COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Pacific Rim 3D (Blu-ray)
$28.99
Predator Bundle (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Battle Royale (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Gangs of New York (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Source Code (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Leviathan (Blu-ray)
$15.89
Pacific Rim (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Last Vegas (Blu-ray)
$9.99
World War Z 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.18
Last Action Hero (Blu-ray)
$5.19
Mr. Peabody & Sherman (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Jaws (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$189.99
Nymphomaniac: Volumes I and II (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 Double Pack (Blu-ray)
$19.96
God's Not Dead (Blu-ray)
$17.29
The Big Chill (Blu-ray)
$27.59
Herzog: The Collection (Blu-ray)
$139.99
House of Cards: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 03-27-2014, 01:27 AM   #821
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yojimbo68 View Post
Yes. It is the source material I have qualms with. I didn't care for Watchmen either, so I guess I'm not into heaping portions of pointed liberal satire with my "funnybooks". I loved the Nolan trilogy and I felt that had some of the pointed satire of Dark Knight Returns but didn't rub my nose in it. I adore the original Robocop as well and that film has plenty of pointed satire and definitely has the feel of a graphic novel. I get that comic books "grew up" in the 80's. I just didn't like some of the liberal pot shots. They were too on the nose and frankly a bit naive for my taste as far as DNR is concerned. I'll leave it at that.
Quote:
I didn't have a problem with his critique of Liberalism. I thought it was very perceptive.

I was under the impression that u read it already....so im surprised that Millers writing did that. you dont like the liberal shots yet u do???
Old 03-27-2014, 02:51 AM   #822

Jan 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmon77 View Post
I was under the impression that u read it already....so im surprised that Millers writing did that. you dont like the liberal shots yet u do???
I read it when out came out and despite the "liberal"' take on the mayor and his actions the commentary on Reagan and his brand of conservatism, which is clearly heartless was more poignant and damning: the mayor hurt only himself while the republican was hiding in space, selling the population up the river.
Old 03-27-2014, 04:22 AM   #823
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2011

subplots
Old 03-27-2014, 04:24 AM   #824
Special Member

Jul 2008

Quote:
Yeah. I meant conservative pot shots. My bad...
Old 03-27-2014, 04:33 AM   #825
Special Member

Jul 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastx View Post
That us versus them mentality is idiotic, divisive, fosters fear and hate, and prevents political cooperation. So I wish I didn't ever have to say it about anyone.

Nor should anyone embrace the negative traits associated with a stereotype.
So I guess I should be wishy washy, middle of the road and abandon core beliefs? No thanks. And that "political cooperation" comment is priceless. I have a viewpoint and so do you. That's what makes America so great. IMHO.
Old 03-27-2014, 05:48 AM   #826
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehalc View Post
Quite frankly, I wouldn't be too proud of being a stereotypical conservative or liberal. I'm a pretty middle of the road type guy but I never failed to be blown away when folks say the word liberal like it is a bad thing. Many of the greatest programs of the twentieth century sprang from liberal ideals. But I've probably said too much already. The most dependable way to ruin friendships (especially in an online environment) is to talk politics.
There are hardly any real liberals left in America. Which is only too obvious when you see moderate conservatives like Bill Clinton and Barack Obama referred to as "liberals." You have to be pretty far to the right to see those guys as being on the left. haha

None of which has much to do with DKR. As I said before, the only way to take offense to half of Miller's satire in the comics, or this adaptation, is to be very biased yourself. Miller was not (at the time), and his satire on both sides is both pointed and hilarious.
Thanks given by:
CraigThom (07-03-2014)
Old 07-03-2014, 09:00 PM   #827

Apr 2011
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

$11.99 on amazon dot ca...ordered!
we rejoice in being connected without touching...thank god for the internet...we stare at our screens all our lives...what a waste of eyes...
Old 07-03-2014, 09:03 PM   #828
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2013
UK, south

I hope that. Batman Begins gets the 4K treatment next year. It will be the 10th anniversary after all

I can't watch TDK and TDKR on blu ray for the simple reason that they both lose a lot of their appeal on the smaller format. I saw those films the way they were intended to be watched - on IMAX. And while they are flawed films, the format heightened those films and they stood as being incredibly immersive pieces of entertainment. With the first one, I never caught it at the cinema and feels it works just as well on the small screen than it does on a bigger screen anyway.

Come on, bring on the 4K release with DTS sound
Always outnumbered never outgunned
Old 07-03-2014, 09:57 PM   #829

Sep 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by theprestige85 View Post
I hope that. Batman Begins gets the 4K treatment next year. It will be the 10th anniversary after all

I can't watch TDK and TDKR on blu ray for the simple reason that they both lose a lot of their appeal on the smaller format. I saw those films the way they were intended to be watched - on IMAX. And while they are flawed films, the format heightened those films and they stood as being incredibly immersive pieces of entertainment. With the first one, I never caught it at the cinema and feels it works just as well on the small screen than it does on a bigger screen anyway.

Come on, bring on the 4K release with DTS sound
This isn't about the Christopher Nolan films, but it's an easy mistake to make. The names are very similar.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:36 PM   #830
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2013
UK, south

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigThom View Post
This isn't about the Christopher Nolan films, but it's an easy mistake to make. The names are very similar.
Always outnumbered never outgunned
Old 07-03-2014, 11:22 PM   #831

Jun 2012
AZ
Talking

I finally got the DELUXE set since it had the Frank Miller doc. I was kind of bummed. AS a long time fan there was nothing new on that doc and even FM himself did not seem too into it. I was hoping of more actual pics of the original art. I gotta wonder if he is just done talking about his older material at this point.

At least I got a nice Directors commentary.
Current Rig
Panasonic p50s60 50" 1080p Plasma
LG BD530 Blu-Ray Player
Yamaha RX-V377 Lossless True HD/DTS MA 5.1 Receiver
Yamaha Matched NS-SP1600 5.1 Speakers
Old 07-04-2014, 04:29 PM   #832

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkManX View Post
I finally got the DELUXE set since it had the Frank Miller doc. I was kind of bummed. AS a long time fan there was nothing new on that doc and even FM himself did not seem too into it. I was hoping of more actual pics of the original art. I gotta wonder if he is just done talking about his older material at this point.

He was probably just heavily sedated in order to keep the crazy under control.
-Paul Acevedo
Twitter: @PaulRAcevedo
Old 07-04-2014, 05:03 PM   #833
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkManX View Post

Miller's interview was obviously filmed years before this set.
It would have been nice if he discussed his project AND this project.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:26 PM   #834
Power Member

Mar 2012
Columbia, MO

This is on sale for a great price at $11.99 on Amazon right now..is it worth a complete blind buy? I know it's crazy but I've never watched a single animated Batman show so not sure what to expect.
"Oh, and on the off chance there are any astronomy aficionados amongst you, the North Star is that one. Tata." - Dr. King Schultz
Old 07-21-2014, 04:11 PM   #835

Jul 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaerGriggs View Post
This is on sale for a great price at $11.99 on Amazon right now..is it worth a complete blind buy? I know it's crazy but I've never watched a single animated Batman show so not sure what to expect.
In my opinion, if you wanted to get into animated Batman movies there are definitely better places to start. however, if you like Frank Miller or are are a fan of Peter Weller who voices Batman, then this might be up your alley. I am not a fan of Peter Weller's take on the character and thought his performance was a little flat.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:49 PM   #836
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Brannigan View Post
In my opinion, if you wanted to get into animated Batman movies there are definitely better places to start. however, if you like Frank Miller or are are a fan of Peter Weller who voices Batman, then this might be up your alley. I am not a fan of Peter Weller's take on the character and thought his performance was a little flat.
Weller's cold + Deathwish-esque performance was fine for Miller's take.
I dont see old Wayne/Batman-Beyond's voice fitting Miller's TDKR.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:56 PM   #837

Jul 2012

Quote:
Weller's cold + Deathwish-esque performance was fine for Miller's take.
I dont see old Wayne/Batman-Beyond's voice fitting Miller's TDKR.
I actually hadn't considered utilizing the Old Man Wayne from Batman Beyond. It took a while (And lots of therapy), but I finally accepted that Conroy is not going to voice Batman in everything.

I just consider Weller to be one of the least of the Batmen, it felt like he was just collecting a paycheck. It's hard for me to explain, but the voice texture just didn't fit the character.
Thanks given by:
eastx (07-26-2014)
Old 07-22-2014, 01:17 AM   #838

Aug 2008
San FranJose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Brannigan View Post
I actually hadn't considered utilizing the Old Man Wayne from Batman Beyond. It took a while (And lots of therapy), but I finally accepted that Conroy is not going to voice Batman in everything.

I just consider Weller to be one of the least of the Batmen, it felt like he was just collecting a paycheck. It's hard for me to explain, but the voice texture just didn't fit the character.
I disagree with you take on Weller as Batman. I thought he sounded excellent. In the beginning of the movie you hear his dissatisfaction in where his(Bruce's) life has become. And cranky Batman, before meeting Robin. After he meets her, and him coming to grips with everything after the fight with the mutant leader, when we see batman next there is a change in Weller's delivery that made the movie for me. When Bruce has his meeting with Clark its just perfect. This is my most watched Batman movie, next to Begins.
JackKnight_Starman Profiler List
Mitsubishi WD65835 65" DLP RPTV
Oppo BDP-93
Onkyo TX-SR609 A/V Reciever

" You can fool some of the people all of the time, and those are the ones you need to concentrate on." President George W. Bush, 2001
Old 07-22-2014, 11:05 AM   #839

Sep 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaerGriggs View Post
I bought it a few months ago when it was on sale and loved it. I'm not the world's biggest Batman fan, and I haven't bought comic books since the Silver Age, but I liked this well enough to buy the books.

Batman is more of a sociopath in this than in anything else I've seen.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America