Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Sons of Anarchy: Seasons 1-6 (Blu-ray)
$99.99
1 hr ago
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$9.96

Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey (Blu-ray)
$19.99
17 hrs ago
X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$9.96
8 hrs ago
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$49.99

The Complete Jacques Tati (Blu-ray)
$59.99

Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$44.99

Sleeping Beauty (Blu-ray)
$18.99

Time Bandits (Blu-ray)
$21.99

The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$149.99

True Detective (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Homeland: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 06-30-2013, 01:39 AM   #61

Jan 2012
Virginia, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbinks View Post
Easy recommendation.
Old 06-30-2013, 01:51 AM   #62
Power Member

Feb 2007

I enjoyed 90s matches, but I couldn't watch the 80s matches. I tried, but I couldn't. I started watching wrestling in 1995 with WCW. I don't think I would have been a fan of it during the 80s because to me, the 80s style of wrestling seemed so sloppy at times. Great evidence of that is look at how many big matches & title matches were won with a weak finish like a sloppy cross body, a roll up, or something so simple but the other guy couldn't kick out? I like the idea of matches finishing with a finisher, it looks more realistic to me. With that said, that's what I didn't enjoy about Disc 1's matches. Dusty Rhodes talks before each match about the state of NWA/WCW, wrestling as a whole, and the war games concept, and when new guys were brought in in 1991 instead of the usual people, he basically said it wasn't the same and that it wasn't as good anymore. To me, that is when it actually started to get good. I could watch the War Games 2000 Match many times over before I could watch a full War Games match from the 80s on Disc 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talyn View Post
Seems like they are including all the War Game's matches through the years. So it's not too suprising. The E just won't ever hype Benoit but he won't be ignored. He's not removed from the title history of the WWF/E title, IC belt, etc... but no one's going out of there way to say "and one of Benoit's finest matches or wins."
Plus he was given such a big spot in the 1st edition of the WWE Encyclopedia and a similar size in the 2nd edition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sg2386 View Post
Looks great! i’m liking that the Blu-ray exclusives include variations of the war games match from ECW and SMW and the main feature consists of just WCW. Nice touch.
I never watched Smokey Mountain Wrestling but I did enjoy ECW, but I didn't like any of those extras and I don't agree that they fit to be on this set, they're just cage matches, not War Games at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidryancorn View Post
True but they have gone through the trouble of editing commentary on DVDs, interviews mentioning his name, etc.
WWE goes back on forth on having or removing someone's commentary. I've heard Ventura's commentary on Warrior/Hogan from WrestleMania 6 on 1 DVD then off another DVD. They do the same thing with music. It's nothing for them to edit out anything with audio. They do it all the time and other than licensing issues, there are many other times I've heard edits that I can't understand why they were done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidryancorn View Post
The three exclusive matches on the blu ray are beyond terrible.
I can watch the ECW matches, but they don't belong on this set at all.
Sony Bravia KDL-46EX720 46" LED 3D Internet TV w/ Full 1080p
Sony S-Master STR-KS2000 AV Receiver
XBOX One

Last edited by djluis2k6; 06-30-2013 at 02:16 AM.
Old 06-30-2013, 02:30 AM   #63
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2011
Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilutionary View Post
I just wish we could've seen some of the other War Games matches that occurred between 1987 and 1991, especially from the 1988 Great American Bash tour with the rotating babyface lineup that also included Sting and The Road Warriors. Unfortunately, I'm guessing most, if not all, of those matches were not filmed or no longer exist.
Old 06-30-2013, 02:56 AM   #64

Jun 2011
OC NY

Quote:
I just wish we could've seen some of the other War Games matches that occurred between 1987 and 1991, especially from the 1988 Great American Bash tour with the rotating babyface lineup that also included Sting and The Road Warriors. Unfortunately, I'm guessing most, if not all, of those matches were not filmed or no longer exist.
NWA/Crockett didn't film most of their live events, so practically the memories of the matches are with the paying audience. WWE on the other hand films most, if not all of their events. Even the live events have a one-camera operation.
My Blu-Ray setup:
40" Toshiba 40L2400U w/ soon to be Xbox One!

Visit my blog Bad Booking's Blog right here!
Old 06-30-2013, 04:19 AM   #65

Jan 2012
Virginia, USA

I'm not a huge fan of 80's wrestling, but the story telling and the excitement of those matches on disc one were amazing. Dusty was right when he said that the new guys lost it. Other than the one horseman match I wanted to see I couldn't watch them any more.

I don't think it had a lot to do with the talent either. I think it was the production and the behind the scenes stuff that got in the way. WCW fixed that with the NWO.
Old 06-30-2013, 04:58 AM   #66

Jul 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by djluis2k6 View Post
WWE goes back on forth on having or removing someone's commentary.
Not just someone, this is a Jesse Ventura issue. He sued them in the 90's for back payments on royalties and was awarded a hefty sum. What it is is that when it comes to matches with Jesse on them in a compilation like this one, they edit it out. But when they put out certain things like the WrestleMania anthologies, they leave it in because he's a big part of the whole show and it would be more noticeable and annoying if he was edited out.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:21 AM   #67
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2011
Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilutionary View Post
I'm not a huge fan of 80's wrestling, but the story telling and the excitement of those matches on disc one were amazing. Dusty was right when he said that the new guys lost it. Other than the one horseman match I wanted to see I couldn't watch them any more.

I don't think it had a lot to do with the talent either. I think it was the production and the behind the scenes stuff that got in the way. WCW fixed that with the NWO.
The mid-late 1990's matches often lacked the violence required of such a match and (much like mid-late 1990's WCW itself) devolved into all sorts of booking silliness and pretty much killed the concept, but those 1987 - 1992 matches (with the possible exception of the Tower of Doom match) are well worth the price of admission.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:02 AM   #68

Jan 2012
Virginia, USA

Quote:
The mid-late 1990's matches often lacked the violence required of such a match and (much like mid-late 1990's WCW itself) devolved into all sorts of booking silliness and pretty much killed the concept, but those 1987 - 1992 matches (with the possible exception of the Tower of Doom match) are well worth the price of admission.
the tower of Doom Match was awful. Just a dumb match. I did like how Ronnie Garvin got the hell out of there REAL quick.

The 2nd tower of dumb was pretty stupid too, but Kronik coming out as ONE entry was fantastic, even though the only reason they were there was to battle the Haas Brothers.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America