Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Prime: E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial 4K… $9.99 (52% claimed)
Prime: Peter Rabbit $12.40 (34% claimed)
Prime: Serenity 4K $11.99 (63% claimed)
Prime: Darkest Hour $9.99 (2 hours left)
Prime: Game of Thrones: Seasons 1-7 $74.99 (14 hours left)

Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Harry Potter: 8-Film Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$99.99

The Shape of Water (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Call Me by Your Name (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Justice League (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Ferdinand (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Mission: Impossible III 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
7 hrs ago
2001: A Space Odyssey 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.85

Mission: Impossible 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Outlander: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Jumanji (Blu-ray)
$6.80
3 hrs ago
The Naked Gun Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$9.91

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Old 05-05-2017, 11:38 PM   #21

Dec 2010
California

Quote:
Originally Posted by drush9999 View Post
Yes definitely
I watched it without seeing the previous movies, and enjoyed the hell out of Logan.
Same Here. Great movie. Plus, it makes me want to see the others now!
"Where do you think you're going? Nobody's leaving. Nobody's walking out on this fun, old-fashioned family Christmas. No, no. We're all in this together. This is a full-blown, four-alarm holiday emergency here. We're gonna press on, and we're gonna have the hap, hap, happiest Christmas since Bing Crosby tap-danced..." -Clark Griswold
Old 05-06-2017, 04:14 AM   #22
Expert Member

Mar 2016
Don't worry about it.

You can watch any movie without seeing any other movie first. Hollywood is in the business of making money.
Nina, this is my house, you work for me, and I want to suck your toes. -Arthur Herk
Old 05-06-2017, 04:59 AM   #23
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2017
Cow Country

I would say watch the original X-Men, your choice of X2 or Origins, and The Wolverine at the minimum. There's a five minute scene in Apocalypse you can look up that is relevant if you wish, but don't waste time watching the movie, nothing is directly referenced in Logan.
[Show spoiler]Not even the stinger. Caliban is practically a different character.

I say your choice above because X2 is the better movie but barely spends any time on Wolverine's background. Origins is a cheese fest but is very relevant to Logan and carries over at least two minor plot tokens.

While Days of Future Past is an excellent movie, I don't believe it is essential to understanding the story in Logan because ultimately
[Show spoiler]even though Logan succeeded in his mission and got the happy ending, we're basically right back where we started as far as the mutant population goes. The world is saved, but not for mutants according to a throwaway line in Logan. Whether it was the Sentinels or the junk food, it doesn't matter. If anything, DOFP connects more to Xavier than to Logan because we once again see him on the outs.
"A tap-dancing chicken act? Gonzo, I've never heard of anything as ridiculous as a dancing chicken."

"How about a talking frog?"

Rubber Duckie is actually a spy.
Old 05-06-2017, 05:01 AM   #24
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2013
Orlando, FL

Hate to be that guy, but why wasn't this question asked in the original thread for Logan?
Thanks given by:
Batmon77 (05-06-2017)
Old 05-07-2017, 11:59 PM   #25
Power Member

Mar 2012
South Italy

Only ever seen the first X Men, literally over a decade ago. I want to get all the extended/director's cuts of all the films so far on Steelbook (I actually purchased a cool lenticular steel for DOFP, haven't watched it- then the Rogue cut was released too).

Which are the best steels to get for all the extended cut, all the deleted scenes and any making-of documentaries?
Faster than a bullet from a gun. Closer to Heaven than to Earth.

2K setup: 65" Panasonic VT65, Onkyo TX-SR608 7.2, Oppo BDP-103 Region-Free, Sonus Faber Venere 2.5 fronts, Jamo E8CEN centre, E800 surrounds and rear surrounds, E8SUB subwoofer, Sony MDR-HW700DS 9.1 headphones, Monster Power HTS-2600, 1TB Mediacentre, 500GB PS4, Cyron RGB LEDs. 50" VT30 and 40GB fat PS3 in the lounge.

4K setup to follow...
Old 05-08-2017, 12:59 AM   #26
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2015
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by headphones View Post
You can watch any movie without seeing any other movie first. Hollywood is in the business of making money.
You know what he meant.
One minute you're giving Yvonne some romance novel version of how we met, and now you're spouting f**king Hegel on the deck. -Noah Solloway

Rest in peace to the victims of the tragedies in Humboldt, Saskatchewan and Toronto, Ontario. You will never be forgotten.
Old 05-08-2017, 06:39 AM   #27
Blu-ray Champion

Sep 2014

You can but as you see from other replies its recommended you check out at least some of the others. I'm actually going to watch all the X-Men films again in preparation of watching Logan again when the BD comes out.
Old 05-08-2017, 07:10 AM   #28
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2013
S.E. Michigan
Exclamation This Isn't Homework, it's a Hero's Journey

Watch ALL of the previous movies, in release order, for maximum impact. It's the difference between Logan being a diversion and being devastating.

X-Men
X2: X-Men United
X-Men III: The Last Stand
X-Men Origins: Wolverine
X-Men: First Class
The Wolverine
(Unleashed Extended Edition)
X-Men: Days of Future Past (theatrical version)
X-Men: Apocalypse

People saying you don't need DoFP are daft. Logan is the central hero of that one, the roles are reversed in that Logan becomes the mentor to young Xavier, and it sets up Logan and Xavier as being the only two mutants with full knowledge of both timelines, strengthening the bond between the two.
2018 Theatrical Movies RANKED: 1. Avengers: Infinity War 2. Rampage 3. Pacific Rim: Uprising 4. The Strangers: Prey at Night 5. A Quiet Place 6. Deadpool 2 7. Ant-Man and the Wasp 8. Solo: A Star Wars Story 9. Black Panther 10. Upgrade 11. The Hurricane Heist 12. Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom 13. Ocean's 8 14. Chappaquiddick 15. Winchester 16. Ready Player One 17. Isle of Dogs
Thanks given by:
Batmon77 (05-08-2017)
Old 05-08-2017, 08:34 AM   #29
Banned

Jul 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobics View Post
I think so. It does little to explain anything in the past. I really wish it would have taken place much later and even explained how the mutants vanished. I felt their explanation was lame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam_ME View Post
I think they were backed into a corner though. They wanted Charles in the movie, but he was already in his 90's with it being set in 2029. Jumping any further into the future would've required having him be over 100 and that would've been hard to believe unless they put David Lo Pan makeup on Patrick Stewart.

I agree though that there was lazy writing setting up the premise. It's the main reason I couldn't enjoy the movie.
My exact thoughts. Mangold is technically proficient but a bit of a lazy filmmaker in other regards who just does a big "who cares" if he thinks the story he wants to tell trumps any common sense. The inattention to detail and disrespect to its OWN film series- let alone the source material- detracted from the small but genuine enjoyment I was getting out of this movie. It doesn't feel like a true conclusion to the X-Men series but more like an alternate timeline "what if?", and ends up being neither fish nor fowl. The slight pretentiousness it gives off, combined with everyone thinking it's so great, does kind of wear on me a bit as it could not exist without the ties to the other movies it lazily references. So long answer, yes, you need to watch the others, but it doesn't matter other than giving a weight to the actors playing the characters.
Thanks given by:
Arawn (05-08-2017), Batmon77 (05-08-2017)
Old 05-08-2017, 08:41 PM   #30
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2015
Canada

I'd watch X-Men 1, First Class, and The Wolverine in preparation. Those are all very good to great movies, whereas the rest range from horrible to mediocre. No need to subject yourself to that.

With my plan, you get to enjoy good movies, you will have some backstory (and, anyways, Logan is self-contained to a degree), which is nice, if for no other reason than to appreciate 17 years of Hugh Jackman in the role.
One minute you're giving Yvonne some romance novel version of how we met, and now you're spouting f**king Hegel on the deck. -Noah Solloway

Rest in peace to the victims of the tragedies in Humboldt, Saskatchewan and Toronto, Ontario. You will never be forgotten.
Old 05-08-2017, 11:32 PM   #31
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2017
Cow Country

All 21 seconds of him in First Class?
"A tap-dancing chicken act? Gonzo, I've never heard of anything as ridiculous as a dancing chicken."

Old 05-08-2017, 11:46 PM   #32
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2013
S.E. Michigan
Canada

...And "appreciating 17 years of Hugh Jackman in the role" by watching 3 / 8 movies.

You know, people can make up their own mind which of the movies are "good," after actually watching them.
2018 Theatrical Movies RANKED: 1. Avengers: Infinity War 2. Rampage 3. Pacific Rim: Uprising 4. The Strangers: Prey at Night 5. A Quiet Place 6. Deadpool 2 7. Ant-Man and the Wasp 8. Solo: A Star Wars Story 9. Black Panther 10. Upgrade 11. The Hurricane Heist 12. Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom 13. Ocean's 8 14. Chappaquiddick 15. Winchester 16. Ready Player One 17. Isle of Dogs
Old 05-09-2017, 12:49 AM   #33
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2009
Kingsport, TN

I would recommend the first two x-men movies. The Last Stand isn't all that necessary, IMO. Charles dies in that. You can probably skip to X-Men: Wolverine, Days of Future Past and then Logan. I think those movie will give more in the way of history and why Logan is willing to care for Charles in the movie.

Sure, you can watch it all by itself. There is enough in it to understand the longevity of their relationship. But the other movies help, too.
Happiness is not having to set the alarm for the next day.

OLED55B7A
LG UP970

Old 05-09-2017, 01:36 AM   #34
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynatnite View Post
Charles dies in that.
But not really.
MHOR CHN LCHT RRD. GU BIDNNG SHN FEHD RO FHUAR. GD J'DI CRRN SA TU NAF EUN OA. - Thon
Old 05-09-2017, 03:12 AM   #35
Blu-ray Count

Dec 2011
USA

I can watch Logan without rewatching the other X-Men movies, yes.

Origins Wolverine is my next favorite after Logan regarding Wolverine's character.
List of Strong 3D Movies on Blu Ray 3D / Most PSVR PS4 games with strong stereo 3D
Old 05-09-2017, 03:21 AM   #36
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2017
Cow Country

If anything, Origins at least has the bullets in it.

Old 05-09-2017, 08:29 PM   #37
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2015
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinobipopcorn View Post
All 21 seconds of him in First Class?
It's a great scene in a great movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillamon51 View Post
...And "appreciating 17 years of Hugh Jackman in the role" by watching 3 / 8 movies.

You know, people can make up their own mind which of the movies are "good," after actually watching them.
They can, but then they wouldn't bother making topics specifically looking for recommendations otherwise.

Old 05-10-2017, 01:43 AM   #38
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillamon51 View Post
Watch ALL of the previous movies, in release order, for maximum impact.
Also watch Children of Men and the Distant Thunder/dark side ending material from The Force Unleashed II.

And maybe Shane.
MHOR CHN LCHT RRD. GU BIDNNG SHN FEHD RO FHUAR. GD J'DI CRRN SA TU NAF EUN OA. - Thon
Thanks given by:
borgmatrix (05-10-2017)
Old 05-10-2017, 09:19 AM   #39
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2010

I think it works as a standalone. if you wanted to see the previous ones, you might as well see them all

Good:
X Men
X2
First Class
Days of Future Past

Meh:
Apocalypse
The Wolverine

Bad:
X3
Origins: Wolverine
http://card.psnprofiles.com/1/TalalHmd.png

Display: Samsung KS9500 65"
Player: Samsung UBD-K8500
AV Receiver: Marantz SR6010
Old 05-10-2017, 12:25 PM   #40
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2015
Delaware

I'd need to go back and re-watch it, but I think it's a big maybe, slight yes. I definitely felt that the movie stood out on its own and didn't call back to the previous movies much.
I has Steam. All interested parties, message me at The Laughing Mann for gameplay and the like.

"We are the devils drawing our own damn dirty deals from the world. The hardest deal of all is where we get nothing and the world gets everything."
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Tags
logan, wolverine, x-men, xmen