Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Miami Vice: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$31.60
Barton Fink (Blu-ray)
$19.99
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Set 1 - Phantom Blood & Battle Tendency Arcs (Blu-ray)
$52.89
Resident Evil: Vendetta 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Woman of the Year (Blu-ray)
$19.35
Martin Scorsese's World Cinema Project, No. 2 (Blu-ray)
$60.88
King Arthur: Legend of the Sword (Blu-ray)
$24.99
They Live by Night (Blu-ray)
$16.93
Kong: Skull Island 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Red Turtle (Blu-ray)
$12.75
Bad Day at Black Rock (Blu-ray)
$10.05
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology

Old 05-31-2017, 04:37 PM   #41
Special Member

Jan 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalashaska View Post
Unless ultra-thin wallpaper TVs become popular/affordable, 1080p is likely all the pixels most people will ever need once you take screen size and seating distance into account.

That's not all there is to PQ though. The real benefit to UHD is high dynamic range, wide colour gamut and improved colour depth.

I've heard some say HDR on a good HDR display is much more impressive than the jump from 1080p to 4K, or even DVD to Blu-ray.

I have yet to see it in action myself, but I'm excited.
HDR can be amazing if done right. My favorite UHD so far PQ wise is The Shallows. Even though it only has a 2K master it looks gorgeous and better that movies do at my theater (have a crappy local one so maybe not saying much lol)
Old 06-01-2017, 03:32 AM   #42
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008
Rivendell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalashaska View Post
Unless ultra-thin wallpaper TVs become popular/affordable, 1080p is likely all the pixels most people will ever need once you take screen size and seating distance into account.

That's not all there is to PQ though. The real benefit to UHD is high dynamic range, wide colour gamut and improved colour depth.
This remains the key thing for me. With my 65" JS8500, the optimal viewing distance for 1080p material is 9 ft (which delivers stunning imagery, I have to say), and I can't fathom wanting to sit any closer than that (and I don't even typically sit at that distance, as my couch is more like 12-13 ft away).

Based on what I've read, the optimal viewing distance for 4K material on my set would be something like 5-6 feet away. That truly just doesn't appeal to me.

As for HDR, I know many are blown away by it - but I just don't get it. I've seen it for myself, so I know what people are talking about with regard to it. But it just doesn't seem like the second coming to me, as it does with other people.
"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis
Thanks given by:
Darcy1 (06-02-2017)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology