Best Blu-ray Deals

Black Friday Sale is Live, $3.99 Blu-ray Movies »
Now: Men in Black 3 $3.96 (20% sold out)
Now: 300 $3.96 (5% sold out)
Soon: Alien Anthology (Alien / Alien… ()

Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$7.99
7 hrs ago
Captain Phillips (Blu-ray)
$5.99
2 hrs ago
Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy (Blu-ray)
$3.99
49 min ago
The LEGO Movie (Blu-ray)
$8.99
6 hrs ago
The King's Speech (Blu-ray)
$3.99
7 hrs ago
American Hustle (Blu-ray)
$6.00

Killing Them Softly (Blu-ray)
$3.99
19 hrs ago
Gangs of New York (Blu-ray)
$3.99
11 hrs ago
Big Miracle (Blu-ray)
$4.00
1 hr ago
Casablanca (Blu-ray)
$5.99
10 hrs ago
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (Blu-ray)
$4.99
22 hrs ago
You're Next (Blu-ray)
$5.99
5 hrs ago
Breaking Bad: The Final Season (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Good Will Hunting (Blu-ray)
$3.99

Old 06-05-2009, 10:56 PM   #1

Jun 2009
Default GGC H2OL & Power dvd ultra 7.3 update problem

I have a new GGC H2OL Blu-ray drive and have just installed the power dvd software, when I insert a blu-ray disc and press play on the power dvd ultra player I get an update message that says. .

"A critical componet of the player requires periodic updates. New movies could fail to play if the critical update is not updated promptly. Would you like to update now?"

When I click yes and am asked again if I want to download the update, I click yes again and am taken to an empty page that just sits there, no update takes place, no download, nothing. . .

here's the page address

http://docs.cyberlink.com/multi/patch/enu/null

So thinking this link is broken I went to Cyberlink and found an update for my GGC H2OL drive - (Update for Power dvd ultra 7.3) which I have downloaded and installed and now when I click play on the power dvd ultra player I get asked exectly the same thing, it's like some bad acid trip man, I keep going round in circles, what should I do?

The BD I'm trying to play is BLade runner the final cut (Region A)

I have a brand new Dell 1080p HDCP ready 22" monitor

2X Radeon HD4870's

My whole system is HDCP compliant from what I can tell.

ANY advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:05 PM   #2

Jun 2009

I found this through a google search.

PowerDVD displays " A critical component of the player requires periodic updates. " message when you are trying to play a Blu-ray Disc or HD DVD title.

Cyberlink PowerDVD Ultra - DVD CD Player, CD DVD Player, Play DVD CD

Cause:

Blu-ray Disc and HD DVD titles have adopted AACS (Advanced Access Content System) to protect the digital content. AACS keys are required to play some Blu-ray Disc and HD DVD titles. AACS keys were integrated into your PowerDVD for copy protection purposes. Occasional renewal of the AACS key is required. This error message appears because the title you're playing requires a newer AACS key.

Solution:

Click Yes on the error message dialog to connect to the CyberLink Web site and download the updated version of PowerDVD for AACS keys renewal. If you wish to download the patch afterward, please go to the following URL to retrieve it.

I can click yes but there is no download, what on earth is going on, has anybody got any ideas?
Old 06-05-2009, 11:23 PM   #3

Jun 2009

I have managed to download & install the neccessary patch. But now, when I try to play the disc, PowerDVD comes up with an error that says "invalid pointer".
Anyone know what that's about?
Old 06-08-2009, 05:09 PM   #4

Jun 2008

I had a similar issue. I downloaded the update, prompted for my CD key, entered the key and said I had already registered that key and it would not work. Forced to uninstall and reinstall, updated and same problem.

I really wish I could get Arcsoft Total Media Theater to work again. Then I wouldnt have to deal with PowerDVD anymore
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray PCs, Laptops, Drives, Media and Software