Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
14 hrs ago
Edge of Tomorrow 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
14 hrs ago
Alien Anthology and Prometheus (Blu-ray)
$19.98
23 hrs ago
Godzilla 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
10 hrs ago
Edge of Tomorrow (Blu-ray)
$14.99
19 hrs ago
Halloween: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$79.99
23 hrs ago
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Blu-ray)
$14.99
14 hrs ago
The Wizard of Oz 3D (Blu-ray)
$46.70
1 hr ago
Jersey Boys (Blu-ray)
$14.99
19 hrs ago
Neighbors (Blu-ray)
$9.99
19 hrs ago
Tammy (Blu-ray)
$14.99
19 hrs ago
Time Bandits (Blu-ray)
$21.99
6 hrs ago
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$14.99
21 hrs ago
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Plasma TVs

Old 02-22-2013, 02:19 PM   #61
Special Member

Jun 2010

Yep, that's the perfect usage for Plasma.

A two TV set up wouldn't work for me since I want to do my gaming on my biggest and best TV. I also only have one TV and it will likely stay that way as neither my girlfriend or I like having a TV in the bedroom. But for those that do, or have other set ups for multiple TVs that is a good way to go--nice plasma for movie and regular TV watching, nice LED for games and ESPN/CNN and other things with static images. Assuming one watches a lot of both types of content of course.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:38 AM   #62
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2007
Bay Area, CA PlayStation® 3 ID: SlmShdy1

Well, after a couple months and much hassle, my burn-in never did go away. The company that Best Buy sent out to my house was unable to order a new panel, so I will have to exchange my set for a new TV. It's going to be like-for-like technology. I'll have to go to my store and see if they have any of last year's models left. Otherwise, I don't know what my options are. If I have have the option, I may go with Samsung since those panels are better when it comes to image retention.
I Do Blu
Old 02-07-2014, 10:02 PM   #63

Sep 2011

It's been almost 6 months since NFL network logo was burn into my vt60.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:20 PM   #64

Jul 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55 View Post
It's been almost 6 months since NFL network logo was burn into my vt60.
Are you saying that the nfl network logo has been there for 6 months or has it been gone for 6 months?

I bought a vt60 in November and tried to baby it as much as possible during break in. It has since been calibrated and about 2 weeks ago I noticed the stupid espn logo and lines from the ticker at the bottom. I never stayed on espn for longer than a game and even then I'd flip away during commercials.
It was only noticeable during the winter olympics, when the white snow showed it or when the bottom of the screen is on brighter images. Ofcourse, I noticed it a lot more after discovering it.
I called panasonic and as someone before in this thread mentioned I'm SOL. They said they don't cover image retention and said for me to run the screen wipe 1 hour before and 1 hour after watching for the day.
Best buy also won't do anything cause I didn't purchase the geek squad protection plan. If I had they would have tried to fix it and if they couldn't they would have replaced it.

I have run the screen wipe frequenctly, ran slides and also jscreenfix burned from the internet. The IR has diminished quite a bit now, so hopefully it will go away.

Has anyone purchased a vt60 and had similar IR? Have any methods helped out with removing it more than others?
Old 02-19-2014, 06:56 PM   #65
Expert Member

Jan 2011
O-H-I-O

The bottomline, unfortunately, is that you can't watch ANY TV channels anymore on a plasma without at least risking IR, with the exception of TCM. Every other channel I know of has some sort of static image, be it their logo, screen crawlers, or whatever. Even TCM has a logo, but thankfully they only show it for a brief few seconds and very intermittently at that. Our local news is the worst ... they have a regular screen crawler, and then on top of that, they run these huge alert banners whenever there's a weather fart, school closings, or other B.S. During several bad storms this winter, almost half the screen was obscured by this crap. Even with the zoom via the cable box plus the zoom of the TV (ie. "double-zoomed"), almost a quarter of the screen was gunked up.

And don't bother contacting TV stations/channels to complain about their static images. They could care less, and that is basically what they'll tell you (my past attempts at this yielded suggestions that I get a "better TV").

I recently got a ZT and it's not going to be seeing any TV programming. But I only own plasmas, so my trusty old Kuro is going to have to be the bearer of all my TV viewing. However, I do use zoom when it's not too annoying, and for some reason Kuros seem to be more resistant to IR.

Last edited by Midnight Rambler; 02-19-2014 at 07:01 PM.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:55 PM   #66
Super Moderator

Jul 2006
Gilead

I haven't had any on my VT60 which I've owned for almost 2 months now, I got some wicked bad IR on my GT50 but my own fault...fell asleep with the F1 2012 video game paused on my PS3 and had my TV's power settings to "OFF" so it stayed on all night. Had nasty "F1" logo in top right, I ran the screen wipe a couple times then went back to normal viewing and figured, whoops, if it goes away it goes away. I checked it a week later with the screen wipe and there was no sign of it.

My content varies quite a bit, I watch stations with static logos but never only one channel so I've never got burn in or IR that takes a long time to go away on any of my four plasmas. I found the GT50 more sensitive to IR than the VT60 but it was only during that initial 20 seconds of power on when the power up menus would leave retention on the screen, gone pretty quickly.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:55 AM   #67

Jul 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
I haven't had any on my VT60 which I've owned for almost 2 months now, I got some wicked bad IR on my GT50 but my own fault...fell asleep with the F1 2012 video game paused on my PS3 and had my TV's power settings to "OFF" so it stayed on all night. Had nasty "F1" logo in top right, I ran the screen wipe a couple times then went back to normal viewing and figured, whoops, if it goes away it goes away. I checked it a week later with the screen wipe and there was no sign of it.

My content varies quite a bit, I watch stations with static logos but never only one channel so I've never got burn in or IR that takes a long time to go away on any of my four plasmas. I found the GT50 more sensitive to IR than the VT60 but it was only during that initial 20 seconds of power on when the power up menus would leave retention on the screen, gone pretty quickly.
I'm at that point now, if it goes away it goes away. I will continue running the screen wipe for an hour before I turn it off at night. I did notice that no other images retain now, meaning this happened during the break in period when most people say is when the pixels are most sensitive. It is only noticeable at seldom times during watching, but all in all the picture quality of the vt60 more than compensates for this stubborn IR. It is still hands down the best tv I've owned. (Samsung DLP and Samsung 55" LCD) When I buy a new tv in five years I'll probably go with an OLED...if they don't have IR issues
Old 02-20-2014, 01:38 PM   #68

Mar 2011
Trenton, OH

I'm actually on my third GT50 now. A few months ago I had to have the replacement display replaced because of DSE and burn-in. I tried contacting customer service because the replacement display should have still been in warranty, but they said the warranty only covered the year from when I purchased the original TV. Thankfully, I kept all the emails from the first time I had to go through this and just contacted the rep that helped last time. They sent someone out to look at it and he told me that he sees quite a lot of that with the 50 models and that Panasonic honestly just doesn't know what's causing it.

I know Panasonic isn't producing plasmas anymore, but even if they were I still haven't been able to recommend them to anyone. The picture looks gorgeous, but the amount of time I've spent getting sets replaced and babying the replacements just isn't worth it.
Old 02-20-2014, 02:13 PM   #69

Jul 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canvas of Flesh View Post
I'm actually on my third GT50 now. A few months ago I had to have the replacement display replaced because of DSE and burn-in. I tried contacting customer service because the replacement display should have still been in warranty, but they said the warranty only covered the year from when I purchased the original TV. Thankfully, I kept all the emails from the first time I had to go through this and just contacted the rep that helped last time. They sent someone out to look at it and he told me that he sees quite a lot of that with the 50 models and that Panasonic honestly just doesn't know what's causing it.

I know Panasonic isn't producing plasmas anymore, but even if they were I still haven't been able to recommend them to anyone. The picture looks gorgeous, but the amount of time I've spent getting sets replaced and babying the replacements just isn't worth it.
how did you get panasonic to send techs over to look? They refuse to help me at all because they say the year warranty doesn't cover image retention or in the worse case burn in (hopefully isn't my case, i don't see any of it with the tv off)
Old 02-20-2014, 02:20 PM   #70

Mar 2011
Trenton, OH

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarster View Post
how did you get panasonic to send techs over to look? They refuse to help me at all because they say the year warranty doesn't cover image retention or in the worse case burn in (hopefully isn't my case, i don't see any of it with the tv off)
I filed a complaint with the BBB. Panasonic ended up contacting me shortly after. After jumping through a fair few hoops and talking to a couple of reps I was able to get a replacement...which started having problems about 9 months later. I'm not sure if they were more willing to work with me because of my circumstances, but it can't hurt to try.
Old 02-20-2014, 02:26 PM   #71

Jul 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canvas of Flesh View Post
I filed a complaint with the BBB. Panasonic ended up contacting me shortly after. After jumping through a fair few hoops and talking to a couple of reps I was able to get a replacement...which started having problems about 9 months later. I'm not sure if they were more willing to work with me because of my circumstances, but it can't hurt to try.
Thanks Canvas of Flesh, I'll probably give this a try.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:32 PM   #72
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2009
A bit off...

My panny VT50 (top of the line a few years back) shows the bars from watching too many 2.35:1 movies.Nothing major,so I just ignore on the few 16:9 movies I have since it doesn't interfere with those 2.35:1 movies.

Think next TV I get is gonna be a LED unless something new comes along in the next years.Happy with mine still,so will hold onto it for a few more years.
Don't complain Kubrick isn't around anymore when you have Fincher.

Self improvement is masturbation-Tyler Durden
Old 02-20-2014, 08:13 PM   #73
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2009
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahatma View Post
My panny VT50 (top of the line a few years back) shows the bars from watching too many 2.35:1 movies.Nothing major,so I just ignore on the few 16:9 movies I have since it doesn't interfere with those 2.35:1 movies.

Think next TV I get is gonna be a LED unless something new comes along in the next years.Happy with mine still,so will hold onto it for a few more years.
Does you HDTV have a image-retention, scrolling bar feature, to help prevent such potential burn-in from occurring?

Last edited by slimdude; 02-25-2014 at 05:19 PM.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:56 PM   #74

Sep 2012
Santa Barbara, California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahatma View Post

My VT50 develops IR that goes away just seconds after switching content. My little boy watches a lot of Nick, Disney Jr. and the worst of all, in terms of overly bright static logos, Cartoon Network but astonishingly the IR literaly goes away very fast.

Same thing with black bars from a 2:35, 1:33 aspect ratio. As soon as i switch to full screen content it seems to (for a lack of better word) suck the IR out. It's truly cool to watch. Maybe I just got lucky but I love my Panny plasma. No way will I switch to any LED. Maybe when OLEDS are the norm will I consider upgrading.

Oh yeah and I always have my TV on THX Cinema Mode. The pixel orbiter is disabled in this mode but it hasn't been a problem thus far.
When I was a very small boy/
Very small boys talked to me/
Now that we've grown up together/
They're all taking drugs with me/
Old 02-21-2014, 09:33 AM   #75
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2009
A bit off...

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimdude View Post
Does you HDTV have a anti-retention, scrolling bar feature, to help prevent such potential burn-in from occurring?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroj23 View Post
My VT50 develops IR that goes away just seconds after switching content. My little boy watches a lot of Nick, Disney Jr. and the worst of all, in terms of overly bright static logos, Cartoon Network but astonishingly the IR literaly goes away very fast.

Same thing with black bars from a 2:35, 1:33 aspect ratio. As soon as i switch to full screen content it seems to (for a lack of better word) suck the IR out. It's truly cool to watch. Maybe I just got lucky but I love my Panny plasma. No way will I switch to any LED. Maybe when OLEDS are the norm will I consider upgrading.

Oh yeah and I always have my TV on THX Cinema Mode. The pixel orbiter is disabled in this mode but it hasn't been a problem thus far.
Don't missunderstand me:Love the panny,but I watch mostly 2.35:1 aspect movies which gives black borders,so there now is a permanent retention of those bars.Almost not visible,but they're there.Have not tried to let the TV stand turned on to a regular channel for a long time (4 hours+fcourse without a static logo) to see if that cures it.

Begin to regret not buying the philips 21:9 TV when I bought my panny.Considered it,but the rave reviews of the panny and that some of my fav movies are in 16:9 made me choose the panny.

I've learned to live with it.

@Slimdude:It stated it came with that kind of protection,but guess it wasn't bullet proof.Edit:Guess i missread your question.Don't think it comes with a feature that gives a scrolling bar...Maybe I don't quite understand your question...
Don't complain Kubrick isn't around anymore when you have Fincher.

Self improvement is masturbation-Tyler Durden
Old 02-21-2014, 05:51 PM   #76

Jul 2009

I wish I was made aware of the screen wipe function when I bought the VT60, since this is my first plasma I was unaware. I would have run it about 1 hour or so after watching each day during the first month of the break in period. This may have made the image retention disappear instead of it lingering and being very stubborn after the tv is broken in some. I will try the Disney WOW pixel flipper when the blu arrives tomorrow to see if that removes more of it.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:42 AM   #77
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2010
Woodridge, IL

I have a 60" ST60 and I've been noticing some IR...tried the Disney WOW for three days, haven't been leaving it on pause or anything for any length of time. I'm thinking I may call geek squad just to check it out. It's fine when I watch a movie (though I do see a very faint square of the "Stop" button in the lower left corner), but when I put load up my PS3 on the welcome screen, I see some if the IR in places, as well as when I look at my DirecTV menu.

I got my VT30 replaced because of burn in issues with the GSP and got this VT60 instead, which I LOVE! But I don't want burn in problems again. Thinking I will call them this week. Can't hurt...I just hate when you try to show them something and they don't see it or the TV decides to magically behave so they can't see it.
Fun Fact: I am the same height ( 5'1'') as Carrie Fisher, Jean Harlow, Holly Hunter, Christina Ricci, Emilie De Ravin, Anna Kendrick, Kristen Bell...yes great things do come in small packages :)

TV: Panasonic ST60 60"
Receiver: Sony STRDH830
Speakers: Klipsch HDT1000
Old 02-25-2014, 04:07 PM   #78

Jul 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipleyLV426 View Post
I have a 60" ST60 and I've been noticing some IR...tried the Disney WOW for three days, haven't been leaving it on pause or anything for any length of time. I'm thinking I may call geek squad just to check it out. It's fine when I watch a movie (though I do see a very faint square of the "Stop" button in the lower left corner), but when I put load up my PS3 on the welcome screen, I see some if the IR in places, as well as when I look at my DirecTV menu.

I got my VT30 replaced because of burn in issues with the GSP and got this VT60 instead, which I LOVE! But I don't want burn in problems again. Thinking I will call them this week. Can't hurt...I just hate when you try to show them something and they don't see it or the TV decides to magically behave so they can't see it.
Yeah, sounds like my issue to a t, you can see it on the ps3 menu screen. Did you buy the geek squad protection plan? They said they won't come over cause I didn't and I will have to take the tv into best buy for them to look at it.
I did run the disney wow pixel flipper a total of 9 hours or so off and on and I only see it seldomly when the image moves over a light surface. I filed a complaint with the BBB so we'll seee where that goes.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:36 PM   #79

Sep 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarster View Post
Are you saying that the nfl network logo has been there for 6 months or has it been gone for 6 months?

I bought a vt60 in November and tried to baby it as much as possible during break in. It has since been calibrated and about 2 weeks ago I noticed the stupid espn logo and lines from the ticker at the bottom. I never stayed on espn for longer than a game and even then I'd flip away during commercials.
It was only noticeable during the winter olympics, when the white snow showed it or when the bottom of the screen is on brighter images. Ofcourse, I noticed it a lot more after discovering it.
I called panasonic and as someone before in this thread mentioned I'm SOL. They said they don't cover image retention and said for me to run the screen wipe 1 hour before and 1 hour after watching for the day.
Best buy also won't do anything cause I didn't purchase the geek squad protection plan. If I had they would have tried to fix it and if they couldn't they would have replaced it.

I have run the screen wipe frequenctly, ran slides and also jscreenfix burned from the internet. The IR has diminished quite a bit now, so hopefully it will go away.

Has anyone purchased a vt60 and had similar IR? Have any methods helped out with removing it more than others?
Yep.

Quote:
re you saying that the nfl network logo has been there for 6 months or has it been gone for 6 months
Yes, 6 months with the NFL Network logo burned in.
Old 03-06-2014, 03:50 PM   #80

Jul 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55 View Post
Yep.

Yes, 6 months with the NFL Network logo burned in.
Sorry to hear that. My espn and ticker line IR has gone away enough to not see it during say 95% of my tv viewing so I can live with it now. You can really only see it if you put on a white screen and walk up to look for it.

I ran jscreenfix (probably a total of 4 hours), the screen wipe (1 hour after watching tv for the day for 2 weeks and going now) and the pixel flipper on the disney wow disc (probably ran for a total of 10 hours). I also started unplugging the tv for a few days, which also seems to help get all the charge out of the pixels. I will probably run the pixel flipper one more 6 hour session over night and continue the screen wipe every night for an hour or so and see if it disappears completely during normal tv watching.

All in all I am loving the VT60 though. The picture quality is awesome! I will try to watch a Reds game on it when the season starts to see if the stupid scoreboard and Fox logo retains. I have already made plans to watch sports on my older LCD in another room.

Last edited by amarster; 03-06-2014 at 03:55 PM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Plasma TVs