Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Matrix 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
38 min ago
Bridge of Spies (Blu-ray)
$8.99

You Were Never Really Here (Blu-ray)
$18.84
3 hrs ago
Avatar The Last Airbender: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Tombstone (Blu-ray)
$8.99

A Quiet Place 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

The Finest Hours (Blu-ray)
$8.99

Army of Darkness (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Fury 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.96

The Sand Pebbles (Blu-ray)
$6.99
18 min ago
Zodiac (Blu-ray)
$5.34

The Rolling Stones: From the Vault - No Security - San Jose '99 (Blu-ray)
$19.94

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > Sports

View Poll Results: Which school will become the 2017-2018 National Champions of College Football?
#4 Alabama Crimson Tide 4 66.67%
#3 Georgia Bulldogs 2 33.33%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-10-2009, 04:27 PM   #1
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2009
Home of N'Sync and the Backstreet Boys
Default 2018-2019 College Football Season Thread

Never too early, in light of the Coaches' Poll released on Friday.

Here it is in case you missed it:

Rank Team (1st place votes) '08 record Points Final '08

1. Florida (53) 13-1 1,466 1
2. Texas (4) 12-1 1,386 3
3. Oklahoma (1) 12-2 1,358 5
4. Southern California (1) 12-1 1,321 2
5. Alabama 12-2 1,134 6
6. Ohio State 10-3 1,126 11
7. Virginia Tech 10-4 1,020 14
8. Penn State 11-2 988 8
9. LSU 8-5 917 NR
10. Mississippi 9-4 889 15
11. Oklahoma State 9-4 861 18
12. California 9-4 711 25
13. Georgia 10-3 707 10
14. Oregon 10-3 694 9
15. Georgia Tech 9-4 559 22
16. Boise State 12-1 542 13
17. TCU 11-2 461 7
18. Utah 13-0 404 4
19. Florida State 9-4 371 23
20. North Carolina 8-5 293 NR
21. Iowa 9-4 257 20
22. Nebraska 9-4 236 NR
23. Notre Dame 7-6 194 NR
24. Brigham Young 10-3 178 21
25. Oregon State 9-4 165 19

Of note to me, UGA plays 4 of the top 15 teams (2 of which are out of conference). That's gotta be one of the tougher schedules in the country. ESPECIALLY compared to the ridiculously soft OOC schedules for Florida, Penn State, etc.

Opening weekend features at least 2 key games:
Alabama (5) v. Viriginia Tech (7)
Georgia (13) at Oklahoma State (11)

Quote:
POLL from 2014-2015. Which school will advance to the National Championship game?
ResultsVoters: 9 members

• #1 Alabama & #2 Oregon - 6 (66.67%)
  • #1 Alabama & #3 Florida State - 3 (33.33%)
  • #2 Oregon & #4 Ohio State - 0 (0%)
  • #3 Florida State & #4 Ohio State - 0 (0%)

Quote:
View Poll Results: Which schools will advance to the National Championship game?
#1 Alabama and #2 Clemson 2 25.00%
#1 Alabama and #3 Ohio State 5 62.50%
#2 Clemson and #4 Washington 1 12.50%
#3 Ohio State and #4 Washington 0

Last edited by MaCruz; 12-26-2017 at 02:07 PM.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:13 PM   #2
Blu-ray Count

Nov 2007
Iowa

It really annoys me when teams schedule a ridiculously soft out of conference schedule. I understand college football has become more of a business, but at least schedule a road game. The only real conference that seems to schedule hard out of conference is the Pac 10, which is a bit of a surprise since they have to play 9 conference games and couldn't be blamed for wanting to get easy out of conference wins.

In my opinion Penn State does not deserve a berth in the national title game regardless of how they do. An out of conference schedule with 4 home games against teams with losing records last year (Akron, Syracuse, Temple, Eastern Illinois) is pathetic and should take them out of the national title discussion, especially when your conference is bad. I agree with you that Georgia has a very hard out of conference schedule, especially when you look at every other SEC teams fairly easy out of conference schedule.

At a minimum I think teams should schedule like Iowa. They always schedule 2 BCS opponents, a lower conference opponent, and an FBS team. This year they start with Northern Iowa, who is a top 5 FBS team, then go to Iowa State in a rivalry game, then host Arizona, with a later home game against Arkansas State. This isn't a horrible schedule but at least they have a road game against a BCS conference team, which is something Alabama, Florida, Oklahoma State, Texas, and Michigan haven't done this year.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:19 PM   #3
Community Gaming Moderator

Mar 2009
Jacksonville, FL

You guys know how I feel about college football. My friend told me about UF has an easy schedule this year and could possibly repeat. I'm not surprised.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:26 PM   #4
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatediesel View Post
It really annoys me when teams schedule a ridiculously soft out of conference schedule. I understand college football has become more of a business, but at least schedule a road game. The only real conference that seems to schedule hard out of conference is the Pac 10, which is a bit of a surprise since they have to play 9 conference games and couldn't be blamed for wanting to get easy out of conference wins.

In my opinion Penn State does not deserve a berth in the national title game regardless of how they do. An out of conference schedule with 4 home games against teams with losing records last year (Akron, Syracuse, Temple, Eastern Illinois) is pathetic and should take them out of the national title discussion, especially when your conference is bad. I agree with you that Georgia has a very hard out of conference schedule, especially when you look at every other SEC teams fairly easy out of conference schedule.

At a minimum I think teams should schedule like Iowa. They always schedule 2 BCS opponents, a lower conference opponent, and an FBS team. This year they start with Northern Iowa, who is a top 5 FBS team, then go to Iowa State in a rivalry game, then host Arizona, with a later home game against Arkansas State. This isn't a horrible schedule but at least they have a road game against a BCS conference team, which is something Alabama, Florida, Oklahoma State, Texas, and Michigan haven't done this year.
UGA plays Ga. Tech every year. Sometimes Tech is good (last year, this year), and sometimes they're bad.

At least UF plays FSU every year (who is like Ga. Tech, recently).

But other than FSU, UF plays a bunch of pansies.

UGA opens at Oklahoma State, then hosts Arizona State and Ga. Tech. It has one softball team -- Tennessee Tech. This is in addition to playing LSU, Florida, South Carolina, etc.

That said, UGA's schedule the next several years is a little more realistic: Ga. Tech, then a school like Oregon, Clemson, Colorado, or Louisville, then 1-2 pansy schools.

Re: the PAC 10. They have to schedule tough OOC games; their in-conference schedule is W E A K.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:27 PM   #5
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by macruz19 View Post
You guys know how I feel about college football. My friend told me about UF has an easy schedule this year and could possibly repeat. I'm not surprised.
UF returns ALL 11 DEFENSIVE STARTERS. That's ridiculous.

Hope they lose 15 games this season, but I'm afraid they'll win all but one...
Old 08-10-2009, 05:31 PM   #6
Community Gaming Moderator

Mar 2009
Jacksonville, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by O_V_N View Post
UF returns ALL 11 DEFENSIVE STARTERS. That's ridiculous.

Hope they lose 15 games this season, but I'm afraid they'll win all but one...
Which team will they lose to?
Old 08-10-2009, 05:34 PM   #7
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by macruz19 View Post
Which team will they lose to?
Charleston Southern. Or Troy. Or Florida International.

Kidding, but isn't it amazing that they get to play those 3 schools? LOL And NO ONE (especially not ESPN) will call them on it. Such is the love affair with UF right now.

I think they'll lose to LSU or Georgia (who is 3-0 against defending national champions in the last 5 years). MAYBE even FSU this year.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:34 PM   #8

Dec 2008

I think The SEC is champion of the soft OOC schedule.

Now lets get the SEC fanboy to chime in with "But the SEC is practically the NFL" garbage. I give it 5 posts.

Quote:

Old 08-10-2009, 05:35 PM   #9

Dec 2008

Quote:
Re: the PAC 10. They have to schedule tough OOC games; their in-conference schedule is W E A K.
What is the SEC's record against the Pac10 in the last 10 years?
Old 08-10-2009, 05:36 PM   #10
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2009
Camp Crystal lake

Yea my boys have a soft schedule (Penn St) but u still have to go out an win!! I think we can run the table this year!! Look out for our running game as we may have one of the best rushing attacks in the country!!
If My Auntie Had Nuts, She Would Be My Uncle!"
Old 08-10-2009, 05:39 PM   #11
Blu-ray Count

Nov 2007
Iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufel Hunden View Post

Now lets get the SEC fanboy to chime in with "But the SEC is practically the NFL" garbage. I give it 5 posts.
I agree that with the exception of Georgia the SEC plays the easiest OOC schedule. Hard to even debate that, with 23% of their OOC games against FBS teams and another 48% of their games against non-BCS teams. Still, you can't say a team like Mississippi with a pathetic OOC schedule plays an easier overall schedule than any Big East, ACC, or Big 10 team. And I'm not an SEC fanboy, can't stand them or their fans, but it is true that the conference is stacked.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:06 PM   #12
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2009

Quote:

Who cares about the SEC? I was talking about UGA. UGA has a tough OOC schedule this year. Find one tougher.

Quote:
What is the SEC's record against the Pac10 in the last 10 years?
Why just the last 10 years? Oh, I know why...because it favors your argument. Overall the SEC leads the Pac-10 60-38-5 (.607). Over the past 11 years (1998 - 2008), the Pac-10 leads the SEC 10-7 (.588).

What does that prove? Nothing, who cares.

All I really care about is that last year, UGA beat the snot out of Arizona State and will likely do it again this year.

Quote:
And I'm not an SEC fanboy, can't stand them or their fans, but it is true that the conference is stacked.
No offense taken.

Last edited by Chordata; 08-10-2009 at 06:15 PM.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:40 PM   #13
Blu-ray Archduke

Mar 2007

Quote:

In my opinion Penn State does not deserve a berth in the national title game regardless of how they do.
typical of the top b10 teams they play akron, ohio u exc. between michigan, OSU, and Penn state (ohio state the most) they all just sit back while everyones playing tough teams and sneak their way into the top 5 every year and it really helps having 50+% of the media either coaching or playing in the big10.

I'd really love to see them have to play 3 hard teams every year and I'd bet they'd never get a shot at another national championship.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:44 PM   #14
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersix4 View Post
typical of the top b10 teams they play akron, ohio u exc. between michigan, OSU, and Penn state (ohio state the most) they all just sit back while everyones playing tough teams and sneak their way into the top 5 every year and it really helps having 50+% of the media either coaching or playing in the big10.

I'd really love to see them have to play 3 hard teams every year and I'd bet they'd never get a shot at another national championship.
Agreed. OSU's and PSU's OOC schedules are laughable.

OSU plays:
Navy
USC
Toledo
New Mexico State

PSU plays:
Akron
Syracuse
Temple
Eastern Illinois

Michigan plays:
Western Michigan
Notre Dame
Eastern Michigan (this means Michigan has EIGHT F'ING games in the state of MI.)
Delaware State

Michigan State plays:
Montana State
Central Michigan
Notre Dame
Western Michigan

Northwestern plays:
Towson
Eastern Michigan
Syracuse
Miami (OH)

Yet NO ONE in the media calls these teams out on this. They say the SEC teams are afraid to travel outside the south. Looks like Big 10 teams won't travel outside of their region, either. Michigan plays EIGHT games in Michigan.

Last edited by Chordata; 08-10-2009 at 07:50 PM.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:48 PM   #15
Blu-ray Archduke

Mar 2007

Quote:
Agreed. OSU's and PSU's OOC schedules are laughable.
dude and they do it every year!! while teams like georgia, texas exc. are fighting it out with hard teams they sit back play akron and toledo and get 60 points and all we hear about for weeks from the media is wow how about that OSU offense. I love having those two championships on my 360 when they got stomped out hard.

Also that usc game would have been more lop sided had he taken field goals instead of gone for points.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:51 PM   #16
Blu-ray Count

Nov 2007
Iowa

Ohio State doesn't have a horrible OOC schedule, they play USC and Navy, who was 8-5 last year, in addition to a road game against Akron (how did they not buy their way out of that?) and play New Mexico State. The USC game in itself makes their OOC schedule among the hardest in the country.

There is no defending Penn State's schedule though. Play a road game. No defending Michigan's schedule either. All home games, only decent team is Notre Dame, and games against Eastern Michigan, Western Michigan, and Deleware State. Apparently playing directional Michigan schools and Notre Dame is the popular thing for Michigan teams to do, as Michigan State plays Central Michigan, Western Michigan, and Montana State in addition to their game at Notre Dame.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:54 PM   #17
Blu-ray Archduke

Mar 2007

I wanted so bad to see georgia get a shot at osu in a bowl game SO BAD last year, just so they could be embarrassed 3 years in a row by the sec.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:55 PM   #18
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersix4 View Post
I wanted so bad to see georgia get a shot at osu in a bowl game SO BAD last year, just so they could be embarrassed 3 years in a row by the sec.
Same here. Unfortunately, Georgia got Michigan State, and tried to give the game away in the first half.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:57 PM   #19
Blu-ray Archduke

Mar 2007

Quote:
he USC game in itself makes their OOC schedule among the hardest in the country. .
And thats why I don't count 1 early game because thats what they always do get their butts whipped early (or win ) and then sneak by when everyone else is in the meat of the year. and they drop to 15 then sneak up to the top 5 because everyone else is playing tough teams.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:58 PM   #20
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2009

Quote:
Ohio State doesn't have a horrible OOC schedule, they play USC and Navy, who was 8-5 last year, in addition to a road game against Akron (how did they not buy their way out of that?) and play New Mexico State. The USC game in itself makes their OOC schedule among the hardest in the country.
Ok, I agree when OSU plays USC it's tough to rag on them. Playing a top 10 team should deserve playing 2 crappy OOC teams. I have no problem with that.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > Sports

Tags
awesomeness, college, tebow