Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
20 hrs ago
Edge of Tomorrow 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
20 hrs ago
Alien Anthology and Prometheus (Blu-ray)
$19.98

Godzilla 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
16 hrs ago
Edge of Tomorrow (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Blu-ray)
$14.99
19 hrs ago
Halloween: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$79.99

The Wizard of Oz 3D (Blu-ray)
$46.70
7 hrs ago
Jersey Boys (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Neighbors (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Grimm: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$24.99
5 hrs ago
Free Birds (Blu-ray)
$4.99
5 hrs ago
Arrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 12-04-2014, 12:35 AM   #7721

Jun 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyHitter View Post
Agreed, I think with some color and gamma tweaks it could have looked outstanding in 2D.

You might be able to get your desired results with a few tweaks in your TV or Blu-rayer settings... Desaturate a tad, tweak the gamma...
Old 12-04-2014, 11:46 AM   #7722

Jun 2013

Just checked out the 3D blu, and I was really impressed--overall--with how they managed to take a twenty-plus year old film and give it a very current clarity and dimensionality. Plenty immersive. On the grain issue, I doubt they could have achieved the windowing effect of it seeming like one could reach through the screen and into the space of the movie with too much of it. Jurassic 3D almost has the clean image of digital--an asset in 3D--while still offering the texture of film. Viewed in 3D on a passive system--where there's some resolution loss, anyway--I didn't feel any lack of detail from all the DNR. Weird to experience the film this way; more enveloping, vivid in spite of all the time that's passed. I'd be up for seeing what an outfit like Stereo D could do with other older films...but with 3D on a bit of a wane, I doubt there's interest in doing any more expensive, quality conversions of the back catalog. The paint work on this puts "Piranha 3D" to shame; I didn't see any anomalies around borders or edges; it's seamless.

Those who think the film's a bit dark in 3D might try setting their TV's gamma, if they can, at 1.9 instead of 2.2; I experimented a bit, and with my setup and calibration it offered a slightly juiced image that wasn't blown out. I was able to drop the brightness down...and still had a punchier picture overall, especially in the softer, low light scenes that tended toward the faint. No clue on what this would do in 2D, but I'll check it out.

Last edited by AllOuttaBubbleGum; 12-04-2014 at 10:53 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 12-04-2014, 03:57 PM   #7723
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllOuttaBubbleGum View Post
You might be able to get your desired results with a few tweaks in your TV or Blu-rayer settings... Desaturate a tad, tweak the gamma...
I just prefer the overall look of the 2D version if watching this movie in 2D. The DNR is quite bad on the 3D watching it in 2D, but in 3D doesn't really interfere as much.
JVC DLA-RS4810 front projector (ISF pro-cal'd)
Stewart StudioTek 100, CinemaScope 108" wide screen
Samsung 51" F5300B plasma (ISF pro-cal'd)
Oppo BDP-983 & BDP-103D Blu-ray player
Denon AVR-X3000 (Audyssey pro-cal'd)
Definitive Technology Pro Monitor 1000 (fronts)
Definitive Technology Pro Monitor 800 (surrounds x 4)
HSU VTF-15H sub
Old 12-05-2014, 12:02 AM   #7724
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2007
Haddonfield, IL

Received the UK trilogy today...watching Lost World. Transfer looks great!
Sh*t Earl...it's Ted Holister.

Last edited by Blu Myers; 12-05-2014 at 12:06 AM.
Thanks given by:
ghornett (12-07-2014)
Old 12-05-2014, 12:35 AM   #7725

Apr 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu Myers View Post
I love the design of the packaging for the UK set. I've got the regular set from 2011. I think think that the transfers for all three films are great as well.
Thanks given by:
Blu Myers (12-05-2014)
Old 12-06-2014, 01:56 AM   #7726
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

I love the 3D version of JP. It's a fantastic conversion, full of strong depth and excellent layering. The remastered image quality itself is a mixed bag as folks have said; it looks shite in 2D, with the higher gamma making it look impenetrably dark at times, the skin tones have a perma-tanned orangey quality and the DNR sucks the life out of the image. BUUUUUTTTT....put it into 3D and those drawbacks become virtues; there seems to be more depth in the shadows and more nuance in the colour, and what was smoothed-over softness now looks sharper and livelier.
Thanks given by:
Esteban BD (12-07-2014)
Old 12-07-2014, 12:57 AM   #7727

Jun 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
...BUUUUUTTTT....put it into 3D and those drawbacks become virtues; there seems to be more depth in the shadows and more nuance in the colour, and what was smoothed-over softness now looks sharper and livelier.

Probably why they locked the disc and elected not to include a "view in 2D" option; none of the changes were intended to be viewed/evaluated in 2D. I understand the grumbles about being denied a definitive 2D transfer with this release, but I suppose they were all about showcasing the 3D this time...and holding off for another release somewhere down the road...
Old 12-08-2014, 08:26 PM   #7728
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2011

I ended up selling my box set up at F.y.e Saturday. The only movie I really liked was the first movie the other two I didn't really care for at all. So I plan to just pick this Jurassic Park and the Jurassic World when it comes out on Blu-ray since it is more a less a "sequel" to the first movie.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:08 PM   #7729
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2009
Bristol, England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu Myers View Post
Damn how many times are they going to re-release the same discs? I have the three discs in single case with slipcover set, didn't know they had done yet another with individual artwork.
Old 12-13-2014, 02:13 AM   #7730
Expert Member

May 2009

I know this is unlikely to ever happen but if they re-released the first Jurassic Park on Blu-Ray with the new color timing before Jurassic World releases (minus the noise reduction), I'd buy this re-release in a heartbeat. Again, highly doubt it but would love to be proven wrong.
All PlayStation Users, please read, share and sign (VOTE UP) this issue (Click).
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America