Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Hannibal: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$15.00
Fairy Tail: Part 12 (Blu-ray)
$31.69
A.I. Artificial Intelligence (Blu-ray)
$7.88
The Spectacular Now (Blu-ray)
$7.88
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 3D (Blu-ray)
$32.99
Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Flintstones (Blu-ray)
$8.99
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Nightbreed (Blu-ray)
$20.95
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$79.99
Scanners (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Planes: Fire & Rescue (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Bubble 3D (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Planes, Trains & Automobiles (Blu-ray)
$4.88
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 06-30-2009, 08:12 PM   #1
Special Member

Aug 2007
Near Sactown
Default I Love Surfing Documentaries on Blu!

As a former surfer myself, I really enjoy watching surfing documentaries. I own "Step Into Liquid", which is awesome (7.1 DTS HD-MA), but so far it's the only one that I know of on Blu. My favorites are "Riding Giants" and "Billabong Odyssey", which I have recorded on my DVR, but I really would like to see these in 1080p and lossless audio.

Some might say, "How many surfing shows do you need? They're are all the same." But those three shows are just a taste of the many different aspects of surfing styles, personalities and history.
  • "Riding Giants" is a tremendous feature on the history of Big Wave surfing, the colorful characters who started it all and the innovative crop of professionals who continue its traditions today.
  • "Billabong Odyssey" documents a group of surfers who travel around the world looking for the knarliest swells the oceans have to offer.
  • Whereas, "Step Into Liquid" is a kind of world promotional tour, with surfers who use the sport to promote good will, appreciation of the ocean and the freedom that surfing inspires, with people in other countries.
For example, three surfers travel to Ireland to surf and promote the sport to kids from both Catholic and Protestant communities. Normally separated by their differences, the kids realize that a common love of the ocean and the joy of surfing can be used to promote peaceful coexistence between them. It's more than just a "surfing show". You really come away from it with a positive feeling.

I can't get enough of them. Bring on the surfing Blu's!!
"I tried to live my life the best that I could. I hope that was enough. I hope that, at least in your eyes, I've earned what all of you have done for me." - Elderly James Ryan addressing Capt. Miller's Grave. (Thank you Vets!)

Playstation Home Username: XB49

Trade thread: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=32645

Last edited by Bluray_ne1; 06-30-2009 at 08:18 PM.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:18 PM   #2
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
Framingham, MA

It's not a surfing documentary, but it's supposed to be a pretty good sailing documentary, Morning Light.
Pioneer Elite KURO PRO-1150HD
Sony Playstation 4
Oppo BDP-83
Old 06-30-2009, 08:18 PM   #3
Blu-ray Duke

Dec 2007
Club Loop

The audio/music on Riding Giants at Mavericks would be !!!!!

And to hear Teahupoo suck and then dump would be awesome.

Cant get enough.

(former OC to San Diego rat)
Because Calamari Marionette Ph.D sounded pompous, that's why.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:21 PM   #4
Special Member

Aug 2007
Near Sactown

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquidPuppet View Post
The audio/music on Riding Giants at Mavericks would be !!!!!

And to hear Teahupoo suck and then dump would be awesome.

Cant get enough.

(former OC to San Diego rat)
Huntington Beach / Seal Beach for me! Those were the days! (late 70's - early 80's)

Laird Hamilton's ride at Teahupoo was the most amazing thing I've seen.
"I tried to live my life the best that I could. I hope that was enough. I hope that, at least in your eyes, I've earned what all of you have done for me." - Elderly James Ryan addressing Capt. Miller's Grave. (Thank you Vets!)

Old 06-30-2009, 08:23 PM   #5
Blu-ray Duke

Dec 2007
Club Loop

If you have not seen it, I strongly recommend "Bustin Down the Door". I am 49 so these guys were my heros....

Edward Norton narrates this riveting true story of a group of six young surfers from Australia and South Africa who changed the face of the sport in the 1970s with a revolutionary approach to surfing and a refreshingly rebellious attitude. Authentic footage from the era and interviews capture Wayne "Rabbit" Bartholomew, Peter Townend, Mark Richards, Ian Cairns and cousins Shaun and Michael Tomson in action both then … and now.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:26 PM   #6
Blu-ray Duke

Dec 2007
Club Loop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluray_ne1 View Post
Huntington Beach / Seal Beach for me! Those were the days! (late 70's - early 80's)

Laird Hamilton's ride at Teahupoo was the most amazing thing I've seen.
That wave is unreal....like a cartoon from the old days where artists would draw those really "fake" perfect waves. I'd love to spend a day in a tiny boat right there at the break sipping on a cold drink and watching those guys.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:29 PM   #7
Special Member

Aug 2007
Near Sactown

Quote:
That wave is unreal....like a cartoon from the old days where artists would draw those really "fake" perfect waves. I'd love to spend a day in a tiny boat right there at the break sipping on a cold drink and watching those guys.
Here's the ride...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYQQt...eature=related

The lip on that wave is so thick and heavy...if you get nailed by that you're gonna be hurtin'. Especially since its a shallow reef break.

Last edited by Bluray_ne1; 07-01-2009 at 01:19 AM.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:40 PM   #8
Blu-ray Duke

Dec 2007
Club Loop

Quote:
Here's the ride...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcaZa...eature=related

The lip on that wave is so thick and heavy...if you get nailed by that you're gonna be hurtin'. Especially since its a shallow reef break.
Thats all that wave IS....a LIP.

Can you imagine a paddling error and getting sucked over the falls? OH MY GAWD!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey...so have you seen Bustin Down the Door? If not...see it.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:52 PM   #9
Special Member

Aug 2007
Near Sactown

Quote:
Thats all that wave IS....a LIP.

Can you imagine a paddling error and getting sucked over the falls? OH MY GAWD!!!!!!!!!!!!

In Billabong Odyssey there is a shot of someone getting sucked over. Not a pretty site. Makes you hurt just watching it.

I'll look for it on NetFlix. Thanks for the heads-up!

Edit: Got it in the queue...

Last edited by Bluray_ne1; 06-30-2009 at 08:57 PM.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:27 PM   #10

May 2008

I surf as well (just got back fm Kuta in Bali) and love surfing docs.

Though it's not primarily a total surfing documentary, you might want to get the Blu-ray of EXTREME (by National Geographic). It was presented in IMAX previously and it showcases extreme sports in respect to nature (surfing, snowboarding, ice climbing, wind surfing & rock climbing). A lot of the shots are just astounding and it still probably has one of the best scenes of big wave surfing.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:38 PM   #11
Blu-ray Duke

Dec 2007
Club Loop

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiac161 View Post
I surf as well (just got back fm Kuta in Bali) and love surfing docs.

Though it's not primarily a total surfing documentary, you might want to get the Blu-ray of EXTREME (by National Geographic). It was presented in IMAX previously and it showcases extreme sports in respect to nature (surfing, snowboarding, ice climbing, wind surfing & rock climbing). A lot of the shots are just astounding and it still probably has one of the best scenes of big wave surfing.
Thanks...I'll check it out. What is the "scene" that you refer to?
Old 06-30-2009, 10:30 PM   #12

May 2008

Quote:
Thanks...I'll check it out. What is the "scene" that you refer to?
The first segment of the film is about big-wave surfing, and they mounted IMAX cameras on choppers to show the magnitude of these waves.

What surprised me about this documentary are the windsurfing scenes. I always thought windsurfing was a really tough sport with not much thrill, but this film changed my mind as to what these athletes can do.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:03 PM   #13
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2008
Urban Haute Bourgeoisie
Send a message via AIM to kndy

Quote:
As a former surfer myself, I really enjoy watching surfing documentaries.
I can't get enough of them. Bring on the surfing Blu's!!
There are some awesome films I would love to see on Blu-ray but I notice my surfing DVD habits were pretty much focusing on Tom Curren and Kelly Slater. I'm up for anything that features Occhy, Martin Potter, Derek Ho, Sunny Garcia stuff as well. And even newer surfers who are tearing up the scene like Mick Fanning, Bobby Martinez, Joel Parkinson, the Hobgoods, etc.

These are not all documentaries but nevertheless, would like to see them all on Blu.

Personally, I'd like to see all Drive-Thru releases
A Broke Down Melody
Flow - Gotta love Al Merrick
Riding Giants
Endless Summer I and II
Big Wednesday
And yeah, despite its hokiness, I did enjoy "North Shore"

I have a lot of the Taylor Knox DVD's and have the Campaign films and even old school Slater and Jack Johnson stuff as well, but I'm all up for it as long as they don't jack up the price of Blu's. Surfing DVD's are pretty expensive as they are at nearly $30 each. No way I'm going to pay $40 for a surfing BD.

Big wave fans may like "The Sixth Element" with Ross Clarke Jones documentary.

I also want to see "Letting Go" on Blu if possible, that 2004-2005 year between Andy Irons vs. Kelly Slater was unreal.

Purchased the 70's classic "Five Summer Stories" which was cool. But probably would never get Blu treatment since none of these would ever get a remastering job.

Feel Free to Add Me: XB360/PSN: kndynt2099/Wii: 8397 9641 9718 7362 / 3DS CODE: 4141-2473-3225

Last edited by kndy; 06-30-2009 at 11:31 PM.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:10 AM   #14
Special Member

Aug 2007
Near Sactown

Quote:
Originally Posted by kndy View Post
These are not all documentaries but nevertheless, would like to see them all on Blu.

Personally, I'd like to see all Drive-Thru releases
A Broke Down Melody
Flow - Gotta love Al Merrick
Riding Giants
Endless Summer I and II
Big Wednesday
And yeah, despite its hokiness, I did enjoy "North Shore"

... but I'm all up for it as long as they don't jack up the price of Blu's. Surfing DVD's are pretty expensive as they are at nearly $30 each. No way I'm going to pay $40 for a surfing BD.
I love Big Wednesday. Classic.

Speaking of "hokie", I have to admit I sort of liked Blue Crush. Maybe it was the bikinis, I don't know.

As far as prices go, Step Into Liquid was pretty cheap. I only paid $13 for the BD at Fry's.

Old 07-01-2009, 06:09 PM   #15
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

Quote:
I love Big Wednesday. Classic.

Speaking of "hokie", I have to admit I sort of liked Blue Crush. Maybe it was the bikinis, I don't know.

As far as prices go, Step Into Liquid was pretty cheap. I only paid $13 for the BD at Fry's.
you may have liked the bikinis, but I thought the cinematography was amazing - a guilty pleasure of mine, now bring on the bluray!
Old 07-01-2009, 06:13 PM   #16
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2008

I can watch Endless Summer over and over again. Riding giants and Step into Liquid are good too
Old 08-14-2009, 01:51 AM   #17
Special Member

Aug 2007
Near Sactown

Quote:
Quote:
I'll look for it on NetFlix. Thanks for the heads-up!

Edit: Got it in the queue...
Finally saw "Bustin' Down The Door" the other night. Great DVD!

I'd never heard any background on the Aussie bunch and how they grew into dominance, so it was a very interesting show. It was also the first time I'd heard about how the youthful arrogance and cultural ignorance of some of them really pissed off the Hawaiian surfers. They were right to be pissed though. Rabbit and Ian really should have handled their fame with a little more humility and respect. But it looks like everybody learned from it and moved on.

A great group of talented guys who earned their props and hold their rightful place as surfing legends. Thanks for the recommendation SquidPuppet!!

Old 08-14-2009, 06:40 PM   #18

Aug 2007
Send a message via ICQ to haste Send a message via AIM to haste

Quote:
Originally Posted by kndy View Post
Endless Summer I and II
i want these. at least II anyway...

i own step into liquid already and love it.
Philips 42" 1080p LCD w/Ambilight
Onkyo TX-SR605
Blu-ray movies - 81
Nvidia 9400 HDMI / Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H
Old 08-14-2009, 06:45 PM   #19
Banned

Jan 2009
USA

There's always "Surfer, Dude"! Only kidding!
Old 08-14-2009, 07:07 PM   #20
Blu-ray Duke

Dec 2007
Club Loop

Quote:
Finally saw "Bustin' Down The Door" the other night. Great DVD!

I'd never heard any background on the Aussie bunch and how they grew into dominance, so it was a very interesting show. It was also the first time I'd heard about how the youthful arrogance and cultural ignorance of some of them really pissed off the Hawaiian surfers. They were right to be pissed though. Rabbit and Ian really should have handled their fame with a little more humility and respect. But it looks like everybody learned from it and moved on.

A great group of talented guys who earned their props and hold their rightful place as surfing legends. Thanks for the recommendation SquidPuppet!!
Glad you liked it...I kinda figured you would. Yes, they certainly were pushing all the wrong buttons. It IS good that it all ended well, because for a while it was pretty scary.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America