Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Alfred Hitchcock: The Masterpiece Collection (Blu-ray)
$98.99
How to Train Your Dragon 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Interstellar (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Fast & Furious 1-6 Collection (Blu-ray)
$39.99
The Three Stooges Collection - Volume One - Triple Feature (Blu-ray)
$7.79
Duck, You Sucker (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Thunderbirds: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$44.97
The Book of Life (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Little House on the Prairie: Season Five (Blu-ray)
$17.89
The Tree of Life (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Whiplash (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Defiance: Season One (Blu-ray)
$12.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 02-07-2015, 10:21 PM   #1461
Special Member

Feb 2014

Re: Godfather Part III, agree 100% that this film has been unfairly & almost universally despised over the years; sure, it's not even close to being as good as the first two GF films, but it's still a decent movie.

This film also has one of my favorite quotes in cinema: "Just when I thought I was out... they pull me back in."

I've always been interested in the theme of redemption, so it was interesting here to see an aging Michael Corleone looking back at his life, regretting many of the things he had done, and trying to make up for them.

The Atlantic city
[Show spoiler]massacre was quite shocking & unexpected when I first saw this, since I didn't see it coming in the least. Quite brutal & raw.

IMHO the final sequence in the film,
[Show spoiler]i.e. the opera & Mary's subsequent death - was expertly carried out; it was quite suspenseful seeing the assassin skulk in the opera's balconies & take out the bodyguards; and, it was a shock when Mary (Sofia C.) died; this was especially horrible, since Michael was the target & he would obviously live with this guilt for the rest of his life.

And, I felt the very final scene
[Show spoiler]- with an elderly Michael dying peacefully in the small Italian village - to be quite poignant & ironic, since he had lived a very violent life & was responsible for a lot of deaths....Yet, he himself lived a long life & passed of natural causes...

I don't mind the exclusion of Duvall; I think the film works fine without him. I don't think not having him should be held against the film, since the story has nothing to do with his character in the least. Also, IIRC most of Godfather III is set in the late 1970's, which, IIRC, is about 30 years after Godfather II. So, it would make sense that a lot of these characters aren't around anymore...Of course, I think Duvall is an overrated actor anyway...

And, let's be honest, even if Duvall had been in the film I'm sure it would still have been slammed by critics/movie fans. IMHO there was nothing the film could have done to make people think it was good back when it was released. It had too much to live up to, re: the previous two critically acclaimed films...

I also don't understand the vitriol directed against S. Copolla - sure, she was in the film because her dad directed it - I completely get that - i.e., Hollywood nepotism at it's most blatant. But, I felt that, considering her role, her acting was not bad - she was playing a young woman who was in love with her cousin (A. Garcia), and IMHO this came across fairly well in the film - her role did not require that much acting; and, I'm not sure that another actress would have been able to do any better, especially since I didn't think she did a bad job here. I thought she played the role of a young, nieve, love-struck woman fairly well.

[Show spoiler]I thought the scene when she died at the end was quite poignant; and, her father's (Pacino's) reaction was realistic & heart-felt.
Thanks given by:
jscoggins (02-07-2015)
Old 02-07-2015, 10:23 PM   #1462
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

I don't think "flawed but still good" is a contentious summary. I would guess the vast majority would describe Part III that way. It was even nominated for best picture.

If someone calls it a worthless piece of trash just roll your eyes at their drama and move along.
Old 02-07-2015, 10:24 PM   #1463
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnamorphicWidescreen View Post
I also don't understand the vitriol directed against S. Copolla - sure, she was in the film because her dad directed it - I completely get that - i.e., Hollywood nepotism at it's most blatant. But, I felt that, considering her role, her acting was not bad - she was playing a young woman who was in love with her cousin (A. Garcia), and IMHO this came across fairly well in the film - her role did not require that much acting; and, I'm not sure that another actress would have been able to do any better, especially since I didn't think she did a bad job here. I thought she played the role of a young, nieve, love-struck woman fairly well.

[Show spoiler]I thought the scene when she died at the end was quite poignant; and, her father's (Pacino's) reaction was realistic & heart-felt.
Be brave.
Old 02-08-2015, 02:06 AM   #1464

Feb 2013
Edmonton, AB

I have the first US version (had it preordered) which I still haven't watched (waiting on my wife, I should just go ahead and watch them) and yeah it's the single case with the four or five discs? In a slip. I got the Blufans steel last summer and it's very nice. A bit pricey but worth it. I was in Mexico a few weeks ago and I saw a set that had the Coppola restoration sleeve on the outside but for the picture the inner part looked like the art on the UK ultimate set. It was big, like almost a foot from top to bottom. The discs were all in a sleeve on one card and it included the final shooting script. It was a nice set and numbered, but it was over $100. If I hadnt just got the Blufans version I might have picked it up. When I have time I'll post the pic and am I able to add titles to the database? There were a bunch there I saw that aren't on here, picked up a few titles too while I was there.
Steelbooks, box sets, and blus for sale:
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=244641
Old 02-08-2015, 02:12 AM   #1465
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakdonark View Post
When I have time I'll post the pic and am I able to add titles to the database? There were a bunch there I saw that aren't on here, picked up a few titles too while I was there.
Yes, members can add titles to the database.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=144138
Be brave.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America