Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Willow (Blu-ray)
$9.96
James Cameron's Deepsea Challenge 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.89
Chuck: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$68.17
John Carter (Blu-ray)
$9.96
28 Days Later / 28 Weeks Later (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.95
Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack / Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla (Blu-ray)
$13.59
Game of Thrones - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.76
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.99
Hentai Prince & the Stony Cat: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$32.99
Fairy Tail: Part 11 (Blu-ray)
$31.69
Psycho (Blu-ray)
$10.98
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED
Old 05-24-2009, 08:59 AM   #1

May 2009
Default Sony BDP S350 Internet Problem?

I own a Sony BDP-S350 BluRay player and cannot get it to connect to the internet. When doing Network Update it always gives me the message "Cannot communicate properly with DHCP server." I have gone to Network Settings and it displays my IP Address and Subnet Mask but everything else is dashes. I have it set to Use DHCP and Auto Acquisition. I have Time Warner DSL ethernet with modem in Austin Texas, What else do I need to get this blu ray player to connect to the internet? FYI, I connect the player to the same ethernet cable I use to connect my computer to the internet and it works fine but the Sony player will not connect to internet using same ethernet cable.
Old 05-24-2009, 12:27 PM   #2
Expert Member

Dec 2008

You may want to manually enter the "Default Gateway" and "DNS" information found within your router settings.
Old 05-24-2009, 01:37 PM   #3
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2008
'Western' N.Y. State (MEMBER OF THE "ECPP")

hdtj01,

I have the Sony BDP-S350 player, and it's network connected and runs great.

It sounds like your S350 is configured properly. I'm also assuming that you described a direct, ethernet cable connection to an available port on your router. It's best to go ethernet cable direct, and not try to use any wireless devices attached to your S350.

First off, a quick check of your router's front panel LED display will reveal if the port you connected your ethernet connection to is active - make sure your S350 is powered ON when you do this.

Make sure that your router's DHCP function is turned ON. This way, the router will automatically assign an IP Address for your S350, and no manual configuration will be required.

If you do have DHCP enabled in your router, you can always try rebooting your router, or at least releasing/renewing your DHCP within the router's settings. Then, power off and power on your S350.

By chance, have you tried any BD-Live discs with success?

Lastly, just to be sure, check your wire connection. I once had a loose jack in the router port, and it prevented my S350 from connecting.
Old 05-24-2009, 05:27 PM   #4

May 2009

VERY PAINFULL!!! So I found out how to get all the numbers that the blu ray player wants like IP Address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway, DNS Server (Primary), DNS Server (Secondary). Keep in mind that the player is asking for 12 digit numbers but some of the requested numbers are less. So I guess the remaining numbers are 0. It has to be because if you try to leave the number blank, the player will automatically enter 0. Okay thats fine so I'll enter 0 but the other mystery is that I have the number 24.93.41.127 as my primary DNS Server number that I got from my DOS prompt. This is 9 digits and the blu ray player wants 12 digits so I enter it as 024.093.041.127. IS THIS CORRECT?? DO I JUST PUT ZERO'S?? I have tried putting 0's before and after the numbers 24, 93 and 41 to satisfy the 12 digits that the player wants but whenever I try Network Update on the player, it says to check my DNS numbers are correct and try again. GOTTA LOVE IT!!
Old 05-24-2009, 05:31 PM   #5

May 2009

Yes, the lights blink just fine when the ethernet cable is connected to my laptop and I can get online just fine via laptop but as soon as I disconnect my ethernet and move it 4 feet and connect it to my blu ray player, the player doesn't want to connect to the internet. Shouldn't be this difficult.
Old 05-25-2009, 01:47 PM   #6

May 2009

Well I was reading the Sony manual and it seems like I'm going to need a broadband router in order to connect the blu ray to the internet. GREAT! The player will not just connect directly to a cable modem via ethernet cable, instead, I need a broadband router as the middle man between the cable modem and the blu ray player. You mean to tell me that those geniuses at Sony couldn't figure that someone might want to connect directly to a cable modem via ethernet cable?
Old 05-25-2009, 06:26 PM   #7
Expert Member

Dec 2008

So what would've happened if you bought a Samsung or Panasonic player? You would be in the same boat you're in right now. Rather than complain, go to Walmart, purchase a 40 dollar Router, connect your Player to the internet, and enjoy.
Old 05-25-2009, 11:24 PM   #8

Jan 2009
New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtj01 View Post
I own a Sony BDP-S350 BluRay player and cannot get it to connect to the internet. When doing Network Update it always gives me the message "Cannot communicate properly with DHCP server." I have gone to Network Settings and it displays my IP Address and Subnet Mask but everything else is dashes. I have it set to Use DHCP and Auto Acquisition. I have Time Warner DSL ethernet with modem in Austin Texas, What else do I need to get this blu ray player to connect to the internet? FYI, I connect the player to the same ethernet cable I use to connect my computer to the internet and it works fine but the Sony player will not connect to internet using same ethernet cable.
If you can, have the computer off, reset the modem (or router, or BOTH) and then use the player.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:36 PM   #9

Jun 2009

I am having the same issues connecting my BDP-s350 as hdtj01. I obtained my ip address,subnet mask,def gateway, dns server (primary and secondary.) The cables are plugged into the router correctly, just got the router a couple of days ago and works just fine for my xbox 360 going online as it is plugged into the same set of ports as the blu ray player. I selected "use static ip address" in the menu of the player and have typed all of the numbers I know to be correct. When I run the network diagnostic it says "network is down." I am at a loss. I called sony's tech support and was turned over to a man with a thick middle eastern accent. He gave me less help than I have found reading various online forums. BD-live may not be all that much to some as far as content but it would just be nice to check out stuff related to some of my favorite movies. Also I just downloaded the most recent firmware update. I couldn't get that through the player so I had to create my own desk from sony's site. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:51 PM   #10
Blu-ray Guru

May 2008
Columbus, Ohio

Sorry to here about these problems. I have my 350 hooked up to modem, no router, no problems.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:55 PM   #11
Blu-ray Guru

May 2008
Columbus, Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by joker552 View Post
If you can, have the computer off, reset the modem (or router, or BOTH) and then use the player.
I reset the modem whenever I swap from computer to BDP. I think joker552 is right. Give it a try.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:54 AM   #12

Apr 2009
Palm Desert, CA
Wink

You guys have to go back to Networking 101, in order to get a proper IP Address the Router does the best job. Otherwise, like some have said, you have to properly reset the Modem. By turning everything off, connecting and turning the Modem on, and then your computer or Blu-ray Player.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders