Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Mad Max Anthology (Blu-ray)
$49.98
The Walking Dead: Seasons 1-4 (Blu-ray)
$68.99
Men in Black 3 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Originals: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$27.99
Hammer Horror Classics, Volume 1 (Blu-ray)
$38.47
We Are Still Here (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Mad Max: Fury Road (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Star Wars: Rebels - Complete Season One (Blu-ray)
$32.99
Lost After Dark (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Vampire Diaries: The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 09-13-2014, 07:49 PM   #2541

Aug 2013
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC-Technerd View Post
Yes, I'm very glad that they remastered the 7.1 from the original elements, rather than just trying to up-convert from the previous stereo surround. I simply would have preferred that the English Stereo 2.0 track have been the original 2.0 surround mix rather than a mix-down of the new 7.1.

On Night Terrors from 19:32 to 20:05 note that Riker twice looks back toward the camera. You can hear Riker's footsteps and the music. On the foreign language tracks only, there are creaks to which Riker is reacting that are not present on either of the English language tracks. Apparently this subtle audio element was missed in the 7.1 master, which was then down mixed to create the English Stereo 2.0. This suggests that the foreign language tracks are from the original broadcast master, and the English Stereo 2.0 is not. I believe the DVD audio track for Night Terrors includes the creaks.
I did hear something with the headphones, very soft, not the same sound, but, just because the foreign audio tracks has this audio element, does not necessarily mean the English 2.0 audio track is a mix down from the 7.1 track. It's supposed to be from the original broadcast master. The foreign audio is Monophonic, and I noticed the sound effects vary in how they sound for each language, not sure why that is.

You may have found an error that was unintentional, perhaps from the english audio masters, I have also noticed sometimes that the communicator or tricorder sounds seem to be missing, but, if I turn it up louder, they are there, but kind of soft, (7.1), I'll have to check the other audio tracks next time I notice this.
Old 09-28-2014, 05:05 AM   #2542

Aug 2013
USA

Quote:
On Night Terrors from 19:32 to 20:05 note that Riker twice looks back toward the camera. You can hear Riker's footsteps and the music. On the foreign language tracks only, there are creaks to which Riker is reacting that are not present on either of the English language tracks. Apparently this subtle audio element was missed in the 7.1 master, which was then down mixed to create the English Stereo 2.0. This suggests that the foreign language tracks are from the original broadcast master, and the English Stereo 2.0 is not. I believe the DVD audio track for Night Terrors includes the creaks.
I was watching this episode again, I think you caught an error, not sure if it was newly made or if they went by some master that had this error, whether that be the original broadcast master or DVD master. I think this would have been caught if season 4 had been done by CBS instead of outsourced.
Old 11-04-2014, 01:07 AM   #2543
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2013
California

I know some people said there were some glitches on this set how do I tell if mine has it?
TV: Panasonic TC-P42S60/Samsung 4K UHD 50 in .
VIZIO S4251w-B4 5.1 Soundbar
PSN ID: beatlemania63
Minnesota Vikings Fan
UV Codes For Sale!!
Old 11-04-2014, 01:09 AM   #2544
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw89 View Post
I know some people said there were some glitches on this set how do I tell if mine has it?
Fixed version has a yellow UPC code.
Old 11-23-2014, 04:47 PM   #2545
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2009
Louisville, KY

Now just $20 for the whole first season at amzn. What a steal! +++ If you were waiting until this got crazy-cheap, now's your time....
Old 11-23-2014, 10:43 PM   #2546
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2010
USA

YEEEEEES! I just pulled the trigger and clicked on ORDER NOW as son as I saw that price. Grab while it's low, it isn't going to stay that way.
Thanks given by:
benbess (11-24-2014)
Old 11-23-2014, 10:52 PM   #2547
Expert Member

Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneWayFilms View Post
YEEEEEES! I just pulled the trigger and clicked on ORDER NOW as son as I saw that price. Grab while it's low, it isn't going to stay that way.
The other seasons are priced great as well right now. Just pulled the trigger on Seasons 1-6. Grand total was $175.21 which comes out to $29.20 a season.
Thanks given by:
benbess (11-24-2014)
Old 11-24-2014, 02:25 AM   #2548
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2011
Angel Grove, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmishParadise View Post
The other seasons are priced great as well right now. Just pulled the trigger on Seasons 1-6. Grand total was $175.21 which comes out to $29.20 a season.
Season 3 dropped in price, did you get it for the cheaper 26.xx price or for 31.xx?
Looking for the following:
UV:
- Game of Thrones: Season 1
Disk:
- Game of Thrones: Season 1: HBO Shop Bonus Disk
Movie:
Jaws DigiBook
300 DigiBook
Old 11-24-2014, 02:33 AM   #2549
Expert Member

Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaineKinetic View Post
Season 3 dropped in price, did you get it for the cheaper 26.xx price or for 31.xx?
Yes. Well for $27.26 anyway.
Old 11-24-2014, 03:08 AM   #2550
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2011
Angel Grove, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmishParadise View Post
Yes. Well for $27.26 anyway.
This is why I hate amazon. they change the prices way too often and way too fast
Looking for the following:
UV:
- Game of Thrones: Season 1
Disk:
- Game of Thrones: Season 1: HBO Shop Bonus Disk
Movie:
Jaws DigiBook
300 DigiBook
Old 03-02-2015, 03:01 AM   #2551

Aug 2013
USA

Quote:

I decided to watch on netflix & the blu-ray, as netflix still has the same low quality as the DVDs...you are correct, the old netflix version has the sounds, as do the foreign language tracks (I only checked one), the English stereo 2.0 does indeed seem to be down mixed from the 7.1 master instead of from the original broadcast. It's too bad they missed this, the scene would not make sense if someone were seeing it for the first time. It's hard to imagine how they missed this. I would also be interested in finding out what happened to using the original broadcast master for the 2.0 audio. Perhaps they found that they couldn't use it directly as they were taking all the various original parts and putting them together again essentially creating a new master (edit) for HD, thus the sound might not line up exactly the same way. To use the original broadcast sound mix for the re-edited master, in my mind, would seem to be more of a challenge to align to the new edit than to just down mix the new audio.

(FYI, the episode we are referring to is from disc 4 of season 4)
Old 06-02-2015, 09:14 PM   #2552
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Little Rock, AR

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
Fixed version has a yellow UPC code.
Just got my used copy from GoHastings. It doesn't have the yellow UPC, but it has red Starfleet symbols on the spine and both sides of the slip, plus a Starfleet symbol next to "Disc One", etc. on each disc; posts on the page before claim those are also fixed. Is that correct?
BD players: PS3 Slim 250GB; Sherwood BDP-5004 (region-free); HP P7-1010 (w/ LG WH12LS38K, AMD HD 6570, Hanns-G HL227, Altec Lansing 2.1 speakers, PDVD 14)
A/V hardware: Vizio E3D320VX 3DTV; Sony HT-SS380; Chromecast; Radiient HDMI switch; Nook HD; Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4; Amazon Fire Phone; Moto G; iPhone 3GS
-----------------
Avatar: Vivien Leigh's Gone with the Wind Oscar, my own photo taken in 2011 at Little Rock's Historic Arkansas Museum.
Old 06-02-2015, 09:28 PM   #2553
Expert Member

Oct 2013
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBBrittain View Post
Just got my used copy from GoHastings. It doesn't have the yellow UPC, but it has red Starfleet symbols on the spine and both sides of the slip, plus a Starfleet symbol next to "Disc One", etc. on each disc; posts on the page before claim those are also fixed. Is that correct?
As long as the logo is on the discs you're good to go.
Thanks given by:
RBBrittain (06-02-2015)
Old 08-27-2015, 04:38 PM   #2554

Aug 2013
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by benji888578 View Post
I decided to watch on netflix & the blu-ray, as netflix still has the same low quality as the DVDs...you are correct, the old netflix version has the sounds, as do the foreign language tracks (I only checked one), the English stereo 2.0 does indeed seem to be down mixed from the 7.1 master instead of from the original broadcast. It's too bad they missed this, the scene would not make sense if someone were seeing it for the first time. It's hard to imagine how they missed this. I would also be interested in finding out what happened to using the original broadcast master for the 2.0 audio. Perhaps they found that they couldn't use it directly as they were taking all the various original parts and putting them together again essentially creating a new master (edit) for HD, thus the sound might not line up exactly the same way. To use the original broadcast sound mix for the re-edited master, in my mind, would seem to be more of a challenge to align to the new edit than to just down mix the new audio.

(FYI, the episode we are referring to is from disc 4 of season 4)
now that Netflix is streaming the new streaming HD version CBS has taken from the BD masters, looks like this is fixed, along with a few other things: http://trekcore.com/blog/2015/08/net...rek-tng-in-hd/
Old 08-27-2015, 05:47 PM   #2555
Blu-ray Baron

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Interesting tidbit in the updated article about how the season one replacement program cost CBS a shedload of money, that probably didn't help with their final assessment of the sales performance of the TNG BDs in general.

edit: And I see Kaine is spreading his FUD on there just as he is on Shout's facebook page about Hackers. Jeez, and you people think I'm a whinger...

Last edited by Geoff D; 08-27-2015 at 05:51 PM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America