Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
The Americans: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Gatchaman: Complete Collection + OVAs (Blu-ray)
$59.99
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Animal House (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Simpsons: The Sixteenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Grave of the Fireflies (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Forbidden Kingdom (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Far and Away (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Of Human Bondage (Blu-ray)
$14.78
High Plains Drifter (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Spider-Man / Spider-Man 2 / Spider-Man 3 (Blu-ray)
$24.96

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 09-01-2013, 01:19 PM   #221
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2011
Northern Kentucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieray1 View Post
It's a definite upgrade, both in picture and (especially!) sound. After watching the whole disc, I do admit that's it's not as sharp as it probably could be -- background faces are soft and blurry -- bit the colors and depth are much better. It's immediately noticable. And the music sounds fantastic.

Probably not as good as it could have been, but a substantial upgrade none the less. I'm happy.
That's great. I am definitely going to get this the first opportunity I get.
Old 09-01-2013, 01:36 PM   #222
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2011
Northern Kentucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by benricci View Post
No, I think expectations relating to the source material were too high. Those expecting a crystal clear, pin-sharp transfer have obviously never seen a 35mm cut of Help. The film never really looked super-amazing to begin with, but I do feel the blu ray is more accurate to the source than people want to give it credit for. And it's certainly the best home video presentation the film has ever received.
I agree 100%. Studios can only do so much with the source material that they are given to work with I am just happy that it was FINALLY released on Blu-ray.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:29 PM   #223
Special Member

Feb 2012
Winnipeg, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShamelessFanGirl View Post
I agree 100%. Studios can only do so much with the source material that they are given to work with I am just happy that it was FINALLY released on Blu-ray.

The problem with HELP! isn't the source material; it's the electronic meddling. Horridly thick EE halos don't come from film. DNR doesn't come from film. Somebody sat at a machine and vandalized this movie.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:39 PM   #224
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex Robinson View Post
The problem with HELP! isn't the source material; it's the electronic meddling. Horridly thick EE halos don't come from film. DNR doesn't come from film. Somebody sat at a machine and vandalized this movie.
Sorry, not disagreeing since I have held off buying this - but in all the complaining I've read about this, I've never heard it put quite that way. Perhaps some day, maybe 4K ...
Old 09-02-2013, 03:45 PM   #225
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2011
Northern Kentucky

Quote:
Really? When you say vandalized, how bad was it?
Old 09-02-2013, 04:01 PM   #226
Special Member

Nov 2008
Victorville, CA

Quote:
Really? When you say vandalized, how bad was it?
Horrible. Unwatchable. It only gets 4 stars here on the Blu-ray.com review . . .
Old 09-03-2013, 12:30 AM   #227
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2011
Northern Kentucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieray1 View Post
Horrible. Unwatchable. It only gets 4 stars here on the Blu-ray.com review . . .
If I'm not mistaken, doesn't 4 stars mean that it just barely above the DVD version? I've always heard that meant at least average among PQ when it came to BD.
Old 09-03-2013, 01:19 AM   #228
Site Manager

Aug 2006
USiberia

Well you can look at the piccies

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Help-B...9/#Screenshots
Old 09-03-2013, 03:19 AM   #229
Special Member

Feb 2012
Winnipeg, Canada

I think there's been enough said about the flaws in this transfer over the last several pages and me repeating specific examples likely won't do much.

But let me tell you a story...about my nose.

When I was about 30 years old, my doctor asked me how I broke my nose. Thing is, my nose was NEVER broken. I had lived 30 years of my life blissfully believing that I had a perfectly nice nose. Suddenly, I became very sensitive about having a crooked nose. To this day, I only allow my self to be photographed from my right side.

Now, let me talk about Edge Enhancement. About 10 years ago, I read a very interesting editorial about Edge Enhancement in DVDs. One of the points of the article was this: "If people can't see Edge Enhancement, then don't point it out to them because once they learn to recognize it, it will lessen their enjoyment of DVDs". In essence, ignorance really is bliss. It becomes much easier to enjoy something if you are blind to it's faults.

I can tell you that there are people who just can't see Edge Enhancement. They just won't see those halos no matter what. And if the halos are too thick for a blind man to ignore, they call it "back lighting" or "bromide drag".

Frankly, I am envious of them. They can look at HELP! and think it looks great. Why should I ruin it for them. They like what they see.

Edge Enhancement is like the nose on my face. I thought it was just fine until, for no good reason, my doctor made me aware that it wasn't fine at all. So to all those people who don't see Edge Enhancement here...enjoy the movie.

Last edited by Dex Robinson; 09-03-2013 at 01:47 PM. Reason: minor typo
Old 09-03-2013, 03:55 AM   #230
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012
Texas

Quote:
I think there's been enough said about the flaws in this transfer over the last several pages and me repeating specific examples likely won't do much.
But let me tell you a story...about my nose ...
Well, Dex, I take it that you never got your nose "enhanced" like the BD of Help!? Were you temped?
Old 09-03-2013, 01:10 PM   #231
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2011
Northern Kentucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deciazulado View Post
Thank you for the link.

From what I saw it looks from the pics that I saw that this is an upgrade from the DVD version but only by a little bit. I can see a lot more detail and the colors, while not vibrant, still stand out. Most likely I will still pick this up because I never bought the DVD version and I have for many years been a Beatles fan and would love to add this to my collection.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:21 PM   #232
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012
Texas

Quote:
Thank you for the link.

From what I saw it looks from the pics that I saw that this is an upgrade from the DVD version but only by a little bit. I can see a lot more detail and the colors, while not vibrant, still stand out. Most likely I will still pick this up because I never bought the DVD version and I have for many years been a Beatles fan and would love to add this to my collection.
If you do ... Oh ...

Damn, I wuz gonna say please post whether you think it's actually better than the DVD ... but then I caught the no DVD part. I kept my DVD and haven't been willing to pay what they're asking for the BD.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:02 AM   #233
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2011
Northern Kentucky

I am not willing to pay $24 bucks for this I will wait until it comes down and price and then get it.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:13 AM   #234

Feb 2010
Connecticut

It's the only movie in my collection I was moved to come on here and b*tch about.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America