Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Strain: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Kingdom of Heaven (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Banshee: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$13.99
Jurassic World 3D Limited Edition Gift Set (Blu-ray)
$79.96
Mission: Impossible Quadrilogy (Blu-ray)
$21.98
Cowboy Bebop: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Rick and Morty: Season One (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Once Upon a Time: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$48.35
Home (Blu-ray)
$19.99
It Follows (Blu-ray)
$14.84
Earthflight: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Oculus (Blu-ray)
$7.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 06-14-2015, 07:50 PM   #721
Expert Member

Mar 2013
Boulevard of Broken Dreams

The color values of REAR WINDOW on BD, while not perfect, are a major improvement over all previous home video transfers.
Thanks given by:
MikeyHitchFan (06-30-2015)
Old 06-14-2015, 10:39 PM   #722
Special Member

Mar 2011
Los Angeles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Tomorrow View Post
Vertigo looks amazing. It was shot on VistaVision which has more resolution than conventional 35 mm film. The Trouble With Harry was also VistaVision and that one is the most breathtaking looking transfer.

Frenzy, Family Plot, The Man Who Knew Too Much (remake) and Marnie are problematic. Not sure about Topaz, haven't watched the Blu-ray, but most of the rest are very good to great.
I agree with this, but have to say as someone who is pretty sensitive to transfer quality and has a state of the art home theater, I had less trouble with THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH and FAMILY PLOT than the rest of the world did. Of course, you have to take into account that even though I might be sensitive to issues I often try to not let them distract me too much from enjoying the film, if you can accept that contradiction.

But, honestly, the way some critics declared the world was ending with the transfers of both those titles in particular, I thought it was overkill. They will never be your go-to reference quality discs to show off your system, but the presentations are adequate and both have their moments of greatness. I've seen MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH several times in 35mm since the re-release in the early 80's and those prints were awful. I find the Blu to be a step up from that. As for FAMILY PLOT, I saw it first run in a theater a few times in 1976 and, sorry to say, it never looked all that great, having the sad refrain of a Universal TV movie from the 70's. The Blu has glaring mistakes made in the transfer process, but there are also some excellent aspects to it. I wouldn't trash either one and summarily dismiss them the way most critics did. I'll be happy to upgrade if they ever revisit them, but for now, I had a great time watching both.
Thanks given by:
Old 06-26-2015, 04:16 PM   #723
Power Member

Sep 2013
Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Jackson View Post
Having not gone through every page of this thread, is there any sort of general consensus about which Hitchcock film has the best blu-ray transfer?

...almost picked up Vertigo on sale at Barnes&Noble the other day.

...thinking about getting the Psycho steelbook.
Foreign Correspondent, The Trouble With Harry, Shadow of a Doubt, and Saboteur all have 5 star transfers, IMO.
Thanks given by:
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America