COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Marilyn Monroe: Classic Nine-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Snowpiercer (Blu-ray)
$14.96
Ghostbusters Limited Edition Gift Set (Blu-ray)
$79.99
Justice League: War (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Sleepy Hollow: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Captain America: The Winter Soldier 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Arrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Atlantis: The Lost Empire / Atlantis: Milo's Return (Blu-ray)
$14.96
South Park: The Complete Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Maniac (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Grimm: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$34.99
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Rio 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$22.99
30 Minutes or Less (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Thomas & Friends: Tale of the Brave - The Movie (Blu-ray)
$18.69
Hannibal: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$30.78
Old 06-10-2009, 02:31 PM   #1
Power Member

Jan 2008
Default Alternatives to renting Comcast HD Boxes?

I live in a condominium building and cable is included in my association fees through Comcast. But, in order to get HDTV I must rent an HD box from Comcast. Considering I need 3 of them I'd rather just bite the bullet and buy a couple boxes rather than deal with the recurring monthly fee.

What are my options? I've never really researched this before. To be clear I have full cable access but am just not using any kind of box/receiver at the moment. Thanks for any help..
Old 06-10-2009, 02:42 PM   #2
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2007
Over The State Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVJAG View Post
I live in a condominium building and cable is included in my association fees through Comcast. But, in order to get HDTV I must rent an HD box from Comcast. Considering I need 3 of them I'd rather just bite the bullet and buy a couple boxes rather than deal with the recurring monthly fee.

What are my options? I've never really researched this before. To be clear I have full cable access but am just not using any kind of box/receiver at the moment. Thanks for any help..
I think it maybe cheaper for you to get Direct TV, try and see if you can get out of paying the Comcast fee and go with direct TV, you can get some great deals right now for being a new customer.
MOE
Old 06-10-2009, 02:58 PM   #3

Jan 2008
Nashville

TivoHD DVR box.

You would still need a cable card from Comcast for each TivoHD and you will need to pay a monthly service fee to Tivo (there is a one time lifetime option per box). If you don't want a DVR I'm not sure what options are out there other then Dish network or DirectTV if you Condo allows a sat. dish
Old 06-10-2009, 03:44 PM   #4
Power Member

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by meckel View Post
TivoHD DVR box.

You would still need a cable card from Comcast for each TivoHD and you will need to pay a monthly service fee to Tivo (there is a one time lifetime option per box). If you don't want a DVR I'm not sure what options are out there other then Dish network or DirectTV if you Condo allows a sat. dish
The association cut a deal with Comcast so my cable bill is relatively cheap fro everything I'm getting (HBO, Sports Package, etc.). So I just assume stick with Cable than paying more for satellite.

If I bought the Tivo box would I have to pay extra to Comcast for anything? I'm trying to completely avoid any kind of monthly Comcast bill.

Thanks for the responses!
Old 06-10-2009, 03:52 PM   #5
Blu-ray Baron

Nov 2007
Iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVJAG View Post
The association cut a deal with Comcast so my cable bill is relatively cheap fro everything I'm getting (HBO, Sports Package, etc.). So I just assume stick with Cable than paying more for satellite.

If I bought the Tivo box would I have to pay extra to Comcast for anything? I'm trying to completely avoid any kind of monthly Comcast bill.

Thanks for the responses!
You would have to rent a cable card from Comcast even if you got Tivo. For my cable company that is $5 per card per month. I don't think there's a way to get around paying something to Comcast if you want HD.
Old 06-10-2009, 05:13 PM   #6
Banned

Sep 2008

Paying a useage or rental fee for each box is far better than buying one when they run (as best I know) ~$300. If you factor in each time the thing goes unstable and goes tits up, you can walk in and out with a replacement for no cost, it's quite a deal depending on how you look at it. Think about if you owned the box and it shot craps one @ 15 months, you'd be out buying a new one (quite possibly) or dealing with warranty repair and not having a STB while it's in the shop. When you could have walked into the local Comcast and swapped a replacement in an hour.

There are severe advantages to not owning one of those things, IMHO. Even at $5/mth for each of my boxes its worth it and I'd have to keep the thing for like 5 years before those charges balanced out.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater General Discussion