Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Gatchaman: Complete Collection + OVAs (Blu-ray)
$59.99
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Simpsons: The Sixteenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Grave of the Fireflies (Blu-ray)
$12.99
The Spectacular Spider-Man: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Blow (Blu-ray)
$6.98
The Pawnbroker (Blu-ray)
$19.16
High School of the Dead OVA: Drifters of the Dead (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Quiet Man (Blu-ray)
$14.98
Intolerable Cruelty (Blu-ray)
$10.49
The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Beginning / The Little Mermaid II: Return to the Sea (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Old 06-12-2013, 01:49 AM   #141

Oct 2012
Hollywood, CA

Well meanwhile, let me know how the aspect ratio and the menu look...

Last edited by Greycomm; 06-12-2013 at 05:30 AM.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:34 PM   #142

Jun 2013
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greycomm View Post
TT's cover for Lost Horizon is hideous. Again bypassing the original title/poster art for standard font and who knows where they got the rest... Sony on the other hand, did a fairly nice job with the original art on the DVD.

Disc label not bad here, actually keeps original title art. Wonder what the menu is like.

Funny, after all the times we've had to pay extra for a DVD in the package of a blu title, it would have been a good idea to have one in here. They're assuming anyone who wants this has already upgraded to Blu and doesn't want to take it on the go and watch from laptop or car.
Got the ALLL blu today. I like the booklet, the menu design is the same as the front cover, the aspect ratio looks fine, allows for more information top and bottom while sacrificing minimally at the sides...Haven't watched the whole thing yet, but what I saw was beautiful and definitely worth the wait, not perfect blu-ray quality but a solid 4 out of 5 for sure. The picture quality of the soft shoe sequence, on my screen anyway (720p), was quite acceptable, a bit grainy yes, but nothing terrible and doesn't ruin the integrity of the film...also includes a nifty trailer 3.5 minutes long, I had never seen it before ...the only thing I didnt like was the 'eco-friendly' wagonwheel case but hey, you can't have everything!

Last edited by docc; 06-13-2013 at 02:38 AM.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:43 AM   #143

Oct 2012
Hollywood, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by docc View Post
the aspect ratio looks fine, allows for more information top and bottom while sacrificing minimally at the sides...
Whoah! Why should a 1.66 sacrifice ANYTHING at the sides? It's my understanding they just opened up extra headroom and footroom on the full 1.33 frame, and the width should be the same as it always was.

I agree the so-called eco friendly cases are just plain flimsy/cheap. I can't imagine that tiny fraction of an ounce of plastic is going to save the world. Let them save on plastic by not adding those stupid kid-proof extra clip-locks I find on some cases.

Does the menu have a short repetitive music loop or is it silent?

Last edited by Greycomm; 06-13-2013 at 02:54 AM.
Old 06-13-2013, 04:37 AM   #144

Jun 2013
Canada

Quote:
Whoah! Why should a 1.66 sacrifice ANYTHING at the sides? It's my understanding they just opened up extra headroom and footroom on the full 1.33 frame, and the width should be the same as it always was.

I agree the so-called eco friendly cases are just plain flimsy/cheap. I can't imagine that tiny fraction of an ounce of plastic is going to save the world. Let them save on plastic by not adding those stupid kid-proof extra clip-locks I find on some cases.

Does the menu have a short repetitive music loop or is it silent?
Not sure why it should, but it does, I was noticing during the main titles that the twirling music box figures on either side went slightly out of the frame at times, on my fmc print that doesn't happen. (The main titles segment there is in 1.85:1)

No music at all on the menu...by the way I can see where you were right about the centerpiece footage, the soft shoe bit was important plot-wise emphasizing the change in relationships of the main characters

Last edited by docc; 06-14-2013 at 10:19 PM.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:18 PM   #145

May 2013

ALLL fans, check out this brief Cybill Shepherd interview regarding the blu ray release. Very nice comment about Laszlo Kovac's work.

http://www.rogerebert.com/balder-and...long-last-love
Old 06-13-2013, 08:03 PM   #146
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
Mpls, MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beineixium View Post
ALLL fans, check out this brief Cybill Shepherd interview regarding the blu ray release. Very nice comment about Laszlo Kovac's work.

http://www.rogerebert.com/balder-and...long-last-love
She spoke very well of the film in her autobiography from a few years back. It is nice to have her come out and discuss the films Blu release. I do want to buy it but kind of sick of Amazon's In stock but can take 1-2 Days to process! I mean if you have it I have a Prime account I want it tomorrow lol. Not sure why they have to delay the filling of orders on a BLU they actually have stocked. I am sure it will move back up to prime status soon.
Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! These are becoming endangered and should be kept intact. They are part of film history.

Marantz SR700
MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
Oppo BDP-103 Oppo BDP-103 Region Free
Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60
Old 06-13-2013, 09:09 PM   #147

Oct 2012
Hollywood, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowellPressburger View Post
She spoke very well of the film in her autobiography from a few years back. It is nice to have her come out and discuss the films Blu release. I do want to buy it but kind of sick of Amazon's In stock but can take 1-2 Days to process! I mean if you have it I have a Prime account I want it tomorrow lol. Not sure why they have to delay the filling of orders on a BLU they actually have stocked. I am sure it will move back up to prime status soon.
My impression is they're ordering them from Fox as they GET orders, and that Fox didn't press that many to begin with.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:35 PM   #148

Oct 2012
Hollywood, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by docc View Post
I don't know why it should....but I was noticing during the main titles that the twirling music box figures on either side went very slightly out of the frame at times, on my fmc print the main titles segment is in 1.85:1 and that doesn't happen

No music at all on the menu...by the way I can see where you were right about the centerpiece footage, the soft shoe bit was important plot-wise emphasizing the change in relationships of the main characters
It would kinda piss me off if the sides had been cropped to make it 1.66... As for the centerpiece, I just made a guess based on process of elimination. Glad at least what he put back was something some folks wanted.

Ever wonder what happened to that music box?

I was holding off on buying the press kit on eBay but someone beat me to it. Was thinking of putting all the press stories, photos, etc. together with current interviews in a kind of digital book. It would be cool to piece together what actually happened with the different cut versions, straighten out the discrepancies...
Old 06-13-2013, 11:27 PM   #149

May 2013

Quote:
It would kinda piss me off if the sides had been cropped to make it 1.66... As for the centerpiece, I just made a guess based on process of elimination. Glad at least what he put back was something some folks wanted.

Ever wonder what happened to that music box?

I was holding off on buying the press kit on eBay but someone beat me to it. Was thinking of putting all the press stories, photos, etc. together with current interviews in a kind of digital book. It would be cool to piece together what actually happened with the different cut versions, straighten out the discrepancies...
Check out the following link for the Chappell Music film folio. It is not the press kit. It features songs (sheet music) with b&w photos (many have not been reproduced or made available elsewhere), an appreciation of the film, and an interview with Peter Bogdanovich. There's no image of the book posted -- but I have one and it is very nice. Good luck.

http://www.abebooks.com/Long-Last-Lo...o/430809020/bd
Old 06-14-2013, 12:29 AM   #150
Expert Member

Dec 2011

Quote:
Her autobiography is a great read. She has a gnarly sense of humor; I almost spit out my beverage when I got to the chapter entitled "The Cybill Sandwich."
Old 06-14-2013, 03:16 AM   #151

Oct 2012
Hollywood, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beineixium View Post
Check out the following link for the Chappell Music film folio. It is not the press kit. It features songs (sheet music) with b&w photos (many have not been reproduced or made available elsewhere), an appreciation of the film, and an interview with Peter Bogdanovich. There's no image of the book posted -- but I have one and it is very nice. Good luck.

http://www.abebooks.com/Long-Last-Lo...o/430809020/bd
That won't help as much as the press kit, which had 12 photos with many pages of bios and stories I could have scanned, converted and art directed into something interesting.

I was able to get a good price for COLE, the book that started it all when Cybill gave it to PB. An oversize book with pretty much all his lyrics plus photos, etc.

Last edited by Greycomm; 06-14-2013 at 03:22 AM.
Old 06-14-2013, 05:13 AM   #152
Blu-ray reviewer

Aug 2009
-

At Long Last Love Blu-ray Review
Old 06-19-2013, 05:48 AM   #153

Oct 2012
Hollywood, CA

Nice unassuming regular-guy review on Home Theatre mag site...

Last edited by Greycomm; 06-19-2013 at 03:10 PM.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:22 PM   #154
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2008
West Hollywood, CA.

I watched it over the weekend and enjoyed it for the most part. Bogdanovich's direction was quite good, he kept the pace going and really captured that era of film musical. IMO I have to say the actors really are the weakest link to the film. None of them have the lasting appeal to give this film a classic status. I've liked them all in other films but together in this one they do not have the chemistry or presence to make it work.
http://www.criterion.com/my_criterion/5618-brad

Liberté, égalité, fraternité
Old 06-25-2013, 11:28 PM   #155
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
Mpls, MN

Watched this over the past weekend also and I thought everyone was really great in it. I think Eileen is awesome! Cybill I think was trashed unfairly on reviews, honestly she can carry a tune better than most.

It really is a carefree entertainment that I will revisit on BLU. Really would have been nice to have Bogd. And others be interviewed for the BLU release.
Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! These are becoming endangered and should be kept intact. They are part of film history.

Marantz SR700
MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
Oppo BDP-103 Oppo BDP-103 Region Free
Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60
Old 06-25-2013, 11:38 PM   #156
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2008
West Hollywood, CA.

Quote:
Watched this over the past weekend also and I thought everyone was really great in it. I think Eileen is awesome! Cybill I think was trashed unfairly on reviews, honestly she can carry a tune better than most.

It really is a carefree entertainment that I will revisit on BLU. Really would have been nice to have Bogd. And others be interviewed for the BLU release.
Maybe I just need to watch it again. I agree they all could carry a tune and that was not the problem. But there was something about them as a group that did not work for me. I'm a big Bogdanovich fan and have no regrets owning the film.
http://www.criterion.com/my_criterion/5618-brad

Liberté, égalité, fraternité
Old 08-01-2013, 01:59 AM   #157

Oct 2012
Hollywood, CA

Wonderful talented Eileen Brennan is gone, but we have her great performances to enjoy for years to come...

PS: Who in the LA area would like to see AT LONG LAST, LOVE on the big screen in a nice theatre?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America