COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Marilyn Monroe: Classic Nine-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Halloween: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$109.99
The Doctor and the Devils (Blu-ray)
$8.99
Snowpiercer (Blu-ray)
$14.96
Defiance: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$37.99
Spartacus: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$80.76
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Arrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Titanic 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.98
Fargo: Season One (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Rio 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Zodiac (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Megamind 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.70
The Legend of Korra - Book One: Air (Blu-ray)
$14.22
Hannibal: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$27.99
Captain America: The First Avenger (Blu-ray)
$19.96
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Blu-ray)
$19.96
American Horror Story: Coven (Blu-ray)
$39.99
The Nutty Professor: 50th Anniversary (Blu-ray)
$8.69

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 05-23-2009, 04:28 PM   #1
Power Member

Jan 2008
Independent Republic Of Scotland
Default Patton Is Not A DNR Disaster

There have been few people commenting on the cleanness of Patton sighting it as a DNR Disaster.

Yes it is very clean and shiny with only a mild bit of print damage most of it in the credits at the begging yet.

But the true product of over DNR softness was not present.

There was lot and i mean a lot of detail and fantastic colours. Textures and skin tones are near flawless given most of the film is set in some rather hot places there wasn't one overlay red face.

I can't remember Patton personally being a very grainy film any way. Given almost 98% is shot in broad daylight might explain that.

Patton is one the greatest films of all time with one of the best Blu-ray transfers for a back catalogue title.

Don't listen to the naysayers buy this and you won't regret it. Especially if you have a nice sound system as well.
WARNING:Never trust a pretty girl on Blu-ray forums as 99.9% of the time there ugly guys
Old 05-23-2009, 04:39 PM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2009
The Jungle Room

here we go again
BD Wantlist: 1. Le Samouraļ 2. Ikiru 3. Nights of Cabiria 4. La Strada 5. The Burbs 6. Murder By Death 7. Hooper 8. The Abyss 9. True Lies 10. The Little Princess 11. Love Affair (1994) 12. Into the Night 13. The Remains of the Day 14. The Gumball Rally 15. The Magnificent Ambersons 16. Urban Cowboy 17. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance 18. Blame it on Rio 19. Under the Rainbow 20. The Pirate Movie

A Guide to Film Noir Genre ~ Roger Ebert
Old 05-23-2009, 04:46 PM   #3
Tattoo King

Apr 2008
Irvine, CA PSN ID WinterShrinkage

If you cant comment by saying something constructive, dont comment at all. You havent been here that long so I dont know how you could be "going again"
"A girl touched my mouse recently and made both my trackballs react, it's quite sensitive apparently." -Teabaggins

FOREVER A BRGC OG MEMBER
Old 05-23-2009, 04:48 PM   #4
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007
PSN Network: Aygie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyK94 View Post
There have been few people commenting on the cleanness of Patton sighting it as a DNR Disaster.

Yes it is very clean and shiny with only a mild bit of print damage most of it in the credits at the begging yet.

But the true product of over DNR softness was not present.

There was lot and i mean a lot of detail and fantastic colours. Textures and skin tones are near flawless given most of the film is set in some rather hot places there wasn't one overlay red face.

I can't remember Patton personally being a very grainy film any way. Given almost 98% is shot in broad daylight might explain that.

Patton is one the greatest films of all time with one of the best Blu-ray transfers for a back catalogue title.

Don't listen to the naysayers buy this and you won't regret it. Especially if you have a nice sound system as well.
I think the issues were that with a screen over 100"the DNR is very bad, but with a screen say 42" you wouldn't notice. So it depends on what size your tv is.
Sharp Aquos LC42XD1E, Sharp Aquos LC32D65, Onkyo TX-SR805, PS3 250GB HD, PS3 80GB HD, A.E Aego T Speakers, Sky HD
Old 05-23-2009, 04:54 PM   #5
Power Member

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacificvibes View Post
If you cant comment by saying something constructive, dont comment at all. You havent been here that long so I dont know how you could be "going again"
Are you referring to me? I have been here since January last year Mr April
WARNING:Never trust a pretty girl on Blu-ray forums as 99.9% of the time there ugly guys
Old 05-23-2009, 04:55 PM   #6
Tattoo King

Apr 2008
Irvine, CA PSN ID WinterShrinkage

Quote:
Are you referring to me? I have been here since January last year Mr April
hahah no man, read above my first post
"A girl touched my mouse recently and made both my trackballs react, it's quite sensitive apparently." -Teabaggins

FOREVER A BRGC OG MEMBER
Old 05-23-2009, 04:58 PM   #7

Aug 2008

Totally screen dependent. Looks terrific on a 30. On my iPhone it shines and you'd never know it was garbage but there's no grain and i love it.
Old 05-23-2009, 05:00 PM   #8
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
Miami, FL
Send a message via AIM to JJ Send a message via Yahoo to JJ Send a message via Skype™ to JJ

Oh, wow, this brings me back to May of 2008,

Nostalgia is the best,

You know, I've had it since then but have yet to watch it? I'll give it a pop today.
- Orbis non Sufficit
================

Sonus Faber Venere - Epik Empire
Panasonic 65ZT60 - Emotiva XPA-3
Pioneer Elite VSX-03 - Pioneer Elite DV-48 - Sony S790
Old 05-23-2009, 05:01 PM   #9
Banned

Oct 2006
Kentwood, Michigan
Send a message via Yahoo to GGX

How does the OP explain the extremely waxy appearance of actor's faces? Which is a trademark of DNR.
Old 05-23-2009, 05:03 PM   #10

Mar 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGX View Post
How does the OP explain the extremely waxy appearance of actor's faces? Which is a trademark of DNR.
No kidding. I'm watching on 42", and the actors appear as if they're wearing too much makeup.

The beards (shaven, of course) look not like hair, but dark smears.

This really isn't up for argument.
Old 05-23-2009, 05:04 PM   #11
Banned

Oct 2006
Kentwood, Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by space-monkey View Post
This really isn't up for argument.
Agreed. The evidence speaks for itself.

I think this is more of a situation where the OP is defending their purchase to themselves.
Old 05-23-2009, 05:16 PM   #12
The Digital Bits

Jul 2008

The evidence doesn't even have to speak for itself. You're right that it's a fine-grained film, but Fox confirmed that an errant telecine operator turned the DNR dial up to 11, determined to eliminate that little bit of remaining grain. They have since taken steps to ensure it doesn't happen again
Old 05-23-2009, 05:17 PM   #13
Power Member

Jan 2008

Of course it does have some DNR to it but nothing to over the top, But the larger the screen i guess can make it more apparent.

I have a nice 40 inch screen so i guess im not having the same experience as someone with 100 inch screen.

But then the question comes to my mind where these movies mastered to be viewed at 100 inch's or more worth of screen.

They are for home viewing.
Old 05-23-2009, 05:19 PM   #14
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2007
Bronx, New York
Send a message via AIM to saprano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis View Post
here we go again
Pioneer Kuro 151FD|Samung 40"
Pioneer Elite SC-37|Onkyo 705
Def Tech speakers/Def Tech Sub
Oppo BDP-103|PS3 phat 60gig|PS3 slim120gig|APC H15
New Addition -SVS SB13 Ultra
Old 05-23-2009, 05:21 PM   #15
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
Miami, FL
Send a message via AIM to JJ Send a message via Yahoo to JJ Send a message via Skype™ to JJ

Quote:

But then the question comes to my mind where these movies mastered to be viewed at 100 inch's or more worth of screen.

Rusty, there's a flaw in this argument - but I'll let someone else take it, I'm lazy.
- Orbis non Sufficit
================

Sonus Faber Venere - Epik Empire
Panasonic 65ZT60 - Emotiva XPA-3
Pioneer Elite VSX-03 - Pioneer Elite DV-48 - Sony S790
Old 05-23-2009, 05:50 PM   #16
Banned

Oct 2006
Kentwood, Michigan

Quote:
Of course it does have some DNR to it but nothing to over the top
Are you sure we are talking about the same movie?
Old 05-23-2009, 05:51 PM   #17
Special Member

Sep 2007
verge of breakdown

OP, please read this:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread....on#post1921398
Old 05-23-2009, 06:01 PM   #18
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2009
The Jungle Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacificvibes View Post
Ummm because the two other threads on this turned into arguments..thats how come! And what I said WAS constructive! Are you the constructive police?
BD Wantlist: 1. Le Samouraļ 2. Ikiru 3. Nights of Cabiria 4. La Strada 5. The Burbs 6. Murder By Death 7. Hooper 8. The Abyss 9. True Lies 10. The Little Princess 11. Love Affair (1994) 12. Into the Night 13. The Remains of the Day 14. The Gumball Rally 15. The Magnificent Ambersons 16. Urban Cowboy 17. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance 18. Blame it on Rio 19. Under the Rainbow 20. The Pirate Movie

A Guide to Film Noir Genre ~ Roger Ebert

Last edited by Elvis; 05-23-2009 at 06:03 PM.
Old 05-23-2009, 06:51 PM   #19
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2007

Hi. Up until a few days ago, I was one to say that sometimes DNR can make something like Patton look extraordinary...and over my 46 inch screen it did. Incredible pop. But a few days ago, out of curiousity because people were talking about it not being good when blown up onto a big screen, I finally played Patton over my HD projector. I was stunned how much detail washed out. There is a scene where Patton and others are meeting, and Karl Malden's face was very soft, kind of blurry, lacking detail. Even the opening sequence, which I thought looked amazing on my 46" suddenly wasn't great. When Patton starts out talking and he is still a small figure beneath the flag, he is blurry. The flag is sharp, but there is no detail to define him.
Old 05-23-2009, 07:09 PM   #20
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-

Quote:

A film is a film!

And how one chooses to view it has nothing to do with proper mastering. Granted that there is a large group of people who do not seem to differentiate between grain and noise, and another, convinced that noise reduction is always detrimental (which it isn't), Patton is intolerable. Fortunately, as Jeff pointed out above, Fox have taken the proper steps to ensure that such treatments are not approved for release in the future.

Pro-B
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America