Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
My Big Fat Greek Wedding (Blu-ray)
$6.98
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Slap Shot (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Spectacular Spider-Man: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$24.99
8-Film Action Collection (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
The Simpsons: The Sixteenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Psycho-Pass: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$100.81
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Grave of the Fireflies (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
High School of the Dead OVA: Drifters of the Dead (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Quiet Man (Blu-ray)
$14.98
High Plains Drifter (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Old 09-06-2012, 05:37 PM   #1

Nov 2011
Oklahoma
Default The Lorax 3D

Just got around to watching this last night. I thought the 3D was good, lots of separation between things, but not a whole lot of popout to bring this one to life. There were a lot of 5-10% out of screen effects (which is nice to see on a consistent basis) but nothing that will wow you

The movie itself was pretty good. Just enough witty banter to keep it fun, and not being familiar with the story I thought it got the message across without dulling down the movie. A fun movie I would recommend
Old 09-06-2012, 06:24 PM   #2

Feb 2012
Dallas, TX

The 3D was decent but I thought the movie was horrible. HORRIBLE! Maybe because I was going off of 'From the makers of Despicible Me' which I loved but this movie was a TOTAL letdown. Kids may like it. I'm just glad I was able to rent it and saved me $20-$25 from ever having to worry about buying it.
Source - Verizon FiOS
TV - LG 65LW6500
Receiver - Yamaha HTR-5930
Player - PS3 120GB
DVD Recorder - Toshiba DR430KU
Speakers - JBL
Remote - Harmony 880
Other - Nintendo Wii
Old 09-06-2012, 06:26 PM   #3
Power Member

Aug 2012

Glad to hear you enjoyed the flick. I can't get myself to rent it. Just not feeling the need to see this. Just too damn colorful and ''fruity'' looking. But, maybe with your intel....I may reconsider.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:57 PM   #4

Jun 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnsmills View Post
The 3D was decent but I thought the movie was horrible. HORRIBLE! Maybe because I was going off of 'From the makers of Despicible Me' which I loved but this movie was a TOTAL letdown. Kids may like it. I'm just glad I was able to rent it and saved me $20-$25 from ever having to worry about buying it.
I totally agee. It literally had no ending or resolution for the main plotlines; the music was terrible; and, IMHO, the editing seems to have done with a butcher's knife.
Old 09-07-2012, 04:38 AM   #5

Nov 2011
Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnsmills View Post
I actually did not care much for Despicable Me. To me, and this is my opinion, just mine of course the Lorax was more enjoyable. It kept things light, and didn't do the whole cliched "oh here comes the part where the villain becomes a good guy and you saw it coming the whole time" bit

This movie jumped around quite a bit, and didn't always focus on just one character at all times so it didn't get dull. I saw the whole "save the trees" message coming and was expecting a tear jerker attempt or two but they refreshingly didn't try to push it and as I said before, kept it light

And yes, it was colorful and fruity at times but that's when the 3D seemed to shine the best in contrast with the darker vibe of the city Ted lives in where they literally "manufacture" air
Old 09-07-2012, 05:10 AM   #6

Aug 2010

I thought it had some of the best 3D I've seen, but I found the movie itself kind of annoying.

I'm typically not a big fan of Dreamworks.

I don't regret buying the movie because of the great visuals, though.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:33 AM   #7
Suspended

Jul 2007
The Paradise of New England

Quote:
Originally Posted by boulder_bum View Post
I thought it had some of the best 3D I've seen, but I found the movie itself kind of annoying.

I'm typically not a big fan of Dreamworks.
Well, good thing it's not a Dreamworks movie, then.

(Or has "Dreamworks" now entered all our vocabularies in the genericized Kleenex/Xerox sense of one all-encompassing word for "Any non-Pixar CGI that looks annoying and overbearing?" )
Old 09-07-2012, 02:26 PM   #8
Expert Member

Jul 2010

I blind bought, watched it and then sold it on Amazon. To kiddie like for me and hated that annoying high pitched singing.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:05 PM   #9

Nov 2010
UK

This has just been added to Amazon UK for 17.99...was going to purchase it..but the comments in this thread have made me pause a bit..i personally loved 'Despicable Me' but never got into the Dr Seuss stuff in my life..I do love my animations though!
Old 09-07-2012, 07:29 PM   #10

Feb 2012
Dallas, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owendarko View Post
This has just been added to Amazon UK for 17.99...was going to purchase it..but the comments in this thread have made me pause a bit..i personally loved 'Despicable Me' but never got into the Dr Seuss stuff in my life..I do love my animations though!
I would suggest renting or borrowing it before spending your hard earned cash to buy it. I'm glad I did!
Source - Verizon FiOS
TV - LG 65LW6500
Receiver - Yamaha HTR-5930
Player - PS3 120GB
DVD Recorder - Toshiba DR430KU
Speakers - JBL
Remote - Harmony 880
Other - Nintendo Wii
Old 10-02-2012, 09:28 AM   #11
Expert Member

Apr 2012
Smile where's the love?

Im surprised by the lack of excitement over this movie. I am about to watch it, and was about to say the title screen looks great...but it just went wonky on me!

I hit the home button accidently and went back in and the picture was too wide or something and I could see menu on both sides but not all...About to try again...Anyone else see anything similar? Am using a ps3.

Well I was about to say, the pop-outs were looking great (the marshmallows for instance), and being from the dudes behind Despicable Me...well???

Anyway, happy 3D viewing to all.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:41 PM   #12

Nov 2010
UK

Well i hopefully be getting it for Chrismas! I do like an awesome looking animation at that time of year! Doesnt come out till November 17th here in UK anyway.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:23 AM   #13
Special Member

May 2010

I thought this was 2D only since I didn't notice the 3D advertised for it during the couple trailers I saw for it on TV. I thought it was weird it wouldn't be in 3D.

Doesn't sound like it's going over too well though.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:04 PM   #14
Expert Member

Dec 2009
Allentown, PA

Just got this from amazon's 15 dollar deal. It came today, but with no slip....
I have the following codes to trade. I only trade for UV codes and I do not sell:

Project X (UV), Paranormal Activity 4 (UV), Twilight Breaking Dawn 1 Extended (iTunes), Twilight Breaking Dawn 2 (iTunes), Twilight Breaking Dawn 2 (UV/iTunes)
Old 01-08-2013, 12:44 PM   #15
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2011
Worcester, UK

Got this for Xmas, and really loved the movie. Loved the story with its environmental concerns and thought the songs and animation were absolutely fantastic. Lovely 3D too, really strong. Not Open Season strong but really good all the same. Highly recommended. In fact i loved it so much, it made me buy Despicable Me, which i also really enjoyed.
Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

3D FAN
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies