Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Steins;Gate: Anime Classics Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$10.99
E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial 4K (Blu-ray)
$12.99
The Adventures of Tintin 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Transformers: The Last Knight 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
War for the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$10.00
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Tenth Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Flash: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Transformers: The Last Knight (Blu-ray)
$10.00
Supergirl: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Alien: Covenant (Blu-ray)
$10.00
Black Lagoon: Complete Collection Season 1 and 2 (Blu-ray)
$16.99
Supernatural: The Complete Twelfth Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater General Discussion

Old 05-31-2009, 02:14 AM   #1
Blu-ray Baron

Apr 2009
In the country
Default SPL meter

Will I gain anything from using an spl meter to set up my home theater? Is it worth the investment?
Old 05-31-2009, 04:37 AM   #2

Jan 2009
West Palm Beach, FL

My vote is a big YES. Auto setups are great to have your AVR think how your gear sounds in your room, but a SPL meter let's your speakers shine as they were meant to be.

Crossovers and levels always seem 'off', IMO. Also, you'll never get the same results if you repeat the auto setup. Once you dial in your speakers with a SPL meter sound seems uniform, the soundstage is more prominent, and you can make the center speaker a bit louder if you wish.

I'm sure others have their own reasons and will add more.
Sony 55" EX710
Directv HR 20
Sony PS3 60GB - Blu-ray player Xbox 360 60GB
Denon 1909 AVR
Aperion Audio speakers:
5T Fronts 5C Center 4B Surrounds Bravus 8D
Xbox 360 GT: MENTALYCHALNGED Currently playing: ?? (360)
All controlled by Harmony One
Old 05-31-2009, 04:46 AM   #3
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2008
Southern California

Quote:
Originally Posted by erict View Post
Will I gain anything from using an spl meter to set up my home theater? Is it worth the investment?
I bought the Radio Shack Digital SPL meter about 10-15 years ago and it was one of the best investments I ever made. I have used it nonstop ever since. It gives the user a great deal of flexibility, particularly for a crazy tweaker like me.

Everytime you move a speaker or listening seat, buy a new speaker/subwoofer, build a riser, use wall trearment, add new furniture, etc., etc, stc., you can use the SPL meter to measure the results and use it to quickly calibrate the level of your speakers again.

If you are not aware, there is an SPL thread with sticky in the Receivers section.
HT Room: Panasonic PT-AE8000, Epson 1080UB Proj., Mitsubishi 65" Diamond Series HD TV, Yamaha-RX-A3010 Rec., CinePro 6-Ch. Amp. (350 W/Ch, 8 Ohm), Proton D1200 Amp., Behringer EP4000 & EPX3000 Amps., Oppo BDP-83, Sony BDP-S790, Audio Technica Tuntable, Mitsubishi S-VHS, 2 Def. Tech. Super Towers w 15" subs, 1 Def. Tech. Center & 1 Martin-Logan Center, 2 Def. Tech. Surr. & 2 PSB Surr., 2 Cadence Presence, 2 Bose 901 Rears, 2 Modified HSU 12" Subs, 1 ED DIY 12" Sub, 1 ED DIY 15" Sub, Velodyne SMS-1 Subwoofer Equalizer, DirecTV HD, Monster HTS 5000 & APC H15 Power Conditioners.
Two-Channel Room: XiangSheng Tube Preamp., Carver TFM-45 Amp. (375 W/Ch), Behringer EPX4000 Amp., Onkyo CD player, Denon Turntable, Yamaha Tuner, 2 Vintage Polk RTA-15TL Speakers, 2 LCY 100 Super Tweeters, 2 DIY Folded Horn Super Towers with 15" Sub., 1 Modified AA HD-SUB12
Family Room: Mitsubishi 73" Diamond Series TV, Yamaha DSP-A3090 Rec., DirecTV HD-DVR, PS3, Zvox Speaker, 1 DIY 12" Sub.
Old 05-31-2009, 04:51 AM   #4

Aug 2008
Pacific Northwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy View Post
I bought the Radio Shack Digital SPL meter about 10-15 years ago and it was one of the best investments I ever made. I have used it nonstop ever since. It gives the user a great deal of flexibility, particularly for a crazy tweaker like me.

Everytime you move a speaker or listening seat, buy a new speaker/subwoofer, build a riser, use wall trearment, add new furniture, etc., etc, stc., you can use the SPL meter to measure the results and use it to quickly calibrate the level of your speakers again.

If you are not aware, there is an SPL thread with sticky in the Receivers section.
Good to know BD ! I need one soon & need to learn how to use it !!
Brent

Changing to 4K ~ Got the 60" TV. Next the player, movies. Then the sound system ~ Again LOL........
Old 05-31-2009, 05:26 AM   #5

Nov 2007

ABSOLUTELY. this is the definitive tool for every starting enthusiast.

then the research on the net.
then comes the books.
then proper placement.
then the acoustic treatments.

the opportunities are endless.
System is very busy now.
Thank you for visiting KONAMI ID portal.
We apologize for the inconvenience.
We would like you to try to access again in later.
Old 05-31-2009, 06:22 AM   #6
Blu-ray Champion

May 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyBLUE View Post
Good to know BD ! I need one soon & need to learn how to use it !!
I second the recommendation about the Radio Shack SPL meter! Even though I have a new Onkyo which automatically adjust audio in my 7.1 system, I still use the Radio Shack SPL meter to tweak my audio. It is a very cheap, good investment if you want outstanding and balanced audio from all of those speakers!
The Alamo, Black Rain (Jp), Far from the Madding Crowd, Gray Lady Down, The Incredible Shrinking Man, Interrupted Melody, Lust for Life, Mississippi Burning, Moby Dick (Gregory Peck), The Other Sister, Ryan's Daughter, Searching for Bobby Fischer, Sink the Bismarck, Swing Kids, Testament, Them, They Died With Their Boots On, The Thing from Another World, War of the Worlds (Orig.) & When Worlds Collide
Old 05-31-2009, 06:28 AM   #7

Aug 2008
Pacific Northwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkolinski View Post
I second the recommendation about the Radio Shack SPL meter! Even though I have a new Onkyo which automatically adjust audio in my 7.1 system, I still use the Radio Shack SPL meter to tweak my audio. It is a very cheap, good investment if you want outstanding and balanced audio from all of those speakers!
What speakers ! J/K ! This next month will be Crazy & that will be A must !!
Brent

Changing to 4K ~ Got the 60" TV. Next the player, movies. Then the sound system ~ Again LOL........
Old 05-31-2009, 02:55 PM   #8
Blu-ray Baron

Apr 2009
In the country

OK guy's, I think you convinced me to purchase one BD, nice write up in the receiver section on SPL meters, thanks
Old 06-02-2009, 12:41 AM   #9
Blu-ray Baron

Apr 2009
In the country

OK, I now have an SPL meter on hand.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:45 AM   #10

Jan 2008
Juuuuuuuust A Bit Outside....

I'd be an absolute mess (by constantly second-guessing my own hearing) if I didn't have one.....

It's a MUST HAVE, in my opinion.
Excessive Compulsive Ellipses Abuser
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffetfroid View Post
The chip on your shoulder is bigger than Godard's ego.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42041 View Post
oh dear its a crazy person
Old 06-02-2009, 12:49 AM   #11
Blu-ray Baron

Apr 2009
In the country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beta Man View Post
I'd be an absolute mess (by constantly second-guessing my own hearing) if I didn't have one.....

It's a MUST HAVE, in my opinion.
This will be the first time using one but seems straight forward. I know if I have a question I can always come back here
Old 06-02-2009, 06:17 PM   #12
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2007
PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy View Post

A big +1 for me. Anytime I add anything to the home theater room, such as gear or furniture, I crack out the SPL meter. It takes YPAO or Audyssey calibration a step further.
Sony Grand Wega SXRD KDS 50-A2000 1080p
Yamaha HTR-6080 7.1 Ch Natural Sound Receiver
Sony PS4 Pro / Yamaha DVD-S2500 SACD Player
Monster Reference Power Conditioner 3500 Mk II
Aurasound LSM-828M Standmounters, LSC-537M Centers F & R, LSB-527M SL & SR, all w/Line Source ribbon tweeters / Realistic Super Tweeters
XLO Electric Reference Speaker Cables
Miller & Kriesel MX-125 Mk. II & MX-70B Subwoofers

Last edited by kingofgrills; 06-02-2009 at 06:19 PM.
Old 06-02-2009, 06:31 PM   #13

Jan 2009
Positioning myself in front of the crease, getting slashed behind the knees by Billy Smith! :(

I just ordered a digital SPL meter yesterday from Radio Shack and can't wait to check it out.
VIDEO
Projector:Sanyo PLV-Z60
Screen:Elite 92" Manual
TV:Samsung 46A650
Blu-Ray Player:Oppo BDP-83
DVR:DirecTv HR34-700
AUDIO(6.2)
AVR:Pioneer Elite SC-05
Amps:3 Emotiva UPA-1's
Front Speakers:AV123 RSC-200 "Bigfoot" Center & Rocket Signature 850 Fronts
Surround Speakers:2 X Paradigm Titan v.2 Sides & 1 X Atom v.2 Back
Subs:2- SVS PC12-NSD's
OTHER
Remote:Harmony One
Transducer:
Buttkicker
Protection:Belkin PF-60
Old 06-02-2009, 06:42 PM   #14
Expert Member

Apr 2009
Texas

Have had my analog RS SPL meter for years and used it often. Friends always appreciate when I bring it over to balance their setups. I still use it in my game room and after Audyssey runs I check my levels.
-Wayne

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________
Samsung PN58A650, Denon AVR-2313ci, Sony PS3 40GB, Boston Acoustics LCR: E70s, SURR: E60s, Seaton Sound Turbo, FIOS HD DVR, APC AV H15, Harmony 880, & IKEA Dioder LEDs. My Collection My flickr threeguysphotography.com
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater General Discussion