Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Suicide Squad: Hell to Pay (Blu-ray)
£12.99
The 15:17 to Paris (Blu-ray)
£14.99
War for the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
£8.00
Blood Simple (Blu-ray)
£8.99
Tom of Finland (Blu-ray)
£8.99
Django, Kill... If You Live, Shoot! (Blu-ray)
£8.99
Cold Blooded Beast (Blu-ray)
£8.99
The Brave Archer (Blu-ray)
£8.99
Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
£9.99
The LEGO Movie 4K (Blu-ray)
£7.49
Ghost in the Shell 3D (Blu-ray)
£9.99
Orchestra Rehearsal (Blu-ray)
£14.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland

Old 02-15-2017, 04:57 PM   #1601

Feb 2011
USA

I'm sure it has been asked many times, but I apologize as I didnt see it answered in my brief look...what is the difference/s between the region A masterpiece edition and the region free?

TIA

edit-
looks like no NxNW and it's cheaper?

damn, NxNW so good thoe

Last edited by santasangria; 02-15-2017 at 05:03 PM.
Old 02-15-2017, 05:31 PM   #1602
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2010
Charlotte, NC
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by santasangria View Post
I'm sure it has been asked many times, but I apologize as I didnt see it answered in my brief look...what is the difference/s between the region A masterpiece edition and the region free?

TIA

edit-

damn, NxNW so good thoe
NxNW was given special permission by Warner to be in the US Universal boxset is exchange for rights to a Universal release (Spartacus in the US Warner Kubrick boxset I think). The US boxset also has a different packaging style with the book style pages where the discs slide into the thick cardboard pages (some like, some hate it). It still much cheaper just to get the UK boxset adn buy NxNW separately or in the 3 pack Collection (with Dial M and Stranger on a Train). There was a second Limited Edition "Ultimate" UK that included NxNW and Paramount;s To Catch a Thief.

I had already bought the nice US Digibook of North By Northwest so it was a pretty easy choice to save the extra dollars for the UK Masterpiece set -- though in the end I ordered the original Limited Edition acrylic case set. Very nice looking but really pretty inpractical.
Thanks given by:
santasangria (02-20-2017)
Old 02-16-2017, 01:30 AM   #1603
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by santasangria View Post

TIA

edit-

damn, NxNW so good thoe
The UK discs of PSYCHO and VERTIGO are different too.

Vertigo - UK disc drops the original mono audio, only has the modern remixed audio

Psycho - original audio is lossless, unlike US release, and UK also adds a bonus episode Alfred Hitchcock Presents
Thanks given by:
santasangria (02-20-2017)
Old 02-16-2017, 01:33 AM   #1604
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Also note that the disc of NxNW included in the US boxset is not identical to the standalone commercial US disc, it drops the isolated score audio track. You could be better off just buying the UK set and buying NxNW separately, unless you MUST have the original audio on Vertigo, like me.
Old 02-16-2017, 01:39 AM   #1605
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2010
Charlotte, NC
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Luckard View Post
Also note that the disc of NxNW included in the US boxset is not identical to the standalone commercial US disc, it drops the isolated score audio track. You could be better off just buying the UK set and buying NxNW separately, unless you MUST have the original audio on Vertigo, like me.
Probably still substantially cheaper to buy the Uk Masterpiece set and the US Vertigo disc with intact Mono separately unless you have to have an identical set and no repeats

Last edited by hariseldon; 02-16-2017 at 01:44 AM.
Old 02-16-2017, 01:45 AM   #1606
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by hariseldon View Post
Probably still substantially cheaper to buy the Uk Masterpiece set and the US Vertigo disc with intact Mono separately unless you have to have an identical set and no repeats
Ah, good point, I forgot the American Vertigo disc is available on its own now, it wasn't available outside the boxset for a long time.
Old 02-16-2017, 01:50 AM   #1607
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2010
Charlotte, NC
-
-
-

I think I may have misposted about the different package designs. It appears teh UK set has a similar style disc keeping as the US set. I must have been thinking of either ALiens or the Monsters set which had significant differences in the way the discs are held in place.

Luckily teh standalone 2014 release makes the decision much easier though the New Vertigo soundtrack I think is much better experience than the original track (other than for the sake of have the original of course), but the extra 50-60 goes a long way. Now that you've pushed that button, I may end up having to pick up Vertigo at some point now and here I was perfectly happy with my current Hitchcocks esp with Lifeboat coming out here finally.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland