Best Blu-ray Deals

Black Friday Week is Live, $3.99 Blu-ray Movies »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$29.99
18 hrs ago
Chef (Blu-ray)
$9.99
12 hrs ago
Rain Man (Blu-ray)
$3.99

The Purge: Anarchy (Blu-ray)
$9.99
7 hrs ago
A Million Ways to Die in the West (Blu-ray)
$9.99
19 hrs ago
Person of Interest: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99

X-Men: First Class (Blu-ray)
$3.99

X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Rise of the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$3.99

John Adams (Blu-ray)
$14.99
2 hrs ago
Lone Survivor (Blu-ray)
$7.99

The Princess Bride (Blu-ray)
$3.99
14 hrs ago
The Avengers (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 11-17-2014, 06:00 PM   #2101
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post
$50 for the U.K. set? Hmmmm.

The blurays are encoded at 50Hz?
Not on the UK set -- 100% US compatible. The discs are pretty much identical to the US discs -- same extras, etc. I think it $56-57 shipped right now, but last Nov/Dec/Jan it was less the $45 and a couple times since then it's dropped to around $50. I'm pretty sure it's been a UK Lightning Deal a couple times though those aren't always the best deal for the US customers since the LD is structure so that the VAT is removed before the Discounted price instead of afterwards -- so what you see is what you pay plus around $5 shipping.

The French set has at least some 50Hz material -- assuming they just put the Caprica discs in the new set though i guess we won't know until someone checks it out. I'm not sure how some of the other Non-BSG discs are.
Old 11-22-2014, 04:47 AM   #2102

Aug 2011
Maryland
Send a message via AIM to TheBlayman

http://www.digitalbits.com/columns/m...ts/111914_1515

Petition?
TheBlayman
Sony 60gb PS3 (upgraded to 1TB)
Sony PS4
Sony 65" 3D LED HDTV (XBR HX929)
Sony 3D Blu-ray (BDP-S790)
Sony 7.2 3D A/V Receiver (STR-DN1030)
Sony ES 9.2ch 4K A/V Receiver with Automation (STR-DA5800ES)
Nintendo Wii U Deluxe (3TB ext. HD)
Thanks given by:
AmishParadise (11-22-2014)
Old 11-22-2014, 05:14 AM   #2103

Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlayman View Post
I just made a mess in my pants. WOW! Just WOW!

They should launch a Kickstarter campaign? I'll throw down. Perhaps that would convince Universal to back this. Totally serious.

Last edited by AmishParadise; 11-22-2014 at 06:14 AM.
Thanks given by:
TheBlayman (11-22-2014)
Old 11-22-2014, 02:09 PM   #2104
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2009
Tulsa, OK (but don't hold it against me!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlayman View Post
No way. I thought the modernized effects were lame and looked like a video game, one at least five years old. I'll stick with the original effects, thanks!
Thanks given by:
octagon (11-24-2014), solaris72 (11-22-2014)
Old 11-22-2014, 05:21 PM   #2105
Power Member

Oct 2009
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filmmaker View Post
No way. I thought the modernized effects were lame and looked like a video game, one at least five years old. I'll stick with the original effects, thanks!
I agree, stick to the original effects.
Old 11-22-2014, 05:37 PM   #2106
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filmmaker View Post
Yes, because TEST SHOTS done by a small team is indicative of the final version.

Of course it's better to see the same FX shots over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.
Thanks given by:
TheBlayman (11-22-2014)
Old 11-24-2014, 10:11 AM   #2107

Jul 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by hariseldon View Post
Not on the UK set -- 100% US compatible. The discs are pretty much identical to the US discs -- same extras, etc. I think it $56-57 shipped right now, but last Nov/Dec/Jan it was less the $45 and a couple times since then it's dropped to around $50. I'm pretty sure it's been a UK Lightning Deal a couple times though those aren't always the best deal for the US customers since the LD is structure so that the VAT is removed before the Discounted price instead of afterwards -- so what you see is what you pay plus around $5 shipping.

The French set has at least some 50Hz material -- assuming they just put the Caprica discs in the new set though i guess we won't know until someone checks it out. I'm not sure how some of the other Non-BSG discs are.
BSG UK set was released in Australia using UK discs (Europe ratings printed on it). From looking at the US review of the box set, exactly same as UK/Australian set… As for price, was $350+ when I first looked at it. Bought it for $200 a few years back. Seen it going for just over $100 recently.
Get the UK version if you can as it is a great price for a groundbreaking series, sci-fi or otherwise.

Bought the BSG Original Series BD today. Would have got the BD complete collection set (released in Australia this week): https://www.jbhifi.com.au/movies-tv-...ection/644660/
but I'm not triple dipping on the re-imagined BSG series (DVD then BD), when I am positive they will use the same transfers/authoring that they already have produced.
Hey, You. Dumbass... Yeah, you in the tank... You cosy in there?
They're f***ing with the wrong people
Old 11-24-2014, 11:21 AM   #2108
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2010
Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post
Yes, because TEST SHOTS done by a small team is indicative of the final version.

Of course it's better to see the same FX shots over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.
If you don't want to stare at the same people sitting in the same bar week after week then don't watch Cheers.
And I have been fortunate to escape what has been called “that form of snobbery which can accept the Literature of Entertainment in the Past, but only the Literature of the Enlightenment in the Present.” - Raymond Chandler

'Course I'm respectable. I'm old. Politicians, ugly buildings, and whor*s all get respectable if they last long enough. - Noah Cross
Thanks given by:
solaris72 (11-24-2014)
Old 11-24-2014, 02:15 PM   #2109
Power Member

Jan 2010

Amazeballs...let's do it!!

And of course, let's include the original, untouched episodes, a la Star Trek: ToS for the purists. No problems there, everybody wins (except for Universal apparently).
"The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed..."

Films by spine:
http://www.criterion.com/my_criterio...?sort_by=spine

My Criterion profile:
http://www.criterion.com/my_criterion/36842-david
Old 11-24-2014, 03:44 PM   #2110
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by octagon View Post
If you don't want to stare at the same people sitting in the same bar week after week then don't watch Cheers.

Apples and felgercarb. At least those people in Cheers are doing something different each week. The new footage is the same hardware doing different things.
Old 11-24-2014, 04:17 PM   #2111

Jun 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by italy12 View Post
Amazeballs...let's do it!!

And of course, let's include the original, untouched episodes, a la Star Trek: ToS for the purists. No problems there, everybody wins (except for Universal apparently).
I agree. It would be better to have both updated episodes and original episodes as was done for Star Trek TOS BDs.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America