Best Blu-ray Deals

Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Entourage: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$96.99
Deadwood: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$58.99
Treme: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$64.99
Guardians of the Galaxy 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Battlestar Galactica: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$89.99
Rise of the Guardians 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Sons of Anarchy: Seasons 1-6 (Blu-ray)
$119.99
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3D (Blu-ray)
$69.99
Sin City: A Dame to Kill For (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Dragon Ball Z: Season 8 (Blu-ray)
$25.89
Big Hero 6 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Maze Runner (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Rocky: Heavyweight Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Street Fighter: Assassin's Fist (Blu-ray)
$17.29
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 05-31-2009, 12:54 PM   #1

May 2009
Thumbs down Pioneer Elite Blu-ray Problems

Hi, I bought one of the first Pioneer Elite Blu Ray players - very costly and initially worked ok - but now wont play most of the new blu ray films? just got quantum of solese and it plays the trailers - but wont play the movie - any others had this problem?

thanks
Old 05-31-2009, 01:04 PM   #2

Nov 2008
-
-
Send a message via ICQ to yellowcakeuf6

Can you get a firmware update?
Old 05-31-2009, 03:23 PM   #3
Power Member

Jan 2008
along the beltway

Quote:
Originally Posted by maldini3105 View Post
Hi, I bought one of the first Pioneer Elite Blu Ray players - very costly and initially worked ok - but now wont play most of the new blu ray films? just got quantum of solese and it plays the trailers - but wont play the movie - any others had this problem?

thanks
Which one did you get? You prolly need a firmware upgrade.
2D LOYALIST

Pioneer Elite PRO PDP-111FD + Pioneer BDP-320
Sony Bravia KDL-40V4100 + Pioneer BDP-51FD
Vizio VA370M + Pioneer BDP-320
Samsung LNT3253H +Sony BDP-S300
Pioneer VSX819HK + Polk Audio Monitor 70s + Polk Audio RM8+ Mirage MM6

Old 05-31-2009, 05:57 PM   #4
Banned

Dec 2008
Hong Kong Firmware

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcakeuf6 View Post
Can you get a firmware update?
The firmware upgrades kept me from buying the Pioneer. From what I've heard, some movies won't play and it is a firmware upgrade requiring you to send it to the service center for the fix.
Old 05-31-2009, 06:41 PM   #5
Blu-ray Count

Feb 2008
California

Like the others have mentioned, check if your firmware is the latest available, see here.
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss
Old 05-31-2009, 06:41 PM   #6
Expert Member

Jun 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfishmike View Post
The firmware upgrades kept me from buying the Pioneer. From what I've heard, some movies won't play and it is a firmware upgrade requiring you to send it to the service center for the fix.
You don't have to send the players in. Firmware upgrades are super easy to do and the Pioneer players are not the only players you have to update. I have two Pio blu-ray players and they are both awesome and I have only once had a movie not play, I did the firmware upgrade and 15 minutes later we were watching the movie, no sweat....
LIVING ROOM
Samsung UN46B8000, Pioneer Elite VSX-94TXH AVR, Oppo BDP-93, Pioneer Elite CLD-95 laserdisc player, Sony VCR, Bang & Olufsen turntable, Triad Gold Satellites (4) & Gold Center Channel, Triad Silver Subwoofer, Logitech Harmony 890 remote

HOME OFFICE
Samsung LN46A650, Pioneer Elite VSX-92TXH AVR, Oppo BDP-83, A/D/S L300C (5), A/D/S L200C (2), A/D/S SW5 subwoofer, Logitech Harmony One remote
Old 05-31-2009, 06:52 PM   #7
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2008
'Western' N.Y. State (MEMBER OF THE "ECPP")™

Quote:
Originally Posted by maldini3105 View Post

thanks
Maldini3105,

There's not a player on the market which is free of the need of firmware updates - from your Pioneer Elite all the way down to bargain players. The Blu-ray format has an ongoing evolution, and new features on the movie discs may require manufacturers to issue new operating code firmware for proper playback.

As has been mentioned, firmware is relative easy to update, but keep in mind that this is probably not the last time you will need to upgrade it. New firmware is required to overcome advancing code (already mentioned) but also serves to resolve bugs in player operation.

I have had my Sony BDP-S350 player since last fall, and I've upgraded the firmware three times.

Good luck!
Old 06-01-2009, 04:44 PM   #8

Apr 2008
Scotsdale, Arizona

I have yet to need a firmware update for my Philips BDP-7200 and I have had it for over a year. **knocks on wood**
LG 55LM7600 w/ 6 Bar Cyron Light System
Pioneer Elite VSX-03TXH
Klipsch Icon VF-35, Klipsch Icon VC-25,Axiom EP350
Samsung BDP-D6700
APC H15/Harmony 900
Old 06-01-2009, 04:54 PM   #9

Oct 2007

It is easier than anything to update Pioneer players. Just call them on the phone and they will mail you an update disk free of charge. They tend to arrive fairly fast too. All players need updates, and I have found Pioneer one of the best as it relates to the updates. I would say that is one reason to buy a Pioneer, not the other way around.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:14 PM   #10

Jul 2009
Canada Pioneer Elite Blu ray problems

Yes.
Even after latest firmware installed on Pioneer elite blu ray 05 last night.
Problems with latest film out yesterday 12 Rounds.
Can't get past security warning.
Film just freezes.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:57 PM   #11

May 2008

I have the same problem. Started blu ray over and just went to scene selection on menu and by-passed security issue and it worked fine. Still a pain. I also have latest firmware.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:00 PM   #12

Oct 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob J in WNY View Post
Maldini3105,

There's not a player on the market which is free of the need of firmware updates - from your Pioneer Elite all the way down to bargain players. The Blu-ray format has an ongoing evolution, and new features on the movie discs may require manufacturers to issue new operating code firmware for proper playback.

As has been mentioned, firmware is relative easy to update, but keep in mind that this is probably not the last time you will need to upgrade it. New firmware is required to overcome advancing code (already mentioned) but also serves to resolve bugs in player operation.

I have had my Sony BDP-S350 player since last fall, and I've upgraded the firmware three times.

Good luck!
The Funai Magnavox/Insignia have 0 firmware updates available and play all the movies. However, some bugs such as TrueHD/DD bitstream issues still exist.
TV:Samsung LNT-5271F 120Hz-1080/24p
BD Player:Samsung BDP-1600, Insignia NS-BRDVD Profile 1.1, Memorex MVBD-2510C Profile 1.1
Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR606
Old 07-03-2009, 04:09 PM   #13

Nov 2007
Olive Branch, MS.
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highfeye View Post
Yes.
Even after latest firmware installed on Pioneer elite blu ray 05 last night.
Problems with latest film out yesterday 12 Rounds.
Can't get past security warning.
Film just freezes.
12 Rounds will not play on my Pioneer/Elite BDP-05FD v. 1.32 Firmware installed. The disc played through the previews and to the pop-up menu, where I could perform Set-up. But when I slected "play movie" it would play up to 9 seconds and freeze. I repeated this process multiple times with the same result. I was able to go in to "scene selection" and it would play, but the "pop-up" screen froze during playback and it was not viewable.

I put the movie in my PS-3 60gb and it loaded almost instantly and played the entire movie without a glitch.

I have resigned myself to the fact that the PS-3 is, by far, the most reliable Blu-ray player on the market.
Old 07-04-2009, 02:00 AM   #14

Jul 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by rragland View Post
12 Rounds will not play on my Pioneer/Elite BDP-05FD v. 1.32 Firmware installed. The disc played through the previews and to the pop-up menu, where I could perform Set-up. But when I slected "play movie" it would play up to 9 seconds and freeze. I repeated this process multiple times with the same result. I was able to go in to "scene selection" and it would play, but the "pop-up" screen froze during playback and it was not viewable.

I put the movie in my PS-3 60gb and it loaded almost instantly and played the entire movie without a glitch.

I have resigned myself to the fact that the PS-3 is, by far, the most reliable Blu-ray player on the market.
I had the exact same problem last night. I was hoping someone could help me understand what is going on. I'm definitely not a 'techie'; I don't know why, with Pioneer's latest update, the playback did not work.

Last edited by cowboy03; 07-04-2009 at 02:04 AM.
Old 07-04-2009, 03:08 AM   #15

Jul 2009
Montréal

I had the same problem a couple of weeks ago in Canada and after checking the Pioneer USA site I found out that my unit had to be returned to them because the firmware update would not fix the problem and I had to make several calls to Pioneer Canada because they had no idea what I was talking about and they told me to contact their U.S. office if that's where I saw the notice. I told them that I bought it in Canada and that they should take care of it. In the end they confirmed the problem and asked me to drop the unit at their repair agent (Capri) in Montreal and he would send them the unit in Ontario.
I have almost 10 movies that wont play and they are all for 20TH Centure Fox.

I am patiently waiting for the unit to be returned.
Old 07-04-2009, 05:04 PM   #16

Jul 2009

Thanks for the reply. I can't find the info on Pioneer (USA) site that you write about. Can you tell me where to find it?
Old 07-05-2009, 12:35 AM   #17

Oct 2007

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA is the U.S. site the manual also has the toll free number. I will say that there have been some movies that have problems with receivers, but a lockup seems to be the player. Firmware updates are key. Also, when they freeze, do a hard reset (hold the power down until it turns off), wait 30 seconds, then power up.

Also, avsforum is a good place for support as well. I am not familiar with that movie, and it may be a problem on other players as well.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:31 AM   #18

Jul 2009
Montréal

if you go the link that BaronVH is showing, just look on the lower right hand side. Import: Notice of free update for Pioneer BDP-51FD & BDP-05FD.

just check to see if your serial number falls within their list of units that have to be returned.
Old 07-06-2009, 03:51 PM   #19

Nov 2007
Olive Branch, MS.
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy03 View Post
I had the exact same problem last night. I was hoping someone could help me understand what is going on. I'm definitely not a 'techie'; I don't know why, with Pioneer's latest update, the playback did not work.
It's an issue with Fox titles. It is not the fault of your player. Owner's of other brands (Oppo, JVC, etc...) are experiencing the same issue.
Old 07-06-2009, 04:42 PM   #20

Jul 2009
Montréal

The 10 or so Fox movies can all play in my Sony 350 so I have to presume that something is wrong with my Pioneer 51FD because non will play on it.
Like i've mentioned above. Pioneer is recalling some 51 or 05 units because they can't fix it with the firmware update.

They have taken back my unit because it fell within the recall paramaters shown on their site and I will post the result when I get it back.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders