Best PS3 Deals

Top PS3 Deals, Cheap PS3 Games!
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Grand Theft Auto V (PS3)
$29.99

Assassin's Creed Rogue (PS3)
$50.18
6 hrs ago
Duck Dynasty (PS3)
$29.77

Fifa 15 (PS3)
$53.46
5 hrs ago
One Piece Unlimited World Red (PS3)
$30.23

Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel! (PS3)
$54.08
5 hrs ago
Brave (PS3)
$9.99

Tales of Xillia 2 (PS3)
$36.48
18 hrs ago
GRID Autosport (PS3)
$19.99

Resident Evil 5 (PS3)
$9.99
7 hrs ago
Need for Speed Rivals Complete Edition (PS3)
$50.85

Wolfenstein: The New Order (PS3)
$29.99

Family Guy: Back to the Multiverse (PS3)
$18.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS3

Old 01-15-2013, 12:47 AM   #61
Blu-ray Count

Jul 2007
Vancouver, BC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icemage View Post
Ehhh... the Xbox 360 isn't anywhere close to being "wiped out" and won't be for at least another year or two, and the PS3 probably has its days relatively numbered as well.

Put the pom-poms down and realize that we're at the end of the 7th console generation and the final placement of overall sales only matters to fanboys.

It's just a funny image. I don't see any pom-pom waving going on.
HT EQUIPMENT: Sony Bravia KDL-52W3000, Onkyo 805, B&W M-1s & AS-2 Sub, 60GB PS3, Toshiba HD-A2

FOR SALE/TRADE THREAD: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=55884
Old 01-15-2013, 12:47 AM   #62
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadFL View Post
The only one of those I still feel bad for is the Dreamcast. It deserved much better.
For my tastes, Sega went downhill well before the Dreamcast. Plus that controller is awful. It did have Soul Calibur which got me to buy the damn system.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:32 AM   #63
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2008

Honestly, I think the Dreamcast "gets a bad rap" because it just wasn't that good. It under-performed against its competitor; it had a terrible controller; and it didn't have many compelling titles, aside from a few very good ones. It also didn't help that SEGA at the time had ridiculously poor timing and planning with its consoles and basically killed off every single console released after Genesis.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:37 AM   #64
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2007
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Septimus Prime View Post
Honestly, I think the Dreamcast "gets a bad rap" because it just wasn't that good. It under-performed against its competitor; it had a terrible controller; and it didn't have many compelling titles, aside from a few very good ones. It also didn't help that SEGA at the time had ridiculously poor timing and planning with its consoles and basically killed off every single console released after Genesis.
let's not forget the dreamcast had a slight piracy problem. anyone could burn any game and it'd play it
Old 01-15-2013, 01:51 AM   #65
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2008

Yes, that too.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:46 PM   #66

Jan 2013

I agree with the sentiment that 'shipped != sold', but I can't say I care much about overall placement. I enjoy the PS3 more and have had less issues online with it (socially, that is) however it certainly has flaws that the Xbox doesn't (or less so), such as organizing your PSN social network/friends.

All said, it's so late in this generation that "winning" is over at this point; there's no particularly dominate force, just areas with higher install bases of certain consoles.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:41 PM   #67
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Septimus Prime View Post
Exactly, compared to the competition it was severely lacking. To be fair the VMU itself was really cool concept (great for people who like sports games calling plays), but the core design of the controller is horrible.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:05 PM   #68
Expert Member

Aug 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey View Post
Exactly, compared to the competition it was severely lacking. To be fair the VMU itself was really cool concept (great for people who like sports games calling plays), but the core design of the controller is horrible.
I thought the controller was great, MS took the basic design and improved upon it and thus the 360 controller
Old 01-15-2013, 06:20 PM   #69
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIONSFAN20 View Post
I thought the controller was great, MS took the basic design and improved upon it and thus the 360 controller
I feel the opposite, same crappy d-pad on the 360 controllers as well.

edit: problem especially with the Dreamcast as a lot of the games were Arcade games. That was the biggest strength of the system. When you have a lot of fighters, but a crappy d-pad... well that isn't a good combo.

Last edited by Monkey; 01-15-2013 at 06:33 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:17 AM   #70

Jan 2013

Quote:
I thought it was apparent since the days of the original XBOX that they took the Dreamcast's controller design. I didn't dislike the Dreamcast controller, it was just a bit too chunky on the back.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:13 AM   #71

May 2009

Quote:
The triggers were great but releasing a controller that was missing an analog stick and 5 buttons when compared to Playstation's Dualshock (which was released 2 years earlier) was just ridiculous.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:30 AM   #72
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2010
Detroit, MI

That's amazing to see. I was working at a retail store when PS3 launched and we failed to sell hardly any from the overheating problems and the high pricing and lackluster game library. They turned things around and have made it so profitable. Playstation Plus has turned so many of my friends into PS3 users from the free games and discounts.
Hate Kills Us All
Old 01-16-2013, 03:30 PM   #73
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardenofstone10 View Post
That's amazing to see. I was working at a retail store when PS3 launched and we failed to sell hardly any from the overheating problems and the high pricing and lackluster game library. They turned things around and have made it so profitable. Playstation Plus has turned so many of my friends into PS3 users from the free games and discounts.
Huh? When the PS3 launched, it was sold out everywhere for months, except for ebay, where they were going for well over double their full retail price. I got one from Amazon in December of 2006, but only because I won a drawing for the chance to buy one of the few they got in just before Christmas, and I was apparently extremely lucky to get it, not that I felt lucky to spend 600 bucks on a game console, when I hadn't played games in over a decade, but I needed it for my job and quickly grew to love it. Most of my colleagues in the industry were stunned that I got one, as they, like me, couldn't even get them direct from our Sony contacts.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:03 PM   #74
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2007
College Station, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoulinBlu View Post
Huh? When the PS3 launched, it was sold out everywhere for months, except for ebay, where they were going for well over double their full retail price. I got one from Amazon in December of 2006, but only because I won a drawing for the chance to buy one of the few they got in just before Christmas, and I was apparently extremely lucky to get it, not that I felt lucky to spend 600 bucks on a game console, when I hadn't played games in over a decade, but I needed it for my job and quickly grew to love it. Most of my colleagues in the industry were stunned that I got one, as they, like me, couldn't even get them direct from our Sony contacts.
It didn't take long at all (a couple of weeks) before PS3s started to show up on a regular basis in retail. By the time January rolled around, PS3s weren't too hard to find. I have no idea about hearing about overheating problems. A lot of times its 360 fanboys who see 1 or 2 instances and then they claim that it was tons and tons of them having a problem.

Ebay prices were high at first, but they quickly tapered off to near cost after the market ended up saturated with them.
DALLAS MAVERICKS 2011 NBA CHAMPS!!!!

PS gamertag: Merrick97
Xbox 360: Merrick97
Old 01-17-2013, 02:54 PM   #75
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerrickG View Post
It didn't take long at all (a couple of weeks) before PS3s started to show up on a regular basis in retail. By the time January rolled around, PS3s weren't too hard to find. I have no idea about hearing about overheating problems. A lot of times its 360 fanboys who see 1 or 2 instances and then they claim that it was tons and tons of them having a problem.

Ebay prices were high at first, but they quickly tapered off to near cost after the market ended up saturated with them.
I'm aware that supply exceeded demand by the second, maybe even the first quarter of 2007, more due to the price than anything else. But when it "launched" in 2006, they were impossible to find around here, not just the week it was released - which I remember the news reports of people camping out for days (weeks?) in store parking lots just to buy one, rather vividly, but through the holiday. I checked every time I visited Walmart, CC, BB or any of the other stores that carried them that I frequented. I even contacted Sony directly (not their consumer department) and was told it would be the first of the year before they'd be able to accomodate me, which my memory of the conversation left the impression that I couldn't expect anything until Feb or March of 2007. I believe there were a lot of orders ahead of me and they usually priortize retailer orders for products that are selling so well they don't really need advertising.

I remember the overheating thing, it wasn't that common and was usually attributed to placing the device in a tight, enclosed space. Seems like a few retailers that had them encased in clear display box all day for customers to demo was where much of the overheating reports were generating from. It was just a popular excuse for people looking for a reason not to drop 5-6 hundred bucks on another console when they already had a PS2 or XBox and couldn't really afford a PS3. Not to mention rumor-mongering from all those who drank the red coolaid. But that's the internet for you, the people who know the least about a subject, usually have the loudest opinions on it.

Last edited by MoulinBlu; 01-17-2013 at 02:57 PM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS3