Best Blu-ray Deals

Black Friday Sale is Live, $3.99 Blu-ray Movies »

Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Red 2 (Blu-ray)
$6.96
1 hr ago
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$7.99
19 hrs ago
Captain Phillips (Blu-ray)
$5.99
14 hrs ago
Gravity (Blu-ray)
$7.99
11 hrs ago
The LEGO Movie (Blu-ray)
$8.99
18 hrs ago
Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy (Blu-ray)
$3.99
12 hrs ago
12 Years a Slave (Blu-ray)
$6.96
1 hr ago
Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters (Blu-ray)
$6.96
2 hrs ago
Gangs of New York (Blu-ray)
$3.99
23 hrs ago
The King's Speech (Blu-ray)
$3.99
19 hrs ago
The Bourne Identity (Blu-ray)
$6.96
2 hrs ago
Killing Them Softly (Blu-ray)
$3.99

Breaking Bad: The Final Season (Blu-ray)
$9.99

A Million Ways to Die in the West (Blu-ray)
$9.00

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 06-24-2007, 12:06 PM   #1
Power Member

Dec 2006
Middle East,Lebanon
Default The Untouchables Blu-ray - PQ outstanding

http://www.hometheaterspot.com/fusio...hp?tid/137632/

Quote:

"Finally, a catalog title released this summer that deserves nothing but praise! Paramount has done an outstanding job with this release. The encode on the release is high bitrate AVC at a resolution of 1080p. Where this title shines though is in the fine detail, whether it is the individual stitches in a costume or the intricate details in the brownstone construction of Chicago, itís all there with fabulous detail. Another highlight in this department is the ceiling structure in the Chicago courthouse, where you are able to pick out individual details on the intricately painted ceiling. Colors are extremely well saturated, although I did notice some slight bleeding on occasion, especially in red, but this was a minor nuisance and given that the film is 20 years old, Iím willing to overlook this aspect of the transfer. Black levels are excellent as well in this one with shadow detail leaving nothing to be desired.

Audio:

"The audio on the BD is presented with a full bitrate DTS (1.5 Mbps)"

Enjoy it BD fans who admire The untouchables and i'm one of Them
Old 06-24-2007, 02:36 PM   #2

May 2007
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Hmm... Well, that was an interesting read. I may have to pick this up. One thing that I noticed and was curious about...

The Blu-Ray version is on a BD50 this an AVC codec, while the HD-DVD is a VC-1. Has this always been a standard procedure for Paramount High Def releases, to optimize the video codec for the respective formats, unlike Warner? I don't own any Paramount Blu-Rays yet and have been too lazy to look it up. I really hope this is the case, because I cannot wait to see Transformers on a BD50 w/ a high bitrate AVC later this year, or early next. Now, if only they would start using uncompressed audio as well...
Old 06-24-2007, 02:47 PM   #3

Sep 2006

This is good news indeed. I just wish Warner would do the same thing and optomize the release for each format instead of catering to the lowest common denominator.
"We found that, at this point, Blu-ray is worth the shelf space, and HD DVD is not." - Matthew Smith, Blockbuster SVP Merchandising
Old 06-24-2007, 05:03 PM   #4
Special Member

Mar 2007

Way to go Paramount. This is the second of two titles that I plan to pick up next week.
Old 06-24-2007, 06:59 PM   #5
Blu-ray Archduke

Mar 2007

buying it even if it "sucked" in blu-ray standards I love all blu-rays
Old 06-24-2007, 07:23 PM   #6
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2006
Ontario, Canada

'The Untouchables' is a must-buy, no matter what.
Old 06-24-2007, 07:24 PM   #7
Expert Member

Feb 2007
Queens, NY

Yeah definite must buy, it's an great movie...I'm even more excited to buy it now after reading that review!
Old 06-24-2007, 08:54 PM   #8

Aug 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperdine View Post
This is good news indeed. I just wish Warner would do the same thing and optomize the release for each format instead of catering to the lowest common denominator.
Interestingly though, if you read the HD-DVD review of the same movies, they say it looks exactly the same as the BD - even though it's VC-1, 30gb. So I'm willing to guess Warner's problems aren't entirely related to catering to the lowest common denominator -they're just being sloppy in general. Kinda like Universal. Anyway, it's great to see that Paramount is taking HD in general seriously, and once they start bringing out lossless audio, they'll be up there with Sony and Disney in terms of the quality of their releases.
Old 06-24-2007, 08:57 PM   #9
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2006
Ontario, Canada

Paramount has to be praised for how they are treating their older titles. I was actually impressed by how great 'Trading Places' looked on Blu-ray!

The movie never looked this good.
Old 06-30-2007, 09:32 AM   #10
Power Member

Dec 2006
Middle East,Lebanon

Another marvelous reviewer from DVDtalk has been chocked with the PQ of the Untouchables ON BD

Link: http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=28899

"The Image:
Paramount Pictures presents The Untouchables in its original aspect ratio of 2.35:1 in an AVC/MPEG-4 encoded 1080p transfer. I was quite literally shocked to see how good this movie looked in high definition. The film came out in 1988, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if someone told me it had come out in 2007. The colors are rich, bright, and solid. Shadow delineation is excellent. Detail level is off the charts. This is not only the best The Untouchables has ever looked, but it also better-looking than a good majority of HD discs of movies from any time period. The image quality alone demands that this Blu-ray be purchased and enjoyed over and over.

enjoy it my friends
Old 06-30-2007, 03:33 PM   #11
Power Member

Aug 2005
Sheffield, UK

It's an absolute stunner on BD.
Old 06-30-2007, 08:34 PM   #12

Apr 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorxpion View Post
Another marvelous reviewer from DVDtalk has been chocked with the PQ of the Untouchables ON BD

Link: http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=28899

"The Image:
Paramount Pictures presents The Untouchables in its original aspect ratio of 2.35:1 in an AVC/MPEG-4 encoded 1080p transfer. I was quite literally shocked to see how good this movie looked in high definition. The film came out in 1988, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if someone told me it had come out in 2007. The colors are rich, bright, and solid. Shadow delineation is excellent. Detail level is off the charts. This is not only the best The Untouchables has ever looked, but it also better-looking than a good majority of HD discs of movies from any time period. The image quality alone demands that this Blu-ray be purchased and enjoyed over and over.

enjoy it my friends
Is that the same clown that reviewed Apocalypto? DVD Talk is a waste of bandwith. Especially that tool Josh Z.
Old 07-01-2007, 03:32 AM   #13
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2006
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Send a message via Yahoo to WriteSimply Send a message via Skype™ to WriteSimply

I think Josh Zyber is now writing for HighDefDigest as well.

fuad
Old 07-07-2007, 05:58 PM   #14
Expert Member

Jan 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight-Errant View Post
It's an absolute stunner on BD.
^^ What he said.

I really liked the movie - watched it last night on blu-ray!
Outstanding.

Just put a review out in the Movies section.

Rup.
Old 07-07-2007, 07:55 PM   #15
Special Member

Mar 2007
collingdale,pa
Default can`t wait

ordered this along with 300 ,shooter and a few others ,i`m sure we`ll eb able to see what connery wrote in his own blood in more detail now ,since he was shot up so bad ,lol
Don`t ,don`t come in here california ,John Doe has the upper hand.
Old 07-08-2007, 09:05 AM   #16
Banned

Jul 2007

The transfer has apparently Edge Enhancement so I'll pass. EE sucks.
Old 07-08-2007, 09:42 AM   #17

Jun 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhafner View Post
The transfer has apparently Edge Enhancement so I'll pass. EE sucks.
What is Edge Enhancer and why does it suck???
Old 07-08-2007, 09:53 AM   #18
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2006
Ontario, Canada

I watched the whole movie tonight. As much as I hate to say it, but the PQ certainly is not 5-star.

I played this on my projector, and it looked quite good but some of the shots appeared to be soft when it clearly wasn't intended. I would give this one a 3.5, maybe 4 at times.

Now, about the edge enhancement... it's true. It stood out like a sore thumb in some scenes. Especially the close-up of Kevin Costner's character holding a gun. You could really see the pinkish halo around his hand.

Hope they'll go easy on the edge enhancement after this.

Regardless, the movie is worth owning on Blu-ray.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:02 AM   #19
Special Member

Jan 2007
Overlook Hotel
Send a message via AIM to Jack Torrance

Still, dvdtalk.com gives the hd-dud version 4 out of 5 for PQ (reviewed by that hack Josh Z) and the BD version gets a 5 out of 5 for PQ.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=28815

The press is finally starting to turn it seems.
"Bye... for now." -ETM
& "Find him. You know what to do... you know what to do." ETM to Johnny Fraddo

R.I.P. Eric the Actor (aka Eric the Midget): March 11, 1975 Ė September 20, 2014
Old 07-08-2007, 12:22 PM   #20

Jan 2007

SO they saw a clear difference in the Blu-ray version compared to the HDDVD version? Nice.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America