Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Last Starfighter (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
My Big Fat Greek Wedding (Blu-ray)
$6.98
The Spectacular Spider-Man: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Beyond Outrage (Blu-ray)
$12.96
Slap Shot (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Devil's Due (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Here Comes the Devil (Blu-ray)
$14.96
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Psycho-Pass: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$98.54
Hannibal: Season One (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Old 05-25-2009, 06:56 PM   #1

Oct 2008
Default My PS3 won't play blu rays!!!! ???

I've owned my 60 GB ps3 for a little over 3 years now and have never had a problem with it, until yesterday when I tried to watch a new blu ray (Pan's labyrinth) and it would not load. I freaked out & tried another blu ray and it wouldnt load now either! Ive watched numerous blu rays in the past and never had a problem. I always keep the machine updated so I dont think thats the issue. What is odd is that it will still play regular dvds and video games.. Ive been looking around the net and I guess this happens.. I really dont want to have to shed out 150 to get it fixed but it's looking like I just might have to do that.
any help would be grrreatly appreciated.. and beware if you have an somewhat old machine! Im starting to get the feeling these dont have a long life span....
By means of toil man shall scale the height;
Who to fame aspires mustn't sleep o'night:
Who seeketh pearl in the deep must dive,
Winning weal and wealth by his main and might:
And who seeketh Fame without toil and strife
Th' impossible seeketh and wasteth life.
Old 05-25-2009, 07:15 PM   #2
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
San Antonio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climacus View Post
I've owned my 60 GB ps3 for a little over 3 years now and have never had a problem with it, until yesterday when I tried to watch a new blu ray (Pan's labyrinth) and it would not load. I freaked out & tried another blu ray and it wouldnt load now either! Ive watched numerous blu rays in the past and never had a problem. I always keep the machine updated so I dont think thats the issue. What is odd is that it will still play regular dvds and video games.. Ive been looking around the net and I guess this happens.. I really dont want to have to shed out 150 to get it fixed but it's looking like I just might have to do that.
any help would be grrreatly appreciated.. and beware if you have an somewhat old machine! Im starting to get the feeling these dont have a long life span....
I think the laser is going out but slowly.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:39 PM   #3
Special Member

Jul 2008
Shamokin Dam, Pa
Send a message via Yahoo to neos_peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-ray Fanatic View Post
I think the laser is going out but slowly.
THAT or.......are you able to play any games on it. but YES it's proly just the laser. you can get a new one off ebay and replace it your self you'd only be shelling out for the new laser. There is a thread on here on how to change it your self. Or you can just go on youtube, they have a few video's on there too.
Once you go PS3 Slim, you never go back.
"Why so SERIOUS!?!?!?!?"
Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR805
TV: Hitachi 50" FULL HD plazma
Subs: AA HD-Sub15 X2
Center: Sony SS-CN5000P
Fronts & Rear's: Sony SSF5000
Old 05-25-2009, 08:56 PM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2007
Redmond, WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by neos_peace View Post
THAT or.......are you able to play any games on it. but YES it's proly just the laser. you can get a new one off ebay and replace it your self you'd only be shelling out for the new laser. There is a thread on here on how to change it your self. Or you can just go on youtube, they have a few video's on there too.
Here you go:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread....ght=marinemike
Launch PS3 60GB, Launch PS3 Slim 120GB, Launch PS4
Family Room: (TV) Samsung LNT5271; (Receiver) Pioneer Elite VSX-92TXH; (Speakers) Definitive Technology ProCinema 60 5.1 System
New HT Room: (Projector) JVC RS45; (Receiver) Pioneer Elite SC-35; (Front Speakers) Monitor Audio RX6; (Center) RX Centre; (Side Surround Speakers) Monitor Audio RXFX; (Back Speakers) PSB Image B4 Compact Bookshelf; (Subwoofer) SVS PB12-Plus
GO PURPLE...BE GOLD!
Old 05-25-2009, 09:24 PM   #5

Oct 2008

thanks for the help everyone...
yeah after a lot of experiments to try and see if I could get it to work.. Im starting to think it has something to do with the laser...
even the videogames now are having trouble loading..
By means of toil man shall scale the height;
Who to fame aspires mustn't sleep o'night:
Who seeketh pearl in the deep must dive,
Winning weal and wealth by his main and might:
And who seeketh Fame without toil and strife
Th' impossible seeketh and wasteth life.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:08 AM   #6

May 2009

Right now, I'm having trouble with my PS3 as well. The problem seems to begin when I tried shutting it down. It took a couple minutes, and then sounded off three consecutive beeps and then finally, it shut down. So, when I go to turn it on later, I start having issues with trying to sign in to the network. It would just say "signing on" and if I clicked it, it would go to the "signing on" screen and if I tried to cancel, it would freeze. If I tried to play a disc, it would freeze. So I did the quick restore and actually was able to sign on, for two minutes, after which, it not only froze my system, but my router as well.

One might be quick to blame my router or internet, but so far, it only freezes when I test the PS3's connection.

So, I went into the settings and disabled the connection, and it seems to play discs just fine. Granted, I only played certain games and movies for two hours at a time.

Right now, I'm fully restoring the hard drive, but I'm guessing that will not correct the issue.

I also called customer support, and the girl who helped seemed puzzled by this issue, but she told me that it looks like it might be the HDD, which is an easy fix. All I have to do is get a new HDD.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:18 AM   #7
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2006
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Send a message via Yahoo to WriteSimply Send a message via Skype™ to WriteSimply

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshKelhoffer View Post
Right now, I'm having trouble with my PS3 as well. The problem seems to begin when I tried shutting it down.
Not to frighten you but I got that before my PS3 go YLOD. So my suggestion is unless your PS3 is under warranty, go get a few QUIET USB fans or PC fans and put it near the PS3 vents whenever you turn it on. Just in case.

fuad
Old 05-26-2009, 05:34 AM   #8

Nov 2007

The YLOD is a general fault warning, it's not always an overheated, fried system. YLOD's can mean that your HD is gone, your system overheated, or your laser is deficient, among other things.

I'd go with the laser failing myself, but that's just me.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders