Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
28 Days Later / 28 Weeks Later (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Psycho (Blu-ray)
$10.98
The Sopranos: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$199.99
Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.99
Willow (Blu-ray)
$11.12
The Faculty (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.97
Hellsing Ultimate: Collection Volumes 5-8 (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Wrong Turn Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$9.99
White Christmas (Blu-ray)
$18.69
Sons of Anarchy: Seasons 1-6 (Blu-ray)
$172.59
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$15.93
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology

Old 06-23-2014, 01:57 PM   #321
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Lancaster, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
Is there any tech you aren't down on? (my opinion) lol.
I actually own just about everything except 3D. I like them all. It's just that the industry holds up new tech like some kind of doggie snack, expecting everyone to leap and bark in excitement.

3D disappointed everyone, even the fans, since the deployment of it didn't meet even the simplest logic test. 4K is very nice, but the industry can't figure out what it's supposed to look like, sound like, or if it will be compatible with existing tech - and they're already phasing out older sets, and selling new ones?

It's not the tech that's irritating me. It's the lack of clarity and coherency about moving it from the lab to the viewer's home. If this were stuff that didn't cost more than a kitchen appliance, it wouldn't matter. But take a look at these prices...the services that go with the equipment...and the availability of any of it.

Not good.
Thanks given by:
Geoff D (06-23-2014), slick1ru2 (06-23-2014)
Old 06-23-2014, 03:38 PM   #322
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2009
The South

I got 3D on my last set two years ago. Paid $150 for glasses, used them maybe 5 times. Even my wife and kid won't use them. And 600hz on a plasma is pure marketing hype for the uninitiated.
Old 06-23-2014, 11:55 PM   #323
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2009
The South

Ok, found what I saw recently and it's on CNN. Dolby and Philips are developing 3D glasses free with zones. They don't say how big the zones are though, one head or two, lol.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:26 PM   #324
Expert Member

Oct 2012

Of course, when 4k discs do come out, I imagine we'll spend the next five years talking about how they're not as successful as bluray therefore doomed to failure.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:34 PM   #325
Power Member

Oct 2007
UK

As I've said before... DVD was launched when the major economies were booming. We all know what Blu-Ray was launched into!!! Given that, it has done remarkably well.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:18 PM   #326
Expert Member

Oct 2012

DVD was more than just the economy, which was significant. It put laserdisc quality releases into the mass market which pleased film fans and it gave VHS collectors the ability to quickly and cheaply buy new releases. It was also trendy and exciting, there was no end of 'lifestyle' articles about it in the mainstream press. There was nothing like it before. Bluray was a 'better' version of DVD released at a time when a lot of people were done collecting for various reasons.

It also had no competition from streaming and downloads. We're in a much different world now, and 4k will be a diminishing return when/if we see a disc version. Doesn't mean it wont happen or be a success.

That bluray is still around in 2014 and getting better every month it seems, is a remarkable success.

We tend to forget those formats that came after VHS that utterly flopped, DVHS and VideoCD.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:27 PM   #327

Jun 2011
Womelsdorf, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post
The Sony version of HDMI 1.4 vs HDMI 2.0a vs HDMI 2.0b here. I made a PDF of the table from the graphic info, it should print much better.
Which TV's have HDMI 2.0b and how do you tell?

The new audio/video receivers claim 4k 4:44 12bit at 60hz, do they have HDMI 2.0b built in?

Seiki just announced there new TV's that will come out q4 2014 - q1 2015 and will have DP 1.3 built in, do you think 4k120hz is possible if built with the right panel?
Old 06-25-2014, 12:15 AM   #328

Dec 2007
FL, WV

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenoh View Post
Which TV's have HDMI 2.0b and how do you tell?

The new audio/video receivers claim 4k 4:44 12bit at 60hz, do they have HDMI 2.0b built in?

Seiki just announced there new TV's that will come out q4 2014 - q1 2015 and will have DP 1.3 built in, do you think 4k120hz is possible if built with the right panel?
Where did you see the recent Seiki announcement? I hadn't heard anything since CES back in Jan. 2014.

As for HDMI 2.0 you may only be able to tell if a given UHDTV supports the full bandwidth version vs. the limited bandwidth version by what specific UHD formats are supported. I posted a blog last October that included tables for which UHD formats can be supported with each version. HERE is the link to that blog.
Old 06-25-2014, 02:01 AM   #329

Jun 2011
Womelsdorf, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjones View Post
Where did you see the recent Seiki announcement? I hadn't heard anything since CES back in Jan. 2014.

As for HDMI 2.0 you may only be able to tell if a given UHDTV supports the full bandwidth version vs. the limited bandwidth version by what specific UHD formats are supported. I posted a blog last October that included tables for which UHD formats can be supported with each version. HERE is the link to that blog.
Try google news and check the last 24 hours under search 4k and you'll get news updates up to the last hour! TCL has also announced 4k TV's under $500 with HDMI 2.0 and they even have computer monitors up to 40"

http://www.pcper.com/news/Displays/S...DisplayPort-13

http://www.cnet.com/news/tcl-unveils...under-a-grand/
Old 06-26-2014, 01:22 AM   #330
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRW1 View Post
Of course, when 4k discs do come out, I imagine we'll spend the next five years talking about how they're not as successful as bluray therefore doomed to failure.
lol, I thought the next topic would be 3D4k
Old 06-26-2014, 01:25 AM   #331
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRW1 View Post
DVD was more than just the economy, which was significant. It put laserdisc quality releases into the mass market which pleased film fans and it gave VHS collectors the ability to quickly and cheaply buy new releases. It was also trendy and exciting, there was no end of 'lifestyle' articles about it in the mainstream press. There was nothing like it before. Bluray was a 'better' version of DVD released at a time when a lot of people were done collecting for various reasons.

It also had no competition from streaming and downloads. We're in a much different world now, and 4k will be a diminishing return when/if we see a disc version. Doesn't mean it wont happen or be a success.

That bluray is still around in 2014 and getting better every month it seems, is a remarkable success.

We tend to forget those formats that came after VHS that utterly flopped, DVHS and VideoCD.
I think it's real benefit was that it could be produced cheaply (much cheaper to replicate a DVD for retail then to make a VHS copy) that meant higher margins for studios and for retailers, so everyone was pushing it much harder.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology