Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Bridge of Spies (Blu-ray)
$8.99
16 hrs ago
Mr. Robot: Season 3.0 (Blu-ray)
$14.99

The Finest Hours (Blu-ray)
$8.99

Tombstone (Blu-ray)
$8.99

Avatar The Last Airbender: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Zodiac (Blu-ray)
$5.34
15 hrs ago
A Few Good Men 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

The Dark Crystal 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Fury 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Death Wish (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Pitch Perfect 3 (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Bram Stoker's Dracula 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 02-11-2011, 06:18 PM   #21
Blu-ray Baron

Oct 2009
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris Lugosi View Post
I'm guessing it will be in 1:33, as I'm pretty sure that was the way it was filmed. That was definitely how it was screened when theatrically released, as well as the VHS home video. I wouldn't mind if it was in a widescreen format, so long as we don't lose any of the current versions' picture.

Phil Rudd, no question.

I used to be in an AC/DC tribute band, and I can hear, easily & immediately, the difference between Rudd and Slade. Rudd is much more "organic" sounding and is a much heavier hitter than Slade. I was happy as all hell when Rudd returned to the band. Rudd's always going to have that drum sound that musicians connect to the AC/DC sound, and Slade was okay, but he never could quite pull that off.
agree, I think Slade was more of a prog-rock type of drummer, his style fitted perfectly when hw was member of Manfred Mann's Earth Band.
he was also good w/ The Firm.
Old 02-12-2011, 01:05 AM   #22
Contributor

Dec 2008
East Coast, USA

Excellent news! I have not seen this since an old UK PAL VHS, so I will definitely be looking forward to it. Wonderful to see some new extras for it, too.

Also, for those worried, I'm almost certain this had to be remastered from film elements in the first place, and that was part of what kept it off DVD until now, so the PQ should look very good, even if the material is a little worn.
"You might very well think that; I couldn't possibly comment."

Last edited by McCrutchy; 02-12-2011 at 01:09 AM.
Old 02-12-2011, 01:27 AM   #23
Contributor

Dec 2008
East Coast, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheManInBlu View Post
Any idea of the aspect ratio of this? The Stones' and Zeppelin's 70s shows on Blu were in widescreen so I'm hoping this is as well and not a 1:33 ratio...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris Lugosi View Post
I'm guessing it will be in 1:33, as I'm pretty sure that was the way it was filmed. That was definitely how it was screened when theatrically released, as well as the VHS home video. I wouldn't mind if it was in a widescreen format, so long as we don't lose any of the current versions' picture.
I believe I read it was shown in 1.33:1.

The WBShop pre-order says: "4x3 full frame".

$34.95 right now.
Old 02-12-2011, 02:21 AM   #24
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
San Antonio

Everyone! There's a promotion if you pre-order.

34.95-8.74(promotion)= 26.21
26.21+5(shipping)+2.14(tax)=33.35 (total)

I haven't pre-ordered yet because I'm going to leave it in my shopping cart for several days to see if I can get a promo code.
Old 02-12-2011, 03:10 AM   #25

Feb 2009
Carson City, NV

I grew up listening to hard rock/metal, and it's what made me pick up the guitar. But after playing for over 20 years and having my musical outlook broadened, I can't stand most of the music I used to listed to.

AC/DC on the other hand, especially old stuff from the Bon Scott years, still gets me excited whenever I hear it. I can't wait for this blu-ray.

As soon as I saw this thread, I put in my Plug Me In dvd.
Old 02-12-2011, 03:20 AM   #26

Feb 2011

Day 1 purchase for me.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:25 AM   #27
Site Manager

Aug 2006
USiberia
Default Amazon pre-order

AC/DC: Let There Be Rock Blu-ray
Old 02-18-2011, 12:22 PM   #28
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
San Antonio

Thats cool, at least the price went down a little bit. I probably won't pre-order until its a week away from its street date.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:22 PM   #29
Contributor

Dec 2008
East Coast, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-ray Fanatic View Post
Thats cool, at least the price went down a little bit. I probably won't pre-order until its a week away from its street date.
$31.49 is a bit much from Amazon. I did pre-order, and I will grin and bear it to have this on release day, but I would love to see this drop to at least $24.99 before release.

I've loved AC/DC since I was a kid, but a lot of things they've brought out since their revived media interest with the Black Ice album and tour has been bloated with chintzy or cheap extras. I actually bought the Limited Edition Backtracks set because it was advertised as a working amp, but the design is a giant faux cardboard amp, and the "real" amp is tiny and concealed in the slip-on (and slip-off ) top piece. All I wanted was the music, but the standard edition shorted you a CD of live performances, so I ended up re-selling the Amp set on eBay after I burned the CDs.

Then we had the Iron Man 2 "soundtrack" which was all previously-released studio tracks, music-wise (and apparently only two AC/DC songs are in the movie).

Now, we have this rather dubious-looking "steel tin", and if it's as cheaply made as the Black Ice steel tin editions from around the world, then I'm going to be disappointed. Hopefully Warner (with this, their sole AC/DC property) has put some care into the quality of the materials, both in terms of packaging, and quality extras.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:52 PM   #30
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2010
Burbank, California

Awesome news! I can't wait to get this!

I got to see them live last year in San Jose and it was the most awesome experience ever!
RIP Navster, My SF Giants Compadre. So long, and thanks for all the fish.

"Movies can and do have tremendous influence in shaping young lives in the realm of entertainment towards the ideals and objectives of normal adulthood."
Walt Disney
Follow me:
Twitter: @pj_campbell/Instagram: pj_campbell/Podcast: Reel Film Chatter
Old 05-25-2011, 08:19 PM   #31
Site Manager

Aug 2006
USiberia

AC/DC: Let There Be Rock Blu-ray Review
Old 05-25-2011, 11:29 PM   #32
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2008
Dagobah

Boy do these screencaps look horrible!

I don't think I'll buy this if it looks like this.

It looks DNRd to death.

What a pity!
When are they gonna release these movies on BD?:Crossroads (W. Hill; Steve Vai),Fun with Dick & Jane (Jim Carrey, Tea L.), Man on the Moon (Jim C.),Diana Krall-LiveattheMontrealJ.F., Alien Autopsy,Dangerous Lives of Alter Boys (Jodie Foster),Housesitter(Steve M., Goldie H.),Bowfinger (S. M.), Shopgirl (S. M.),OutofTowners (S.M.),Spanglish,Odd Couple 2 (Jack L., Walter M.),Wallace and Gromit-The Curse of the Were-Rabbit,
Old 06-01-2011, 12:19 PM   #33
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2011

Did they use a SD video source for this? I mean, there'd been rumors years ago about the original film elements being lost, and that was why it didn't come out on DVD (well, until now).
Old 06-03-2011, 11:32 PM   #34

Jun 2011
Summerville, SC
Send a message via Yahoo to southall

Bon Scott of course!
Old 06-08-2011, 03:42 AM   #35
Power Member

Apr 2008
Thumbs up

Just got this set in the mail today. Wow! What a nice little collector set. Brings back memories. Have not had time to watch the disc yet. Hope I get some time real soon.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:00 PM   #36
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2008

It's definitely sourced from film, and some of the shots with more light and color look wonderful, particularly when the camera is locked off. They were clearly using some kind of temporal smoother on the film. Yes, it's been degrained mercilessly, but if the history of this release has any truth to it, this may be a case where the elements were in such poor, perhaps dire shape that massive digital manipulation was needed to make them presentable. In that case, you have two choices: soft or crap.

The original "The Hills Have Eyes" is a perfect example. That film will always look either monstrously damaged or digitally smoothed.

The DTS-MA 5.1 track is nice, but the vocals don't seem to have the same presence that they have on the original track. Sadly, the original soundtrack was given a paltry 192k 2.0 DD track recycled from the DVD. With the space available, there wasn't a good excuse for that. Just a 448k 2.0 track would have sufficed.

Also, Warner has again used AVC here, like they did on Lolita and Barry Lyndon. Are they off VC-1 for good?

Last edited by Lyle_JP; 06-08-2011 at 05:05 PM.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:08 PM   #37

Dec 2010

Very disappointing about lack of original audio in lossless format. Damn near inexcusable for a music title.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:26 PM   #38
Power Member

Apr 2008
Thumbs up

I got a chance to listen to this disk yesterday. I was blown away by the sound first and foremost. Great wide open sound stage and a great low end sound. My Velodyne optimum 12 got a fairly good workout as well.

Now much has been written about the PQ. The picture looked really good on my 60 inch Kuro Elite. Not the eye candy of recent concert releases but still pretty damn good. Perhaps the fact that I had not seen this film since 1983 could have had something to do with my impression but not to totally bag on the transfer at all. AC/DC at the time did not have the kind of money they have now.

If you are on the fence about getting this disk and are an AC/DC fan jump off the fence and get it. Seeing Bon Scott and the boys is a real experience that is worth the price of admission for this great collector set.

For the casual fan give it a rent at least just to see how the maniacal energy that is captured as AC/DC is at the top of their game.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:16 PM   #39
Special Member

Dec 2010
Oklahoma

Because of the audio issues, price difference and less than stellar video reviews I did something I didn't think I'd ever do. I went with the SD DVD at WM for $13 although a BR is available. Had I had an option of a bare bones BR for $20 I probably would have done that. I just couldn't justify the price difference for a few extra things I wasn't interested in anyway. Flame away
So far I'm happy with my choice.
Display:Samsung 65" LED A/V Receiver: Yamaha RX-V667 / Behringer A500 Mains: Genesis Physics Model 10 Center: DIY / (2) Human Speakers 8" 2 ohm Woofers, HS Crossover, Genesis Physics Tweeter in 1.5 cu. ft. Surrounds: (4) Yamaha NSIW480C Subs: (2) Creative Sound Solutions SD12 in (2) 4.9 cube slot port tuned to 19 Hz powered by Crown 802D / ED EQ.2 plus (2) CSS SDX 10 in (2) .9 cube sealed powered by Crown XLS 1500 Blu-ray player: Sony BDP-S590 DVD/DVD-A/SACD: Pioneer DV-610AV-K
Old 06-14-2011, 11:23 PM   #40

May 2009

Does anyone know if this LTD Steel Tin edition is being released in the UK. I've checked all of the major UK sites hmv.com, play.com etc and they are all listing the 1 disc standard edition only. Amazon.co.uk are the same but also have the Steel Tin edition as a Region A US import only.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America