COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Dark Knight Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$38.99
Man of Steel Limited Collector's Edition (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Man of Steel Exclusive Action Figure Gift Set (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Nymphomaniac: Volumes I and II (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns (Blu-ray)
$11.99
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Marvel Bundle (Blu-ray)
$64.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$31.99
Motto to Love-Ru (Blu-ray)
$41.72
Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome (Blu-ray)
$5.99
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$24.99
3 Days to Kill (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Breaking Bad: The Final Season (Blu-ray)
$20.98
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Legend of Korra - Book Two: Spirits (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Game of Thrones: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Divergent (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Battleship (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Rio 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Old 07-06-2013, 04:00 AM   #41
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2009

Old 07-06-2013, 04:32 AM   #42
Blu-ray Champion

May 2010
NYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyboy81 View Post
Oh well, the fighting shots do look good though. You can actually see the action and not some stupid close up shakey cam stuff.
for fights always go with asian flicks cause they have martial artists playing actors, western films is the other way around and has actors playing tough guys

that's why the camera doesn't even move in fight scenes or they cut a lot slower

here we have the shakey cam and fast editing to make it seem like they're actually that skilled in fighting sure they had a couple months training but becoming an expert takes years

take a look at this for example, their moves are so fast but you still know exactly what's going on

Last edited by Tony208; 07-06-2013 at 04:35 AM.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:57 AM   #43
Special Member

Jan 2010

I've just realized main actor of this movie is one of the guys who fight Keanu Reeves in The Matrix Reloaded

Old 07-08-2013, 03:08 AM   #44
Blu-ray Champion

May 2010
NYC

lol he's finally going to get his revenge for getting chopped in half
Old 07-15-2013, 02:16 AM   #45
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2009

I just finished watching Man Of Tai Chi. It was an excellent way to spend 96 minutes (sans credits). What I really enjoyed is that it was purely a martial arts flick rather than an action flick. Yes, the fights were great but there was meaning and purpose behind the fights. There is a certain spiritual element (that is integral to two key action sequences) that might not sit well with Western audiences but makes perfect sense if you get the intent of the story and have an affinity for the philosophy behind martial arts.

There are a few negatives. There's a weird edit early in the film as Tiger Chen's daily routine is established which makes the transition a bit awkward, and I'm not overly fond of the prologue. I also felt that the film should not have glossed over Tiger Chen's deteriorating values in a quick little montage. That deserved to be witnessed in full.

Also, as a fan of both Karen Mok and Simon Yam (the latter is merely an over-glorified cameo), I'm sad to say the film would have been improved if their distracting and pointless subplot had been excised from the movie entirely. Instead the film should have focused on the looming redevelopment of the temple since that would help the conclusion of said storyline not feel rushed and tacked on.

Overall, it's a solid directorial debut for Keanu Reeves and I look forward to see what he directs next.
Old 07-15-2013, 02:30 AM   #46
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2012
OH

96 mnis? seems pretty short.
Wonder if this is gnna get a theatrical release in the US or if its gonna be direct to VOD and blu/dvd
Buy/Sale/Trade
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...ostcount=13688
New UV codes for sale or trade :Have:Walking WIth Dinosaurs UV/Anchorman 2/ wolf of wall street / Nebraska/ Mandela/ Homefront UV/ Oldboy SD UV from DVD/ Gravity/Riddick/DIANA (vudu)/Machete 2/
Want:BadAss 2 UV/ Great Expectations UV/ Far and away uv
Old 07-15-2013, 02:39 AM   #47
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_sc77 View Post
96 mnis? seems pretty short.
Wonder if this is gnna get a theatrical release in the US or if its gonna be direct to VOD and blu/dvd
It is pretty short but not in a negative sort of way. Honestly, the film could have likely had the same runtime yet been improved had all the scenes relating to Karen Mok's story been replaced with more footage of Tiger Chen's transition and dark decent, along with more of the redevelopment deal for the land where the Tai Chi temple resides.

I know you have a 2+ hour long runtime fetish but this isn't a movie that warrants such length. The story is pretty simple and straightforward yet quite effective.
Old 08-11-2013, 07:18 PM   #48
Blu-ray Baron

Feb 2010
Rockford, IL

Just finished watching this. It's a pretty good flick. The fights are impressively staged and I thought Keanu did a good job in his first directorial effort.

I don't know if this is the case, but I get the feeling that perhaps Keanu only took an acting role in order to get financing for the film - like he wanted to make this martial arts flick, but financers were hesitant to pay for it with no names to market it with, so he agreed to be in it as well. He does a fine job, but he does feel out of place here.

Still, I don't think this was ever meant to be a big wide release film anyway. The majority of the film's dialogue is in Chinese.
I recommend checking it out if you like martial arts movies, and I look forward to seeing what Keanu does in the future. Maybe, like Ben Affleck, Mel Gibson, George Clooney, etc, he'll find success in directing as well as acting.
The Official Movie Money/Movie Cash/Free Ticket Thread - first post always updated with all current promotions!

Don't use your UV/digital copy codes? Send them my way! I'll give them a good home!
:)

Last edited by cinemaphile; 08-16-2013 at 09:18 AM.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:40 AM   #49

Feb 2010
Fantasia

Great fight scenes and the story ain't too bad. Good effort from first-time director Reeves. The abysmal trailer is misleading though so never judge a movie by its trailer( just like Dredd)
Old 08-16-2013, 09:03 AM   #50
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2009

Is this getting a wide release? When?
Old 08-23-2013, 12:04 AM   #51
Blu-ray Champion

May 2010
NYC

I'd say it's comparable to RZA's Man with the Iron Fists although they don't really have a lot in common other than they're martial arts flicks

There's Tai Chi of course but there's also a good amount of MMA in here

Reeves did ok for a directoral debut but there were some parts where the inexperience shows

like the part where his character
[Show spoiler] flees Hong Kong and swims to mainland China, way to kill the badass cred for that character lol
Old 09-26-2013, 04:42 PM   #52
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2008
Denmark

Review up.

Last summer I was traveling around Nepal and India. I was going on a pretty long bus ride between two towns in Nepal and sat next to a young Chinese tourist. He spoke very little English but was very talkative and used his phone as a translator. After a couple of hours he explained that he worked on a movie with Keanu Reeves (took me forever to decipher the name - you should hear it with a heavy Chinese accent ) as an assistant director.. I thought we misunderstood each other or that he was in fact working on a small movie in China. I just didn't really believe that he was actually working with Keanu Reeves. Well - all the facts he gave me about the movie were correct so now I'm sure I actually DID understand him

Really nice guy - didn't have Facebook though and I lost his e-mail when my phone was stolen..
"Now everybody's equal, just don't measure it!"
Old 10-24-2013, 09:45 PM   #53
Special Member

Dec 2009
Maryland
Arrow

I watched it on demand this afternoon. My mini-review:

An American/Chinese co-production, Keanu Reeves' directorial debut is a philosophical action film also intended as a star vehicle for martial artist and stuntman Tiger Chen, whom Reeves met and befriended during the production of the Matrix trilogy. Chen portrays a gifted student of tai chi, the methodical and rhythmic martial art aligned more with exercise and meditation than combat. Much to the displeasure of his aging master, the protagonist is eager to prove the power of tai chi, a desire which turns dangerous when financial desperation leads him to join an underground fight club led by a secretive and wealthy figure, played by Reeves himself, perhaps to render the film more accessible to American and European audiences. For around an hour, this is a satisfying, even great martial-arts film. The story of a naive youth entering a dangerous environment he does not understand may not be original, but it generates a certain fundamental, muscular B-movie intrigue, and behind the camera, Reeves proves a more than proficient director of action. The frequent fight sequences, which are the reason most will see this film, are shot and cut with crystal clarity without sacrificing tension and a sense of motion. The fights may not be beautiful, but they are direct and exciting in the vein of Enter the Dragon.

When the film is on point, its flaws, including superfluous scenes focused on a female detective investigating Reeves' character and his sinister organization, are not hard to forgive. Alas, the film and its director become too ambitious or, to be more blunt, too pretentious, and the enterprise flags. The third act sags under the weight of heavy-handed sermonizing explaining the obvious and the left-field introduction of mystical elements which may very well resonate with Chinese moviegoers, but left me scratching my head. Still, though, there is much to admire here, and I hope Reeves, for whom this obviously a project motivated by cultural fascination and earnestly nerdy Shaw-Brothers adoration, steps behind the camera again. It also leaves last year's nearly unendurable The Man with the Iron Fists in the dust with ease.

*** out of ***** or B-
top five films of 2014 (so far)

1. Nymphomaniac: Volumes I and II
2. Locke
3. The Grand Budapest Hotel
4. Maidentrip
5. The Rover
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies