Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Avengers 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.22
4 hrs ago
12 Monkeys (Blu-ray)
$29.33

Who Framed Roger Rabbit (Blu-ray)
$5.89
7 hrs ago
Sicario (Blu-ray)
$4.00

Halloween 4K (Blu-ray)
$20.13
3 hrs ago
Ash vs Evil Dead: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Pacific Rim: Uprising (Blu-ray)
$11.99

The Blacklist: The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Blockers (Blu-ray)
$11.99

Supergirl: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Tag (Blu-ray)
$22.99

DC's Legends of Tomorrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$12.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers

View Poll Results: What Speakers do you own?
Paradigm 150 54.55%
Paradigm Reference 99 36.00%
Combination of both Paradigm/Paradigm Reference 26 9.45%
Voters: 275. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-30-2012, 02:10 AM   #3441
Special Member

Nov 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by aces high View Post
Lately none, I never use it anymore. Sold off the phono amps and Speed Box I had, not sure what I'm going to do with the vinyl and table yet.
Wow, really? Why? Your setup looks so good. Didn't you just get new Dynas? I was told you were liking them.

Sent you a PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarriere View Post
Hours later and no replies. 24 minutes on another site. Apparently I'm in the wrong site.
I'll go elsewhere for info on electronics.
Later Man.
Wow that is pretty demanding for someone asking for information for free. Enjoy the other site.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:12 AM   #3442

Feb 2010
Allentown, PA

Yo Blaze, I'm also a Giants fan! Great game, huh? I tell you what, after seeing your home theater gallery, I feel a deep dissatisfaction within me...lol!
[SIZE="2"][B][I]Paradigm Studio 100's v.5 ~ Paradigm CC690 v.5 ~ Paradigm ADP590 v.5 ~ Pioneer Elite SC27 AVR ~ Samsung 55" 240hz LED 8000 ~ PS3 ~ Monster Power Center HTS3500 ~ DVR-Directv ~ SVS PB13-Ultra ~ Xbox 360 Kinect
Old 03-30-2012, 02:27 AM   #3443
Blu-ray Baron

Apr 2009
In the country

Quote:
Hours later and no replies. 24 minutes on another site. Apparently I'm in the wrong site.
Later Man.
Wrong attitude=no help.. Have you ever heard of a search button? I bet the other site has one too. And if your nice, they will show you how to use it.
Equipment......Tube tv and Bose speakers.....gotta love it
Old 03-30-2012, 02:57 AM   #3444
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2008
The Diamond Capital of North America™

Quote:
Originally Posted by erict View Post
Wrong attitude=no help.. Have you ever heard of a search button? I bet the other site has one too. And if your nice, they will show you how to use it.
I did use search. Sorry if i have the wrong attitude, I posted earlier and got no response and tried again. I love this site and come here everyday.
I thought people on this thread would understand why I'm stoked to be getting Paradigm speakers.
erict, your posts indicate your love and/or knowledge of Paradigm. I didn't mean to ruffle your feathers.

Last edited by Scarriere; 03-30-2012 at 03:00 AM.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:40 PM   #3445
Special Member

Oct 2009
Canada

Quote:
I did use search. Sorry if i have the wrong attitude, I posted earlier and got no response and tried again. I love this site and come here everyday.
I thought people on this thread would understand why I'm stoked to be getting Paradigm speakers.
erict, your posts indicate your love and/or knowledge of Paradigm. I didn't mean to ruffle your feathers.
It sometimes takes a bit longer for guys to reply on here than other sites. But the difference between here and other sites is that the members aren't freaking a$$ holes. They are nice, honest and will give you information to the best of their knowledge.

Whether they need break in or not just sit back and listen to them. IF and I mean IF they sound better in 10 hours 20 hours or 100 hours later even better.

I have never noticed the difference. If I did it's the placebo effect and nothing more.

You won't find someone like Aces, Erict, etc etc on other sites. What you will find is someone who "says" they own S8s and will tell you, you need to upgrade.
Home Theater - 11.2 - Onkyo - Crown - Behringer - DVDO - Epson - Paradigm - Oppo - Quad 18" Sealed Subs

2 Channel -Anthem - Monitor Audio

Proud Member of CAA: Chronic Adjusters Anonymous

Hammers of the Gods (subwoofer build) http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=220204
Old 03-30-2012, 04:08 PM   #3446

Feb 2011
Prescott, AZ

Quote:
I searched the stickies but have to ask...do you guys recommend a break-in period for new speakers? How long? I read somewhere that it should be eight hours or so. What kind of material should I play? What level?
Thanks for any input.
I would break in any new speaker with about 10-20 hours (total). Just my 2 cents. Mid level volume and what ever music you choose would be fine. Just turn the volume up a little after every 5-6 hours and you should be fine.

Jeff
Integra DTR 40.2
Paradigm Monitor 9s
Paradigm LCR350
Rythmik FV15
Paradigm ADP 150 surrounds
Sony BDP S-590 Blu Ray player
Direct TV HDDVR
Sony 55"NX810 LCD/LED TV
Old 03-30-2012, 07:58 PM   #3447
Special Member

Mar 2010
"Empire" State

Quote:
I searched the stickies but have to ask...do you guys recommend a break-in period for new speakers? How long? I read somewhere that it should be eight hours or so. What kind of material should I play? What level?
Thanks for any input.
Quote:
Later Man.
Don't feel bad dude, this seems to happen alot around the forums.
I don't comment as much as used too anymore....

To answer you questions,
Yes! All speakers need some break-in time, 25-100 hrs should be just fine, be sure to play all of your favorite music, just don't blast the volume, try to keep the volume at moderate levels to avoid damaging the drivers.
Emotiva UMC-1 (Pre/Pro) - Emotiva UPA-1 x3 UPA-2 (Power Amplifiers) - OPPO BDP-103 (Blu-ray Player)
Paradigm Reference Studio 100 v.5 (Floor Standing Speakers) - Paradigm Reference Studio CC-690 v.5 (Center Speaker) - Paradigm Reference Studio ADP-590 (Surround Speakers)
Seaton Subnersive HP (Subwoofer) - Panasonic PT-AE2000U (Projector) - Elite Screens (106" Fixed Frame)
Belkin PureAV PF60 - Harmony 1100 (remote)
Old 03-31-2012, 03:54 AM   #3448
Blu-ray Baron

Apr 2009
In the country

Quote:
Later Man.

I didn't mean to sound harsh but when I read your response I was speaking for this forum. There are alot of knowledgeable members on here that will answer your questions but aren't always logged at the time you post something. It just wasn't appropriate to come back here and make a post like that..
Old 04-02-2012, 11:03 PM   #3449
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Hulk View Post
To answer you questions,
Yes! All speakers need some break-in time, 25-100 hrs should be just fine, be sure to play all of your favorite music, just don't blast the volume, try to keep the volume at moderate levels to avoid damaging the drivers.
Thank you! It'll be tough to hold back, but I want to do this properly.
I appreciate your advice!

Quote:

I didn't mean to sound harsh but when I read your response I was speaking for this forum. There are alot of knowledgeable members on here that will answer your questions but aren't always logged at the time you post something. It just wasn't appropriate to come back here and make a post like that..
You are correct Sir! I don't know what I was thinking, or if I even was.
Thank you for setting me straight.

Thank you to all others who replied as well.

Last edited by Scarriere; 04-02-2012 at 11:05 PM. Reason: added to it
Old 04-02-2012, 11:09 PM   #3450
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2008

I went and picked up my Monitor 9's, Center 3, Atoms and SUB 10 on Friday.

My Receiver won't be in for a couple more days and I'll be back to work by then.

No worries though. Just knowing that I'll be in sonic-bliss when I come back is pretty awesome!
Old 04-03-2012, 07:17 PM   #3451

Sep 2009

I've been bit by the upgrade bug and would like a new set of front and center speakers (keeping my existing subs and surrounds for now). I went to my local Hi Fi store to listen to some speakers the other day, and of the ones I auditioned (B&W, Klipsh, Paradigm) I liked the Paradigm speakers the best, particularly the Studio series. It was hard to believe the amount of bass the Studio 100's were putting out with a sub! I wasn't able to listen to the Studio 60's but the salesman advised me that the 60's will sound mostly the same as the 100's, just won't get as low. And for the center, that cc-690 looks amazing (didn't get to hear it either). So now I'm at a stumbling point, will I notice that much of a difference over my current Polk speakers and if I decide to spend the money should I go for the 60's or 100's???? I know these are personal questions and no one can tell me the answers, was just hoping for experience from current owners.

Thanks!

Speakers: Paradigm Studio 100, CC-690, ADP-590, HSU VTF-15H
Audio: Pioneer VSX-1121, Emotiva XPA-5, APC H15
Video: Panasonic PT-AE8000U, 115" Seymour AV Screen, Sony BDP-590, HTPC
Old 04-03-2012, 08:58 PM   #3452

Mar 2010
New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatomalo View Post
Yo Blaze, I'm also a Giants fan! Great game, huh? I tell you what, after seeing your home theater gallery, I feel a deep dissatisfaction within me...lol!
Go Big Blue! Sorry for the late post. Thanks for the complement on my gallery! You've got some pretty sweet gear yourself bro! Love your setup!
To cure jealousy is to see it for what it is, a dissatisfaction with self!

Old 04-03-2012, 10:46 PM   #3453
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebracatzebra View Post
I've been bit by the upgrade bug and would like a new set of front and center speakers (keeping my existing subs and surrounds for now). I went to my local Hi Fi store to listen to some speakers the other day, and of the ones I auditioned (B&W, Klipsh, Paradigm) I liked the Paradigm speakers the best, particularly the Studio series. It was hard to believe the amount of bass the Studio 100's were putting out with a sub! I wasn't able to listen to the Studio 60's but the salesman advised me that the 60's will sound mostly the same as the 100's, just won't get as low. And for the center, that cc-690 looks amazing (didn't get to hear it either). So now I'm at a stumbling point, will I notice that much of a difference over my current Polk speakers and if I decide to spend the money should I go for the 60's or 100's???? I know these are personal questions and no one can tell me the answers, was just hoping for experience from current owners.

Thanks!
I don't own them, but if I had the chance for Studio 100's, I'd be all over it!
Old 04-03-2012, 10:55 PM   #3454
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2008

Quote:
I went and picked up my Monitor 9's, Center 3, Atoms and SUB 10 on Friday.

My Receiver won't be in for a couple more days and I'll be back to work by then.

No worries though. Just knowing that I'll be in sonic-bliss when I come back is pretty awesome!
Figured I'd add a pic.

[Show spoiler]Number 5.jpg
Old 04-03-2012, 10:58 PM   #3455
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2010

Looks great, I hope you enjoy them.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:26 PM   #3456

Feb 2010
Allentown, PA
Smile

Hey Hulk, tell me, how does your emo equipment stand with those studio's? I though these speakers would have more of an appetite! I run my studios off my sc27, (145wpc). I'm procrastinating in buying an amp! Call me lazy, but I bet if I can get something with over 200-250wpc, I would hear a huge difference, as I'm told! Are you satisfied with your getup? It looks great!!!!!
[SIZE="2"][B][I]Paradigm Studio 100's v.5 ~ Paradigm CC690 v.5 ~ Paradigm ADP590 v.5 ~ Pioneer Elite SC27 AVR ~ Samsung 55" 240hz LED 8000 ~ PS3 ~ Monster Power Center HTS3500 ~ DVR-Directv ~ SVS PB13-Ultra ~ Xbox 360 Kinect

Last edited by gatomalo; 04-03-2012 at 11:39 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:36 AM   #3457
Blu-ray Baron

Apr 2009
In the country

Quote:
Hey Hulk, tell me, how does your emo equipment stand with those studio's? I though these speakers would have more of an appetite! I run my studios off my sc27, (145wpc). I'm procrastinating in buying an amp! Call me lazy, but I bet if I can get something with over 200-250wpc, I would hear a huge difference, as I'm told! Are you satisfied with your getup? It looks great!!!!!
His 100's as with most Paradigm speakers are very efficient speakers. With his mono's having 200wpc, they are not even breaking a sweat driving those speakers.. An XPA-5 may be a great addition for you.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:59 AM   #3458
Special Member

Mar 2010
"Empire" State

Quote:

Quote:
His 100's as with most Paradigm speakers are very efficient speakers. With his mono's having 200wpc, they are not even breaking a sweat driving those speakers.. An XPA-5 may be a great addition for you.
Yea what he said....The amps get warm at best after 4-6 hrs of intense movie watching.

Get the amp(s), your Studio's will thank you every time you turn them on!!! That sounds kinky doesn't....
Emotiva UMC-1 (Pre/Pro) - Emotiva UPA-1 x3 UPA-2 (Power Amplifiers) - OPPO BDP-103 (Blu-ray Player)
Paradigm Reference Studio 100 v.5 (Floor Standing Speakers) - Paradigm Reference Studio CC-690 v.5 (Center Speaker) - Paradigm Reference Studio ADP-590 (Surround Speakers)
Seaton Subnersive HP (Subwoofer) - Panasonic PT-AE2000U (Projector) - Elite Screens (106" Fixed Frame)
Old 04-04-2012, 01:32 AM   #3459
Special Member

Mar 2010
"Empire" State

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebracatzebra View Post

Thanks!
I couldn't believe it either, the low end on the 100's was incredible, I had to make sure that all of the subs in the showroom were off.

You asked:
"will I notice that much of a difference over my current Polk speakers and if I decide to spend the money should I go for the 60's or 100's????"

If you do alot of 2 channel listening then 100's are the way to go, if set to full range they are awesome, and if your big on movie watching then most definately go with the 100's and the 690 to match (excellent center)

Though the Studio's are not power hungry, I would recommend external amplification in order to reep the full benefits of the low end "LFE" in two channel listening, and for movie watching.....

Good Luck!!!
Old 04-04-2012, 01:40 AM   #3460
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Hulk View Post
I couldn't believe it either, the low end on the 100's was incredible, I had to make sure that all of the subs in the showroom were off.

You asked:
"will I notice that much of a difference over my current Polk speakers and if I decide to spend the money should I go for the 60's or 100's????"

If you do alot of 2 channel listening then 100's are the way to go, if set to full range they are awesome, and if your big on movie watching then most definately go with the 100's and the 690 to match (excellent center)

Though the Studio's are not power hungry, I would recommend external amplification in order to reep the full benefits of the low end "LFE" in two channel listening, and for movie watching.....

Good Luck!!!
You've never tried running your 100's off anything but your mono's right? Try running them off of an avr and you might change your mind.

When I first got the 100's I was using the Pioneer Elite SC-07 and it really struggled to get them to produce much bass when not using a sub. Adding the UPA-1's really helped out and made a huge difference in that regard.

Glad to hear your still enjoying your 100's.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers