Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The China Syndrome (Blu-ray)
£14.99

The Adventures of Mark Twain (Blu-ray)
£4.99
9 hrs ago
Orange Is the New Black: Season Four (Blu-ray)
£12.00

Grease (Blu-ray)
£12.00
8 hrs ago
Get Out (Blu-ray)
£6.00

Attack on Titan: Complete Season One Collection (Blu-ray)
£19.99

Firefly: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
£14.99

Grease: 3-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
£13.00
8 hrs ago
In This Corner of the World (Blu-ray)
£6.99

Woodfall: A Revolution in British Cinema 1959-1965 (Blu-ray)
£59.99

Darkest Hour 4K (Blu-ray)
£19.99

Brawl in Cell Block 99 (Blu-ray)
£6.00

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland

Old 09-06-2014, 10:40 PM   #1
Blu-ray Baron

Aug 2009
UK
United Kingdom Blue Velvet (1986) - Nov 03 2014 - Includes deleted scenes

I noticed recently that there was a pre-order up for a new release of Blue Velvet on Blu-ray, courtesy of High Fliers. I wasn't interested initially as I'm happy with the Universal release that's currently available in the UK, but it looks like this'll include the hour of deleted scenes that was previously on the US disc. The BBFC rated them today as 'Newly discovered lost footage.'

Blue Velvet Blu-ray
"Also, The Last Jedi would've been a better movie if it was Blade Runner 2049." - GLaDOS

"Another person to ignore and GLADLY. dallywhitty, dallyunwhitty, he's the expert on posting etiquette." - bootsy

"I knew I would hate you with every ounce of my fiber the first day I joined these forums. I wish nothing but the worst to befall you." - Kylo Ren

Last edited by dallywhitty; 09-07-2014 at 12:41 AM.
Old 09-06-2014, 10:55 PM   #2
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2013
United Kingdom

Oh FFS, I've literally only picked up the existing release a couple of days ago.....
Split like light refracted....
....across a moonlit mile
Old 09-07-2014, 11:13 AM   #3
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2013
UK

I have the US disc with the deleted scenes, but i would gladly buy this again if the image has been cleaned up. There's a lot of dirt and debris on the MGM disc, basically it's a transfer of the old DVD master at higher resolution.
Old 09-08-2014, 08:39 AM   #4
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2010
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderwalk View Post
I have the US disc with the deleted scenes, but i would gladly buy this again if the image has been cleaned up. There's a lot of dirt and debris on the MGM disc, basically it's a transfer of the old DVD master at higher resolution.
A new transfer? I doubt it. The existing one looks fine to me. Incidentally, any Blue Velvet fans should get the French digibook - its rather nice and the disc is the same as the US one.
Would you like some coffee, Mr. Tully?
Do I?
Yes, have some.
Yes, have some!
Old 09-08-2014, 09:16 AM   #5
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2013
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDiGriz View Post
A new transfer? I doubt it. The existing one looks fine to me. Incidentally, any Blue Velvet fans should get the French digibook - its rather nice and the disc is the same as the US one.
I agree it's a nice transfer, clarity and colour are excellent, but i find the amount of white specks quite distracting. When you consider a number of low budget fairly obscure films get a mint Blu-ray release, you would think an American classic like BV would get the 5 star treatment.
Old 09-08-2014, 12:34 PM   #6

Oct 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderwalk View Post
Agreed. The US disc is watchable but could easily be improved. Wild At Heart is even worse for print damage and Eraserhead is pretty bad as well, not sure what it is about Lynch films!
Old 09-08-2014, 01:51 PM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2011
Stockholm, but Sussex when back in UK
-
-

If it's coming from High Fliers don't expect anything good at all they have one of the worst reputations for quality going, just slapping out any old content on disk. They have been dire back to their days of a rental VHS and DVD company with very few sell through titles.
Old 09-08-2014, 03:26 PM   #8
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2010
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcy30 View Post
If it's coming from High Fliers don't expect anything good at all they have one of the worst reputations for quality going, just slapping out any old content on disk. They have been dire back to their days of a rental VHS and DVD company with very few sell through titles.
Bound to have a new transfer then
Do I?
Yes, have some.
Yes, have some!
Old 10-10-2014, 10:31 PM   #9
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2013
Hants, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcy30 View Post
Was about to ask if this is worth getting and ditching the old disc but I think I'll pass! Just noticed it's dropped in price. I've seen it on other sites though, not sure why it says it's an Amazon Exclusive...
Old 10-17-2014, 12:26 AM   #10
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2007
...somewhere in Sweden
-

this release certainly looks intriguing; says amazon exclusive with 52 minutes of unseen footage.
are people saying this footage was already on the original US bd?
why is it 2 discs?

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Blue-V...lu-ray/111966/
Old 10-17-2014, 08:18 AM   #11
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2010
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkadin View Post
this release certainly looks intriguing; says amazon exclusive with 52 minutes of unseen footage.
are people saying this footage was already on the original US bd?
why is it 2 discs?

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Blue-V...lu-ray/111966/
52 minutes = deleted scenes that are on every release except the older UK one it seems.
Do I?
Yes, have some.
Yes, have some!
Old 10-17-2014, 09:48 AM   #12
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2007
...somewhere in Sweden
-

gotcha.
but still wondering why it is 2 discs.
Old 10-17-2014, 11:08 AM   #13
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2013
Hants, UK

Probably so it sells better. Think I'll pass as apparently the label are generally atrocious.
Old 10-21-2014, 01:23 PM   #14
Expert Member

Jun 2010

I came across an advert for this in the latest edition of Total Film. Was intrigued about pre-ordering it, but I decided to hold back after reading the comments on this thread.
MY FAVORITE FILMS/TV SHOWS OF 2017 (SO FAR):

1. DUNKIRK
2. BLADE RUNNER 2049
3. THE BEGUILED
4. PERSONAL SHOPPER
5. WIND RIVER
Old 03-30-2015, 01:34 PM   #15

Jan 2009

Defo an uptick in pic quality on this compared to previous versions. But strangely no subs. Not looked at additional footage as of yet..
Old 05-25-2016, 12:31 PM   #16
Special Member

Feb 2013
Edmonton, AB

Is there anyone who has this that can confirm if it's B locked? The previous Universal version shows B locked and I'm wondering if it's based off that release? Probably is since the deleted scenes were added to the second disc? Thanks!
1. "Serve the public trust"
2. "Protect the innocent"
3. "Uphold the law"
Old 05-25-2016, 01:04 PM   #17
Special Member

Jan 2015
Bristol, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakdonark View Post
Is there anyone who has this that can confirm if it's B locked? The previous Universal version shows B locked and I'm wondering if it's based off that release? Probably is since the deleted scenes were added to the second disc? Thanks!
Not sure, but I have the US release with (I believe) the same extras and deleted scenes, great PQ/AQ and that's region free.

Edit: it doesn't have the interview with Hopper from the UK disc.
Old 05-25-2016, 03:38 PM   #18
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakdonark View Post
High Fliers do lock BDs and this one has a region B label on the back.
"Sometimes it scares me how far away my brain is." DC
"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." AE
''I have no idea what Hammer Time is. Or how it differs from regular time." DM
"How many times do I have to buy this thing?" MH
"Sure. Fine. Whatever." DS
Old 05-25-2016, 05:00 PM   #19
Special Member

Feb 2013
Edmonton, AB

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip75 View Post
High Fliers do lock BDs and this one has a region B label on the back.
Thanks for your help. I have a couple of arrow discs that are listed as Region B but played back fine on my regular player, and I've had no experience with High Fliers yet. I actually got the French digibook so I was selling this UK release. It's still sealed otherwise I would have checked myself. And it's easier to sell if it's region free. I will check up on that Dennis hopper interview. If it's worth it I might just keep the extras disc and sell the movie on its own.
1. "Serve the public trust"
2. "Protect the innocent"
3. "Uphold the law"
Old 07-16-2016, 06:03 PM   #20

Jun 2010
Default Blue Velvet Blu-ray 25th Anniversary question

Hi i am looking to get the Blu Ray Blue Velvet due to very good reviews and feedback.I was looking today on Amazon and in HMV but could not find a 25th Anniversary edition and it not say anything on the box.This what it looked like Amazon UK https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blue-Velvet...ay+blue+velvet AND here is what the US version look's like and make it alot more clear that this the 25TH.http://www.thedigitalbits.com/item/b...iversary-ed-bd

My question is should it say 25TH Anniversary on the box ? and will have it the lost footage same extra's etc ?

Thank you.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland