Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Sopranos: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$199.99
28 Days Later / 28 Weeks Later (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Psycho (Blu-ray)
$10.98
Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Willow (Blu-ray)
$11.12
The Faculty (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.99
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.97
Hellsing Ultimate: Collection Volumes 5-8 (Blu-ray)
$14.99
White Christmas (Blu-ray)
$18.69
Wrong Turn Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Sons of Anarchy: Seasons 1-6 (Blu-ray)
$172.59
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$15.93
The Simpsons: The Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.96
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies

Old 02-27-2013, 10:06 AM   #1

Mar 2008
Default Turtle: The Incredible Journey - 25th April 2013

A little loggerhead turtle follows in the path of her ancestors on one of the most extraordinary journeys in the natural world. Born on a beach in Florida, she rides the Gulf Stream all the way to the frozen north and ultimately swims around the entire North Atlantic to Africa and back to the beach where she was born.

Pre-ordered this one. It's from Kaleidoscope Home Entertainment so will likely drop in price reasonably quick after release, but not too badly priced as it is. Reviews at imdb (none specifying 3D) are favourable.
<<<<Also have 7500+ dvds not added to my collection. Decided it was a losing battle. Also have several hundred blu-rays to add but only adding when watched as a rule of thumb.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:30 PM   #2

Oct 2011

Someone told me that was a crappy fake 3D conversion but this same person also said the Shrek movies and Kun-Fu Panda was also crappy fake 3D conversions. Would like to hear how it is when you get it.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:48 AM   #3

Oct 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermoth View Post
Someone told me that was a crappy fake 3D conversion but this same person also said the Shrek movies and Kun-Fu Panda was also crappy fake 3D conversions. Would like to hear how it is when you get it.
The first 3 Shrek movies (not Shrek Forever After) are conversions, apparently the original 3D computer models were either lost or too expensive to re-render, see here:
Quote:
Why did DreamWorks prefer Legend3D’s 2D to 3D conversion method for the first three Shrek movies as opposed to just re-render the movies in 3D by themselves?

The process of recovering and de-archiving the assets of animation catalog titles, if they even actually still exist, can be very expensive, time consuming and requires a significant amount of skilled resources. We did receive a large number of assets from DreamWorks which was very helpful though all assets were not available. Without the CG assets, there was no way to convert the trilogy without going back and actually redoing the films. It would have been cost and resource prohibitive to do whereas I believe the partnership with Legend3D proved to be a more financially sound and efficient decision.
And this poster says at least some of Kung Fu Panda 1 had to be converted for the same reason, though I haven't been able to find definite verification of that (but realorfake3d.com lists it in the "fake 3D" column under the heading "2008", while listing Kung Fu Panda 2 in the "real 3D" column under "2011")
Old 02-28-2013, 06:46 AM   #4
Expert Member

Apr 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnosifl View Post
The first 3 Shrek movies (not Shrek Forever After) are conversions, apparently the original 3D computer models were either lost or too expensive to re-render, see here:

And this poster says at least some of Kung Fu Panda 1 had to be converted for the same reason, though I haven't been able to find definite verification of that (but realorfake3d.com lists it in the "fake 3D" column under the heading "2008", while listing Kung Fu Panda 2 in the "real 3D" column under "2011")
I finally found some info on this. I found this in a link on google -" 3D conversion service at Technicolor Digital Productions. Kung Fu Panda (2011 - blu-ray stereo conversion) .

ps. Its a great conversion too, its these and the conversions of the Shrek series why I believe they are just as good as converting by re-rendering.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:12 AM   #5

Oct 2011

I have only seen clips of the first three Shreks on youtube 3D and they don't look like they were done with stereo maps. They must have done something different in the process like what disney did with Meet the Robinsons. Kung Fu Panda didn't look converted at all. I just find it hard to believe that something that was released to home video two years ago done in the stereo map fashion of conversion had better 3D than other theatrically released 3D titles done the same way since.

And real or fake isn't the best source. They have moved movies from real to fake and vice versa before.

Last edited by tigermoth; 02-28-2013 at 08:14 AM.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:23 PM   #6

Oct 2012

Quote:
Kung Fu Panda didn't look converted at all.
Well, the poster I linked to before said that they were able to use the original 3D models for most of it, and only a little bit had to be converted from the 2D image:
Quote:
With Kung Fu Panda, they were able to access and re-render most of the original data, and much less of the movie had to be converted.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:02 PM   #7
Expert Member

Sep 2011
Galveston, TX

Captain 3D was my source on Shrek 1-3 and Kung Fu Panda.

http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/3dtv/message/31324

http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/3dtv/message/31358

By the way, Pixar conversions/re-renders contain some rotoscoped elements as well.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/32...or-pixar-on-3d
Vizio E3D420VX 3DTV, 160GB PS3, Onkyo HT-S3500 5.1 Home Theater, Sony MDR-DS7500 7.1 Headphones
Old 02-28-2013, 07:24 PM   #8
Expert Member

Sep 2011
Galveston, TX

Turtle: The Incredible Journey is a conversion (shot on 35mm film says IMDB). I haven't seen it, although it's free on Netflix, but this article says it was converted by the same Russian company who converted Space Dogs. I previewed one minute of that and couldn't stand to look at it any longer. Every shot was a warped mix of normal and reverse 3D. Buyer beware.

http://themoscownews.com/bizfeature/...188492672.html
Vizio E3D420VX 3DTV, 160GB PS3, Onkyo HT-S3500 5.1 Home Theater, Sony MDR-DS7500 7.1 Headphones

Last edited by BleedOrange11; 02-28-2013 at 07:47 PM.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:46 PM   #9
Expert Member

Sep 2011
Galveston, TX

Quote:
And real or fake isn't the best source. They have moved movies from real to fake and vice versa before.
Agreed. He's got a nice list going, but sometimes he puts too much stock into some pretty weak sources.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:58 PM   #10

Oct 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOrange11 View Post
Captain 3D was my source on Shrek 1-3 and Kung Fu Panda.

http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/3dtv/message/31324

http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/3dtv/message/31358

By the way, Pixar conversions/re-renders contain some rotoscoped elements as well.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/32...or-pixar-on-3d
There is a ten minuet clip on youtube of Shrek 2 and it looks re-rendered to me. They must have had access to a fair bit of the Shrek movies.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:02 PM   #11

Mar 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOrange11 View Post
I haven't seen it, although it's free on Netflix
In 3D? If so I'd appreciate some feedback!
<<<<Also have 7500+ dvds not added to my collection. Decided it was a losing battle. Also have several hundred blu-rays to add but only adding when watched as a rule of thumb.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:30 PM   #12
Expert Member

Sep 2011
Galveston, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by samdvd1 View Post
In 3D? If so I'd appreciate some feedback!
Sorry. I checked Netflix again, and it's only available in 2D. Thought I saw it in the 3D category earlier.

Based on the quality of that company's other work, I'd steer clear if you're only interested in the underwater 3D experience. Something by IMAX or Jean-Michel Cousteau might be more visually pleasing.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies