Best Blu-ray Deals

Black Friday Week is Live, $3.99 Blu-ray Movies »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Rain Man (Blu-ray)
$3.99
22 hrs ago
X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Person of Interest: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
20 hrs ago
Lone Survivor (Blu-ray)
$7.99
5 hrs ago
Inside Man (Blu-ray)
$3.99
11 hrs ago
A Good Day to Die Hard (Blu-ray)
$3.99

The Avengers (Blu-ray)
$9.99

X-Men: First Class (Blu-ray)
$3.99
23 hrs ago
The Bourne Ultimatum (Blu-ray)
$3.99

The Walking Dead: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 6 (Blu-ray)
$31.99

The Terminator (Blu-ray)
$3.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Wish Lists

Old 06-17-2009, 08:10 PM   #1

Apr 2009
Houston, TX
USA The X-Files (TV Series) on Blu-Ray

So far, we only have the two films (Fight The Future and I Want To Believe) on BD. Any word on the series? I have the four mythology boxed sets on DVD and I was holding off on picking up the complete series, in hopes of a Blu-Ray announcement.

Also, if season 1-4 were previously released in 4:3 and seasons 5-9 in 16:9, will these aspect ratios carry forward to the BD release? Would they be able to go back to the early seasons and change them to 16:9?
Old 06-17-2009, 08:26 PM   #2
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2007
Nicosia, CY (EU)

I don't think the first seasons of X-Files were filmed with the prospect of HD.

Same goes for tv series like CHARMED, Buffy, Angel, FRIENDS, Dawson's Creek, the list is endless
[[ Official UK Slipcover Thread ]]
My Slipcovers collection as of August 5th Part One, Two and Three
Looking to buy these slips: BROTHERS GRIMM Canadian Lenticular, HOME ALONE 1+2 USA Slipbox, X-FILES 2, KILL BILL 2 Canadian Lenticular, Ghost US
Old 06-17-2009, 08:32 PM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2009
Pequannock, NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by demiscy View Post

Same goes for tv series like CHARMED, Buffy, Angel, FRIENDS, Dawson's Creek, the list is endless
Can they do like they did for the syndicated now 16x9 seinfeld shows since that started even earlier 1989.
"What are you people....on dope ?"
Old 06-17-2009, 08:35 PM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcowboy7 View Post
Can they do like they did for the syndicated now 16x9 seinfeld shows since that started even earlier 1989.
All the shows that guy mentioned (including X-Files) were shot on film, so theoretically they could be transferred to blu-ray. Remember, film has a higher resolution than HD.

The question is - do the film elements still exists, or are we only left with video (standard def) masters now?

If film elements still exists, most likely the shows will need to be re-edited from scratch, and special effects work will either need to be re-done, or upscaled from the standard definition masters.

Then you need to decide whether to keep the original aspect ratio of the show, or crop them to 16:9 for the new HD transfers. I for one am not in favor of cropping native 4:3 material to modify the original aspect ratio of the show.

These are among the problems facing Star Trek: The Next Generation currently...

Last edited by benricci; 06-17-2009 at 08:38 PM.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:50 PM   #5

Jan 2009
Mt. Juliet, TN

[QUOTE] [QUOTE=benricci;2018891]...Then you need to decide whether to keep the original aspect ratio of the show, or crop them to 16:9 for the new HD transfers. I for one am not in favor of cropping native 4:3 material to modify the original aspect ratio of the show... QUOTE]

I'm with you there. I would LOVE to see X-Files on Blu, but if it ever happens I hope they don't crop it just to fit 16:9. That would be criminal.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:55 PM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRAK View Post
I'm with you there. I would LOVE to see X-Files on Blu, but if it ever happens I hope they don't crop it just to fit 16:9. That would be criminal.
That goes for the first few seasons of the X-Files. The last few (forget which off the top of my head) were composed for 16:9, and are presented that way on the DVDs. So I'm cool with that.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:58 PM   #7
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2007

The DVD's look terrible, so Blu-ray releases of this would be awesome. Always considered X-Files one of my top 5 TV-shows. I even like seasons 8 and 9.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:03 PM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by demoni View Post
The DVD's look terrible, so Blu-ray releases of this would be awesome. Always considered X-Files one of my top 5 TV-shows. I even like seasons 8 and 9.
I secretly liked 8 and 9, too.

Yeah, the Mulder/Scully chemistry was gone. But there was some damn good science fiction going on, if people would've just given it half a chance.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:04 PM   #9
Power Member

Oct 2008
Scranton, PA, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRAK View Post
I'm definitely against a straight up cropping of the top and bottom. That's no different than the awful pan and scan versions of movies we used to get on DVD and VHS. However, when there's a trade off where they add info to the sides while removing some from the top/bottom (like the HD Seinfeld broadcasts), well, I'm a bit more open to that. I'm still hesitant about it and would prefer they just leave it alone, but I'm more willing to accept that compromise.

IMO, the ideal solution would be to include both an unaltered version and a cropped, but that doesn't seem very cost effective. We'll see how it plays out eventually.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:19 PM   #10

Apr 2009
Houston, TX
Question

I don't know much about how TV shows are filmed. I thought that maybe there was a chance it was shot in a widescreen format and then cropped for television. I definitely do not want them to crop a full screen image to make it 16:9. If that's the only option, then I would prefer the original 4:3 aspect ratio...
Old 06-17-2009, 09:26 PM   #11

Apr 2009
Houston, TX
Thumbs up

I just found this "announcement" from Fox:

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/20.../fox_blu_ray/1

It lists The X-Files as one of the series that will be coming to Blu...

It's from 2005, so I don't if this is still in the works.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:30 PM   #12
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by benricci View Post
I secretly liked 8 and 9, too.

Yeah, the Mulder/Scully chemistry was gone. But there was some damn good science fiction going on, if people would've just given it half a chance.
+1

I totally agree! There's lot's of cool episodes in the last two seasons. And I think Robert Patrick does a great FBI agent!
Old 06-17-2009, 09:31 PM   #13
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisstivers View Post
I just found this "announcement" from Fox:

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/20.../fox_blu_ray/1
Considering that "announcement" was made four years ago (and a year before blu-ray was even available), I don't put much stock into it... also there is no link to the actual press release. So it's hard to say whether this was really said, or just conjecture by the article's writer.

Last edited by benricci; 06-17-2009 at 09:34 PM.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:32 AM   #14
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisstivers View Post
So far, we only have the two films (Fight The Future and I Want To Believe) on BD. Any word on the series? I have the four mythology boxed sets on DVD and I was holding off on picking up the complete series, in hopes of a Blu-Ray announcement.

Also, if season 1-4 were previously released in 4:3 and seasons 5-9 in 16:9, will these aspect ratios carry forward to the BD release? Would they be able to go back to the early seasons and change them to 16:9?
I'm sure that Fox will keep Seasons 1-4 in 1.33:1 since the show was composed for this aspect ratio and was never "protected" for the 16x9/1.78:1 aspect as it was not a big issue for them. When they made "Fight The Future," the shows producers changed their minds and composed for both 16x9/1.78:1 and 1.33:1 aspect ratios.

If they do recompose these shots then we would end up with the Hogan's Heroes effect where the headroom is unnecessarily too tight even when it changed from 1.78:1 to 1.66:1.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:44 AM   #15
Expert Member

Apr 2008
Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by demiscy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_dave View Post
I'm sure that Fox will keep Seasons 1-4 in 1.33:1 since the show was composed for this aspect ratio and was never "protected" for the 16x9/1.78:1 aspect as it was not a big issue for them. When they made "Fight The Future," the shows producers changed their minds and composed for both 16x9/1.78:1 and 1.33:1 aspect ratios.

If they do recompose these shots then we would end up with the Hogan's Heroes effect where the headroom is unnecessarily too tight even when it changed from 1.78:1 to 1.66:1.
Star Trek was not filmed in a HD or widescreen format and the blu ray looks pretty darn good even in a 4x3 format, so they could do it. I am a huge fan of the series and bought all 9 seasons when they came out for $100 each (now they are $19.99-$39.99) so I doubt I will double dip, but still one of my top 5 shows of all time.
Old 06-22-2009, 12:52 AM   #16

Jan 2009
Montréal, QC

Quote:
Originally Posted by spolcyc View Post
Star Trek was not filmed in a HD or widescreen format and the blu ray looks pretty darn good even in a 4x3 format, so they could do it. I am a huge fan of the series and bought all 9 seasons when they came out for $100 each (now they are $19.99-$39.99) so I doubt I will double dip, but still one of my top 5 shows of all time.
Me too I bought The X-Files sets when they first came out. I bought them at around 120.00 CAD each! The X-Files was one of the first TV shows released on DVD. I'm pretty sure the studios were watching closely how well it sold and I guess they saw there was indeed a market for TV on DVD. I would still double-dip if the PQ is significantly better.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:51 AM   #17

Aug 2008

Quote:
All the shows that guy mentioned (including X-Files) were shot on film, so theoretically they could be transferred to blu-ray. Remember, film has a higher resolution than HD.

The question is - do the film elements still exists, or are we only left with video (standard def) masters now?

If film elements still exists, most likely the shows will need to be re-edited from scratch, and special effects work will either need to be re-done, or upscaled from the standard definition masters.

These are among the problems facing Star Trek: The Next Generation currently...
If they (film) do exist, then let the Blus come. As for the bolded part, don't talk like that. Re-do the effects by all means, please. I would rather pay more for effects that rock in HD than less for blurry effects.

I guess Star Trek: TNG (and DS9 and VOY) fans have something in common.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spolcyc View Post
Star Trek was not filmed in a HD or widescreen format and the blu ray looks pretty darn good even in a 4x3 format, so they could do it.
Heck yeah! Star Trek rocked in HD for a 60's, fullscreen show (heck, it rocks in HD period). If some of the X-Files seasons were meant for only 4:3, then let the HD versions be 4:3. OAR!

Quote:
Considering that "announcement" was made four years ago (and a year before blu-ray was even available), I don't put much stock into it... also there is no link to the actual press release. So it's hard to say whether this was really said, or just conjecture by the article's writer.
Plus it also listed Simpsons and Family Guy, shows that may not make it to Blu-Ray (Family Guy is't even being made in HD yet, as far as I know).
"Upconversion, HA! You can keep your upconversion myself i will go for the true 1080p versions."

"This bickering is pointless. Lord Mouse will provide Fox with the terms of the cross-company home release by the time the new trilogy is operational. They will then crush the 2011 Blu-ray release with one swift stroke"
Old 06-22-2009, 01:52 AM   #18

May 2007

yeah season 1+2 i paid $149.99each back in 98 or 99 when dvd was and the rest were $99 a pop i probably spent a grand on the x-files sets
but i would love to have them in 1080p
Old 12-06-2012, 08:38 PM   #19
Expert Member

Oct 2011

The X-Files, Much like Star Trek TNG is another show I'd happily shell out my hard earned cash Because I know it's worth it!
4K? Really? Why? 720P looks pretty good projected @ 120"!!! I haven't seen 1080P(projected), but I imagine it's GREAT!
Old 12-07-2012, 12:24 AM   #20
Blu-ray Prince

May 2010
Columbia, MD

Any chance the Mods can move this thread to this one:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=208637
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Wish Lists