Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Blow (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Last Starfighter (Blu-ray)
$6.96
The Quiet Man (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
My Big Fat Greek Wedding (Blu-ray)
$6.98
The Spectacular Spider-Man: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Slap Shot (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Beyond Outrage (Blu-ray)
$12.96
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
WCW's Greatest Pay-Per-View Matches, Volume 1 (Blu-ray)
$18.74
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
The Art of the Steal (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Bound (Blu-ray)
$14.98
Hannibal: Season One (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 03-04-2014, 01:45 PM   #981
Special Member

Aug 2009
Surprise Arizona

I used too, but like so many others have said, not anymore. Way too may bad experiences. Most people just don't care and that includes your best of friends and family.
= if anyone touches my Blus!
Epson 6010 3D projector
Elite Cinetension electric 120" screen
Samsung UN55C800 55"
Denon 3808CI
7.2 Def Tech speakers with SVS PB2000 & PB12 NSD
Oppo BDP-93
APC J-10 power conditioner
Other stuff
Old 03-04-2014, 01:52 PM   #982
Special Member

May 2010
Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenSilvas79 View Post
No. I was just asked by my stepdaughter and her husband,who visited today to borrow a bluray from me. They live 5 mins away and this is the first time they've come to my house since Thanksgiving! I had let them borrow DVDs before and they took care of them,but then it became an all the time thing. I felt like a free video rental store because they'd borrow the DVD out of new release combo packs. Now they have a bluray player. When they asked for the movie it came out of nowhere. I politely said that I didn't lend out my blurays. They looked pissed about my reply right away. Then I even tried to talk about something else which was met with a few mumbled responses and then they said they had to go. Maybe it's my fault for keeping a small amount of movies on a shelf by my tv I hate coming across like a selfish ass.

I've had bad experiences with my SD before she was married with DVDs she borrowed and didn't return for 5 months,getting them back scratched,covered with greasy fingerprints. Borrowed and never returned books,etc.

My main reason not to lend besides worrying about getting them back in pristine condition,is that I don't want to become a free rental place. Borrow this,borrow that. Then having to ask for it back it's always a pain. Plus they never come over. I don't want people to "visit" just because they want to borrow my movies
People not respecting your choice and giving you grief about something you are not even obligated to do are terrible.

The fact that they assume it will be ok says enough
Old 03-04-2014, 01:56 PM   #983
Special Member

Jan 2013
Jacksonville, Florida

I would and I do but as of right now its kind of hard to build a collection when there are movies missing. I wouldn't mind if I had every shelf filled but as of right now I am still trying to fill the big void in my collection.
Old 03-04-2014, 01:59 PM   #984
Special Member

May 2010
Netherlands

you do not have to loan something out that you love/ cherish/collect.

Its like someone coming over to your house and asking you if they can screw your girlfriend. When you say no they get pissed off and leave.

Same thing basically
Old 03-04-2014, 02:07 PM   #985
Special Member

Jan 2013
Jacksonville, Florida

I remember lending out my Nintendo 64 controller to one of the guys in my neighborhood and it was only to be for an hour or two for them to play their game. Hours turned to days and about 2 weeks passed and I finally saw the guy at school and asked him for it. He said Junior has it.

I never got it back and Junior whoever he was probably pawned it off.

I forever have that in the back of my head when lending things out.
Old 03-04-2014, 02:20 PM   #986
Special Member

Aug 2009
Surprise Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaNL View Post
you do not have to loan something out that you love/ cherish/collect.

Its like someone coming over to your house and asking you if they can screw your girlfriend. When you say no they get pissed off and leave.

Same thing basically
Funny. Not even close. If I posted something like that, you might as well and go for it cause she won't be around anymore.
Maybe borrowing money would be a good comparison? Basically?
Epson 6010 3D projector
Elite Cinetension electric 120" screen
Samsung UN55C800 55"
Denon 3808CI
7.2 Def Tech speakers with SVS PB2000 & PB12 NSD
Oppo BDP-93
APC J-10 power conditioner
Other stuff
Old 03-04-2014, 02:23 PM   #987

Aug 2013

I have no problem lending people my movies. I simply tell them that movie would cost "xx.xx" if anything happens to it, and make sure they understand that they are responsible for it. If it doesn't come back or comes back screwed up, they either pay for it or find a new friend.
Old 03-04-2014, 02:25 PM   #988

Jul 2010
California

I used to and happily at that. However, people suck. They really do. I don't get the lackadaisical approach to borrowing things and being an absolute irresponsible stain on humanity on returning them. It also is a terrible position to put the loaner in to literally go after and nag to get the return back, which somehow makes me look like the bad person.
Old 03-04-2014, 02:27 PM   #989
Special Member

Jan 2013
Jacksonville, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by nottu77 View Post
I have no problem lending people my movies. I simply tell them that movie would cost "xx.xx" if anything happens to it, and make sure they understand that they are responsible for it. If it doesn't come back or comes back screwed up, they either pay for it or find a new friend.
I tell them I break thumbs and stomp ankles.
Old 03-04-2014, 02:38 PM   #990

Aug 2012
South Attleboro, MA

Of course I lend my collections out, Books, Movies, Cd's. Why else would I have them? Just to sit on a shelf and look pretty? If my friends or family want to borrow something that is ususually fine by me unless it's new and I want to watch it and haven't had a chance yet. Friends, friends, and new friends are completeley different, I don't know them enough to trust them.
And I have some neices I wont lend to anymore because of returned damaged movies butt the loss is on me, I lent it to them.
Also the movie borrowing has decreased dramatically since I started a digital collection and set up some friends and family with access.
Old 03-04-2014, 02:53 PM   #991
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2009
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talzin78 View Post
And I have some neices I wont lend to anymore because of returned damaged movies butt the loss is on me, I lent it to them.
You are allowing yourself to be taken advantage of! Whomever you lend your personal items to, they are totally responsible if anything happens to it, while it's in their possession. If the item is returned to you damaged, and not in the same condition when it was borrowed, then the person is held liable to replace, or pay for the damaged material(s).
Old 03-04-2014, 02:56 PM   #992

Aug 2012
South Attleboro, MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimdude View Post
You are allowing yourself to be taken advantage of! Whomever you lend your personal items to, they are totally responsible if anything happens to it, while it's in their possession. If the item is returned to you damaged, and not in the same condition when it was borrowed, then the person is liable to replace, or pay for the damaged material(s).
The way I see it I lent it to High School Teenage Girls...my bad.
Their just material things, family and friendship is much more important to me than a movie.
Old 03-04-2014, 03:08 PM   #993
Blu-ray Prince

May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A. DigiBooks------------------->85 SteelBooks™-------------->101

Quote:
Their just material things, family and friendship is much more important to me than a movie.
Hard earned money is hard earned money whether it's in a BD or something else.
Old 03-04-2014, 03:11 PM   #994
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2011
England

To answer the question, nope I would never loan out my collection.
Old 03-04-2014, 03:13 PM   #995
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2009
-
-

Quote:
This is true, but still family members, and close friends should take care, and be responsible for items that they borrow.
Old 03-04-2014, 03:18 PM   #996

Aug 2012
South Attleboro, MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimdude View Post
This is true, but still family members, and close friends should take care, and be responsible for items that they borrow.
And for the most part that is true, %99 of my collection is in excellent condition after being lent out. But I loaned some DVD's to High School Girls and should have known better.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America