Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, Cheap Blu-ray Movies!
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Miami Vice: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$59.99
Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.96
Risen 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Knight Rider: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$59.99
Pete's Dragon (Blu-ray)
$27.99
Miracles from Heaven (Blu-ray)
$13.99
Risen (Blu-ray)
$13.99
Captain America: Civil War 3D (Blu-ray)
$22.99
The Legend of Tarzan (Blu-ray)
$24.95
The Legend of Tarzan 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.95
Pokémon: The Movies 1-3 Collection: Pokémon: The First Movie / Pokémon: The Movie 2000 / Pokémon 3: The Movie (Blu-ray)
$21.99
The Flash: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$37.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 10-02-2015, 11:05 PM   #2881
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2010
Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCrutchy View Post
I just find it interesting that they only branded them in Japan, despite continuing to brand other titles (like My Girl, Troop Beverley Hills, 1776, Bram Stoker's Dracula, etc.) worldwide. I know the branding confused some, but it was always perfectly clear to me.

And here is a Japanese back cover of The Age of Innocence, seemingly confirming it is part of the lineup (again, not surprising, considering it sports a new 4K master):

It makes me wonder if they have also included the two Capra titles, since they are from 4K masters, too. I wonder how if and how the "Mastered in 4K" tech would work with black and white films.

Here's The Equalizer. The marketing machine does his job.

Old 10-02-2015, 11:10 PM   #2882
Contributor

Dec 2008
East Coast, USA

And to deepen the mystery, here is a Sony title, taken from a 4K master and released internationally in 2014, that is apparently not part of the "Mastered in 4K" line, (ironically coming out in Japan on the same day as The Age of Innocence, November 5th, 2014):

Like Age of Innocence, the disc should be the same everywhere, including the one Sony just released in the U.S. last week.
"You might very well think that; I couldn't possibly comment."
Old 10-02-2015, 11:18 PM   #2883
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2010
Netherlands

I have no answers. At least we can inform each other over the forums.
Old 10-02-2015, 11:23 PM   #2884
Contributor

Dec 2008
East Coast, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieter V View Post
I have no answers. At least we can inform each other over the forums.
Indeed. I know Sony also has a couple of Japanese BDs that are in this line, too, and I will definitely be getting their new Bram Soker's Dracula BD if it looks like it will be a Japan-only release, (that is, if Japanese options don't pop up on, say, an Eastern Europe BD, since they won't be on the North American or the other European one), since it's also part of the "Mastered in 4K" series.
Old 10-02-2015, 11:28 PM   #2885
Expert Member

Jul 2008

Quote:
Here's The Equalizer. The marketing machine does his job.

The Equalizer was finished at 2K....
Old 10-02-2015, 11:31 PM   #2886
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2010
Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterXDTV View Post
The Equalizer was finished at 2K....
Quote:
I contacted Sony Japan about The Equalizer, when I saw that info earlier. (I know which Japanese website you use. ).
The Equalizer only did get an additional xvYCC color treatment. Other then that, there is nothing special. No 4K DI and the DCP was 2K as well. First hand info.

The Age of Innocence is indeed 4K. See also cap-a-holic for the caps. 4K look.
Previous page.
Old 10-03-2015, 09:30 AM   #2887
Blu-ray Prince

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCrutchy View Post
And to deepen the mystery, here is a Sony title, taken from a 4K master and released internationally in 2014, that is apparently not part of the "Mastered in 4K" line, (ironically coming out in Japan on the same day as The Age of Innocence, November 5th, 2014):

[Show spoiler]

Like Age of Innocence, the disc should be the same everywhere, including the one Sony just released in the U.S. last week.
According to Sony's own 4K scan list Christine was scanned at 4K and finished at 2K (and probably from an IP at that). It's not really a "mystery", it probably wasn't mastered with xvYCC colour so it doesn't qualify for that specific line.
Old 10-03-2015, 02:33 PM   #2888
Special Member

Dec 2011
Gotham

So have Sony stopped doing the Mastered in 4K thing? I haven't seen any new titles in a long time. Or are they releasing movies and not advertising them? If so, is there some sort of list of movies which are from a 4K master?
Old 10-03-2015, 02:46 PM   #2889
Blu-ray Prince

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

And just to add to my post above, it could well be that a title must be transferred from the negative to qualify for the officially branded 'Mi4K' label. The 2K thing clearly isn't much of a barrier to inclusion, e.g. the Total Recall remake has been part of the Mi4K line since the beginning and that was also finished at 2K and scanned at 4K (again, according to Sony's own 4K list). So as long as the initial scan itself is at 4K or higher from the negative and the movie is then graded for xvYCC during the video trim pass then it gets branded as Mi4K by those Sony rascals.
Old 10-03-2015, 02:52 PM   #2890
Blu-ray Prince

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightopian View Post
So have Sony stopped doing the Mastered in 4K thing? I haven't seen any new titles in a long time. Or are they releasing movies and not advertising them? If so, is there some sort of list of movies which are from a 4K master?
Most new releases from Sony do have the Mi4K labelling but they've seemingly stopped doing it as a barebones 'superbit' style brand unto itself, which is a good thing IMO because it means they don't skimp on the extras.
Old 10-03-2015, 02:57 PM   #2891
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2010
San Jose, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightopian View Post
1776 and My Best Friends Wedding have the Mastered in 4K advertising on the back of the covers. Just not advertised on the front. It could be they just dropped the marketing somewhat.
Old 10-03-2015, 02:59 PM   #2892
Blu-ray Prince

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Most new releases from Sony do have the Mi4K labelling but they've seemingly stopped doing it as a barebones 'superbit' style brand unto itself, which is a good thing IMO because it means they don't skimp on the extras.
And they removed Mastered in 4K from the front cover (it's just on the back) and as most people don't even look at back covers, we don't have the usual questions to go with new releases.

Luckily Sony don't make Supreme Cinema Series TVs and BD players otherwise we'd get people asking if that range only worked on Sony gear.

I've probably jinxed it now ... cue Sony and their new Supreme Cinema range of AV gizmos ...
"Sometimes it scares me how far away my brain is." DC
"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." AE
''I have no idea what Hammer Time is. Or how it differs from regular time." DM
"How many times do I have to buy this thing?" MH
"Sure. Fine. Whatever." DS
Old 10-03-2015, 03:10 PM   #2893
Blu-ray Prince

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Maybe that's what they'll call their inevitable line of Dolby Vision TVs, the 'Supreme Cinema' series??
Old 10-03-2015, 04:22 PM   #2894
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

Quote:
According to Sony's own 4K scan list Christine was scanned at 4K and finished at 2K (and probably from an IP at that). It's not really a "mystery", it probably wasn't mastered with xvYCC colour so it doesn't qualify for that specific line.
What was the reason for 2K finishing a movie like Christine?
JVC DLA-RS4810 front projector (ISF pro-cal'd)
Stewart StudioTek 100, CinemaScope 9 foot wide screen
Samsung 51" F5300B plasma (ISF pro-cal'd)
Oppo BDP-980, BDP-983 & BDP-103D Blu-ray player
Denon 7.1 AVR-X3000 (REW & Audyssey pro-cal'd)
Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 55 (fronts)
Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000 (surrounds x 4)
HSU VTF-15H sub
Old 10-03-2015, 04:29 PM   #2895
Blu-ray Prince

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyHitter View Post
Cost, probably. It's cheaper to scan high and finish low than scan high and finish high, then downscale.
"Sometimes it scares me how far away my brain is." DC
"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." AE
''I have no idea what Hammer Time is. Or how it differs from regular time." DM
"How many times do I have to buy this thing?" MH
"Sure. Fine. Whatever." DS
Old 10-03-2015, 04:50 PM   #2896
Contributor

Dec 2008
East Coast, USA

Quote:
Maybe that's what they'll call their inevitable line of Dolby Vision TVs, the 'Supreme Cinema' series??
New for 2017: Sony GOSCS-75P Dolby Vision 4K UHDTV (75" diagonal) for a limited time, comes with all six of the GARY OLDMAN SUPREME CINEMA SERIES UltraHD Blu-ray Discs:

Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992) starring actor Gary Oldman
Léon: The Professional (1994) starring actor Gary Oldman
Immortal Beloved (1994) starring actor Gary Oldman
The Fifth Element (1997) starring actor Gary Oldman
Air Force One (1997) starring actor Gary Oldman
Nil by Mouth (1997) written and directed by writer/director Gary Oldman

Includes a new visual essay: No, Gary Goldman is Someone Else, You've Got Your Wires Crossed There presented by and starring film enthusiast Gary Oldman

Watch as legendary English star Gary Oldman utilizes the latest in Sony 4K Ultra HD and Dolby Vision technology to prove that he and American animator Gary Goldman are not, in fact, the same person*.

*Warning: Contains violence and bloody images, as well as pervasive strong language. Families with small children, as well as persons sensitive to the sight of a large, heavy object being used to beat a man, may not wish to indulge.

Last edited by McCrutchy; 10-03-2015 at 04:55 PM.
Thanks given by:
Geoff D (10-03-2015), MattPerdue (10-03-2015), Oniros (11-25-2015), Tech-UK (10-03-2015)
Old 10-03-2015, 06:07 PM   #2897
Blu-ray Prince

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyHitter View Post
Sony did the same for Fright Night, Fisher King and plenty of others which were initially licensed out for Blu-ray a few years ago: 4K scan off an IP for a 2K master. If they were going to be releasing it themselves in their biggest single market (NA) then they'd probably have done what they're doing with the 'Supreme Cinema' series, but for these lower level catalogues what they did was still fine IMO. However, with this big 2016 push for 4K coming up I think Sony want to underline their 4K credentials so they're making a big thing of these new 4K 'restorations'.

McC: that's brilliant. Perhaps if the TV comes with a Siri style interface in future they can do one with Gary Oldman's voice in his true South London lilt: "You want what fackin' channel? You trying to mug me off?".
Old 10-03-2015, 07:34 PM   #2898
Banned

Jun 2010

Quote:
Sony did the same for Fright Night, Fisher King and plenty of others which were initially licensed out for Blu-ray a few years ago: 4K scan off an IP for a 2K master. If they were going to be releasing it themselves in their biggest single market (NA) then they'd probably have done what they're doing with the 'Supreme Cinema' series, but for these lower level catalogues what they did was still fine IMO. However, with this big 2016 push for 4K coming up I think Sony want to underline their 4K credentials so they're making a big thing of these new 4K 'restorations'.

McC: that's brilliant. Perhaps if the TV comes with a Siri style interface in future they can do one with Gary Oldman's voice in his true South London lilt: "You want what fackin' channel? You trying to mug me off?".
Down sampling ftw
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America