Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, Cheap Blu-ray Movies!
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Hunt (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Salem's Lot (Blu-ray)
$9.99
My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2 (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Star Trek: The Animated Series (Blu-ray)
$39.99
10 Cloverfield Lane (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Creed (Blu-ray)
$7.99
London Has Fallen (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Orphan Black: Season Four (Blu-ray)
$14.99
13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi (Blu-ray)
$9.99
High Noon (Blu-ray)
$16.99
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (Blu-ray)
$15.99
The Big Short (Blu-ray)
$9.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 07-25-2016, 10:36 PM   #701

Jun 2016

I like this film but imo certain aspects hold it back from being great.The scene with Kong on ice in N.Y. was bad and should have been cut.
The action scenes are so over-the-top;Kong battling three T-Rex's and the stampede sequence.
I preferred the extended version with the sea monster(Piranhadon?).A great scene that should have stayed in the theatrical cut.
I'm happy that Jackson kept the depression-era backdrop and gave Kong fans a spider-pit sequence.
I still prefer this to the 1976 effort but either version still can't touch the original classic.
Old 07-26-2016, 03:28 AM   #702
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2015
Ohio

Even though the theatrical cut could've been trimmed down, I liked it way more than the extended cut.
My favorite movies of the year so far in no particular order: 1. Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice 2. Captain America: Civil War 3. Suicide Squad
4. Deadpool 5. Hardcore Henry 6. The Revenant
Old 07-26-2016, 12:42 PM   #703
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2011
The Citadel

The stampede sequence and Kong vs 3 V-rex's get the most criticism but to my knowledge they are the only two sequences that were locked in from day one. As a lot of you know, PJ was going to make Kong straight after The Frighteners and a lot pre-production work was done on the movie in the late 90's. One of the key things to come from this was the bust of Kong fighting 3 V-Rex's and the concept of a brontosaurus stampede. This earlier version of Kong was going to have a lot lighter tone, more akin to The Mummy. I recall PJ saying that when Kong didn't happen in the late 90's he requested this bust of Kong fighting 3 V-Rex's himself to have on his desk or something.

While LOTR happened a lot changed with the Kong remake however the two sequences that were always there from the beginning were the stampede and the big Kong/ 3 V-Rex fight.
I am your redeemer, it is by my hand that you will rise from the ashes of this world!!!

PSN ID: levcore

Best Movie Ever Made: Mad Max Fury Road!
Thanks given by:
Scarriere (07-26-2016)
Old 07-26-2016, 01:52 PM   #704
Blu-ray Baron

Mar 2010
Miami, FL

This movie still has that epic scope in my eyes. I always like popping in the Blu-ray once in a while just because its that demo material. It looks even nicer upscaled to 4K.
"GIVE THEM NOTHING! BUT, TAKE FROM THEM... EVERYTHING!"
Thanks given by:
kong73 (07-27-2016), levcore (07-26-2016)
Old 07-26-2016, 10:48 PM   #705
Expert Member

Jul 2015
Karloffornia!!

This is actually a guilty pleasure for me.

I'll usually watch it if I catch it on tv, but man, the stampede scene really annoys me beyond belief. The 'insect pit' scene is pretty damn cool though.
Hey kid, wanna make ten bucks?
Old 07-27-2016, 12:37 AM   #706
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2011
Arizona, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilive View Post
This is actually a guilty pleasure for me.

I'll usually watch it if I catch it on tv, but man, the stampede scene really annoys me beyond belief. The 'insect pit' scene is pretty damn cool though.
You shouldn't feel guilty about it.

I don't get what's so annoying about the stampede scene or the V-Rex x3 scene, we see action like that in plenty of blockbusters, before and since. The river barrel sequence in Desolation of Smaug was one of the highlights of that movie! Super fun and entertaining. It's adventure, it doesn't have to be 100% realistic.
Old 07-27-2016, 12:44 PM   #707
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2011
The Citadel

I have no issue with the stampede sequence, why do people go on and on and on about it? It's humans running away from dinosaurs, we had that in every Jurassic park movie and no one moans about that. Also loads of the party are killed during the scene so it's not like no one is hurt during the scene.

If someone can actually explain to me what they find so egregious about it I would like a proper explanation. Not just "Because CGI sux lolz".

If people were complaining about Kong chucking Ann around like a ragdoll throughout the movie then yes, that I can understand. But the stampede is just a chase scene, what's the big problem?
I am your redeemer, it is by my hand that you will rise from the ashes of this world!!!

PSN ID: levcore

Best Movie Ever Made: Mad Max Fury Road!
Thanks given by:
HarcourtMudd (07-27-2016), kong73 (07-27-2016), Leonidas_King (07-27-2016)
Old 07-27-2016, 01:14 PM   #708
Blu-ray Baron

Mar 2010
Miami, FL

Agreed. Sure, the stampede scene is a over the top but it works extremely well and Jackson executed it wonderfully.
Thanks given by:
kong73 (07-27-2016)
Old 07-27-2016, 01:23 PM   #709
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2011
London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas_King View Post
Agreed. Sure, the stampede scene is a over the top but it works extremely well and Jackson executed it wonderfully.
Yup, I enjoyed that scene, esp. at the end when the dinos are sliding over the cliff. But Kong's fight with the three Trex is one Trex too many, it seems too choreographed.
Old 07-27-2016, 02:28 PM   #710
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

Quote:
This movie still has that epic scope in my eyes. I always like popping in the Blu-ray once in a while just because its that demo material. It looks even nicer upscaled to 4K.
Indeed. I project onto a 2:35 scope screen watching it at around 124" and it's a very nice sight.
JVC DLA-RS4810 front projector (ISF pro-cal'd)
Stewart StudioTek 100, CinemaScope 9 foot wide screen
Samsung 51" F5300B plasma (ISF pro-cal'd)
Oppo BDP-980, BDP-983 & BDP-103D Blu-ray player
Denon 7.1 AVR-X3000 (REW & Audyssey pro-cal'd)
Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 55 (fronts)
Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000 (surrounds x 4)
HSU VTF-15H sub
Thanks given by:
kong73 (07-27-2016)
Old 07-27-2016, 06:17 PM   #711
Blu-ray Count

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by levcore View Post
I have no issue with the stampede sequence, why do people go on and on and on about it?
The CGI looks poor, it's a little too silly and over the top for suspension of disbelief, it is tonally inconsistent with the bulk of the film. Same applies to the T-Rex fight. When he has the CGI to do anything Jackson cannot restrain himself and goes too far.

You can of course disagree with these arguments, but you know why people "go on and on about it" now.
Thanks given by:
Breather (07-27-2016), evilive (07-27-2016)
Old 07-27-2016, 07:03 PM   #712

Jan 2013

hrm...

I actually dislike the stampede sequence and love the V. Rex fight, though it could have been a bit trimmed.... a Jackson issue all around.

The stampede sequence just never looks right to me. And it's also a waste of time in a film that really needed to condense itself a lot.

but the extended does have that water dinosaur bit which is very solid. It's a flawed film no matter what.

I do enjoy it a good bit though. Flaws and all. It's a slog though, I'll admit.
Old 07-27-2016, 07:04 PM   #713

Mar 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbyjoe766 View Post
I like this film but imo certain aspects hold it back from being great.The scene with Kong on ice in N.Y. was bad and should have been cut.
The action scenes are so over-the-top;Kong battling three T-Rex's and the stampede sequence.
I preferred the extended version with the sea monster(Piranhadon?).A great scene that should have stayed in the theatrical cut.
I'm happy that Jackson kept the depression-era backdrop and gave Kong fans a spider-pit sequence.
I still prefer this to the 1976 effort but either version still can't touch the original classic.
I really wish they'd releases the extended cut of the 1977 version (only seen on TV).

The ONLY thing I wish had been cut was the NY ice...waaay too much treacle and I usually fast-forward through that.

And I disagree with those who think the first hour is too long. I loved all that stuff in NY and on the boat...particularly since those sequences had the most nods to the 1933 original.

Yeah, the Bronto scene is over-wrought but it doesn't bore. Of course, it's a bit ridiculous but I guess he was trying to give today's ADD audience what they want. (Just as today's STAR TREK has substituted action for ideas).

The sea monster should NEVER have been deleted. Too be honest, for some reason I like all 3 versions of the story. Have to see if I feel the same about SKULL ISLAND. Since Kong will now be as large as Godzilla, it might be harder to have any sympathy for him.
Old 07-27-2016, 07:42 PM   #714

Oct 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
The CGI looks poor
It's the compositing of the actors with the CGI that really kills the stampede scene. If memory serves, that was one of the last things to be completed, they were rushed, and it shows, big time.

Hunter

Last edited by goathunter; 07-27-2016 at 10:34 PM.
Thanks given by:
evilive (07-27-2016)
Old 07-27-2016, 07:54 PM   #715
Blu-ray Baron

Mar 2010
Miami, FL

And it still looks good.

Anyways, to shut everyone up about the CGI being poor on the stampede sequence.

Let's refresh our memories with this achievement:

I'm done.
Thanks given by:
Dubstar (07-27-2016), HarcourtMudd (07-27-2016)
Old 07-27-2016, 07:58 PM   #716
Suspended

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

Less lovey-dovey, more dino action is good in my book
Old 07-27-2016, 07:59 PM   #717

Oct 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by film11 View Post
I really wish they'd releases the extended cut of the 1977 version (only seen on TV).

The ONLY thing I wish had been cut was the NY ice...waaay too much treacle and I usually fast-forward through that.

And I disagree with those who think the first hour is too long. I loved all that stuff in NY and on the boat...particularly since those sequences had the most nods to the 1933 original.

Yeah, the Bronto scene is over-wrought but it doesn't bore. Of course, it's a bit ridiculous but I guess he was trying to give today's ADD audience what they want. (Just as today's STAR TREK has substituted action for ideas).

The sea monster should NEVER have been deleted. Too be honest, for some reason I like all 3 versions of the story. Have to see if I feel the same about SKULL ISLAND. Since Kong will now be as large as Godzilla, it might be harder to have any sympathy for him.
Stampede scene is fine with me up to the point the dinos all start pilling up on top of each other at the end. The scene of Jack Black's character barely avoiding being turned into jelly by the pile of bodies looks a little too green-screened to me.

I love, love, love, the T-Rex fight. Every bit of it from the vines down to the final jaw break is awesome! My kids get a kick out of it too.
Old 07-27-2016, 09:03 PM   #718
Special Member

Aug 2013
TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by goathunter View Post
It's the compositing of the actors with the CGI that really kills it. If memory serves, that was one of the last things to be completed, they were rushed, and it shows, big time.

Hunter
Yup. I've got weird vision anyways, and that plus the bad compositing on Kong makes it a really strange viewing experience. Any time there's live action and fx in the same frame (so, y'know, most of the movie) the actors look flat and fake and the fx look eye poppingly real. Kong ends up looking real, Naomi Watts and Adrien Brody look like bad Syfy channel fx shots. Love the movie, especially the long version, but it weirds me out every time I watch it.
Old 07-27-2016, 09:41 PM   #719
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2011
London

Quote:
Originally Posted by film11 View Post
Yes, & how could they lose the Stegosaurus scene? It's right out of the original King Kong, the first dinosaur they fight. People have been complaining about how long it is since it was released, I suppose I could lose five minutes off the voyage to the island & the ice skating scene (which everyone hates), but I'm happy with everything else.
Old 07-28-2016, 04:45 AM   #720
Blu-ray Count

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
Anyways, to shut everyone up about the CGI being poor on the stampede sequence.

Let's refresh our memories with this achievement:
Oh man, some other people thousands of miles away disagree with me! I must change my opinions immediately! Maybe there are pills.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America