Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
My Big Fat Greek Wedding (Blu-ray)
$6.98
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Slap Shot (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Spectacular Spider-Man: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$24.99
8-Film Action Collection (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
The Simpsons: The Sixteenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Psycho-Pass: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$100.81
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Grave of the Fireflies (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
High School of the Dead OVA: Drifters of the Dead (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Quiet Man (Blu-ray)
$14.98
High Plains Drifter (Blu-ray)
$9.96

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 04-10-2014, 06:26 PM   #821
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2009
Hazle Township, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenPion View Post
Thanks so much! I really appreciate it.

On a semi-related note... you don't think Time of the Doctor would be included in the eighth season set, right? Seeing as how it's a new Doctor for the eighth season I would think that this special would only be available as a standalone.
I cant see them being included with series 8. Personally I view Day and Time as two completely separate specials that have no place in any particular series much like the Tennant specials.
Marty: Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics.

The Cabin in the Woods (2011)
Old 04-10-2014, 06:40 PM   #822
Special Member

Feb 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by madlost1 View Post
I cant see them being included with series 8. Personally I view Day and Time as two completely separate specials that have no place in any particular series much like the Tennant specials.
Thanks for the response. You've been super helpful.
Old 04-10-2014, 07:45 PM   #823
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2008
NJ, USA

Quote:
Thanks so much! I really appreciate it.

On a semi-related note... you don't think Time of the Doctor would be included in the eighth season set, right? Seeing as how it's a new Doctor for the eighth season I would think that this special would only be available as a standalone.
Some feel Day and Time might be included with Series 8, but I doubt it personally. There have been some rumblings about a special edition release of Day of the Doctor. No word on if it'll include Time as well.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:02 PM   #824
Expert Member

Jul 2011
Buffalofart, AK

Quote:
I am wondering: what WASN'T included on the limited edition set?
The only thing not there is anything made after Series 7 - that would be 'Day of the Doctor' and 'Time of the Doctor'.

If you have this set you have everything up until the end of Series 7 (plus all the extras and goodies). Watch 1-4, then the specials, then 5-7. I didn't own any of these before getting this set, but now I truly feel like I have it all.

I haven't bought 'Day' or 'Time' yet. I am going to wait until Series 8 is released on Blu Ray just to make sure they aren't included in that set (or released together in a 50th anniversary box or something). BBC has yet to release a special that didn't become part of a box set later on, so I am counting on history repeating itself.

Last edited by mrr1; 04-10-2014 at 08:05 PM.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:31 PM   #825

Aug 2007
West Virginia

arghh! I was at the Doctor Who Experience in Cardiff Monday. They had the complete 1-7 blu-ray box set, but i wadnt sure if they work on U.S blu ray players, so I didnt bite. No wifi, so way for me to check at the time. Grr...
Old 04-10-2014, 09:54 PM   #826
Special Member

Feb 2009

Thank you all for your responses. I guess I'll see if I am going to go for the individual releases of the two additional specials... or wait for a possible (but not guaranteed) collection with both. I do want the 3D disc for Day of the Doctor and I doubt that would get released again though.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:59 PM   #827

Sep 2008

Day of the Doctor and Time of the Doctor will absolutely be included in the Series 8 set. If the lack of Capaldi was an issue, Seasons 7A and 7B would never have been packaged together due to the change of companion.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:09 PM   #828
Special Member

Feb 2009

I wouldn't be so sure... especially with the 3D release of day of the Doctor.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:26 PM   #829
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2009
Hazle Township, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Shape View Post
Day of the Doctor and Time of the Doctor will absolutely be included in the Series 8 set. If the lack of Capaldi was an issue, Seasons 7A and 7B would never have been packaged together due to the change of companion.
A change of companion is no where near the major event that a change of Doctor is. Show me one source that states that Day and Time are considered part of Series 8.
Marty: Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics.

The Cabin in the Woods (2011)
Old 04-11-2014, 02:52 AM   #830

Sep 2008

The BBC sells Doctor Who to broadcasters internationally in single series packages. Day of the Doctor and Time of the Doctor were both sold in a package with Series 8 as one full series of the show.

The 2014 Christmas Special, despite filming at the end of Series 8's production schedule and airing only four weeks after 8x13, will be sold in the Series 9 package and thus be considered that series.

Last edited by The Dark Shape; 04-11-2014 at 03:08 AM.
Old 04-11-2014, 03:38 AM   #831
Special Member

Feb 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Shape View Post
The BBC sells Doctor Who to broadcasters internationally in single series packages. Day of the Doctor and Time of the Doctor were both sold in a package with Series 8 as one full series of the show.

The 2014 Christmas Special, despite filming at the end of Series 8's production schedule and airing only four weeks after 8x13, will be sold in the Series 9 package and thus be considered that series.
The way something is sold for broadcast and home media is not necessarily the same... those are different methods of sales. With broadcast, it definitely makes sense because they air them around the same time as part of their scheduled line up. But it doesn't necessarily mean they will both be on the Season 8 set.
Old 04-11-2014, 03:47 AM   #832

Sep 2008

Quote:
The way something is sold for broadcast and home media is not necessarily the same... those are different methods of sales. With broadcast, it definitely makes sense because they air them around the same time as part of their scheduled line up. But it doesn't necessarily mean they will both be on the Season 8 set.
The various box sets have always matched the broadcast packages (i.e., Specials were sold on their own, Specials got a box set). Why bundle them up in the first place otherwise?

There's no reason not to include them. "They have different Doctors!" makes no difference whatsoever.

Last edited by The Dark Shape; 04-11-2014 at 03:49 AM.
Old 04-11-2014, 04:00 AM   #833
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2010
Kittrell, NC

Bottom line really is... There's no rush to run out and buy Day or Time of the Doctor. The price will not go up over time. Worst case scenario is IF they are not part of Series 8, you can bet they will be on sale around or after that series releases and you can pick them up.

I was burned once... during the "year of the specials"... when I thought, since they were "specials" that I should buy them as they came out... so I bought the first two... then the price on the whole set was the same price or less than the cost of the remaining specials were individually... so I ended up buying the set and trading away the separate ones I had already bought.

I learned my lesson. Wait on the specials until I know whether they are part of a complete set or not. I lose nothing by waiting... and in recent years I just save episodes/specials on my DVR until I buy them on Blu-ray... so I can always re-watch anytime I want.
Prying off your face takes practice.
Old 04-11-2014, 01:42 PM   #834

Jun 2012
Metro Detroit

I bought Day of the Doctor because it was in 3D and I really wanted the home 3D experience for that one, but I only purchased the Amazon Instant Video version of Time of the Doctor because I didn't really want to spend $15 on it since there was very little added value in purchasing the Blu-Ray. (But the complete-ist in me wants it in Blu-Ray for uniformity purposes. I just can't win I guess.)
Old 04-19-2014, 05:17 AM   #835
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2008
Calgary, Alberta

Ok, so I'm currently on the 3rd disc of Series 5.

To date, I still think Eccleston was the best acted doctor. I really wish he had done at least two seasons.

Of the three 'new doctors' I think I like Tennant the best overall. I really didn't like Smith until I got into the 2nd disc - but I just can't get past his weird face.

I do really like Amy Pond - not as much as Rose, but close. Probably has a lot to do with her red hair
Modern
Pioneer Kuro PDP-5020FD TV
Pioneer BDP-23FD Blu-Ray
Pioneer SC-67 Receiver
Old School
Sony KD-34XS955 TV
Pioneer HLD-X9 Laserdisc Player
Old 04-20-2014, 06:19 PM   #836

Feb 2009
Columbia, MO

Are they planning on putting each series out on blu individually?
Old 04-20-2014, 07:02 PM   #837
Special Member

Jun 2012
California, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikraq View Post
Are they planning on putting each series out on blu individually?
Yes, that's the prevailing rumor. But it might be a year or two until we see it.

BBC hasn't officially commented on anything though.
1st Blu-Ray: (500) Days of Summer
100th Blu-Ray: Deadwood: The Complete Series
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Tags
box set, doctor who, gift set, limited edition, sci-fi