Best PS3 Game Deals

Best PS3 Game Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Akiba's Trip: Undead & Undressed (PS3)
$13.43
Dynasty Warriors 7: Xtreme Legends (PS3)
$10.58
The Last of Us (PS3)
$17.36
Sonic the Hedgehog (PS3)
$13.39
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 FES (PS3)
$14.29
Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII (PS3)
$8.00
Final Fantasy IX (PS3)
$14.28
Rio (PS3)
$18.08
Far Cry 3 (PS3)
$17.54
Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault (PS3)
$19.99
Saints Row: The Third - The Full Package (PS3)
$32.01
Madden NFL 13 (PS3)
$11.06
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS3


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2012, 11:50 AM   #11561
TheWildWhelk TheWildWhelk is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
TheWildWhelk's Avatar
 
Oct 2007
Oxford
63
4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelmaker View Post
The state the game was in at launch for 60.00 I'd say not worth it. However for 39.99 with all the updates I think is a great value. My biggest issues with the game I doubt can be or will be ever addressed. Mainly poor shadows and trackside textures, plus no interior details on standard cars. Also, I feel Polyphony has failed to evolve the franchise the way the competition has with car damage, customization, computer AI, etc. They seemed to put all their focus on the cars themselves and forgot this still a video game.
Couldn't have put it better myself. I was lucky enough that a relative bought me the Collectors Edition of the game last year quite cheaply for £30, and at the time i felt that it was the right pricing point. The car models look fantastic, but the level of track detail in some races is piss poor. The Top Gear test track and Cote D'Azure has textures onpar with a PS2 game rather than a leading PS3 title. Would it really be that hard to improve them? Or did they use Google Earth street view to capture the textures!
Samsung 3D F6800 40". PS4 Pro. AMD 8370/RX480 8 Gig gaming rig. Launch PS4 as BD player.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 04:13 PM   #11562
Steelmaker Steelmaker is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Steelmaker's Avatar
 
Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN
1
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfTorah View Post
Couldn't have put it better myself. I was lucky enough that a relative bought me the Collectors Edition of the game last year quite cheaply for £30, and at the time i felt that it was the right pricing point. The car models look fantastic, but the level of track detail in some races is piss poor. The Top Gear test track and Cote D'Azure has textures onpar with a PS2 game rather than a leading PS3 title. Would it really be that hard to improve them? Or did they use Google Earth street view to capture the textures!
I think it's like I said in an earlier post. I think it's a misallocation of resources. I believe Polyphony could've dialed down the car detail just a little on the premium cars in order to amp up the track and shadow detail more. Like I said, Forza 4 get's the balance just about right. Their cars, while on a technical level may not push as many polygons as GT5's, they still look really good and I don't think the differences are that discernable to the naked eye. In hindsight, I'm not really sure what Polyphony was trying to accomplish. It's almost as if they were trying to make a car collecting game and the racing aspect was more of an afterthought. OK maybe not that extreme but it's fairly obvious that most of the focus was spent on the cars themselves.
"Live in your hopes, not in your fears."
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 04:27 PM   #11563
owa owa is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
owa's Avatar
 
Apr 2007
96
Default

I thought it was mostly considered a driving (car) simulation not a racing game. Kind of like a Microsoft Flight Simulator for cars. In other words, racing is just a way to experience driving the cars, a way to experience the details (handling, sounds, performance, etc.) and not really the focus of the "game".
PSN: OWA
XBL: OWAXB1

Last edited by owa; 02-22-2012 at 04:30 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 04:32 PM   #11564
slick1ru2 slick1ru2 is offline
Banned
 
Jun 2009
The South
545
133
144
10
Default

Took several in game photos of standard cars over the past few days and at not too far a distance, you really need to look to see they aren't premium models.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:35 PM   #11565
Uxi Uxi is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Uxi's Avatar
 
Aug 2007
626, So Cal
177
9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelmaker View Post
Yes I agree. Also I wish Polyphony would add a car customization feature like what Forza has. Being able to use your PC to design custom paint jobs, graphics, etc. Sort of like EA's "Team Builder" feature. A virtual tour of the cars would be nice also.
I don't think it needs to be completely open. You know 13yo's (mentally, if not physically) would be going hog wild with the racist and shock value stuff as well as the latest internet memes if it was completely open.

But at least stickers, logos, sponsors, colors, stripes, etc should be doable. Would be more valuable than the zillion plain paint chips or horns I'm never going to use.
---
"No matter where you go, there you are."
SXRD/Denon/Polk/PS3/WiiU
320GB CECHA01- YLOD; 160GB Drake's (hax0r3d OtherOS toy); 120GB Slim with Move
500GB Glacier White Destiny PS4
PSN: Uxi Twitter: Uxixu
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 06:10 PM   #11566
Steelmaker Steelmaker is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Steelmaker's Avatar
 
Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN
1
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by owa View Post
I thought it was mostly considered a driving (car) simulation not a racing game. Kind of like a Microsoft Flight Simulator for cars. In other words, racing is just a way to experience driving the cars, a way to experience the details (handling, sounds, performance, etc.) and not really the focus of the "game".
Why can't it be both?
"Live in your hopes, not in your fears."
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 06:36 PM   #11567
slick1ru2 slick1ru2 is offline
Banned
 
Jun 2009
The South
545
133
144
10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uxi View Post
I don't think it needs to be completely open. You know 13yo's (mentally, if not physically) would be going hog wild with the racist and shock value stuff as well as the latest internet memes if it was completely open.

But at least stickers, logos, sponsors, colors, stripes, etc should be doable. Would be more valuable than the zillion plain paint chips or horns I'm never going to use.
Forza is COMPLETELY open, but any offensive designs are reported and removed. You have to have it like that so anything is possible. I've seen everything from an incredible air brush of Senna to every possible livery of every type made. Its INCREDIBLE. This was all done with the livery editor. Gran Turismo needs this AND multi-class racing.

[Show spoiler]
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:00 PM   #11568
slick1ru2 slick1ru2 is offline
Banned
 
Jun 2009
The South
545
133
144
10
Default

So I do all the work on one of the 6 race series in my newer account and what do I get for a bonus car? One of the few cars I already have, the Zonda LM! Argggghhh. On my older account when I get a gift ticket I am sending it to my newer account. I wonder if when I do that, the value of the car drops down to below $1 million because I know that one gift car I got was that R8 LMS car that is millions, but I didn't sent that one. The two I've sent so far turned out to be a Super GT cars.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:04 PM   #11569
Steelmaker Steelmaker is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Steelmaker's Avatar
 
Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN
1
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick1ru2 View Post
Forza is COMPLETELY open, but any offensive designs are reported and removed. You have to have it like that so anything is possible. I've seen everything from an incredible air brush of Senna to every possible livery of every type made. Its INCREDIBLE. This was all done with the livery editor. Gran Turismo needs this AND multi-class racing.

[Show spoiler]
Well said! I like the fact they included a track editor/creator feature but they need a car customizer as well. And get rid of the stuipid feature of having to pay for paint jobs for god's sake! If I want to change my orange viper to black, just give me that damn option. Why make it so difficult to perform such a simple task? Same with car damage. Absolutely absurd to make the user "earn" that feature.
"Live in your hopes, not in your fears."
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:19 PM   #11570
slick1ru2 slick1ru2 is offline
Banned
 
Jun 2009
The South
545
133
144
10
Default

The only glaring lacking thing in Forza is they don't have any matte colors for simple paint jobs. So weird.But yes, paint jobs in all games are free and you don't need to have a paint chip either. Weird.

After watching GT/sports car racing all season last year, multi-class racing is where its at. All you need is PP ratings. Forza also uses AI drivers online to ensure a full race. That would be a nice online option for GT5, adding AI drivers to fill races as well as using PP points for multi-class races. Negotiating slower and even faster traffic is such a large part of racing. And its almost like Polyphony wants to do it by looking at some of the Seasonal Events that mix GT cars with much faster LMP class cars. I don't care if they are accused of copying, they need to do it to take the game to a new level.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:19 PM   #11571
Steelmaker Steelmaker is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Steelmaker's Avatar
 
Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN
1
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick1ru2 View Post
The only glaring lacking thing in Forza is they don't have any matte colors for simple paint jobs. So weird.But yes, paint jobs in all games are free and you don't need to have a paint chip either. Weird.

After watching GT/sports car racing all season last year, multi-class racing is where its at. All you need is PP ratings. Forza also uses AI drivers online to ensure a full race. That would be a nice online option for GT5, adding AI drivers to fill races as well as using PP points for multi-class races. Negotiating slower and even faster traffic is such a large part of racing. And its almost like Polyphony wants to do it by looking at some of the Seasonal Events that mix GT cars with much faster LMP class cars. I don't care if they are accused of copying, they need to do it to take the game to a new level.

Hate to say it but is Polyphony and GT yet ANOTHER example of a Japanese developer falling further behind western and Euro developers in innovation?
"Live in your hopes, not in your fears."
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:59 PM   #11572
TheWildWhelk TheWildWhelk is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
TheWildWhelk's Avatar
 
Oct 2007
Oxford
63
4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick1ru2 View Post
Took several in game photos of standard cars over the past few days and at not too far a distance, you really need to look to see they aren't premium models.
Some of the Standard cars really do look quite superb, close perhaps to some of the Premium vehicles, but with more than 1000 cars available a few seem to have slipped through quality control and are surprisingly angular. It's a damn shame the Lamborghini Countach doesn't look just a little better. I'm all for PPD doing incremental upgrades to the Standard vehicles in the longrun, seeing as we are definatley not going to get GT6 until the PS4 arrives.

Oh, and just to keep us Mini owners happy, keep up the Mini DLC until we have all of the cars from the last 12 years! Where's our Coupe and Countryman!
Samsung 3D F6800 40". PS4 Pro. AMD 8370/RX480 8 Gig gaming rig. Launch PS4 as BD player.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:53 PM   #11573
Toxa Toxa is offline
Moderator
 
Toxa's Avatar
 
Nov 2007
Opera Garnier
100
311
1
Send a message via MSN to Toxa
Exclamation

another debate GT vs Forza ?
DLP = True Blu-ray Experience
The HD-DVD is DEAD since May 2005

AVC, DTS-HD MA & LPCM supporter

W3LCOM3 CHANG3 PS3

"Gran Turismo 5 isn't just a game it's a lifestyle" Bageara

I was also amaze to see that Cruise retrieve the face he had 8 years ago (2005)
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 11:29 PM   #11574
Uxi Uxi is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Uxi's Avatar
 
Aug 2007
626, So Cal
177
9
Default

I like matte paint jobs in real life but it's hard to pull off in a game. Bunch of the GT models look almost lower resolution, if not a bit cartoonish, if that makes sense.
---
"No matter where you go, there you are."
SXRD/Denon/Polk/PS3/WiiU
320GB CECHA01- YLOD; 160GB Drake's (hax0r3d OtherOS toy); 120GB Slim with Move
500GB Glacier White Destiny PS4
PSN: Uxi Twitter: Uxixu
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 11:45 PM   #11575
owa owa is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
owa's Avatar
 
Apr 2007
96
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelmaker View Post
Why can't it be both?
I don't know, I guess you'll have to ask the developers but it seems that most either try to be a simulation or they try to be sim-like and make it a little easier and more accessible to the masses. Being a PC gamer until this generation of consoles came along, I really didn't know anything about the Gran Turismo series but watching and reading interviews with the head guy, it was very obvious he was only concerned with accurately modeling the cars and tracks. The rest was just fluff that he didn't seem interested in.

Anyway, I could do without any painting, decals, horns, helmets, uniforms, etc. (that sort of customizing) since you can get plenty of that from games like Need for Speed Underground (and the like) but I do think they should have included some damage modeling for the events and not just for the arcade/test mode since that can completely alter the way you drive. I found myself driving a lot differently in the events where they had strict rules enforced for going off the track, bumping cars, etc. and would have preferred the added challenge of that full-time even if it meant I wouldn't be able to complete everything.
PSN: OWA
XBL: OWAXB1
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:52 AM   #11576
Grim Reaper Grim Reaper is offline
Blu-ray Count
 
Grim Reaper's Avatar
 
Jun 2006
Find Me!
1319
10
Default

Gran Turismo 5 vs. Reality: Can You Tell the Difference?

http://www.gtplanet.net/gran-turismo...he-difference/
Uplay: JasonVoorhees98 Steam: JasonVoorhees987
Origin: JasonVoorhees987 XBL: CMaggotbone
Social Club: GrimReaper4383 PSN: GrimReaper4383
Nintendo Friend Code: SW-5607-0124-5713
My PSN Profile Destiny "Public Events"
My Blu-Ray Collection My Destiny Profiles Battleborn Shift Codes
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:57 AM   #11577
Steelmaker Steelmaker is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Steelmaker's Avatar
 
Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN
1
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by owa View Post
I don't know, I guess you'll have to ask the developers but it seems that most either try to be a simulation or they try to be sim-like and make it a little easier and more accessible to the masses. Being a PC gamer until this generation of consoles came along, I really didn't know anything about the Gran Turismo series but watching and reading interviews with the head guy, it was very obvious he was only concerned with accurately modeling the cars and tracks. The rest was just fluff that he didn't seem interested in.
Well honestly I don't care what they're calling it. I don't buy into the whole "it's not a racing game it's a driving simulator" bull$@#!. It's a racing game! If they wanted it to merely be a driving simulator, why even bother with opponents? Why even bother with competitive online racing? Why not make the cars, make the tracks and say "here have fun driving?" Because that would be boring as hell. It's a racing game. It's always BEEN a racing game. The problem is that Polyphony has failed to evolve that aspect of the game because somewhere along the way they became more obsessed with building the perfect car models and making it a virtual "hot wheels" collecting game rather than focus on making it an actual FUN racing game. Now their competition has surpassed them in a MUCH shorter period of time. I really hope that for GT6, they will keep the same basic models for the premium cars and just focus on making the whole experience better. Better track details, better AI, more customizable features, better car damage, etc.
"Live in your hopes, not in your fears."
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:19 PM   #11578
Toxa Toxa is offline
Moderator
 
Toxa's Avatar
 
Nov 2007
Opera Garnier
100
311
1
Send a message via MSN to Toxa
Default Rally Cars Featured in New GT5 Time & Drift Trials

Quote:
The latest batch of Gran Turismo 5 Seasonal Events have just become available, consisting of new Time and Drift trial events. Here’s all the details:

Time Trial No. 30

Eiger Nordwand Short Course Time (4WD Rally Cars 1990 to Present)
Period of Availability: 2012/02/22 22:00 – 2012/03/07 22:00
Gold: Cr.250,000 Silver: Cr.150,000 Bronze: Cr.100,000
350PP Kart Space I Time Trial
Period of Availability: 2012/02/22 22:00 – 2012/03/07 22:00
Gold: Cr.250,000 Silver: Cr.150,000 Bronze: Cr.100,000
Drift Trial No. 30

Eiger Nordwand K Trail / Reverse Drift Trial (4WD Rally Cars 1990 to Present)
Period of Availability: 2012/02/22 22:00 – 2012/03/07 22:00
Gold: Cr.250,000 Silver: Cr.150,000 Bronze: Cr.100,000
Clubman Stage Route 5 / Reverse Drift Trial
Period of Availability: 2012/02/22 22:00 – 2012/03/07 22:00
Gold: Cr.250,000 Silver: Cr.150,000 Bronze: Cr.100,000

The game’s Online Car Dealership has not been updated.

http://www.gtplanet.net/rally-cars-f...-drift-trials/
DLP = True Blu-ray Experience
The HD-DVD is DEAD since May 2005

AVC, DTS-HD MA & LPCM supporter

W3LCOM3 CHANG3 PS3

"Gran Turismo 5 isn't just a game it's a lifestyle" Bageara

I was also amaze to see that Cruise retrieve the face he had 8 years ago (2005)
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:32 PM   #11579
owa owa is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
owa's Avatar
 
Apr 2007
96
Default

Thanks for the update. Any idea when the maintenance is supposed to be over? I saw the message last night but can't remember when it's supposed to be over.
PSN: OWA
XBL: OWAXB1
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 06:46 AM   #11580
Rblu-Dblu Rblu-Dblu is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Rblu-Dblu's Avatar
 
Mar 2009
Trapped on the Death Star
482
12
Default

Havent played this game at all since I got the platinum. Read about the updates to the Logitech GT that make it easier to drive in a straight line. Does this mean you can actually drive a X2010 without fighting it the whole way?
"You might not be able to fight like a samurai, but you can at least die like a samurai." O-Ren Ishii

PSN: Emperor_Keyser
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS3

Similar Threads
thread Forum Thread Starter Replies Last Post
The Evolution of Gran Turismo PS3 Nousemercenary 0 08-26-2009 12:41 AM
Gran Turismo 5 Prologue Updated PS3 Grim Reaper 7 10-04-2008 01:38 PM
My Gran Turismo 5 trailer PS3 Toxa 4 02-26-2008 02:07 PM
Gran Turismo HD PS3 Blu-ray San 61 01-08-2007 06:23 AM


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:41 AM.