Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Beguiled (Blu-ray)
$6.49
Planet of the Apes Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$31.99
E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00
Transformers: The Last Knight 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
DC's Legends of Tomorrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Planet of the Apes Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Westworld: Season One (Blu-ray)
$27.99
Star Trek Enterprise: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$45.99
Kiki's Delivery Service (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Deadpool 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00
Spirited Away (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Fast & Furious: 8-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$59.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > LCD TVs

Old 09-07-2007, 02:17 AM   #1
Banned

Jun 2007
canada
Default Are LG LCD tvs any good?

I seen a 40 or 42" LCD 1080p set at futureshop tonight playing some hi-def baseball. It looked real nice. Whats the word on the street when it comes to LG's LCD tvs? Are they any good. Also what is generally considered to be the best brand(s) in LCDs. I'm looking to buy a new set soon hopefully. Probably in the 40" range.
Old 09-07-2007, 03:32 AM   #2
Special Member

May 2007
Fort Myers, FL
Send a message via AIM to Footloose301 Send a message via Yahoo to Footloose301

Not good. From what I've read on here theres a lot of problems with either stuck pixels or banding in the display. One guy on here claims to have returned and exchanged them like 4 different times and had the same problem on each one and then Best Buy or Circuit City wouldn't deal with him anymore so they sent him to LG which pretty much did nothing.

Some people could have positive experiences though.
HOME THEATER IN THE MAKING
Sony XBR75X900E
Denon AVR-X6400H
Panamax M5400-PM
SVS PB16 Ultra and AV123 MFW-15
Klipsch R-28F
Polk Audio T90e and CS10
Xbox One X
Old 09-07-2007, 03:49 AM   #3

Dec 2006
This Blu Planet

I never had a problem with mine. I have a 23" with built-in DVD I use it as my MAC monitor & living room TV. My major complaint is menus suck!
Display: Panasonic TH-50PX25
Blu-ray: Pioneer BDP-120
Receiver: Pioneer Elite VSX-94TXH
Speakers: Klipsch Lt Ctr Rt surrounds & rear surrounds R-5650-C , Sub RSW-10
Gaming: SONY PS3 80 gig

My movies
Old 09-07-2007, 03:49 AM   #4

Aug 2007

No their not. Not even counting their reliability issues their picture quality is on par with a vizio or sylvania in most cases traight outta the box. Very washed out with blue/whites. No good darks, no good brights either.

Calibrated i hear their only slightly better
PS3 - 60gig
24 blu-ray movies, 4 games.
sony 40 KDL40s2000
Onkyo HT-SR800
All that.. and no bed frame.. just a mattress. : (
Old 09-07-2007, 03:55 AM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2007
A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse.

Remember one of LG's brands was Goldstar...and you know how good of quality that was.
Old 09-07-2007, 04:08 AM   #6
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod View Post
Remember one of LG's brands was Goldstar...and you know how good of quality that was.
Oh boy..thanks..nuff said.
PS3 - Jack of all trades, master of most.

I will not lower my standards to raise yours.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:46 AM   #7
Special Member

May 2007
Fort Myers, FL

Personally I think theres even a night and day difference between LG and Vizio. I think Vizio would be your best bet if you're trying to stay on a budget.
Sony XBR75X900E
Denon AVR-X6400H
Panamax M5400-PM
Klipsch R-28F
Polk Audio T90e and CS10
Xbox One X
Old 09-07-2007, 05:48 AM   #8

Sep 2007
PA
Send a message via AIM to Berzerk Send a message via MSN to Berzerk Send a message via Yahoo to Berzerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footloose301 View Post
Personally I think theres even a night and day difference between LG and Vizio. I think Vizio would be your best bet if you're trying to stay on a budget.
Yup, well said. I initially wanted an LG, but after seeing a LG, Vizio and Sony side-by-side, it was obvious the LG was the lesser of the 3. I wound up with the Sony. Get the Vizio for a good picture & price.
HD DVD: The look & sound of... "Ehh, that'll work"
TV- Sony Bravia 40" 1080p LCD- KDL40v3000
Blu-Ray Player- 60g PS3
Blu-Ray Collection- 2 (I'm a n00b...# will climb on the 18th!):cool:

Xbox 360- Games only: no HD DVDs.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:55 AM   #9
Expert Member

Mar 2007
Dallas, Texas
Send a message via AIM to sardaukar1977

Hmm, despite some of the bad reviews of LG, I haven't had any problems with mine, (knock on wood) the picture looks great. And I did compare it to other brands like Sony, and Panasonic. But just in case it does start to screw up, I got the 4 year extended warranty on it.
"REVENGE IS A DISH BEST SERVED COLD. IT IS VERY COLD IN SPACE..."

COLLECTION PHOTO
http://s41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...t=100_3425.jpg
Old 09-07-2007, 06:06 AM   #10

Aug 2007
Default Heres A Story For You

Quote:
Originally Posted by bone crusher View Post
I seen a 40 or 42" LCD 1080p set at futureshop tonight playing some hi-def baseball. It looked real nice. Whats the word on the street when it comes to LG's LCD tvs? Are they any good. Also what is generally considered to be the best brand(s) in LCDs. I'm looking to buy a new set soon hopefully. Probably in the 40" range.
The day I bought my LCD HDTV. About a year ago I went onto Best Buy to buy a LG LCD tv with Cash in hand and I had read reviews and all the online info I could find. But to my surprise there was a LCD screen on the right side of the LG Both LCD were 37" screens and the model on the right had the better picture in fact it had a far better picture I looked down at the TV on the right to see who made it. I COULD NOT BELIEVE MY EYES THIS LCD THAT BLEW MY MIND AWAY WAS CALLED "WESTINGHOUSE" YEAH THATS RIGHT THE SAME COMPANY THAT MAKES KITCHEN APPLIANCES IT BLEW ME AWAY. AFTER ABOUT 3+ MONTHS OF SEARCHING FOR THE LCD FOR ME I CHOSE THE LG BUT AFTER I SAW THE WESTINGHOUSE PICTURE QUALITY I BOUGHT A WESTINGHOUSE LCD ALSO TO ADD TO THIS AMAZING PICTURE WAS THE FACT THAT ITS NATIVE RESOLUTION WAS 1920X1080 YEP THATS RIGHT IT WAS 1080P. SOLD!!!! This is just to say to you and all buyers for that fact when buying a TV of any type all the specs and all the reviews in the world cant provide what you see when you look at 2 models side by side. Reviews and specs make a difference but in the end the only way to buy a TV is by looking at it in person side by side with another brand and deciding what picture you like the best. Make sure to check all the settings on the TV and then set all models you are looking at , at the same or very similar settings for brightness,contrast, color temp, and so on. That is the only way to buy a TV. I have had this Westinghouse LCD for almost a year and its still as good as the day it was bought. I am now feeing all video signals into it @1080P VIA HDMI from the ONKYO TX-SR875 and the picture is beautiful. So moral of the story dont judge a TV from what others say only judge it once you see it in person and see if you like the actual picture that it shows regardless of the name on the unit or the features that it offers. I hope this helps you in your decision on buying and LCD.
Old 09-07-2007, 03:16 PM   #11
Special Member

May 2007
Fort Myers, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLSQUAD2G View Post
The day I bought my LCD HDTV. About a year ago I went onto Best Buy to buy a LG LCD tv with Cash in hand and I had read reviews and all the online info I could find. But to my surprise there was a LCD screen on the right side of the LG Both LCD were 37" screens and the model on the right had the better picture in fact it had a far better picture I looked down at the TV on the right to see who made it. I COULD NOT BELIEVE MY EYES THIS LCD THAT BLEW MY MIND AWAY WAS CALLED "WESTINGHOUSE" YEAH THATS RIGHT THE SAME COMPANY THAT MAKES KITCHEN APPLIANCES IT BLEW ME AWAY. AFTER ABOUT 3+ MONTHS OF SEARCHING FOR THE LCD FOR ME I CHOSE THE LG BUT AFTER I SAW THE WESTINGHOUSE PICTURE QUALITY I BOUGHT A WESTINGHOUSE LCD ALSO TO ADD TO THIS AMAZING PICTURE WAS THE FACT THAT ITS NATIVE RESOLUTION WAS 1920X1080 YEP THATS RIGHT IT WAS 1080P. SOLD!!!! This is just to say to you and all buyers for that fact when buying a TV of any type all the specs and all the reviews in the world cant provide what you see when you look at 2 models side by side. Reviews and specs make a difference but in the end the only way to buy a TV is by looking at it in person side by side with another brand and deciding what picture you like the best. Make sure to check all the settings on the TV and then set all models you are looking at , at the same or very similar settings for brightness,contrast, color temp, and so on. That is the only way to buy a TV. I have had this Westinghouse LCD for almost a year and its still as good as the day it was bought. I am now feeing all video signals into it @1080P VIA HDMI from the ONKYO TX-SR875 and the picture is beautiful. So moral of the story dont judge a TV from what others say only judge it once you see it in person and see if you like the actual picture that it shows regardless of the name on the unit or the features that it offers. I hope this helps you in your decision on buying and LCD.
That should be obvious.

I had actually went to about 5-6, maybe even 7 stores looking at tv's and the ways that the stores hooked them up. Most stores hooked them up via coax, some analog, and some s-video, so all the tv's looked like crap for the most part but mine looked the best in every store compared to any samsung or sharp or anything. And then I went to Bill Smith's which had the majority of their tv's connected via HDMI and some via component. At that point my tv looked spectacular. But also there was a Samsung there as well that was $800 cheaper that look the same. Samsung only had 2 HDMI while the Sony had 3. Then I noticed the Samsung was using HDMI while the Sony was using component so I asked the guy to give the Sony an HDMI a he did. Whala! Theres my tv. Absolutely the best tv hands down IMHO. But, I didn't buy it from them since I knew somebody that could get it at cost

P.S. Some stores will give the tv that is on sale that particular week a better picture in order to sell them even if it is not truly a better picture than others. You have to look at its connections.
Sony XBR75X900E
Denon AVR-X6400H
Panamax M5400-PM
Klipsch R-28F
Polk Audio T90e and CS10
Xbox One X
Old 09-07-2007, 03:33 PM   #12

May 2007
Germany
Send a message via Skype™ to rock-ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footloose301 View Post
Not good. From what I've read on here theres a lot of problems with either stuck pixels or banding in the display. One guy on here claims to have returned and exchanged them like 4 different times and had the same problem on each one and then Best Buy or Circuit City wouldn't deal with him anymore so they sent him to LG which pretty much did nothing.

Some people could have positive experiences though.
Yes, that's what I can confirm too. I had two Full HD LG's which both had problems. The 2nd one even had 19 stuck pixels! And the black level is terrible, if you watch a movie with 2:35:1 ratio the "black" bars looks grey. And when the movie is dark at all this looks very sad...
And both of them had serious clouding. You can't see things like that in the shops as they always have their lights on.
Finally I've exchanged it to a Samsung Full HD Panel and this one is much much better. The black level is great, now it's fun!

Hope this helps...
Panasonic TX-P65VT30E
Panasonic DMP-BDT310
PS3 slim
Onkyo TX SR-805
Speakers Infinity (Large Front), Canton (Center), JBL (Rear) 5.0 Configuration
Old 09-07-2007, 03:41 PM   #13
Expert Member

Mar 2007

Life is not good with LG but they seem to be making heavy presence in most stores these days with low pricing. My local Best Buy is loaded with them now and there's barely a Sony left in the place. It's sickening.
Old 09-07-2007, 03:53 PM   #14
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2007
Toronto

LG is just now coming out with 120hz. panels. They look damn nice.
Old 09-07-2007, 04:38 PM   #15
Special Member

May 2007
Fort Myers, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePS3 View Post
LG is just now coming out with 120hz. panels. They look damn nice.
....from the sidewalk....
Sony XBR75X900E
Denon AVR-X6400H
Panamax M5400-PM
Klipsch R-28F
Polk Audio T90e and CS10
Xbox One X
Old 09-07-2007, 04:40 PM   #16
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2007
Toronto

Hey, if you get a single 1080p source running on the panels and not a split amp'ed 1080i signal, they rock. Most stores run splitters and amp's through Component at best. Many use frickin' Cat-5 wire. Unbelievable how panels even sell when they're hooked up like an idiot did it.
Old 09-07-2007, 04:42 PM   #17
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2007
Toronto

... mind you, LG did have a few models that sucked the proverbial bag but then, everyone does.
Old 09-07-2007, 04:46 PM   #18

Aug 2007
South Central Los Angeles California

Quote:
Originally Posted by bone crusher View Post

Nope my friend has a 42 inch Lg Lcd and personaly i din't like the blacks on it.they either looks red or grey most of the time >: /
I perfer Sony's 34 in widescreen Crt over anything at this time.
Old 09-07-2007, 04:53 PM   #19
Special Member

May 2007
Fort Myers, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePS3 View Post
Hey, if you get a single 1080p source running on the panels and not a split amp'ed 1080i signal, they rock. Most stores run splitters and amp's through Component at best. Many use frickin' Cat-5 wire. Unbelievable how panels even sell when they're hooked up like an idiot did it.
yes, most stores around here are s-video/analog/coax. so they all look like junk
Sony XBR75X900E
Denon AVR-X6400H
Panamax M5400-PM
Klipsch R-28F
Polk Audio T90e and CS10
Xbox One X
Old 09-07-2007, 05:57 PM   #20
Special Member

Feb 2007

LG's previous name was Goldstar which was cheap junk. I'm sure they have improved with the change in name and commitment. But only time will tell.

Vizio TV's are excellent all-around when considering value and price. They don't have as good a picture as the name brands and where you really notice this is in the black levels, however for the money they are still very good.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > LCD TVs