COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Dexter: The Eighth Season (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Poirot: The Complete Cases Collection (Blu-ray)
$198.49
Orange Is the New Black: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$18.49
Draft Day (Blu-ray)
$17.99
X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Ray Donovan: Season One (Blu-ray)
$24.49
Sleepaway Camp (Blu-ray)
$15.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Transformers Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$17.24
Steven Spielberg Director's Collection (Blu-ray)
$91.99
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One - Avengers Assembled (Blu-ray)
$119.99
Transformers: Dark of the Moon 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.05
The Wind Will Carry Us (Blu-ray)
$19.49
Titanic 3D (Blu-ray)
$18.49
The Slumber Party Massacre (Blu-ray)
$13.99
Afflicted (Blu-ray)
$12.49
D-Day Remembered (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Queen Margot (Blu-ray)
$23.49

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 02-23-2013, 03:17 AM   #21
Power Member

Aug 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist View Post
Higher bit rates do not equate better quality. And especially in this case, the numbers mean absolutely nothing.
Totally agree. I have MP4s that look fantastic at a fraction of the bitrate of blurays.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:53 AM   #22
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2010
Woodridge, IL

Amazon lowest price drop...$14.82
Fun Fact: I am the same height ( 5'1'') as Carrie Fisher, Jean Harlow, Holly Hunter, Christina Ricci, Emilie De Ravin, Anna Kendrick, Kristen Bell...yes great things do come in small packages :)

TV: Panasonic ST60 60"
Receiver: Sony STRDH830
Speakers: Klipsch HDT1000
Old Today, 02:02 AM   #23
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2012
Georgia

I just finished watching Mario Bava's Black Sunday, my introduction to the director's work, for the first time, by way of this Kino Blu-ray.

I love everything about this movie, and I cannot believe that I have not already seen it until now. Black Sunday has its share of creepy images that must have been quite horrifying back in 1960, but it's also an uncannily sexy film. Barbara Steele is one of the most strikingly beautiful actresses in cinema history, and she shines throughout this movie in her double roles. She was at her mesmerizing best in this film, which will sit well on my shelf next Pit and the Pendulum, 8, and Piranha.

I am fond of overusing the hyperbole that each and every still frame of a movie would make a great poster, but Black Sunday is one such example that justifies the praise. The image quality on this Kino Blu-ray is outstanding to my eyes, and I'm glad that I waited to see this film on Blu-ray, because it deserves being seen in a format conducive to strong black levels. The audio quality is imperfect, but I'll defer to the site review, which states that it's a good restoration of a dubbed track.

I'll have to see more Bava films in the future, although I do not know where to start. The previews on this Blu-ray are all pretty trippy, but Baron Blood looks like a solid flick.
Old Today, 02:17 AM   #24

Oct 2012
WI, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Owl View Post
I just finished watching Mario Bava's Black Sunday, my introduction to the director's work, for the first time, by way of this Kino Blu-ray.

I love everything about this movie, and I cannot believe that I have not already seen it until now. Black Sunday has its share of creepy images that must have been quite horrifying back in 1960, but it's also an uncannily sexy film. Barbara Steele is one of the most strikingly beautiful actresses in cinema history, and she shines throughout this movie in her double roles. She was at her mesmerizing best in this film, which will sit well on my shelf next Pit and the Pendulum, 8, and Piranha.

I am fond of overusing the hyperbole that each and every still frame of a movie would make a great poster, but Black Sunday is one such example that justifies the praise. The image quality on this Kino Blu-ray is outstanding to my eyes, and I'm glad that I waited to see this film on Blu-ray, because it deserves being seen in a format conducive to strong black levels. The audio quality is imperfect, but I'll defer to the site review, which states that it's a good restoration of a dubbed track.

I'll have to see more Bava films in the future, although I do not know where to start. The previews on this Blu-ray are all pretty trippy, but Baron Blood looks like a solid flick.
Baron Blood is kinda b-list Bava. I'd highly recommend Black Sabbath. Bay of Blood is good, but very gory (it's a prototype for Friday the 13th et al, but is much more stylish. Kill Baby Kill is very good and in the vein of Black Sunday/Black Sabbath, but unfortunately not out on bluray yet. Lisa and the Devil is pretty cool and very surreal/stylish, but not really a classic. I'm looking forward to Kino's Planet of the Vampires, I haven't seen that movie yet but have heard good things.
Thanks given by:
The Great Owl (Today)
Old Today, 04:38 AM   #25
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2012
WI

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Owl View Post

Definitely check out Black Sabbath; It's my favorite Bava film!

If you like atmospheric, creepy, and slowly-escalating horror like Black Sunday, then Black Sabbath is for you.
My Top 20 Films of all time!
1. Taxi Driver 2. Eyes Wide Shut 3. Jurassic Park 4. Boogie Nights 5. Boyhood 6. Apocalypse Now 7. Psycho (1960) 8. There Will Be Blood 9. The Godfather Part II 10. The Godfather 11. Zodiac 12. Blade Runner 13. Thief 14. Halloween (1978) 15. It's Such A Beautiful Day 16. Drive 17. Gremlins 18. The Tree of Life 19. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974) 20. Pulp Fiction
Thanks given by:
The Great Owl (Today)
Old Today, 07:32 PM   #26

Mar 2013

BLACK SABBATH is very good, particularly its episode "A Drop of Water."
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America