Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Blow (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Last Starfighter (Blu-ray)
$6.96
The Quiet Man (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
My Big Fat Greek Wedding (Blu-ray)
$6.98
The Spectacular Spider-Man: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Slap Shot (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Beyond Outrage (Blu-ray)
$12.96
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
WCW's Greatest Pay-Per-View Matches, Volume 1 (Blu-ray)
$18.74
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
The Art of the Steal (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
High Plains Drifter (Blu-ray)
$9.96
History of the World: Part I (Blu-ray)
$6.16
Old 02-03-2014, 12:31 PM   #281
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2011
Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristian Idol View Post
Have you entered these into the database yet?
No, I haven't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristian Idol View Post
Mind if I do? (Don't want to create duplicates...)

I don't mind at all. Go for it. Nice of you to ask, though.

Last edited by Akijama; 02-03-2014 at 12:33 PM.
Old 02-03-2014, 02:13 PM   #282
Blu-ray Duke

Dec 2008
Columbiana, OH
Send a message via MSN to KilloWertz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edword View Post
Exactly. Everyone that was holding out for the complete series in a sense were hurting the chances of ever seeing that happen by not getting the individual seasons. They aren't going to bother releasing a complete series if they see that the individual seasons aren't selling well.
But people were worried for good reason. Mill Creek gave no indication they were releasing more seasons after Season 2. If they wanted to help sales, they should have announced Season 3 instead of saying nothing one way or the other. What did they expect?
Last Watched: The Hangover Part III
Last Bought: Despicable Me 2 3D
PSN ID: KilloWertz
"Chuck me" 9/24/07 - 1/27/12

Last edited by KilloWertz; 02-03-2014 at 02:16 PM.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:44 PM   #283

Aug 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by KilloWertz View Post
But people were worried for good reason. Mill Creek gave no indication they were releasing more seasons after Season 2. If they wanted to help sales, they should have announced Season 3 instead of saying nothing one way or the other. What did they expect?
Exaaaactly. I'm always wary about older shows like this being released on DVD/(especially) Blu-ray, because I don't want to buy them and have the series halfway complete. They really should've just done a complete series of That '70s Show and been done with it. Carsey-Werner did all the work, all Mill Creek had to do was distribute it. I'd have gladly spent $100 on a complete Blu-ray set, and then it would've been done.

This same thing is happening with The Muppet Show on DVD. Disney released season 3 a few years ago and hasn't released season 4 and 5 yet (which is odd, considering that the Muppets are now really back in the public eye).
But the thing that makes Woody special, is he'll never give up on you... ever. He'll be there for you, no matter what.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:05 PM   #284
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2009
Scottsdale, AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by KilloWertz View Post
Studios can't have it both ways. They can't basically let you know that there may not be future releases if they don't meet a magic number, which the consumer will never really know or be able to verify, and also tell consumers it's their fault for not buying enough of the seasons, when many people don't want to invest in something that they feel won't ever be released completely. I recall people thinking, best case scenario, that they'd release the pretty good early seasons, but probably not the last few even from the beginning.

Most people that I know what the entire series of pretty much anything they invest in. And, you know what, they need to make some kind of effort to market things better as well.

That's 70's Show was pulled from Netflix a few months ago and it nearly caused a riot. Rarely do they ever cave to consumers about titles, but they had that 70's Show back up within a week or two. If that many people love watching and re-watching the show, there's definitely a market for sales there. People know that eventually the show will end up getting pulled again and might never return. Those fans would be wise, and probably are, to invest in the blu-rays to keep them happy without any worry of what Netflix will do.

Personally, I think the full series should have come out from the get-go, like others have posted already. I don't set the prices, but I recall season one was ridiculously cheap from the start and season 2 wasn't particularly expensive. There are plenty of hardcore fans of the show who would have invested in a complete box set.

I sure as heck know that if season 3 comes out, at some point, with no word from the studio about future plans, I'm not going to want to potentially waste more money than I already have. If another year goes by with no more releases, I could just move on, get rid of the two seasons I own and just deal with the fact I won't likely ever get to own the entire show on blu. Sure seems even more stupid when money has already been spent preparing the shows for a Blu-ray release.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:20 PM   #285
Banned

Jan 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by djgeneral View Post
No one would ever reveal numbers like that to a random person. Also, I'm pretty sure at least a couple hundred people alone bought season 1 from just this site. The sales may have been low, but I don't know if they were THAT low.

Also, season 2 dropped because people were afraid they wouldn't keep releasing the show (stupid) and therefore their worry could have also prevented season 3 and beyond from happening.
i seen the email and yes thoese were the exact numbers JH from Mill Creek quoted and i know they sold more copies than that because of what Home Media magazine reported
Old 03-12-2014, 02:36 AM   #286

Feb 2014
QLD, Australia

Still no news?

Just bought season 1 off eBay and fully intend to get season 2 too. Very disappointing if they go no further.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:32 PM   #287

Oct 2010

Hmm, looks like season 3 and 4 are both getting released in Germany this June!
Old 03-18-2014, 11:49 PM   #288
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermaine_86 View Post
Hmm, looks like season 3 and 4 are both getting released in Germany this June!
[Show spoiler]
[Show spoiler]

Region free?
Old 03-18-2014, 11:50 PM   #289

Mar 2012
Buffalo, NY

It's also showing only the OAR for the first two seasons of the German releases, no word about what it will actually present. Where it would be nice to complete the series, since it's obvious Mill Creek has zero plans to continue distribution here in the US. I'll plan to wait and see what the reviews are before importing, I would hate to go from 1.78 for the first two seasons here in the US to 1.33 for the remaining German ones.

Plus there is no guarantee that the company distributing the series in Germany might pull the same stunt if sales are poor enough, and never finish out the series.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:51 PM   #290

Mar 2012
Buffalo, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar3o View Post
[/SPOILER]

Region free?
Mostly likely these will be locked "B".
Old 03-19-2014, 12:07 AM   #291

Feb 2014
QLD, Australia

As the other guy said, I'll wait to see what the aspect ratio is. Bloody daft way of going about things, Mill Creek.
Old 03-19-2014, 03:31 AM   #292
Banned

Mar 2014

I have season 1 & 2 on the way from tiberiusfilm.de

I am getting pre-release copies for these 2 seasons, the are being sent to me from the official company doing the release (was mailed March 14th, so I should have them by March 24th 2014)

Also in May I will have seasons 3 & 4, in July will have seasons 5 & 6, in September will have seasons 7 & 8.

I will do a technical review of the titles.

Realize these will have German language words for the title and and any on screen added words (such as when they list the time and day for Eric Formans basement)

create the dubbing in the 25fps framerate for TV Ė more often than not forget to correct the audio pitch. They just match the audio to the English 23.98 fps master without correcting the half tone difference. So all the German voices, the music, etc. are a half tone lower than on TV. This of course drives everybody nuts over here. This happens because the major studios master their DVDs and Blu-rays in the US and not in Germany. And the US authoring labs mostly canít hear the difference in a foreign language or maybe donít care that much.

Also I am getting just the discs not the retail packiging but they are going to email me the rear art and I will post it to blu-ray.com when I get it.
Old 03-19-2014, 04:58 AM   #293

Aug 2011

I suspect they're going to be poor.

First of all, only two discs for a whole TV show season = bitrate starvation. I like how they proudly stamp 2 Discs on the front cover. At least they're giving us a nice big warning that they're planning to over-compress the video! Thanks for the heads up guys!

Secondly, I've noticed a lot of German releases have 1080i25 video for some stupid reason. They're probably going to butcher the framerate in order to accomodate peasants who have garbage TVs that can only handle inferior European video refresh rates like 50 Hz or something.

It's probably going to be region locked so ripping to PC will be required and with this news that it might be 4:3 I doubt it will be worth bothering.

Looks like we're stuck with Netflix 'Super HD' copies of That '70s Show for season 3 onwards as the definitive versions.

Last edited by Adrock; 03-19-2014 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Removed Swear
Old 03-19-2014, 10:20 AM   #294

May 2010
Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.jorgens View Post
create the dubbing in the 25fps framerate for TV Ė more often than not forget to correct the audio pitch. They just match the audio to the English 23.98 fps master without correcting the half tone difference. So all the German voices, the music, etc. are a half tone lower than on TV. This of course drives everybody nuts over here. This happens because the major studios master their DVDs and Blu-rays in the US and not in Germany. And the US authoring labs mostly canít hear the difference in a foreign language or maybe donít care that much.
The discs will be 1080i50, so no wrong pitch on the German dub. But I would prefer 1080p24 because now the English audio has the speed up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpiontail60 View Post
First of all, only two discs for a whole TV show season = bitrate starvation. I like how they proudly stamp 2 Discs on the front cover. At least they're giving us a nice big warning that they're planning to over-compress the video! Thanks for the heads up guys!

Secondly, I've noticed a lot of German releases have 1080i25 video for some stupid reason. They're probably going to butcher the framerate in order to accomodate peasants who have garbage TVs that can only handle inferior European video refresh rates like 50 Hz or something.
Ha ha, that's funny. Every TV bought in the last 15-20 years can handle 50 Hz and 60 Hz content. Almost every flatscreen bought in the last 10 years can handle 24p content. Even VCRs could often play NTSC videos. It's the garbage US TVs that can't handle 50Hz content. It's only a standard used in 75% of all the countries in the world.
But since US TVs are made in China like the EU TVs it's probably just some firmware that blocks 50Hz content. I know US Panasonic Blu-ray players can output 50Hz using a different firmware...

Also most European Blu-rays are 24p because movies always run at 24fps, no matter which country. Granted, in this case the Blu-rays are 50Hz. That's because they are using the HDTV masters.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:55 PM   #295
Banned

Mar 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpiontail60 View Post
I suspect they're going to be shit.

It's probably going to be region locked so ripping to PC will be required and with this news that it might be 4:3 I doubt it will be worth bothering.

Looks like we're stuck with Netflix 'Super HD' copies of That '70s Show for season 3 onwards as the definitive versions.
you fail to realize that a movie called Gone With the Wind has just as much content as each of these discs will have !!! so no it will not be bit rate starved.

And if you knew how to read you would go to the studios website, you will see it is widescreen, but you like others comment before you know the facts.

Yes it is Region B, IF you are worried about Region lock you should have invested in multiple region-free / multi-region playable players that are available.

The master used for this title is same HD master Carsey Werner created for HD TV in Germany.

Also I have seen screen grabs from this release and compared them to the Mill Creek ones, these actually look superior to the US ones.

Also the post where you insulted my post about the German audio pitch was a direct quote of an email from the discs producer, so he knows better than you !!!!!!

Last edited by s.jorgens; 03-19-2014 at 03:07 PM.
Old 03-19-2014, 03:09 PM   #296
Banned

Mar 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by d514 View Post
The discs will be 1080i50, so no wrong pitch on the German dub. But I would prefer 1080p24 because now the English audio has the speed up.
read the QUOTE ffrom the discs producer I posted
Old 03-20-2014, 12:11 AM   #297

Feb 2014
QLD, Australia

If they're widescreen and HD, I'll get ťm.
Kind of stupid that we have to get them from Germany, mind.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:19 AM   #298

May 2010
Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.jorgens View Post
read the QUOTE ffrom the discs producer I posted
The information that the discs are 1080i50 comes from the disc producer.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:21 PM   #299
Banned

Mar 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by d514 View Post
The information that the discs are 1080i50 comes from the disc producer.
yes and the American audio will be perfect, no pal speedup because the master for the release was created here and the German dio audio will be off.

My discs will be in any day directly from the company releasing it, as they asked me to review every release of the series on blu-ray
Old 03-20-2014, 07:22 PM   #300
Special Member

Feb 2009

I'm not buying these German imports. Two disc sets, 1080i50 video, german text on the opening and on-screen text, etc.

Mill Creek needs to put out the rest of the series on Blu-ray. I will continue to wait and hope for them to release more as opposed to importing it.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America