Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Sopranos: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$199.99
28 Days Later / 28 Weeks Later (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Psycho (Blu-ray)
$10.98
Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Willow (Blu-ray)
$11.12
The Faculty (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.99
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.97
Hellsing Ultimate: Collection Volumes 5-8 (Blu-ray)
$14.99
White Christmas (Blu-ray)
$18.69
Wrong Turn Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Sons of Anarchy: Seasons 1-6 (Blu-ray)
$172.59
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$15.93
The Simpsons: The Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.96
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED
Old 10-14-2014, 02:15 AM   #4921
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Northern Delaware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
Oh, you're not doing the double carpet boogie? Interesting. Reminds me of a show I once saw in Vegas.

So you recently bought new speakers, chairs, a pre-pro, gaming system and a rug? You're spending money like a drunken sailor. I love it.
No, no, no,... That's the gameplan! It's on the docket, things to do, bucket list, etc,...

I just can't drop $10K in a single purchase. My wife would kill my a$$!
Regards,

My Room as of Sept 2014

"Chance favors only the prepared mind." Louis Pasteur
Old 10-14-2014, 02:17 AM   #4922
Contributor

Apr 2009
Corner Totem Ave. and Bryston Blvd, Arcam Shire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldgibson76 View Post
Hello Oliver. I hope all is well with you and the fam. Thank you for the kind observations. IMO, the chairs have made the biggest impact to the decor and look of the room. I still have a lot to do before I'm satisfied. The $$$ has been sort of tight so I have to be very strategic with this costly endeavor. New speakers, new pre-pro and new gaming system. Up until now, I've been making little functionality changes to the ensemble. I've installed a new HDMI switcher (5 x 1) that's v1.4. That now gives me 8 HDMI inputs total. I have 7 devices that use HDMI cables. (Can you say Oppo BDP-105D). That acquisition alone, would remove 4 boxes from my set up.
Yeah the 105D is one thing I am considering but I would keep my Dac altho it can act as DAC.
Olivier
Panasonic TC-P55ST30
Oppo BDP-103D, Oppo BDP-83, Bel Canto 3.5vb DAC
Arcam AVR400 Receiver, Bryston 6B-SST Power Amp, Totem Forests Signature L/R, Totem Model One Sig. Center, Totem Mites Surrounds
TotemTress, Nordost, Bis Audio, Audioquest
JL Audio Fathom f113 Gloss Black, Dynaudio X-12, Acco Accoustic Panels

Old 10-14-2014, 02:41 AM   #4923
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2009
Terraforming planet Wabo

Quote:
No, no, no,... That's the gameplan! It's on the docket, things to do, bucket list, etc,...

I just can't drop $10K in a single purchase. My wife would kill my a$$!
Babysteps. You got the rug.
[Show spoiler]

When life gives you limes, make margaritas
Thanks given by:
solarrdadd (10-14-2014)
Old 10-14-2014, 02:55 AM   #4924
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2008
Alexandria, VA

Quote:
Hello Oliver. I hope all is well with you and the fam. Thank you for the kind observations. IMO, the chairs have made the biggest impact to the decor and look of the room. I still have a lot to do before I'm satisfied. The $$$ has been sort of tight so I have to be very strategic with this costly endeavor. New speakers, new pre-pro and new gaming system. Up until now, I've been making little functionality changes to the ensemble. I've installed a new HDMI switcher (5 x 1) that's v1.4. That now gives me 8 HDMI inputs total. I have 7 devices that use HDMI cables. (Can you say Oppo BDP-105D). That acquisition alone, would remove 4 boxes from my set up.
sorry, beat you to it, i installed one of those about 1-2 weeks ago, connected it to my 105D and i use 8 channels analog out from it to my pre-amp which feeds my amps for 7.1 the picture is better than it was on any source now connected to the 105D and the audio is out of this world for everything that is connected to the 105D's DAC.

i've never been happier. i did it because my old pre-amp (love it though i might) is having hdmi board problems on the audio side (the video works perfectly) so i snagged an 8 x 1 hdmi switcher from monoprice and connected everything to the 105D (which is now my pre-pro to the pre-pro ) and that will hold me over for a good long while til i decide to buy a new pre-amp (maybe looking into the XMC-1 next year after at least another 1 - 2 firmware updates and more bugs worked out of it)

how ya doing gibby? i just got back tonight from hanging out with my Daughter at NY Comic Con; boy did we have a blast for those 3 days!
55" Sony SXRD KDS-A552000 1080P
PS3 Slim & XBOX 360 Elite, Wii, iPhone5 64gb
iPad4 64gb, AppleTV-hdmi, NAS-1tb, Oppo BDP-105D, 105, 93 & 83 players
Onkyo PR-SC5507P Pre/Pro; TX-NR525 Harmony 1, SB-Touch, Axiom Spkrs M80v3, VP180v3, QS8v3, QS4v3 M2v3, Front 3 Bi-Wired! Emotiva XPA-5, UPA-2, UPA-200, & mini-x Amps, XDA-1DAC, X-Ref 12 DSP Sub & Ultra Subs 12 Polk Audio SDA-2, Monitor 10 & Monitor 5Jr speakers
NY GIANTS!
Old 10-14-2014, 02:56 AM   #4925
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2008
Alexandria, VA

Quote:
[Show spoiler]

Onkyo PR-SC5507P Pre/Pro; TX-NR525 Harmony 1, SB-Touch, Axiom Spkrs M80v3, VP180v3, QS8v3, QS4v3 M2v3, Front 3 Bi-Wired! Emotiva XPA-5, UPA-2, UPA-200, & mini-x Amps, XDA-1DAC, X-Ref 12 DSP Sub & Ultra Subs 12 Polk Audio SDA-2, Monitor 10 & Monitor 5Jr speakers
NY GIANTS!
Old 10-14-2014, 03:13 AM   #4926
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2008
LOTR Auckland, New Zealand (Down Under)

Quote:
[Show spoiler]

Well played.
Source: iPod 160G in Arcam DrDock, 2x Oppo BDP-103D's (Blu-ray, CD, SACD and DVD Audio), PS3 and PS4.
Amplification: Marantz SR7009(Atmos), 2x Marantz MM7055's (10 amps bi-amping 5 channels).
Speakers (Atmos 5.3.2): 4 x Polk RTiA7's, Polk CSP 1000, 2x Atlantic TLC-8.2, Polk PSW 1200, 2x SVS SB Ultra 13's and triple buttkicker system.
Projection: Dreamvision Yunzi + 3 Tentation Ltd. Ed.
Headgear: Woo WA22 (tube amp), Oppo HA-1 (DAC and amp), Audeze LCD-3.
Old 10-14-2014, 03:13 AM   #4927
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Northern Delaware

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarrdadd View Post
sorry, beat you to it, i installed one of those about 1-2 weeks ago, connected it to my 105D and i use 8 channels analog out from it to my pre-amp which feeds my amps for 7.1 the picture is better than it was on any source now connected to the 105D and the audio is out of this world for everything that is connected to the 105D's DAC.

i've never been happier. i did it because my old pre-amp (love it though i might) is having hdmi board problems on the audio side (the video works perfectly) so i snagged an 8 x 1 hdmi switcher from monoprice and connected everything to the 105D (which is now my pre-pro to the pre-pro ) and that will hold me over for a good long while til i decide to buy a new pre-amp (maybe looking into the XMC-1 next year after at least another 1 - 2 firmware updates and more bugs worked out of it)

how ya doing gibby? i just got back tonight from hanging out with my Daughter at NY Comic Con; boy did we have a blast for those 3 days!
Hello SD!

It's good to hear from you. That's cool that your daughter is into Comic-Con! I wished my daughters showed interest in something other than shopping and Facebook/Instagram!

Now, let's talk about your Onk pre-pro,... How long has the HDMI stage been audio defective? Using the 8 x 1 HDMI switcher and routing all devices to the Oppo was a good idea. You have to take a photo of the setup and post it.
Regards,

My Room as of Sept 2014

Old 10-14-2014, 03:25 AM   #4928
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2008
Alexandria, VA

Quote:
Hello SD!

It's good to hear from you. That's cool that your daughter is into Comic-Con! I wished my daughters showed interest in something other than shopping and Facebook/Instagram!

Now, let's talk about your Onk pre-pro,... How long has the HDMI stage been audio defective? Using the 8 x 1 HDMI switcher and routing all devices to the Oppo was a good idea. You have to take a photo of the setup and post it.
for a couple of weeks, it took me a bit of troubleshooting at first because it was intermittent. kept making crackling noises into my speakers every so often, i thought it was the speaker, the amp, the cables, but ruled all of that out. and sure enough it was the pre-amp's hdmi board.

so after figuring all of this out, i decided that i would test out the oppo's hdmi in video capabilities first, so, i connected my cable hd-dvr directly to the 105 and it looked and sounded good the instant i connected it with no problems either.

see, the audio is being done by the 105 via hdmi and then sent over to the 5507 pre-amp via 8 analog cables for audio (which bypasses the hdmi for audio) and since it (the 5507) will pass video via hdmi with no problem, the 105 output connected to the 5507 passes the cable hd-dvr signal with no problem with the post enhanced "D" video from the 105D. as i mentioned, everything looks and sounds better than before.

i'll be sure in the next couple of days to post some video. the one down side of the switcher is the lights, but a well cut piece of black construction paper takes care of that for me. this setup will hold me over until i decide to replace the existing pre-amp as i mentioned before. so for now, i'm happy. oh, and it works with all my gear to include both gaming consoles and everything else i own that's hdmi!
NY GIANTS!
Old 10-14-2014, 05:17 PM   #4929
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Northern Delaware

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarrdadd View Post
for a couple of weeks, it took me a bit of troubleshooting at first because it was intermittent. kept making crackling noises into my speakers every so often, i thought it was the speaker, the amp, the cables, but ruled all of that out. and sure enough it was the pre-amp's hdmi board.

so after figuring all of this out, i decided that i would test out the oppo's hdmi in video capabilities first, so, i connected my cable hd-dvr directly to the 105 and it looked and sounded good the instant i connected it with no problems either.

see, the audio is being done by the 105 via hdmi and then sent over to the 5507 pre-amp via 8 analog cables for audio (which bypasses the hdmi for audio) and since it (the 5507) will pass video via hdmi with no problem, the 105 output connected to the 5507 passes the cable hd-dvr signal with no problem with the post enhanced "D" video from the 105D. as i mentioned, everything looks and sounds better than before.

i'll be sure in the next couple of days to post some video. the one down side of the switcher is the lights, but a well cut piece of black construction paper takes care of that for me. this setup will hold me over until i decide to replace the existing pre-amp as i mentioned before. so for now, i'm happy. oh, and it works with all my gear to include both gaming consoles and everything else i own that's hdmi!
Hello SD.

I just visited the Onkyo website forum and no doubt, the HDMI audio drop out has been a issue they've been addressing in both Integra and Onkyo HDMI boards and it's being going on for quite some time now. It happens with both the pre-pro's and AVR's. From what I read, it's primarily due to the heat generated by the processors and amp sections. With some communication with Onkyo, you may be able to get that repaired with only an outlay of shipping fees. Don't quote me on that, but it seems to be the trend in the resolution process.

Now, about using the Oppo as a pre amp,..... It's a great idea that you are using the 8 x1 switcher as your conduit and the 105 as the audio processor. Now here's the real question, hopefully this will be a temporary solution until you get the Onk back to good health because with the 105D doing that much work, do you think you may be shortening the lifespan of the Oppo. It's taking on a lot of responsibility. I have to believe that the primary directive is that it's a optical device first and foremost. Pre-amp duties is secondary, mainly light-duty processing. In your current configuration, (no doubt, ingenious ) the 105D is handling pretty much everything. That's a lot to put on it's HDMI stage. Maybe I'm just a little paranoid due to my unyielding belief in the one device/one function philosophy.

I have to tell you though, you've got me kind of curious about my current configuration and how I'm implementing the processing from my Sony BDP-S5000ES, Denon DVD-3930CI and the Sony BDP-S790 to the Rotel processor.

Currently, I'm sending audio that has been processed/converted to LPCM internally by S5000ES via HDMI to my Rotel's HDMI v1.1 stage. It's sounds great, but now I'm wondering if I've been missing out on the performance of the 7.1 analog stage. I've read several times that it's superior to audio via HDMI. The reason for the current config is due to convenience. The S5000ES is a SACD player also, but I use the Denon for multi-channel music formats. With Denon, I'm using the 5.1 analog pre-outs for playback of SACD and DVD-A media. Both the Denon and Rotel have HDMI v1.1 stages which can not send or receive a hi-res SACD signal via HDMI (it can but it would be down converted to 16/44.1) but hi-res DVD-A is doable. The Denon also serves as my redbook CD player via analog. (Dual TI/BurrBrown PCM1796 DAC's)

So, here's my theory,..... If I take the 5.1 analog cables from the Denon, add two interconnects for the 7.1 connectivity and apply it to the Sony for SACD playback and at the same time also have the ability to experience the alledged superior audio quality when watching a blu-ray, still pass video via HDMI to the Rotel, allow for the Denon to use the HDMI v1.1 for DVD-A, I could potentially experience an upgrade in performance without forking out any $$$$!
Or should I say, delay my need to fork out the $$$ for the 105D and wait for the 2015 model. Hopefully the new model will have the ability to play the 4K UBD's that are inbound by the holidays of 2015. Wishful thinking, I know.
Regards,

My Room as of Sept 2014

Old 10-14-2014, 07:03 PM   #4930
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2008
Alexandria, VA

Quote:
Hello SD.

I just visited the Onkyo website forum and no doubt, the HDMI audio drop out has been a issue they've been addressing in both Integra and Onkyo HDMI boards and it's being going on for quite some time now. It happens with both the pre-pro's and AVR's. From what I read, it's primarily due to the heat generated by the processors and amp sections. With some communication with Onkyo, you may be able to get that repaired with only an outlay of shipping fees. Don't quote me on that, but it seems to be the trend in the resolution process.

Now, about using the Oppo as a pre amp,..... It's a great idea that you are using the 8 x1 switcher as your conduit and the 105 as the audio processor. Now here's the real question, hopefully this will be a temporary solution until you get the Onk back to good health because with the 105D doing that much work, do you think you may be shortening the lifespan of the Oppo. It's taking on a lot of responsibility. I have to believe that the primary directive is that it's a optical device first and foremost. Pre-amp duties is secondary, mainly light-duty processing. In your current configuration, (no doubt, ingenious ) the 105D is handling pretty much everything. That's a lot to put on it's HDMI stage. Maybe I'm just a little paranoid due to my unyielding belief in the one device/one function philosophy.

I have to tell you though, you've got me kind of curious about my current configuration and how I'm implementing the processing from my Sony BDP-S5000ES, Denon DVD-3930CI and the Sony BDP-S790 to the Rotel processor.

Currently, I'm sending audio that has been processed/converted to LPCM internally by S5000ES via HDMI to my Rotel's HDMI v1.1 stage. It's sounds great, but now I'm wondering if I've been missing out on the performance of the 7.1 analog stage. I've read several times that it's superior to audio via HDMI. The reason for the current config is due to convenience. The S5000ES is a SACD player also, but I use the Denon for multi-channel music formats. With Denon, I'm using the 5.1 analog pre-outs for playback of SACD and DVD-A media. Both the Denon and Rotel have HDMI v1.1 stages which can not send or receive a hi-res SACD signal via HDMI (it can but it would be down converted to 16/44.1) but hi-res DVD-A is doable. The Denon also serves as my redbook CD player via analog. (Dual TI/BurrBrown PCM1796 DAC's)

So, here's my theory,..... If I take the 5.1 analog cables from the Denon, add two interconnects for the 7.1 connectivity and apply it to the Sony for SACD playback and at the same time also have the ability to experience the alledged superior audio quality when watching a blu-ray, still pass video via HDMI to the Rotel, allow for the Denon to use the HDMI v1.1 for DVD-A, I could potentially experience an upgrade in performance without forking out any $$$$!
Or should I say, delay my need to fork out the $$$ for the 105D and wait for the 2015 model. Hopefully the new model will have the ability to play the 4K UBD's that are inbound by the holidays of 2015. Wishful thinking, I know.
for the last part of your post, about the audio, i have no idea what the DAC in the sony sounds like so i can't comment. you can compare the DAC in the player against the DAC in the receiver if your player can output at the same time both 7.1 analog audio and bitstreamed audio. then you can switch between hdmi for audio or multichannel analog for audio on the receiver end.

as for my situation, my pre-amp is a true "seperates" pre-amp, it has no amp section in it for speakers (and of course, no where to connect speakers too.) i have had the hdmi board replaced a while ago and they did that nicely out of warranty for me. i accept that the pre-amp is old as in 3 generations old and it's not worth getting it fixed. it's not a cable or component in issue as this is something that happened across all inputs, no matter if i had one device connected and turned on or all devices. fortunately, the multichannel analog input section was not affected.

i don't want to tell you to wait for the 4k oppo model or not. i would say, if you plan on buying a new 4K display, 4K receiver next year, then it makes sense to wait on a new player to match. it's tricky with this 4k thing, i won't become involved with it until i see the media is available and truly appears to be moving forward in support of it. when i see more than 5 major players putting out 4k blu-ray playes, then, i'll take notice. perhaps by the time all the box stores release their in house exclusive 4k bd players, then i'll think about buying. for the immediate future, what i have will stay until i've seen enough to know the XMC-1 is where i want it to be then i'll buy. i'm looking at that because, of all the other true pre-amps, it's the only one NOT giving up multichannel audio inputs for the sake of ATMOS which needs more speaker outputs.

as for the 105, i'll put it to you like this, i purchased it for my 2 channel setup for the best sounding audio i could in any format with the 105's award winning player/DAC. loved the sound, so much, that i purchased a 105D for my HT and i love the movie sound with the superior DAC in my 105D all audio sounds sooooooo much better, to me!

to answer your question about using the 105D as a pre-amp and would it somehow hurt it. i'd say no, it's a function of the player so, no. if it would reduce the life expectancy of the player, there would be a warning about it. the 10x series players are designed to be pre-amps by their very nature of having that hdmi input. all of these things have a MTBF rate (mean time before failure) so, i'm not worried about it. i probably have it on for about 4hrs per night and that's if i watch tv in the main setup each night which i do not.

i'm very happy with the highly improved video & audio using the 105D as my audio/video pre-amp for all my other devices.

hope i helped. good luck to you on your choice(s); please keep us posted.

oh yeah, how are you doing buddy, well and better i am hoping. also, well wishes for the family too!
NY GIANTS!
Old 10-15-2014, 01:44 AM   #4931
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Northern Delaware

Quote:
Oh, you're not doing the double carpet boogie? Interesting. Reminds me of a show I once saw in Vegas.

So you recently bought new speakers, chairs, a pre-pro, gaming system and a rug? You're spending money like a drunken sailor. I love it.
Yo Wabs!

You don't understand!!!!!! I'm the type of guy that buys floor mats to cover the carpeted floor mats in my car! So a rug for the carpet in my Cave is par the the course! It's what I do! Can you dig it?!
Regards,

My Room as of Sept 2014

Last edited by ldgibson76; 10-15-2014 at 08:40 PM.
Old 10-15-2014, 02:29 AM   #4932
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2008
Middletown, RI (MEMBER OF THE "ECPP")

Quote:
Yo Wabs!

You don't understand!!!!!! I'm the type of guy that buys floor mats to cover the carpeted floor mats in my car! So a rug for the carpet in my Cave is old hat! It's what I do! Ya dig?!

* Boston, MA. - 8 Sports Titles/11 Yrs!! (02-13) *

POLK AUDIO: "LIVE IT, BREATHE IT, LOVE IT, BELIEVE IT!"
* TV: 70" SHARP 3D/LC-70UQ17U - POLK AUDIO - "7.2" - Center: CS2 - Front: T90e's
Surrounds: FXi A6's (Side), A3's (Rear) - Subs: 2 PA-120's *
ONKYO TX-NR838 DOLBY ATMOS (Ready) - OPPO BDP-83 - DirecTV: HR-44 HD-DVR - Harmony ONE
* BLU-RAYS: 945 *
Old 10-15-2014, 09:54 PM   #4933
Power Member

Jan 2009

Hey LD,

Nice to see you posting. I have been in and out myself. How are things going with you?
Speakers - Monitor Audio GX300 - GX350C - GXFX
Subwoofers - Dual Definitive Technology Trinity Subwoofers
Amps - Bryston 4bsst2 2 channal - Brystom 5bst 3 channel
Pre/Pros - Denon 4311 - Cambridge Audio 840E Preamp
Sources - PS3 - Maranta NA7004 - Denon 1713
Power and Protection - 2 Panamax 5400 PM
Cabling - Audioquest Rocket 33 biwire - Diamondbacks - Forest - SubX - NRGX3 - Evergreen Optilink
Old 10-15-2014, 09:59 PM   #4934
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2009
The "Boogie Down"
Send a message via AIM to DangeRuss Send a message via Yahoo to DangeRuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerrellB View Post
Hey LD,

Nice to see you posting. I have been in and out myself. How are things going with you?

A Derrell sighting
Visuals by......
Panasonic~ Oppo

Audio by...
DUAL~ Grado ~ Yamaha
Harman/Kardon~ Acoustic Research
SVS
Old 10-15-2014, 10:03 PM   #4935
Power Member

Jan 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangeRuss View Post

A Derrell sighting
I was just headed to your thread to speak.
Speakers - Monitor Audio GX300 - GX350C - GXFX
Subwoofers - Dual Definitive Technology Trinity Subwoofers
Amps - Bryston 4bsst2 2 channal - Brystom 5bst 3 channel
Pre/Pros - Denon 4311 - Cambridge Audio 840E Preamp
Sources - PS3 - Maranta NA7004 - Denon 1713
Power and Protection - 2 Panamax 5400 PM
Cabling - Audioquest Rocket 33 biwire - Diamondbacks - Forest - SubX - NRGX3 - Evergreen Optilink
Old 10-15-2014, 10:07 PM   #4936
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2009
The "Boogie Down"
Send a message via AIM to DangeRuss Send a message via Yahoo to DangeRuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerrellB View Post
I was just headed to your thread to speak.
Okay ............................
Visuals by......
Panasonic~ Oppo

Audio by...
DUAL~ Grado ~ Yamaha
Harman/Kardon~ Acoustic Research
SVS
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater Galleries