Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, Cheap Blu-ray Movies!
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Only Yesterday (Blu-ray)
$22.99
The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies (Blu-ray)
$12.09
Breaking Bad: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.49
The Pacific (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Angry Birds Movie 3D (Blu-ray)
$22.50
The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension (Blu-ray)
$22.99
McCabe & Mrs. Miller (Blu-ray)
$27.99
Ballers: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$19.95
The Return of Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Chimes at Midnight (Blu-ray)
$27.99
The Divergent Series: Allegiant (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Independence Day (Blu-ray)
$9.96
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2015, 10:04 PM   #641
Adam_WM Adam_WM is offline
Special Member
 
Adam_WM's Avatar
 
Jan 2012
Parts Unknown
100
258
7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenge View Post
You're both right. However since MCC is primarily a children's film, it was decided (for better or worse) to excise the song since it was indeed a pace-killer and would leave younger children bored.

Definitely worse. LOL
Hear me on the Geek League of America Leaguecast !
Projector: EPSON 6030UB
Speakers: (2) Klipsch RF-82, (1) RC-82, (2) RS-42, (2) RS-52
Subwoofers: (1) Klipsch RSW-10d, (1) Polk RM 7200
Receiver: Onyko TX-NR709
SONY BDPS-5500, Playstation 3, Xbox 360
Universal Remote Control URC MX880 // Vutec VuFlex Pro 103" screen
Please rate my theater here!
LTB: Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs UV Code
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Falaskan (12-15-2015)
Old 12-17-2015, 04:41 AM   #642
f451 f451 is offline
Active Member
 
f451's Avatar
 
Mar 2012
Boulder
314
3
42
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke_45 View Post
You can't be serious. That song provides the emotional wallop at the heart of the film. I'll continue to watch the LD version of the film until Disney revisits this release.
Yes, it does pack an emotional wallop and it is, arguably, the heart of the film. That tune is woven into the film score and is reprised in the closing scene and revisited in the end credits.

My understanding is that Disney deleted the song over the objections of the director. This whole issue could be easily resolved via seamless branching allowing viewers to select theatrical or extended versions -- both in widescreen, please.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 01:00 AM   #643
Falaskan Falaskan is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Falaskan's Avatar
 
Mar 2011
207
60
1
17
Default

I wonder if this will end up like the Dawn Treader re-releases that Amazon posted two different times and never ended up actually shipping. Still, if anyone else founds out this is a seamless branching type of version I will buy this and gladly pay for 1day shipping. lol
*Badass on the internet - Momma's boy in real life!*
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 08:12 PM   #644
Falaskan Falaskan is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Falaskan's Avatar
 
Mar 2011
207
60
1
17
Default The Muppet Christmas Carol - November 6, 2012

Anyone know anything about this release? I watched the horrid looking full screen version of this again this year but just can't live without that song!
*Badass on the internet - Momma's boy in real life!*
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 12:53 AM   #645
Aragorn the Elfstone Aragorn the Elfstone is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Aragorn the Elfstone's Avatar
 
Sep 2008
Rivendell
385
176
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by f451 View Post
Yes, it does pack an emotional wallop and it is, arguably, the heart of the film.
This, absolutely.

The past three Christmases, I've watched the Blu-ray version and just kind of gritted my teeth and tried to get over the song missing. But each time the film was missing something.

This year, I cued up the song on Youtube and paused the Blu-ray when the spot came up, played the missing scene, and then resumed the Blu-ray.

As a result, all the emotion was right there as it should be. The scene is the emotional linchpin of Ebenezer's character and the whole film. It should never have come out.

Sadly, at this point, I don't see any future release containing the complete film. Surely, if Disney had even the slightest inclination to do it, it would have been for the Blu-ray release.
"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 12:59 AM   #646
Bates_Motel Bates_Motel is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Bates_Motel's Avatar
 
Jul 2014
2
Default

I guess none of you saw this in the theater, because the song was cut for the theatrical version.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 01:02 AM   #647
Aragorn the Elfstone Aragorn the Elfstone is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Aragorn the Elfstone's Avatar
 
Sep 2008
Rivendell
385
176
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bates_Motel View Post
I guess none of you saw this in the theater, because the song was cut for the theatrical version.
No, I didn't.

In any case, it's not like this was the first (or last) time a movie had an important scene(s) cut for theatrical release.
"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 01:21 AM   #648
bluRazor bluRazor is offline
Senior Member
 
bluRazor's Avatar
 
Oct 2008
twin city area
8
569
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bates_Motel View Post
I guess none of you saw this in the theater, because the song was cut for the theatrical version.
??? Several of the posts above you state why the scene was cut against the will of the director, why would you guess that the people discussing the continued exclusion of the scene on the blu-ray release would be ignorant of the fact that it was cut before it was released theatrically?
70" sharp led - denon 4311ci - emotiva xpa-2 - oppo bdp 93 - kef reference 200c/3.2's - axiom audio qs8's - dual hsu research vtf-15h's - ps4 - harmony one

32" samsung led - denon 2311ci - ps3 - wii - goldenear tech supersat 3's- dual Martin Logan dynamos - sennheiser hd595
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 03:24 AM   #649
mzupeman mzupeman is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
mzupeman's Avatar
 
Oct 2009
Upstate New York
856
123
6
Default

Disney may have wanted to keep things as brisk and light as possible. This was for children, after all.
2012 favs: Prometheus, Indiana Jones: The Complete Adventures, Universal Classic Monsters, The Terminator (UK), E.T. (digibook), JAWS (digibook), Walking Dead Season 2 w/ Zombie Head, Full Metal Jacket (digibook), Star Trek TNG Season 1, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Casablanca, Game of Thrones Season 1, Cleopatra (UK)
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 04:17 AM   #650
Bates_Motel Bates_Motel is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Bates_Motel's Avatar
 
Jul 2014
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluRazor View Post
??? Several of the posts above you state why the scene was cut against the will of the director, why would you guess that the people discussing the continued exclusion of the scene on the blu-ray release would be ignorant of the fact that it was cut before it was released theatrically?
Because most of them probably are?

Regardless, the film on blu is how the film played theatrically. Period. So nothing was "cut" for the blu release.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 05:26 AM   #651
Falaskan Falaskan is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Falaskan's Avatar
 
Mar 2011
207
60
1
17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bates_Motel View Post
Because most of them probably are?

Regardless, the film on blu is how the film played theatrically. Period. So nothing was "cut" for the blu release.
Actually it's said more was cut for the blu-ray release, They edited the music a bit so any smidgen left of the song was no longer traceable. For those like me who have seen it for years, I noticed that change as well.
*Badass on the internet - Momma's boy in real life!*
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 06:08 AM   #652
Aragorn the Elfstone Aragorn the Elfstone is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Aragorn the Elfstone's Avatar
 
Sep 2008
Rivendell
385
176
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bates_Motel View Post
Because most of them probably are?
This one isn't.

Quote:
Regardless, the film on blu is how the film played theatrically. Period. So nothing was "cut" for the blu release.
Ugh, it's semantics. Fine, the Blu is the compromised, non-director's cut "Theatrical" version. I, however, grew up on my VHS copy for 16 years before purchasing the DVD in 2009.

As far as I'm concerned, that trumps whatever version was in theaters for a couple months. The studio can do what they want, yes - just as I can complain about whatever I want.
"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Last edited by Aragorn the Elfstone; 12-27-2015 at 06:35 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 01:07 PM   #653
mzupeman mzupeman is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
mzupeman's Avatar
 
Oct 2009
Upstate New York
856
123
6
Default

Well, we aren't entitled to anything. At the end of the day, we choose to buy the product, or we don't. *shrugs*
2012 favs: Prometheus, Indiana Jones: The Complete Adventures, Universal Classic Monsters, The Terminator (UK), E.T. (digibook), JAWS (digibook), Walking Dead Season 2 w/ Zombie Head, Full Metal Jacket (digibook), Star Trek TNG Season 1, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Casablanca, Game of Thrones Season 1, Cleopatra (UK)
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 02:00 PM   #654
bluRazor bluRazor is offline
Senior Member
 
bluRazor's Avatar
 
Oct 2008
twin city area
8
569
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bates_Motel View Post
Because most of them probably are?

Regardless, the film on blu is how the film played theatrically. Period. So nothing was "cut" for the blu release.
The scene was "cut" from the film in a some what controversial decision before its theatrical release. The fact that the scene was "cut" from the theatrical release does not change the definition of the word "cut". We have the theatrical cut on blu-ray, some of us wanted more. The " cut" scene has been included in previous home video release's & it would have been fairly simple to include it via seamless branching. So something was "cut" for the blu-ray release.
70" sharp led - denon 4311ci - emotiva xpa-2 - oppo bdp 93 - kef reference 200c/3.2's - axiom audio qs8's - dual hsu research vtf-15h's - ps4 - harmony one

32" samsung led - denon 2311ci - ps3 - wii - goldenear tech supersat 3's- dual Martin Logan dynamos - sennheiser hd595
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 06:33 PM   #655
whbinder whbinder is offline
Special Member
 
whbinder's Avatar
 
Jul 2008
Phoenix, AZ
632
1
Default

This may have been mentioned, and I apologize if it's being repeated here. Very few director's cuts from before a few years ago make it to blu-ray. The theatrical cuts for films were done on film. Any further changes were typically done on video for a VHS release, so no HD elements exist.

Oh sure, they could recreate them with raw footage, but that's a considerably larger investment of time and money.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 07:05 PM   #656
Falaskan Falaskan is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Falaskan's Avatar
 
Mar 2011
207
60
1
17
Default The Muppet Christmas Carol - November 6, 2012

It still stands to be said, they edited the scene even slightly more for the bluray. Why at this point they felt the need to do that for a home video release and not include the "EE" at all, baffles the mind.
*Badass on the internet - Momma's boy in real life!*
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 07:05 PM   #657
DMRI2006 DMRI2006 is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Apr 2009
94
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bates_Motel View Post
Because most of them probably are?

Regardless, the film on blu is how the film played theatrically. Period. So nothing was "cut" for the blu release.
Because Disney executives cut the scene and cut it so late you could see splice marks when it first played makes it OK? Their opinion means more than the director? Guess because "that's how it played theatrically" just makes everything alright then...

Fact is the scene was restored to the first video releases on laserdisc and VHS at the directors insistence. So Disney can screw with it, and us, as.much as they want...so long as it isn't included you'll have a lot of people including the guy who directed the film irritated that it's not there.

Then again maybe you want focus groups and studio executives telling you how a movie ought to be cut instead of the people who made it.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
bluRazor (12-28-2015)
Old 12-27-2015, 07:09 PM   #658
DMRI2006 DMRI2006 is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Apr 2009
94
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whbinder View Post
This may have been mentioned, and I apologize if it's being repeated here. Very few director's cuts from before a few years ago make it to blu-ray. The theatrical cuts for films were done on film. Any further changes were typically done on video for a VHS release, so no HD elements exist.

Oh sure, they could recreate them with raw footage, but that's a considerably larger investment of time and money.
What you are wrong about though is that the scene in question WAS IN THE FILM from the beginning. The movie was locked and finished and the song was there. At the last minute the studio opted to cut it. This wasn't some rethought Directors Cut done on video...the movie that was released was not the original cut of the movie as it was completed and intended to be seen.

Last edited by DMRI2006; 12-27-2015 at 07:15 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:50 AM.