Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Fifth Element 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Alien: Covenant (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Alien: Covenant 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.63
Mars (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Heat (Blu-ray)
$6.99
Hopscotch (Blu-ray)
$27.99
The Breaking Point (Blu-ray)
$27.99
Zatoichi: The Blind Swordsman (Blu-ray)
$90.16
One-Punch Man: Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$40.68
The Mummy Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$44.99
X-Men Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Life 4K (Blu-ray)
$39.32
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

View Poll Results: Would you like it if Resume Play worked on all Blu-ray titles?
Yes 190 85.97%
No 8 3.62%
I don't care if it does or it doesn't 23 10.41%
Voters: 221. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-11-2009, 09:36 PM   #1
Special Member

Feb 2008
Region B
Default Resume Play feature on Blu-ray titles

Would you like it if Resume Play worked on Blu-ray titles, just like it does on standard definition DVDs?

By Resume Play, I mean after you press stop on a Blu-ray title pressing play will always continue on from the point you were at when you pressed stop instead of having to load the entire disc from the start again and then go into scene selection to get back to approximately where you were. Same thing for when you press pause for a while and then the Blu-ray player automatically goes into stop mode.

Last edited by 4K2K; 07-11-2009 at 09:41 PM.
Old 07-11-2009, 10:23 PM   #2
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2008

Resume play works on non BD-J titles. Its a technical limitation of the BD-J programming language.
Old 07-11-2009, 10:27 PM   #3
Power Member

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_dave View Post
Resume play works on non BD-J titles. Its a technical limitation of the BD-J programming language.
I suspect it's more a limitation of the way it's been implemented thus far. Surely it can't be beyond the capabilities of software and hardware designers to come up with a way of doing for Blu-ray what DVDs and DVD players have been capable of doing for years.
Blu-ray players Panasonic BDT170, Sony BDP3700 (Multi-region), Denon X4100W receiver, Panasonic 46PZ80 Plasma TV, 5.0 speaker system: KEF Reference Model 3 (fronts), KEF Model 200C (centre), Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 (surrounds) (subwoofer to be added shortly)
Old 07-11-2009, 10:34 PM   #4
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2008

No, it is a technical limition of BD-J:

From Sony:
Quote:
Resume play won't work because BD-J application in the disc disables the resume function. The Java software controls playback plus all the interactive content (like what Windows OS does on the computer). When you hit stop, or turn off the player, the Java application on the disc reboots in the next playback. This results in resuming playback from the beginning of the disc. Therefore you should use pause instead of stop for Blu-ray disc that supports BD-J application.
Sony's compromise for Resume is the Bookmark function:
Quote:
Is there a resume playback equivalent in Blu-ray player that utilizes Java?

Yes, it is possible using Bookmarks on the Blu-ray disc depending on disc type.
Old 07-11-2009, 11:53 PM   #5
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2006
Find Me!

yes...
Uplay: JasonVoorhees98
Steam: JasonVoorhees987
Origin: JasonVoorhees987
XBL: CMaggotbone
Social Club: GrimReaper4383
PSN: GrimReaper4383
My PSN Profile Destiny "Public Events"
My Blu-Ray Collection My Destiny Profiles Battleborn Shift Codes
Old 07-12-2009, 05:04 AM   #6

Jul 2009

I thought I've read that resume is a feature on a disc-by-disc basis, although there must certainly be a bd player intelligent enough to figure it out.
Old 07-12-2009, 07:07 AM   #7
Contributor

Jun 2007
California

PS3 has it but as mentioned before not on the BD-Java titles but other titles resume play will work
America "Was" Great
Old 07-12-2009, 10:15 PM   #8
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2009
Pequannock, NJ

Yea sure why not.
"What are you people....on dope ?"
Old 07-12-2009, 10:19 PM   #9

Apr 2009

Yes I would love it.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:36 PM   #10
Suspended

Jul 2009

This is the thing I like least about the format. It's so silly that it can't perform the simplest of functions aside from on non BD-J discs.

Bookmarks are a good solution to the problem, I'll admit, but it's still annoying.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:59 PM   #11

Jun 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryptonic View Post
This is the thing I like least about the format. It's so silly that it can't perform the simplest of functions aside from on non BD-J discs.

Bookmarks are a good solution to the problem, I'll admit, but it's still annoying.
At least for me, all features work fine on non-BD-J discs.
Old 07-12-2009, 11:02 PM   #12
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Dover, Pennsylvania PSN:WORKINtheCORNER
Send a message via MSN to PH3AR Send a message via Skype™ to PH3AR

I can never stop a movie and pick it back up like a couple hours later i just cant do it i make sure i have enough time to finishes a movie
Last Blu-ray Watched: Guardians of the Galaxy (PQ 5/5, AQ 5/5, MOVIE 5/5)
Last Blu-ray(s) Bought: Mad Max: Fury Road (BB Steelbook) & Big Bang Theory Season 8
Most Wanted Blus: 1941, Bad Boys II, and True Lies
My Home Theater Thread | PSN Profile
"oh wait... time to check in on a random Beef-Jerky or 50 Year Old Hot Actress thread"-Beta Man
"Just wait till I start talking about my juicebar adventures.."-Moefiz
"well, i have the best of both worlds. i'm married to my HT"-Sussudio
Old 07-12-2009, 11:13 PM   #13
Suspended

Jul 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipperWasIrish View Post
At least for me, all features work fine on non-BD-J discs.
What I mean is that the only discs that will resume when stopped are non BD-J discs, a lot of Warner titles for example.
Old 07-12-2009, 11:34 PM   #14
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Morrison View Post
I suspect it's more a limitation of the way it's been implemented thus far. Surely it can't be beyond the capabilities of software and hardware designers to come up with a way of doing for Blu-ray what DVDs and DVD players have been capable of doing for years.
my guess a bit of both. I think if they realy wanted, then they could make it work on the title, but BD-J is not the same as DVD, it is a computer program and that means that it needs to run from the start. So it can't be "like DVD" if BD-J is used. On the other hand could there be an other option? I don't know, but maybe one day someone will find a way to make it work some way.
Old 07-12-2009, 11:57 PM   #15
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_dave View Post
No, it is a technical limition of BD-J:

From Sony:

Sony's compromise for Resume is the Bookmark function:
I am no BD-J programmer, and not sure what it can and can't do or how much info it can get from the player. But let's make a completely made up example. Let's say a title is authored so that when launching it resets (erases) a special bookmark that we will call "LSL" (last stop location), if you press stop during play back (watching movie) then it sets the LSL book mark to be that location. Now when loading the movie it checks if there is a LSL bookmark and if so loads the stuff but starts the movie from that locattion.

This is obviously a simplification, with BD-J there can be much more and that complicates stuff. For example:
Sony has Blue wizard on many titles (i.e. choose what extras to include during play back...) so would it know what extras you picked to add them back during play back?
Does BD-J offer to the program to know and over ride "stop" at least long enough to record the book mark?
BD-live connection, capabilities of player.... most likely are still needed at loading, and the rest for creating the menu and stuff, so maybe "start back on play" might not be realistic.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:50 AM   #16
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2007
Vancouver, BC

I would only want this feature if it remained exclusively functional so long as the player is turned on.

I can't watch half a film, stop for a few days/weeks and then come back to the same point to finish it. I have to start a film over again if I'm interrupted. The films are made to be watched from start to finish. Doing anything else is not experiencing the film properly. And, as a result, I would hate it if I put a disc into the player and it took me straight to the middle of the film.

I'd rather not have Resume Play incorporated at all. It's bad for the artistic element of the film productions.
HT EQUIPMENT: Sony Bravia KDL-52W3000, Onkyo 805, B&W M-1s & AS-2 Sub, 60GB PS3, Toshiba HD-A2

FOR SALE/TRADE THREAD: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=55884
Old 07-13-2009, 12:55 AM   #17
Special Member

Oct 2008
Le Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcowboy7 View Post
Yea sure why not.
yhea why not ?!?!? who could vote no ???!?!
Old 07-13-2009, 12:57 AM   #18
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2007
Vancouver, BC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blodiak View Post
yhea why not ?!?!? who could vote no ???!?!
I could... and did!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petra_Kalbrain View Post
I would only want this feature if it remained exclusively functional so long as the player is turned on.

I can't watch half a film, stop for a few days/weeks and then come back to the same point to finish it. I have to start a film over again if I'm interrupted. The films are made to be watched from start to finish. Doing anything else is not experiencing the film properly. And, as a result, I would hate it if I put a disc into the player and it took me straight to the middle of the film.

I'd rather not have Resume Play incorporated at all. It's bad for the artistic element of the film productions.
HT EQUIPMENT: Sony Bravia KDL-52W3000, Onkyo 805, B&W M-1s & AS-2 Sub, 60GB PS3, Toshiba HD-A2

FOR SALE/TRADE THREAD: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=55884
Old 07-13-2009, 01:07 AM   #19
Special Member

Dec 2007

With profile 2.0 compliant players there should be space allocated within memory for anything that needs to be saved and it should be saved and saved over when a disc stops multiple times. To allow multiple discs some sort of movie title could precede the saved data.

Its seems more like a standard that needs to implemented in the software programming of all BD-J discs. Certainly not an impossibility.
Old 07-13-2009, 01:29 AM   #20
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2007
Everett, WA

I guess it's too much of a hassle to press one little button to save (bookmark) your progress on a movie. Kind of like if your writting a Word document, you just don't exit without saving.
I am disillusioned enough to know that no man's opinion on any subject is worth a damn unless backed up with enough genuine information to make him really know what he's talking about. - H. P. Lovecraft

Vinyl collection on Discogs
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America