COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Dexter: The Eighth Season (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Poirot: The Complete Cases Collection (Blu-ray)
$198.49
Orange Is the New Black: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$18.49
Draft Day (Blu-ray)
$17.99
X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Ray Donovan: Season One (Blu-ray)
$24.49
Sleepaway Camp (Blu-ray)
$15.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Transformers Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$17.24
Steven Spielberg Director's Collection (Blu-ray)
$91.99
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One - Avengers Assembled (Blu-ray)
$119.99
Transformers: Dark of the Moon 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.05
The Wind Will Carry Us (Blu-ray)
$19.49
Titanic 3D (Blu-ray)
$18.49
The Slumber Party Massacre (Blu-ray)
$13.99
Afflicted (Blu-ray)
$12.49
D-Day Remembered (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Queen Margot (Blu-ray)
$23.49
Old Today, 01:11 PM   #601

Jul 2011
Send a message via AIM to Bob Schlapowitz Send a message via Yahoo to Bob Schlapowitz

Does this carry over all of the extras from the Ultimate Edition DVD?
Old Today, 01:57 PM   #602
Blu-ray Prince

May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A. DigiBooks-------------------------->87 SteelBooks™--------->118 UV-------->247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Schlapowitz View Post
Does this carry over all of the extras from the Ultimate Edition DVD?
Yes.
Old Today, 03:04 PM   #603

Jul 2011
Send a message via AIM to Bob Schlapowitz Send a message via Yahoo to Bob Schlapowitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Goofnut View Post
Yes.
Outstanding. Thank you, sir.
Old Today, 03:47 PM   #604

Apr 2011
NY

We'll never see the actual cut of LEGEND that was screened for the studio with the Goldsmith score. This is completely due to Ridley.
At the time I knew a person very high up in publicity for Universal. He spoke to me the day after seeing that screening. He admitted that version would never be seen again. He went on to say how he had loved the film, but those invited were a different story. They were bored right off and started lighting up joints, laughing and making rude comments. Ridley was there and extremely insecure. He had a melt down and didn't defend his film so the studio took over and told him it needed to be evaluated prior to release. Because Ridley didn't defend the film and the vision he had the studio decided to cut the film and rescore it with a more modern tone. A different version, still cut would be released internationally still with the Goldsmith score.
After it was released on home video I reviewed it for Laserdisc and then discussed it with my friend who had seen the original. He went on stating how beautiful the original Goldsmith score was (which it is) and that the film was much longer. After I had gotten my hands on a Japanese Laserdisc which was the international version I discussed it with my friend and told him how although it had Goldsmith's score a very short cue was actually from PSYCHO II (also Goldsmith). My friend said the international version was really a badly put together version and since Universal had the rights to Psycho II, and score they had it at their disposal to use since the cuts they made left music that didn't fit any longer and they didn't want to waste any more money in the editing room.
A lot of money went into the film and it was already felt it was a bomb, especially here in the states.
He then explained how different it was from what he saw. He told me it started in "our world" then went into the fantasy one, then returned back to ours - those were scenes that would never been shown again.
He went on to say it was a beautiful film that was completely destroyed by the studio, fueled by those who never should have been at the screening, and not defended by Ridley who was, at the time still very unsure of himself and didn't have the power to get what he wanted. Even with the spectacular success of ALIEN he was still new to motion pictures and had to be careful until he had more under his belt to pull weight.
It's too bad I was really looking forward to truly restored edition but I guess my friend was right, we probably not see one ever.
When listening to the Goldsmith score one can tell there is still music not in the film giving a hint to the edits.
Still, there are incredible visual moments equaled with a great score.
Thanks given by:
Old Today, 04:11 PM   #605
Special Member

Apr 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditcin View Post
At the time I knew a person very high up in publicity for Universal. He spoke to me the day after seeing that screening. He admitted that version would never be seen again. He went on to say how he had loved the film, but those invited were a different story. They were bored right off and started lighting up joints, laughing and making rude comments. Ridley was there and extremely insecure. He had a melt down and didn't defend his film so the studio took over and told him it needed to be evaluated prior to release.
Scott relays this very anecdote in the documentary.

Quote:
We'll never see the actual cut of LEGEND that was screened for the studio with the Goldsmith score.

It's too bad I was really looking forward to truly restored edition but I guess my friend was right, we probably not see one ever.
The 113-min. "Directors Cut" version IS the version that was screened for that audience in the U.S. by all accounts -- and it's also the version Scott felt worked the best of all the cuts he made of the film. There was a longer version than that, and Goldsmith had scored it (the cues on the soundtrack you're referring to -- one of which is presented in full with surviving workprint footage on the BD), but those edits had been made well out in advance of the movie screening in the U.S.

Frankly I think his 113-min cut is understandably his preferred cut. Though I think it's a much better film than the U.S. theatrical release, the pacing is a bit slow, and I can't see how another 10 or 20 minutes wouldn't have made it worse.

Quote:
He then explained how different it was from what he saw. He told me it started in "our world" then went into the fantasy one, then returned back to ours - those were scenes that would never been shown again.
There's never been anything written about "modern day scenes" produced for this film...between the LEGEND FAQ, all the scripts available, documentaries and the like, that's something that's never been mentioned. Nor would it make any sense given the story in the film. Are you sure your friend wasn't one of the ones lighting up during the film? lol (I kid I kid).

Last edited by DMRI2006; Today at 04:23 PM.
Old Today, 04:22 PM   #606
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
Mpls, MN

I just wish David Bennets voice was back in the film. I know Universal hated it but I think it only adds to the craziness of the film.
Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! These are becoming endangered and should be kept intact. They are part of film history.

Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60 Marantz SR7007
MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
Oppo BDP-103 Oppo BDP-103 Region Free
Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Old Today, 04:25 PM   #607

Oct 2013
Brooklyn NY

Yeah. I've read the original scripts to this film. The first one which was huge in scale and scope where Jack was a green jungle creature and Lily transformed into a monster and actually died. I read the 2nd script that was scaled down in storyand characters where Lily still transforms into a monster but turns back to normal at the end, along with human Jack's skin turning green (again, a scaled down version of the character ideas from the 1st script). And of course the shooting script that has most of the scenes that have since been recovered and restored.

There was never a single instance of real world vs. fantasy world. Whoever thinks that must be thinking of Labyrinth or some other 80's fantasy movie that did that.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America