Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
My Big Fat Greek Wedding (Blu-ray)
$6.98
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Slap Shot (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Spectacular Spider-Man: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$24.99
8-Film Action Collection (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
The Simpsons: The Sixteenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Psycho-Pass: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$100.81
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Grave of the Fireflies (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
High School of the Dead OVA: Drifters of the Dead (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Quiet Man (Blu-ray)
$14.98
High Plains Drifter (Blu-ray)
$9.96

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Anime

Old 04-01-2014, 09:24 PM   #1281
Power Member

Jan 2013
U.S.A.

From Up On Poppy Hill is still $12.99 for anyone interested in picking it up that hasn't yet.
Roland: What's your name, William? I'm asking you, William Thatcher, to answer me with your name!

#100: Star Wars Original Trilogy Limited Edition Steelbook, #200: No freakin' clue.
#300: Sucker Punch San Diego Comic-Con Exclusive Steelbook - 900 Print Run, #400: From Up On Poppy Hill
Old 04-02-2014, 11:43 PM   #1282

Oct 2010
The Milky Way
Australia A Day In The Life Of A Subtitle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberius View Post
I'm just hoping Lupin gets English subs. If it doesn't because of $%@#ing Discotek...
Quote:
Wow. I didn't own anything Discotek released before, but as far as I'm concerned this is all the more reason to never ever buy anything from them.

In a time when Japan and the US are both in the same region, why Japan can't simply make Blu-rays for everyone in this region (i.e. one Blu-ray with many subtitles) is beyond me. Forget reverse-importation, Japan... just don't license to these American dummies in the first place! Make America come to you!!!

Worst news since the lack of English subs on Kara no Kyoukai: Mirai Fukuin.
How are Discotek responsible for the lack of English subtitles in the Japanese BD of Castle of Cagliostro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREYMAX 3D View Post
I really hate all these stupid games with the subtitles - so some titles in the "complete" box set will/may have English, Russian, or Finnish subtitles, but others won't - what good is that for anyone who speaks English, Russian, or Finnish? "Complete" my ass...
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenPion View Post
So... they are basically saying SOME will be friendly in some language options and others will NOT be - even if they were before? That takes a lot out of importing it for probably a lot of people. (Not to mention the huge cost. Well, I guess I did technically just mention it.)

The bit-rates will be higher on some of them because they are stripping them of some other audio/subtitle options and bonus features? Are they marketing this as a Japanese Blu-ray Superbit release of these Ghibli films?

That's all fine and dandy... the transfers are already impeccable but great bit-rates is a good thing... but why not then add extra DVD discs with the extras? Why not include the countless hours of making of materials produced for each film that was sold with individual releases? (Is it just because they assume most die-hard fans in Japan are already owners of these releases?)

It seems a bit like a missed opportunity for the complete collection (at least to potential foreign customers and to those in Japan who want a truly complete set). Then again, a totally complete set would contain Whisper of the Heart (screenplay by Miyazaki), and both Arrietty and From Up on Poppy Hill (both co-written by Miyazaki). Though I get it - it's supposed to be the 'director' set... but I still think this sounds a but underwhelming considering it's a massive set with a massive list price.
Because everyone wants to make a buck but doesn't want to give away a cent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UseY0ur1llusi0n View Post
Yet another example of the JP DVD having English subs and now the JP BD not...
Try and remember the Japanese.... Majority of the time they don't even get Japanese subtitles on their own Japanese BR releases.
It's only a movie.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:56 AM   #1283

May 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norbie View Post
How are Discotek responsible for the lack of English subtitles in the Japanese BD of Castle of Cagliostro?
Why else would Ghibli hold back on English subtitles for this release? Every other Blu-ray they've released contains English subtitles. Given that both Studio Ghibli and Discotek are releasing Cagliostro in Region A, it looked to me like Discotek probably asked Ghibli to withhold English subs on their release. I still don't think that's an unreasonable guess. If Discotek makes a statement to the contrary in the next several months, I'd be interested in reading it.

It is worth mentioning however that after those posts I concluded if Discotek's AV quality is comparable to the JP Ghibli Blu-ray, I'll buy both and swap the discs. And before you reply, I'm going to acknowledge ahead of time that my plan sounds dumb.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:27 AM   #1284

Oct 2013
Question Huh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norbie View Post
Try and remember the Japanese.... Majority of the time they don't even get Japanese subtitles on their own Japanese BR releases.
Why would they need Japanese subtitles? For the hearing impaired? I think they understand their native language...and that's not true anyways because I've seen plenty of Japanese BD releases with Japanese subtitles included. FOR example, we are talking about the Ghibli BD's, which all have Japanese subtitles, (plus other languages) and the Ghibli release of Lupin ONLY has Japanese subtitles available...So when you say "try to remember the Japanese" I really don't understand your point at all. Your a weird one at quoting, you love the little Aussie flag and title heading huh mate? Why is it in every one of your posts?

edit: here let me join in on the fun, I put a question mark in mine, cause I don't understand you at all.

Last edited by UseY0ur1llusi0n; 04-03-2014 at 02:13 AM.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:41 AM   #1285
Expert Member

Jul 2012
TX, USA
Default Studio Ghibli Collection Discussion

Quote:
Why would they need Japanese subtitles? For the hearing impaired? I think they understand their native language... I don't understand your point.

In Taiwan and Hong Kong, they subtitle (not closed caption) nearly everything on TV in Chinese. And in movie theaters even movies in Mandarin or Cantonese have Chinese subtitles (and English sometimes). I wouldn't be surprised if Japan has a similar presentation for certain movies and shows.

Last edited by disneywildcat; 04-03-2014 at 01:47 AM.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:58 AM   #1286

Oct 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneywildcat View Post
In Taiwan and Hong Kong, they subtitle (not closed caption) nearly everything on TV in Chinese. And in movie theaters even movies in Mandarin or Cantonese have Chinese subtitles (and English sometimes). I wouldn't be surprised if Japan has a similar presentation for certain movies and shows.
I know their are a ton of JP BD's out there with Japanese subtitles, I've added numerous to the database.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:03 AM   #1287
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2010
Amish Country - Lancaster County, PA
Exclamation This is not a subtitle, because it's on the top - This is a supertitle.

Lol.
Web Link: The FREYMAX 3D Projection Theater Troy Frey
Projection: Epson HC 5010 3D projector, RichVision 120" RF motorized screen
Video: Oppo BDP-93, Pioneer Elite DV-46av
Audio: Denon Professional DN-500AV processor, Behringer MX882 (x2)
Amps: Carver Premier 705av, QSC MX2000a, QSC PL218, Mackie M-1400i
Speakers: Cerwin Vega 380SE Mains, Infinity SM152 Rears, Def Tech CLR2000 Center
LFE: Nuonic ATAK 15", Peavey Dual 18", 3 Clark TST209 Transducers (Seat Shakers) in Sofa

Old 04-03-2014, 02:07 AM   #1288

Oct 2013
Australia Norbie the Noob

Old 04-03-2014, 02:19 AM   #1289

Oct 2013

Quote:
Why else would Ghibli hold back on English subtitles for this release? Every other Blu-ray they've released contains English subtitles. Given that both Studio Ghibli and Discotek are releasing Cagliostro in Region A, it looked to me like Discotek probably asked Ghibli to withhold English subs on their release. I still don't think that's an unreasonable guess. If Discotek makes a statement to the contrary in the next several months, I'd be interested in reading it.

It is worth mentioning however that after those posts I concluded if Discotek's AV quality is comparable to the JP Ghibli Blu-ray, I'll buy both and swap the discs. And before you reply, I'm going to acknowledge ahead of time that my plan sounds dumb.
Don't even bother trying to explain it to him, he's doesn't understand. Just quoting a bunch of non-sense to get some kind of kick out of the title heading. Leave the little Norbie car alone, he's a bit slow.. needs some more gas in his fuel tank
Old 04-03-2014, 03:34 AM   #1290
Power Member

Jan 2013
U.S.A.

Quote:
Why would they need Japanese subtitles? For the hearing impaired?
Uhh yeah, you insensitive clod. There are tons of people, young and especially old who have a hard time hearing well. Leaving subtitles out means that person doesn't get to enjoy that piece of entertainment at all. There's only so much you can lip read. I know it's nice having ears that work perfectly but some people have to live with the frustrating reality of seeing lips move and others laughing and joking and understanding, yet they can't join in without the right set of circumstances.

Honestly it's a really screwed up move when companies leave out subtitles. Studio Canal left out English subtitles in their U.S. release of The Third Man and it drives me up the wall despite my ears working perfectly well. That completely hoses every deaf or hard-of-hearing person who might want to watch this classic unless they can pick up the expensive out of print Criterion release.

So make jokes all you want but these stunts actually do affect people and prevent them from enjoying the product at all.
Roland: What's your name, William? I'm asking you, William Thatcher, to answer me with your name!

#100: Star Wars Original Trilogy Limited Edition Steelbook, #200: No freakin' clue.
#300: Sucker Punch San Diego Comic-Con Exclusive Steelbook - 900 Print Run, #400: From Up On Poppy Hill
Old 04-03-2014, 05:33 AM   #1291

Oct 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taikero View Post
So make jokes all you want but these stunts actually do affect people and prevent them from enjoying the product at all.
If you can read properly I wasn't making jokes about the hearing impaired, in fact, that was the only sensible thing I could imagine them including subtitles for, hence why I asked. SO next time, do a bit more reading and you'll find out the only thing I was making jokes about was the crusty rusty poster "Norbie" who made no sense. Norbie is currently in the car shop for repair, please do not disturb.

Thank you.
Old 04-10-2014, 07:25 PM   #1292
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2010
USA

Discotek Media Announces Plans Including Studio Ghibli Co-Founder's "Hols, Prince of the Sun" and "Sherlock Hound" on DVD

Discotek seems to be the only company that finds value in these earlier Miyazaki and Takahata works. I just wish they'd release them on Blu-ray instead of DVD only!
Visit my blog Ghibli Guide or follow me on Twitter for the latest Studio Ghibli news!
Old 04-12-2014, 03:26 PM   #1293

Mar 2010

July 16, spirited away japan!
Old 04-12-2014, 06:13 PM   #1294

Mar 2013

Saw a few more Ghibli movie's for the first time. Nausicaa really grew on me, the soundtrack is really good. Might have to get that manga to see what the rest of the story is like.

I think I like Nausicaa more than How's Moving Castle, which kind of threw me for a loop with the changing between young/old. Howl's animation seems the most similar to Ni Nu Kuni which is cool. I've got Castle and Poppy Hill to watch next.
Old 04-12-2014, 07:02 PM   #1295
Expert Member

Jul 2012
TX, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makarov View Post
Saw a few more Ghibli movie's for the first time. Nausicaa really grew on me, the soundtrack is really good. Might have to get that manga to see what the rest of the story is like.
Although iTunes and Amazon MP3 in the US don't have the Soundtrack to Nausicaa, there is a excellent album called Hisaishi Meets Miyazaki Films. Although it doesn't contain the original record score tracks to Nausicaa, it does contain a selection of Joe Hisaishi's wonderful score for Nausicaa, along with Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away (which is personally my favorite Ghibli score).

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/hi...ms/id278331033
Old 04-13-2014, 01:05 AM   #1296

Jul 2013
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makarov View Post

I think I like Nausicaa more than How's Moving Castle, which kind of threw me for a loop with the changing between young/old. Howl's animation seems the most similar to Ni Nu Kuni which is cool. I've got Castle and Poppy Hill to watch next.
I dont read alot of manga but Nausicaa is definitly a great one. They have a pretty epic complete set out to.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:01 AM   #1297
Expert Member

Aug 2010
West Hollywood, CA

I posted a video on my animation titles, including Studio Ghibli american releases. Check it out if you guys are interested. Thanks!

Old 04-16-2014, 03:57 AM   #1298
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2010
USA

A few screenshots from the upcoming film Omoide no Marnie (When Marnie Was There) have been posted on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/FansOfStudi...2?stream_ref=1
Visit my blog Ghibli Guide or follow me on Twitter for the latest Studio Ghibli news!
Old 04-16-2014, 06:35 PM   #1299
Expert Member

Jul 2012
TX, USA
Default Studio Ghibli Collection Discussion

Marnie will have Ghibli's "first" theme song written in English, which will be written by a American songwriter.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...g-first-696699

I guess Arrietty doesn't count since Arrietty's Song was probably created as a Japanese song first (although there are English and French versions), even though The supporting songs are in English only.

I hope this increases the chance of Disney distributing in North America, though it is more likely GKids will distribute it. Ghibli films tend to reach more theatres in North America under Disney than GKids. Either way, as Ghibli has been producing the English dubs themselves lately as of Poppy Hill, it will reach North America (I would guess probably 2015/2016 to ensure Oscars qualification for the 2015 year).
Old 04-16-2014, 06:45 PM   #1300

Dec 2009

Never know with Touchstone distributing this last one maybe maybe Disney is back on board. If I were Disney I would have just kept the rights to them.
My collection click HT Gallery to view them.
My WTB's HERE
Served in the Military and like blu's come talk about it HERE

*Alert!!!* Best Buy Will Be Changing And Shrinking Their Media Section Soon!!!

Click HERE for more details.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Anime