COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Dark Knight Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$38.99
The Legend of Billie Jean (Blu-ray)
$5.19
Little House on the Prairie: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$189.99
Man of Steel Exclusive Action Figure Gift Set (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Man of Steel Limited Collector's Edition (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Freezing: Anime Classics Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$22.99
The Wolf of Wall Street (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Los Angeles Kings: 2014 Stanley Cup Champions (Blu-ray)
$18.99
God's Not Dead (Blu-ray)
$17.29
To Love Ru Darkness: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.49
Nymphomaniac: Volumes I and II (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Hercules 3D (Blu-ray)
$24.99
X-Men and the Wolverine Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (Blu-ray)
$22.99
The Swimmer (Blu-ray)
$20.08
My Week with Marilyn (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns (Blu-ray)
$11.99
24: Live Another Day (Blu-ray)
$39.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 05-23-2009, 01:14 AM   #1

May 2009
Talking Are Blu-ray packages getting ugly? And can we lose the blue now?

Hello, this is a forum for discussing why the packaging on BluRay movies is so garish? I was wondering if it was just me or do any of you feel that the blue cases and color schemes of Blu-ray covers themselves are tiresome.

I was looking at the Disney BR's and thought about how ugly it was all becoming. WALL-E, Sleeping Beauty, Narnia, Pinocchio, all of them have predominately blue packaging. Not just blue, but the same shade of Blue. This morning I see that Snow White will be released on BR in October and... would you look at that?... it also will be blue. Can we please stop this trend now before they ruin the cover to Lion King Blu-Ray. I just can't see a Lion King that boasts proud orange and brown and defiant red... and that same stupid blue strip on top. And imagine The Jungle Book? I'm loathing the idea of cracking open the packaging and seeing the discs sitting in that tacky blue case.

I was happy to hear that Amadeus and One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest would be bucking the trend by releasing the movies in digibook cases. But when I finally got them, I was disappointed to see that same blue friend of mine sitting right on top; a blue strip that throws the cover's color scheme off.

Criterion (always a company with a proper eye for art) has forsaken the overpowering blue cases for clear trays and digipacks, a move I applaud. And The Incredible Hulk has ditched his blue cage in favor of a Green one. Very nice.

Can we lose the Blue packaging now? Or maybe companies can make it somehow removable, or a good solution would be to start coloring the cellophane plastic blue and leaving the movie inside untouched.

Seriously, we as a consumer get it. Blu-ray is here to stay and we look for the higher quality version on instinct. We don't need a neon sign to point us in the right direction and as most of us on the internet know, we buy our movies online anyway, so it doesn't matter how bright the packaging on the store shelf is.

Blu-ray manufacturers have to know that this trend is close to pointless now and we must start up a new way or else the "sameness" will become a liability and detriment to future releases. Maybe someone high-up will read this thread and dream up a better way.

If anyone else agrees please chime in. What movies look unforgivable in BluRay packaging? (Godfather comes to mind) Which ones look good? How can we change? Do you want a change?

Last edited by MasterKaga; 05-23-2009 at 06:29 PM.
Old 05-23-2009, 01:21 AM   #2

Mar 2008
Portland, Oregon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterKaga View Post
Hello, this is a forum for discussing why the packaging on BluRay movies is so garish? I was wondering if it was just me or do any of you feel that the blue cases and color schemes of Blu-ray covers themselves are tiresome.

I was looking at the Disney BR's and thought about how ugly it was all becoming. WALL-E, Sleeping Beauty, Narnia, Pinocchio, all of them have predominately blue packaging. Not just blue, but the same shade of Blue. This morning I see that Snow White will be released on BR in October and... would you look at that?... it also will be blue. Can we please stop this trend now before they ruin the cover to Lion King Blu-Ray. I just can't see a Lion King that boasts proud orange and brown and defiant red... and that same stupid blue strip on top. And imagine The Jungle Book? I'm loathing the idea of cracking open the packaging and seeing the discs sitting in that tacky blue case.

I was happy to hear that Amadeus and One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest would be bucking the trend by releasing the movies in digibook cases but when I finally got them I was disappointed to see that same blue friend of mine sitting right on top; a blue strip that throws the cover's color scheme off.

Criterion (always a company with a proper eye for art) has forsaken the overpowering blue cases for clear trays and digipacks, a move I applaud. And The Incredible Hulk has ditched his blue cage in favor of a Green one. Very nice.

Can we lose the Blue packaging now? Or maybe companies can make it somehow removable, or a good solution would be to start coloring the cellophane plastic blue and leaving the movie inside untouched.

Seriously, we as a consumer get it. BluRay is here to stay and we look for the higher quality version on instinct. We don't need a neon sign to point us in the right direction and as most of us on the internet know, we buy our movies online anyway, so it doesn't matter how bright the packaging on the store shelf is.

Blu-ray manufacturers have to know that this trend is close to pointless now and we must start up a new way or else the "sameness" will become a liability and detriment to future releases. Maybe someone high-up will read this thread and dream up a better way.

If anyone else agrees please chime in. What movies look unforgivable in BluRay packaging? (Godfather comes to mind) Which ones look good? How can we change? Do you want a change?
Wall of text crits for 99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 999999999999999999999999999999999999
damage.
Old 05-23-2009, 01:27 AM   #3

May 2009

Realy? the most insanely idiotic thing you ever heard? Have you ever tried listening to people promote Scientology?

Seriously, my friends and I all agree that the cases of Blu-ray movies are too cheap and too tacky to continue. I will just chalk you up for the blu team then.

I'm considering buying nothing but exclusive steelbooks from now on.
Old 05-23-2009, 01:30 AM   #4

Jun 2008
CT

Quote:
too cheap and too tacky
Tacky? I thought blu goes with everything?
Old 05-23-2009, 01:30 AM   #5
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2008
Folsom, CA

It's not a trend. A format called Blu-ray was released. The Blu-ray discs come in nice, new, cool-looking cases; a fresh look coming from the dull black DVD cases. That's it. If you have some visual OCD thing or don't like the color blue, then don't store your movies in the Blu-ray cases.
Samsung LN46A650 - Onkyo TX-SR805
80GB PS3 - Elemental Designs A2-300
Polk Monitor 70's - Polk CS2 - Polk Monitor 40's

(PSN: tbizzle0) - my blu/PS3 trade thread
Old 05-23-2009, 01:31 AM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008
Santa Cruz, California
Send a message via AIM to brettallica

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryandubbz View Post
MasterKaga, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this thread is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Never a bad time for a Billy Madison quote.
TV: Samsung 50" PN50A550 1080p Plasma
Blu-ray Player: Sony BDP-S550 // DVD: Sony RDR-VX515 DVD Recorder/VCR Combo
A/V Receiver: STR-DG920 7.1 Audio/Video Receiver
Speakers: Center — Polk CS-1 / Fronts — Polk Monitor 60 / Surrounds and Sub — SA-FT1H 5.1
Programming: HR-22 DirecTV HD DVR with AM-21 OTA Add-on and DirecTV SD box for PIP
Gaming: Wii and XBOX 360
HTPC: Dell SX260 (emulators, Netflix, and streaming audio and video from server)
The Blu-ray Mini Marquee — NOW AVAILABLE →
Old 05-23-2009, 01:32 AM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2009
Trapped on the Death Star

I love the blu. It makes them stand out on my shelf apart from the regular dvds. I would like a few of them to be different colors like the Hulk case, but only on special occasions. The artwork can be different, no need to change the cases.
"You might not be able to fight like a samurai, but you can at least die like a samurai." O-Ren Ishii
Old 05-23-2009, 01:36 AM   #8
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2007
Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse757x View Post
Tacky? I thought blu goes with everything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rblu-Dblu View Post
I love the blu. It makes them stand out on my shelf apart from the regular dvds. I would like a few of them to be different colors like the Hulk case, but only on special occasions. The artwork can be different, no need to change the cases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullPhyre View Post
Wall of text crits for 99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 999999999999999999999999999999999999
damage.:
(

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbizzle View Post
It's not a trend. A format called Blu-ray was released. The Blu-ray discs come in nice, new, cool-looking cases; a fresh look coming from the dull black DVD cases. That's it. If you have some visual OCD thing or don't like the color blue, then don't store your movies in the Blu-ray cases.

If i were to respond only using the smiles i would say:

That means that i disagree with you.... IMAO, I really like the blu cases. I have no complaints. If anything, it only helps the movies match on the shelf. I think they should keep going with the cases they make now. I support blu, which i why i also made all the text bold and blu.
Blind Buy Count: 213
PSN ID: cvm0305

Sometimes we hear of people who are “very” honest, “mostly” honest, or even “a little” honest.
Should we even use modifiers with the word honest? I don’t believe so. There are no degrees of honesty. Either we are honest or we aren't.

Last edited by cvm; 05-23-2009 at 01:41 AM.
Old 05-23-2009, 01:40 AM   #9

Jan 2007

I actually like the Godfather case. My only complaint is that the book they included is too tall to fit in the slipcover with the case. What the hell?
Old 05-23-2009, 01:43 AM   #10
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008
Santa Cruz, California
Send a message via AIM to brettallica

I actually see where the OP is coming from with this. I can't say I agree 100%, but I get it. I don't really see a better solution to the "problem," though, as if you're going to make them uniform; why not make them blue? DVD cases are already black (and contrary to popular opinion, also cheap), so a color had to be chosen.

What color would be best, MasterKaga? White?
TV: Samsung 50" PN50A550 1080p Plasma
Blu-ray Player: Sony BDP-S550 // DVD: Sony RDR-VX515 DVD Recorder/VCR Combo
A/V Receiver: STR-DG920 7.1 Audio/Video Receiver
Speakers: Center — Polk CS-1 / Fronts — Polk Monitor 60 / Surrounds and Sub — SA-FT1H 5.1
Programming: HR-22 DirecTV HD DVR with AM-21 OTA Add-on and DirecTV SD box for PIP
Gaming: Wii and XBOX 360
HTPC: Dell SX260 (emulators, Netflix, and streaming audio and video from server)
The Blu-ray Mini Marquee — NOW AVAILABLE →
Old 05-23-2009, 01:44 AM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2009
Northern CA.
Thumbs up

I really like the color of bluray cases, there much batter then old dvd's, hope they will not change anything thing on it, it look good!! 394 blu still going strong.
Samsung - LN52A650
Sony PS3 Slim 120GB, Slim 320GB.
Panasonic DMP-BD65
Onkyo HT-S6200
Old 05-23-2009, 01:46 AM   #12
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2007
San Antonio, TX

OP, I agee that they should begin using different color cases ala The Incredible Hulk as the need for distinction between any two formats is no longer needed with HD DVD being long dead and BD slowly creeping up towards DVD. But what I thought you meant when I read the thread title were fugly butt coverart and slip covers for movies like the new T2 edition. That is just god awful design.
Old 05-23-2009, 01:51 AM   #13
Power Member

Jun 2008

Just be grateful the laser's color isn't pink. Can you imagine the attack on your masculinity all these pink cases would have?

Seriously though, I don't have a problem with the predominance of blue in the covers. If anything, I like it since it helps uniformity and helps them distinguish from DVD and HDDVD.
Old 05-23-2009, 01:51 AM   #14
Banned

Oct 2006
Kentwood, Michigan
Send a message via Yahoo to GGX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryandubbz View Post
MasterKaga, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this thread is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
A simple no would've done just fine.
Old 05-23-2009, 01:55 AM   #15

Aug 2008
In the Rocky Mountains of Colorado

The only thing I don't like about the cases are the cheap build. The blue doesn't bother me but if you drop the case it is almost guaranteed to break. Other than that I do like the blu!
Old 05-23-2009, 02:02 AM   #16
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2009
Northern CA.
yep cheap build, few of my shipped from amzon well packed and cracked.
Samsung - LN52A650
Sony PS3 Slim 120GB, Slim 320GB.
Panasonic DMP-BD65
Onkyo HT-S6200
Old 05-23-2009, 02:07 AM   #17
Banned

Oct 2006
Kentwood, Michigan
Send a message via Yahoo to GGX

Quote:
Realy? the most insanely idiotic thing you ever heard? Have you ever tried listening to people promote Scientology?
lol that went RIGHT OVER your head.
Old 05-23-2009, 02:15 AM   #18
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2006
Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettallica View Post
Never a bad time for a Billy Madison quote.
Ah, I knew it sounded familiar! Good one!
Old 05-23-2009, 02:16 AM   #19

May 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbizzle View Post
I thought of doing that and wish I could, but the sleeves are sized only for a blu-ray case. And of course the slipcases on some of them are too small as well. Believe me I would've done it a long time ago.

But even then, there is still my issue with the cover art itself. Disney seems like it is creating cover art and spines in the color blue only and I really want them to slow down on the blue. Some see this as uniformity. I see this as monotony.
Old 05-23-2009, 02:38 AM   #20

May 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajmoyper View Post
OP, I agee that they should begin using different color cases ala The Incredible Hulk as the need for distinction between any two formats is no longer needed with HD DVD being long dead and BD slowly creeping up towards DVD. But what I thought you meant when I read the thread title were fugly butt coverart and slip covers for movies like the new T2 edition. That is just god awful design.
Oh God, you're right. I never thought they could top themselves with butt fugly box art after releasing T2: The Extreme Edition... but *sniff* they did...
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America