Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Ender's Game (Blu-ray)
$13.00
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Diary of a Wimpy Kid Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$16.98
Gravity 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Gravity (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Reality Bites (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Blu-ray)
$5.99
Ripper Street: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Weird Science (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Ocean Giants (Blu-ray)
$11.99
Pacific Rim 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99
8-Film Action Collection (Blu-ray)
$7.99
The Goonies (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Despicable Me 2 (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Planet Earth | Life (Blu-ray)
$54.99
Hammerhead (Blu-ray)
$7.49
Beetlejuice (Blu-ray)
$4.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 02-26-2014, 12:49 PM   #1821
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigG71 View Post
Was there as big a fuss made about the unrated version of Nightmare 5 not being included (and the missing 3D from Freddy's Dead) as there was about the missing unrated cut of Jason Goes To Hell and the lack of Blu-ray 3D for Friday Part 3? I wonder if this says anything about which series' fans are more dedicated?
I can't tell if you were being silly on purpose or not.

The big difference is, most folks (unless they were watching edited TV versions) have only really seen the unrated cut of JGTH, as that's the one that came out on VHS, where most saw the film for the first time, and was available on DVD.

There is also a massive difference in scope - JGTH is a full ten minutes shorter, and the 'unrated' cut actually tries to make some sense of the story, while the cut down version makes an already incoherent plot even more incoherent.

This is opposed to Nightmare 5, which was just some extra shots of gore that don't affect the overall story or continuity of the film.

Nice try though.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:08 PM   #1822
Power Member

Oct 2012
SE MI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillieCassin View Post
I can't tell if you were being silly on purpose or not.

The big difference is, most folks (unless they were watching edited TV versions) have only really seen the unrated cut of JGTH, as that's the one that came out on VHS, where most saw the film for the first time, and was available on DVD.

There is also a massive difference in scope - JGTH is a full ten minutes shorter, and the 'unrated' cut actually tries to make some sense of the story, while the cut down version makes an already incoherent plot even more incoherent.

This is opposed to Nightmare 5, which was just some extra shots of gore that don't affect the overall story or continuity of the film.

Nice try though.
It has been mentioned and some are irked, but no where near the extent of JGTH for valid reasons quoted above. Hell, I've been on about it since the dvd set came out. So I bought the unrated laserdisc of Freddy 5 and I still hated the movie, so I re-sold it when my LD player went belly-up. No where near as noticeable as the JGTH cuts, and no missing story. I'd be willing to bet IF you could find someone who is an equal fan of each series and ask which one they would rather have unrated, if they could only have one, all would say Jason Goes to Hell. I represent that fan (slight lean towards Jason, but very close and much love for both series), and it's how I feel!
Old 02-27-2014, 05:07 AM   #1823

Mar 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyhorse View Post
It has been mentioned and some are irked, but no where near the extent of JGTH for valid reasons quoted above. Hell, I've been on about it since the dvd set came out. So I bought the unrated laserdisc of Freddy 5 and I still hated the movie, so I re-sold it when my LD player went belly-up. No where near as noticeable as the JGTH cuts, and no missing story. I'd be willing to bet IF you could find someone who is an equal fan of each series and ask which one they would rather have unrated, if they could only have one, all would say Jason Goes to Hell. I represent that fan (slight lean towards Jason, but very close and much love for both series), and it's how I feel!
To keep everything (unrated cuts, DTS soundtracks, widescreen + pan & scan, special features, etc...) it seems like we need to hold onto all possible formats of our favorite flicks (VHS, laserdisc, DVD, Blu-ray).

The unrated version of Nightmare 5 on laserdisc is 6 minutes longer than the R-rated cut, but they may have included the Whodini music video at the end as part of the running time, I can't recall.

I probably would agree that if I could only choose one unrated version to have it would be JGTH. My disappointing Nightmares are 2 and 6. I've always had a soft spot for 5, in no small part due to Lisa Wilcox returning as Alice. Definitely one of my favorite Freddy girls...

Last edited by bigG71; 02-27-2014 at 05:11 AM.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:54 AM   #1824

Dec 2013
The Forbidden Zone

Does anyone know why New Line is holding out on unrated versions of the Nightmare films? I mean, There is no excuse.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:05 AM   #1825

Jul 2009
New Orleans, LA

Quote:
To keep everything (unrated cuts, DTS soundtracks, widescreen + pan & scan, special features, etc...) it seems like we need to hold onto all possible formats of our favorite flicks (VHS, laserdisc, DVD, Blu-ray).

The unrated version of Nightmare 5 on laserdisc is 6 minutes longer than the R-rated cut, but they may have included the Whodini music video at the end as part of the running time, I can't recall.

I probably would agree that if I could only choose one unrated version to have it would be JGTH. My disappointing Nightmares are 2 and 6. I've always had a soft spot for 5, in no small part due to Lisa Wilcox returning as Alice. Definitely one of my favorite Freddy girls...
I think the length may have been the video - the additions only add up to around 30 sec. (warning, NSFW): http://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=1055
Old 02-27-2014, 09:59 AM   #1826

May 2008
Birmingham, AL

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyhorse View Post
I agree. While I love both series, I prefer the Nightmare films. But if I had a choice between having Nightmare 5 or JGTH in its unrated form, I'd go with JGTH. Having said that, rewatching the New Line Jason movies again on the new blu-ray, I didn't really enjoy them as much as I did the Paramount Friday movies.
Old 02-27-2014, 03:03 PM   #1827

May 2013
Camp Crystal Lake

Ive always really hated Nightmare V; it has its moments, namely when it sticks to the same vibe as IV, but once it goes head on into this other realm with the unborn child....doesnt do it for me. Seeing it uncut is not a priority for me.

I just rewatched this boxset over this past month and still feel that New Line gave us pretty good transfers....sure they are not uncut....but they could have really dumped some mediocre product on us picturewise with them being catalog titles and all. Nightmare I is a little iffy on picture but once you hit IV, the set shines.
Old 02-27-2014, 03:59 PM   #1828
Power Member

Oct 2012
SE MI.

Quote:

They are definitely counting the video runtime on the laser. The link to movie-censorship shows the differences which are only 30 seconds or so. They also seem even less noticeable than much shorter, 1-3 second additions, in other unrated films. I hardly even miss them anymore, probably cuz I hardly ever watch anymore.

Still annoying knowing this unrated cut exists and is just dissed along with Scream's uncut version. Not like these movies were failures no one wants, both have sold plenty on all home formats and various releases. Seems like they would have to get em right at least once along the way (other countries/regions did release Scream uncut on dvd at least).
Old 02-27-2014, 04:04 PM   #1829
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillieCassin View Post
What'chu talkin' 'bout, Willis?

The rated version of JGTH is ~3 mins shorter than the unrated cut.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:19 PM   #1830

Oct 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvorhees View Post

I just rewatched this boxset over this past month and still feel that New Line gave us pretty good transfers....sure they are not uncut....but they could have really dumped some mediocre product on us picturewise with them being catalog titles and all. Nightmare I is a little iffy on picture but once you hit IV, the set shines.
They did dump a mediocre product on us. 3, to an extent, and especially part 4 are too dark. Crush is insane. The print used on 4 is also quite poor.

How is 1 "iffy"? I know coloring wise, the blue was never meant to be there, so it's not "proper", but most agree it looks beautiful.
Old 02-28-2014, 01:27 AM   #1831

May 2013
Camp Crystal Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-10 View Post
They did dump a mediocre product on us. 3, to an extent, and especially part 4 are too dark. Crush is insane. The print used on 4 is also quite poor.

How is 1 "iffy"? I know coloring wise, the blue was never meant to be there, so it's not "proper", but most agree it looks beautiful.
I thought Pt I was gonna be quite good until sharpening reared its head shortly into playback. Its not extreme but some kind of sharpening or detail tweaking is present. I agree with you that blacks are artifically boosted in some parts of the sequels but from IV onward I really thought the detail in the transfer was quite good with no artificial sharpening or boosting present and was pleased to see grain present. Print damage I cant recall though it has never bothered me as I would rather have a speck or line here and there than a digital non film like presentation.

I watch on a very large setup so maybe I notice a few minor issues that go unnoticed on smaller sets. Peace.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:33 AM   #1832

Mar 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvorhees View Post
Ive always really hated Nightmare V; it has its moments, namely when it sticks to the same vibe as IV, but once it goes head on into this other realm with the unborn child....doesnt do it for me. Seeing it uncut is not a priority for me.

I thought 2 looks pretty good as well, but 3 is kind of drab and dull looking.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America