Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Gatchaman: Complete Collection + OVAs (Blu-ray)
$59.99
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Grave of the Fireflies (Blu-ray)
$12.99
The Spectacular Spider-Man: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Simpsons: The Sixteenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Blow (Blu-ray)
$6.98
Animal House (Blu-ray)
$9.96
High School of the Dead OVA: Drifters of the Dead (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Quiet Man (Blu-ray)
$14.98
Far and Away (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 07:09 PM   #461
DetroitSportsFan DetroitSportsFan is offline
Hot Deals Moderator
 
DetroitSportsFan's Avatar
 
Aug 2007
Detroit, MI
1571
6
31
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillmygorilla View Post
Will there be a Criterion edition of this?
Criterion supposedly was interested in releasing it, but ended up passing due to the content.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:20 PM   #462
AmrlKJaneway AmrlKJaneway is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
AmrlKJaneway's Avatar
 
Apr 2011
Brisbane, Australia
60
135
159
Default

This is my 666th post. I didn't know where to put it, so I'm going to put it here.

I'm upping A Serbian Film to 7/10. The description is Good, Recommended. Which is true. When I misspelt recommended, comprehended came up. If you can comprehend the concepts and not get lost in the gore, this is a good movie.
Display: BenQ MW519, 8mm PJ, Panasonic 50" TH-50PX70A, LG 42" 42LA6230, Soniq 32" LCD, LG 23.6" w2363D
Sound: LG 5.1 DVD combo, Logitech 5.1
Players: Apple TV x3, Sony PS4 500GB, Sony PS3 Slim 160GB, Soniq 3D BDP
Computers i3 Desktop, Asus i7 Laptop, iMac 19" 2007
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:33 AM   #463
lolwut lolwut is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
lolwut's Avatar
 
Dec 2011
Virginia, US
737
193
108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Thomsen View Post
Even in the complete uncensored version you don't see the
[Show spoiler]rape. You see the guy from the back and you see him moving, but you don't see any sort of penetration.
It's all in the soundtrack and in the viewer's mind. In fact, considering how much flak this movies has received for its content, I find it is surprisingly toned down. Most of the violent scenes only show few short graphic shots before they cut away to reaction shots. In that way it is actually way less graphical explicit than, say, the HOSTEL movies.
Obviously you're not going to see penetration. The difference between the cut and uncut is night and day. The cut version is sloppy and unclear. The uncut scene is highly disturbing to say the least.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:07 AM   #464
AmrlKJaneway AmrlKJaneway is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
AmrlKJaneway's Avatar
 
Apr 2011
Brisbane, Australia
60
135
159
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolwut View Post
Obviously you're not going to see penetration. The difference between the cut and uncut is night and day. The cut version is sloppy and unclear. The uncut scene is highly disturbing to say the least.
Okay. Mine lacked continuity, even though I did kind of see it. It felt cut, and looking at the runtime it was cut a lot. I don't know what I missed, but I don't feel it made the film lack any shock or consistency.
Display: BenQ MW519, 8mm PJ, Panasonic 50" TH-50PX70A, LG 42" 42LA6230, Soniq 32" LCD, LG 23.6" w2363D
Sound: LG 5.1 DVD combo, Logitech 5.1
Players: Apple TV x3, Sony PS4 500GB, Sony PS3 Slim 160GB, Soniq 3D BDP
Computers i3 Desktop, Asus i7 Laptop, iMac 19" 2007
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:15 PM   #465
Mr. Thomsen Mr. Thomsen is online now
Special Member
 
Mr. Thomsen's Avatar
 
Dec 2010
Denmark
241
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolwut View Post
Obviously you're not going to see penetration. The difference between the cut and uncut is night and day. The cut version is sloppy and unclear. The uncut scene is highly disturbing to say the least.
Well, sort of.

I think the very fake-looking doll used can act as a 'bailout mechanism', i.e. it allows you to distance yourself from the scene. To me it ended up becoming so grotesque that it almost, almost, became laughable. And I can definitely see why someone might feel there is some (very) dark humor going on.

There are of course different censored versions, and I have only watched the one from U.K. But to me, that almost felt harder to watch than the uncensored cut. Because you don't really have the doll to remind you that all is make-believe and instead you only have the very disturbing soundtrack.

All in all, I do prefer the uncut version of course. I have the Scandinavian BD which is completely uncensored.
Most wanted blu-ray upgrades: Kafka, The Limey, Suspiria (remaster), Castle of Blood, The Horrible Dr. Hichcock, Nosferatu (1979), Blood and Black Lace, Dracula (1979), L'avventura, The Vanishing (1988), Eyes Without a Face, The Changeling (1980), Ringu, Ju-on, Miracle Mile, The Honeymoon Killers, Without Warning, Don't Look Now (remaster), Man Bites Dog, Cannibal Holocaust, Creature (The Titan Find), Irrèversible, The Fearless Vampire Killers, The Black Hole, The Sentinel (1979)
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:29 PM   #466
Yankees0222 Yankees0222 is offline
Power Member
 
Yankees0222's Avatar
 
Jun 2009
Colorado
1279
315
3
62
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Thomsen View Post
Well, sort of.

I think the very fake-looking doll used can act as a 'bailout mechanism', i.e. it allows you to distance yourself from the scene. To me it ended up becoming so grotesque that it almost, almost, became laughable. And I can definitely see why someone might feel there is some (very) dark humor going on.

There are of course different censored versions, and I have only watched the one from U.K. But to me, that almost felt harder to watch than the uncensored cut. Because you don't really have the doll to remind you that all is make-believe and instead you only have the very disturbing soundtrack.

All in all, I do prefer the uncut version of course. I have the Scandinavian BD which is completely uncensored.
I have 3 different cuts of the movie. The UK cut (blu), the US cut (blu) and the uncut version (DVD).... In my opinion, the UK cut is the most effective.
Annie: When you found out I was Jewish, you invited me to a 'pool party' that turned out to be a Baptism.

Shirley: Well excuse me for trying to sneak you into Heaven.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:40 PM   #467
Moe Szyslak Moe Szyslak is offline
Senior Member
 
Moe Szyslak's Avatar
 
Feb 2011
5
395
54
10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitSportsFan View Post
Criterion supposedly was interested in releasing it, but ended up passing due to the content.
It wouldn't surprise me to hear they were interested. Any chance you have a link to a source for this?
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:49 PM   #468
Moe Szyslak Moe Szyslak is offline
Senior Member
 
Moe Szyslak's Avatar
 
Feb 2011
5
395
54
10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Thomsen View Post
I think the very fake-looking doll used can act as a 'bailout mechanism', i.e. it allows you to distance yourself from the scene. To me it ended up becoming so grotesque that it almost, almost, became laughable. And I can definitely see why someone might feel there is some (very) dark humor going on.
It wasn't so much the doll that got me as the way
[Show spoiler]he excitedly yells "newborn porn!"
lol I guess that line combined with a situation that goes so far beyond taboo made it comical for me.

Now that I'm thinking about it, one of the more disturbing experiences I had watching this was during my second viewing. The first time I watched it with my girlfriend (a keeper, she's seen it twice and is still with me lol), and the second time was with her and a couple others I was showing it to. During certain scenes, I found myself looking over at them to see their reaction. The look of genuine disgust on their faces was kind of unnerving.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:57 PM   #469
lolwut lolwut is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
lolwut's Avatar
 
Dec 2011
Virginia, US
737
193
108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmrlKJaneway View Post
Okay. Mine lacked continuity, even though I did kind of see it. It felt cut, and looking at the runtime it was cut a lot. I don't know what I missed, but I don't feel it made the film lack any shock or consistency.
I think you'd change your mind if you saw the uncut version. Watching the cut US version after seeing it uncut dramatically lessened the impact for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Thomsen View Post
Well, sort of.

I think the very fake-looking doll used can act as a 'bailout mechanism', i.e. it allows you to distance yourself from the scene. To me it ended up becoming so grotesque that it almost, almost, became laughable. And I can definitely see why someone might feel there is some (very) dark humor going on.

There are of course different censored versions, and I have only watched the one from U.K. But to me, that almost felt harder to watch than the uncensored cut. Because you don't really have the doll to remind you that all is make-believe and instead you only have the very disturbing soundtrack.

All in all, I do prefer the uncut version of course. I have the Scandinavian BD which is completely uncensored.
Maybe it was the quality of the uncut version I saw but the baby looked real to me, so I was horrified. Although I haven't seen the UK cut, how is it handled? Because the US cut is sloppily edited.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:13 PM   #470
Mr. Thomsen Mr. Thomsen is online now
Special Member
 
Mr. Thomsen's Avatar
 
Dec 2010
Denmark
241
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolwut View Post
Maybe it was the quality of the uncut version I saw but the baby looked real to me, so I was horrified. Although I haven't seen the UK cut, how is it handled? Because the US cut is sloppily edited.
It's been quite a while since I watched the UK cut, but as far as I remember it lacks some closer shots of the baby and the "penetration shot" where you see the man from three quarters of his back and the top of the doll's head. His motions implies penetration. Instead you only see him from the back and hear the sounds.

That had a much more disturbing effect on me than the uncut version because much more is implied whereas the doll in the uncut version, to me, worked as a bailout mechanism. When I think about it, it is especially the close shot of the baby that makes it look very artificial.

You might be on to something about the video quality supporting the illusion, though.
Most wanted blu-ray upgrades: Kafka, The Limey, Suspiria (remaster), Castle of Blood, The Horrible Dr. Hichcock, Nosferatu (1979), Blood and Black Lace, Dracula (1979), L'avventura, The Vanishing (1988), Eyes Without a Face, The Changeling (1980), Ringu, Ju-on, Miracle Mile, The Honeymoon Killers, Without Warning, Don't Look Now (remaster), Man Bites Dog, Cannibal Holocaust, Creature (The Titan Find), Irrèversible, The Fearless Vampire Killers, The Black Hole, The Sentinel (1979)
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:03 PM   #471
Kentai Kentai is offline
Expert Member
 
Aug 2009
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe Szyslak View Post
I guess that line combined with a situation that goes so far beyond taboo made it comical for me.
I don't know if there's any way to interpret A Serbian Film as anything but a pitch-black comedy. Vukmir in particular is such an over the top presence in an otherwise dour, miserable universe that I refuse to believe the writer/director behind this didn't try to inject a paradody-fueled version of themselves into him; Vukmir shouting about "New genres!" and "A real, happy Serbian family" are ideas the script toys with, but it does it in such a grotesque and overblown manner that I can't imagine anyone taking it totally seriously.

The fact that A Serbian Film is playing with such nasty and taboo ideas, and does it not only with a sense of finesse, but gallows-humor, is part of what makes it such an impressive experience. If it took itself seriously (think AUGUST UNDERGROUND, IN A GLASS CAGE, IRREVERSIBLE...), the film would have still been affecting, but substantially less interesting for it.

Some people I've shown it to thinks that the humor undermines the message that the film carries, and I won't deny that's a valid complaint if you go in expecting the next Salo, but I think every moment, every line, and every nasty, nasty moment has been arranged the way it was for a specific reason. You don't have to agree with those reasons (plenty of people don't!), you just have to acknowledge that Spasjoevic did it for a reason.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:30 AM   #472
lolwut lolwut is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
lolwut's Avatar
 
Dec 2011
Virginia, US
737
193
108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Thomsen View Post
It's been quite a while since I watched the UK cut, but as far as I remember it lacks some closer shots of the baby and the "penetration shot" where you see the man from three quarters of his back and the top of the doll's head. His motions implies penetration. Instead you only see him from the back and hear the sounds.

That had a much more disturbing effect on me than the uncut version because much more is implied whereas the doll in the uncut version, to me, worked as a bailout mechanism. When I think about it, it is especially the close shot of the baby that makes it look very artificial.

You might be on to something about the video quality supporting the illusion, though.
Ah, thanks for the info.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:49 AM   #473
konger82 konger82 is offline
Active Member
 
konger82's Avatar
 
Dec 2009
Mankato, Minnesota
1277
35
Default .

Ok, I am a newb to this discussion and have yet to see this movie. However since I now want to see this movie, which version do I need to pick up. I have read so many different things that I must have confused myself. Thank You for who ever replys to this post,

because me and my friends are sick ba*tards, I want to get the least edited version. We dont mind subtitles
My Teams
Dallas Cowboys
Minnesota Vikings
Minnesota Twins
Minnesota Wild
Minnesota Timberwolves
Florida State Seminoles
Born in Texas, Raised in Florida, Live in Minnesota
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:40 AM   #474
jmb1381 jmb1381 is offline
Expert Member
 
jmb1381's Avatar
 
Aug 2010
Baker,Florida
1762
1942
73
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by konger82 View Post
Ok, I am a newb to this discussion and have yet to see this movie. However since I now want to see this movie, which version do I need to pick up. I have read so many different things that I must have confused myself. Thank You for who ever replys to this post,

because me and my friends are sick ba*tards, I want to get the least edited version. We dont mind subtitles
It's a dvd but it's fully uncut:
http://www.amazon.com/Serbian-Film-U...a+serbian+film
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:36 AM   #475
Hubunkey Hubunkey is offline
Expert Member
 
Hubunkey's Avatar
 
Jun 2012
Fort Scott, KS
824
292
147
Default

Wasn' the Uncut version relelased on Blu-ray somewhere in the world?
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:42 AM   #476
Behemot Behemot is online now
Active Member
 
Jan 2011
Norway
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubunkey View Post
Wasn' the Uncut version relelased on Blu-ray somewhere in the world?
The Scandinavian Blu-ray is uncut, but not English friendly.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:06 AM   #477
tenebre6 tenebre6 is offline
Senior Member
 
tenebre6's Avatar
 
Jan 2013
Default

Is there still no english subbed release thats uncut? the uncut DVD is a joke with its packaging
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:19 PM   #478
Moe Szyslak Moe Szyslak is offline
Senior Member
 
Moe Szyslak's Avatar
 
Feb 2011
5
395
54
10
Default

Is the "French cut" the uncut version, and is anyone able to confirm if it's Region A compatible? Referring to these two releases:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/A-Serb...Blu-ray/37244/
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/A-Serb...Blu-ray/36533/
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:32 PM   #479
tenebre6 tenebre6 is offline
Senior Member
 
tenebre6's Avatar
 
Jan 2013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe Szyslak View Post
Is the "French cut" the uncut version, and is anyone able to confirm if it's Region A compatible? Referring to these two releases:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/A-Serb...Blu-ray/37244/
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/A-Serb...Blu-ray/36533/
its uncut... French are good like that. but only has french subs. If you speak french or Serb.....

Can confirm the region but most of the French blus i have are not region B locked.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:56 PM   #480
Moe Szyslak Moe Szyslak is offline
Senior Member
 
Moe Szyslak's Avatar
 
Feb 2011
5
395
54
10
Default

No Englsih subs? The description says it has them. Oh well, guess us English-only folks will never cut a proper, uncut release on BD.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:40 PM.