Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Far and Away (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Fast & Furious 6 (Blu-ray)
$13.00
Ender's Game (Blu-ray)
$13.00
Gravity 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Gravity (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$16.98
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Rise of the Guardians (Blu-ray)
$10.00
8-Film Action Collection (Blu-ray)
$7.99
High Plains Drifter (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Blu-ray)
$5.99
Intolerable Cruelty (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Planet Earth (Blu-ray)
$45.99
Gremlins (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Weird Science (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III: Turtles in Time (Blu-ray)
$4.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Old 04-14-2014, 02:26 PM   #27721
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntauk View Post
What's the general opinion on the 2001 sequel 2010: The Year We Make Contact? I haven't seen it myself.
Was never going to be as successful. The novel isn't quite as good as the original and even after that short a time, the original movie was a classic so it never had a chance. But all in all, it is not a horrible film, just not on the level of 2001. Personally I would like to see them complete and do 2061 and 3001 - even if they are just as good as 2010, it would still be interesting to see.

What I found with both films is that you need to read the novel as well to fully understand it. They try and tell it visually but then people have a hard time with it, like the last act of 2001, because how you see things is different than how others. I wouldn't say that the last act of 2001 is weak - how do you represent the ride of a lifetime in a way that everyone understands especially when the character isn't supposed to understand right until the end.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:35 PM   #27722
Special Member

Dec 2010
Miami Lakes, Florida

Death Proof is one of Tarantino's best films.
Hail Hydra!

15 Favorite Films: 1) Inglourious Basterds 2) Back to the Future 3) The Empire Strikes Back 4) Pulp Fiction 5) Aliens 6) Halloween 7) Jurassic Park 8) Raiders of the Lost Ark 9) The Good, the Bad and the Ugly 10) 2001: A Space Odyssey 11) Goodfellas 12) Star Wars 13) Jaws 14) Shaun of the Dead 15) Taxi Driver

My Letterboxd
Old 04-14-2014, 04:54 PM   #27723
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2010
UK

Quote:
What's the general opinion on the 2001 sequel 2010: The Year We Make Contact? I haven't seen it myself.
If you like intelligent sci-fi give it a go. Its not 2001 (not much is!) but Ive always thought of it as a solid 8/10 film. It is quite 80's so that might be a deciding factor. Oh and if you like Roy Scheider and Helen Mirren definitely give it a go!
Panasonic TX-P50GT60
Panasonic DMR-EX79
Sony BDP-E870
Old 04-14-2014, 05:44 PM   #27724

Oct 2009
Albuquerque, NM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDiGriz View Post
If you like intelligent sci-fi give it a go. Its not 2001 (not much is!) but Ive always thought of it as a solid 8/10 film. It is quite 80's so that might be a deciding factor. Oh and if you like Roy Scheider and Helen Mirren definitely give it a go!
I agree completely.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:52 PM   #27725
Expert Member

Aug 2010

Quote:
I read that it had mixed to warm reviews, seems like that's the general feel here also. I'll see if I can track down that old Warners disc.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:14 PM   #27726
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2013
-

I view X-Men: First Class as X-Men Origins: Magneto; the rest is just window dressing. Michael Fassbender gave a better performance in the role than Ian McKellan, who was left with no choice but to ham it up spectacularly due to the way his character was written. Ian chewed the scenery wonderfully (I love over-the-top villains when they're played by great actors... see also: Kevin Bacon in FC) but Michael had the juicier bits and completely nailed it.

"I'd like you to know that I agree with every word you said... But, unfortunately, you killed my mother."

"I prefer... Magneto."
Just a fly in the ointment. The monkey in the wrench. The pain in the ass.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:58 PM   #27727
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2010
UK

Quote:
I read that it had mixed to warm reviews, seems like that's the general feel here also. I'll see if I can track down that old Warners disc.
Be warned - its certainly not a demo disc! Certainly superior to the old murky DVD though (not difficult)
Panasonic TX-P50GT60
Panasonic DMR-EX79
Sony BDP-E870
Old 04-16-2014, 04:29 PM   #27728
Expert Member

Aug 2010

Quote:
Be warned - its certainly not a demo disc! Certainly superior to the old murky DVD though (not difficult)
Ah it ok I can live without reference quality transfers, its the film I mainly care about, but thanks for the heads up - although admittedly I get a little bummed when it gets as bad as the original French Connection transfer and Escape From New York. It's en-route from Cex for a tenner, quite pleased at that considering the crazy prices going on amazon, I guess the UK disc is OOP!
Old 04-16-2014, 05:42 PM   #27729
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2008
Upstate, NY

Quote:
I thought it was actually pretty good and certianly had its moments. Its a decently made film with good performances. The whole Cold War subplot with Russia is hopelessly out of date and wont resonate with anyone younger.

The effects & production values are solid though. I like the film and even though its completely different in tone and execution than 2001 its an OK film in its own right. When ever I watch 2001 I end up watching this too
Pioneer 5080 KURO
Samsung UN6500 LED
LG BD-570, Sony BDP-S360, PS 3
Toshiba A30 & A2
Sony STRDG-AV 810
Polk TSi 300's, M10's, RM8, PSW110
Harmony 510
Old 04-16-2014, 09:29 PM   #27730

Apr 2010

I'll throw in my 2 cents:

TDK trilogy was good, but really screwed up the Batman "mythology" so to speak and TDKR is way, way overrated.

The Wild Bunch and Tombstone are far greater western's than just about any made before or since.

John Hughes movies are not as good as we remember them (or think how we rememeber them). See also Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

Loved Terminator:Salvation. My favorite of the three.

Star Wars: The Clone Wars cartoon series is far superior to the train wreck called the Prequel Trilogy.

Django Unchained completely, utterly sucked. I mean, really sucked.

I think Ben Affleck will make a good Batman.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:33 PM   #27731
Special Member

Dec 2010
Miami Lakes, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabrams View Post

TDK trilogy was good, but really screwed up the Batman "mythology" so to speak and TDKR is way, way overrated.

The Wild Bunch and Tombstone are far greater western's than just about any made before or since.

John Hughes movies are not as good as we remember them (or think how we rememeber them). See also Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

Star Wars: The Clone Wars cartoon series is far superior to the train wreck called the Prequel Trilogy.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on the majority of that, although I think Affleck will make a decent Batman too

Good unpopular opinions.
Hail Hydra!

15 Favorite Films: 1) Inglourious Basterds 2) Back to the Future 3) The Empire Strikes Back 4) Pulp Fiction 5) Aliens 6) Halloween 7) Jurassic Park 8) Raiders of the Lost Ark 9) The Good, the Bad and the Ugly 10) 2001: A Space Odyssey 11) Goodfellas 12) Star Wars 13) Jaws 14) Shaun of the Dead 15) Taxi Driver

My Letterboxd
Old 04-17-2014, 01:52 PM   #27732

Apr 2010
Atlanta, GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabrams View Post

Wow, those are some great unpopular opinions I disagree with most of them, but I did enjoy Terminator: Salvation and, although I enjoyed it, I wouldn't put Django in with Tarantino's classics.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies