Best Blu-ray Deals

Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Guardians of the Galaxy 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Entourage: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$96.99
Deadwood: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$58.99
Treme: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$64.99
Battlestar Galactica: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$89.99
Dallas Buyers Club (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Sons of Anarchy: Seasons 1-6 (Blu-ray)
$119.99
Rise of the Guardians 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Bridesmaids (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Big Hero 6 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Django Unchained (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Expendables 2 (Blu-ray)
$5.99
The Maze Runner (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Ride Along (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2009, 06:27 PM   #21
SonOfArathorn SonOfArathorn is offline
Power Member
 
May 2009
549
9
1
Default

He's well on his way. Except currently the movies he's in are funny, maybe not because of him, and possibly in SPITE of him, but they're funny by and large. Ferrell has never done anything that made me laugh, except his career choices of course.

Sadly, both of these guys have legions of fans.

That's America for you.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 06:31 PM   #22
Groo The Perverted Groo The Perverted is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Groo The Perverted's Avatar
 
Aug 2008
2
12
229
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by master_8ball View Post
This isn't really such a big deal and happens all the time... If I wanted a Batpod with my Dark Knight I would have bought it at Amazon. If I wanted a Ironman face mask case I would have bought Ironman at HMV... If I wanted the extra 13 min of improv I would have bought Zack & Miri at Blockbuster. The list goes on and on, exclusives have been around since dvd and I would imagine even before that.
I don't think you understand what's the situation.

The 13 minutes was split up onto two editions. One edition got half of it and the Blockbuster got the OTHER HALF.

Neither edition has the entire 13 minutes.

Each one has only half of the entire thing.

Imagine getting a movie and the making of documentry was split up and you had to buy the widescreen edition AND the fullscreen edition to see the entire thing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 06:57 PM   #23
master_8ball master_8ball is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
master_8ball's Avatar
 
Jan 2008
Ontario, Canada
16
659
7
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming in Blu View Post
I don't think you understand what's the situation.

The 13 minutes was split up onto two editions. One edition got half of it and the Blockbuster got the OTHER HALF.

Neither edition has the entire 13 minutes.

Each one has only half of the entire thing.

Imagine getting a movie and the making of documentry was split up and you had to buy the widescreen edition AND the fullscreen edition to see the entire thing.
Do you have this Blockbuster exclusive? My understanding of this release is that you buy the same edition that is everywhere else but when you bought it at Blockbuster you got an extra disc.

Either way complaining about 6 1/2 minutes of cut special features seems petty to me, they are called extras for a reason.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 07:01 PM   #24
benricci benricci is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
benricci's Avatar
 
Sep 2008
1
Default

It's such a throw-away extra, though. Who really cares? Let it go...
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 07:28 PM   #25
Riff Magnum Riff Magnum is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Riff Magnum's Avatar
 
Apr 2008
The Island
149
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by benricci View Post
It's such a throw-away extra, though. Who really cares? Let it go...
Well, they(studios) might try to pull something like this on something that you care about and then it might become harder to ignore. No?
My Rock and/or Roll band: http://ghostmanonfirst.bandcamp.com/
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 07:34 PM   #26
benricci benricci is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
benricci's Avatar
 
Sep 2008
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riff Magnum View Post
Well, they(studios) might try to pull something like this on something that you care about and then it might become harder to ignore. No?
Meh, it's such a worthless extra. I probably wouldn't care. It's not like we're talking about an hour long documentary chronicling the making of a classic film or something.

It's like 5 minutes of Seth Rogan making faces in the camera. Do you really need to own it that badly?
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 07:56 PM   #27
Riff Magnum Riff Magnum is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Riff Magnum's Avatar
 
Apr 2008
The Island
149
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by benricci View Post
Meh, it's such a worthless extra. I probably wouldn't care. It's not like we're talking about an hour long documentary chronicling the making of a classic film or something.

It's like 5 minutes of Seth Rogan making faces in the camera. Do you really need to own it that badly?

So if there was a never before seen 2 hour documentary on the making of Citizen Kane, and one part you had to buy at Best Buy and the other half you had to buy at Target, that wouldn't make you mad? If the studios feel this kind of cross promotion is profitable, then i wouldn't be surprised if they try more of it.
The fact that you feel this particular special feature isn't special at all is besides the point.
My Rock and/or Roll band: http://ghostmanonfirst.bandcamp.com/
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 08:08 PM   #28
benricci benricci is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
benricci's Avatar
 
Sep 2008
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riff Magnum View Post
So if there was a never before seen 2 hour documentary on the making of Citizen Kane, and one part you had to buy at Best Buy and the other half you had to buy at Target, that wouldn't make you mad? If the studios feel this kind of cross promotion is profitable, then i wouldn't be surprised if they try more of it.
The fact that you feel this particular special feature isn't special at all is besides the point.
I guess we see things differently. I don't feel I have to buy anything.

Plus your example is pretty ridiculous and unrealistic. Splitting a narrative feature like a feature length documentary across retail stores is incredibly unlikely and makes no logical sense, even for profit-hungry studios.

Providing more extras or exclusive extras is a much more realistic expectation of what's gonna happen. In that case, I'll pick the release with the extras that I care about (if any) and move on with my life.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 09:16 PM   #29
Groo The Perverted Groo The Perverted is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Groo The Perverted's Avatar
 
Aug 2008
2
12
229
Default

Whether or not you care for Seth Rogen (which you obviously don't) is irrelevant. And just because YOU view extras as completely worthless (which you apparantly do), doesn't mean that anyone who has an altering opinion, that they're opinion doesn't matter.

And this isn't even close to being the same thing as one edition having different extras. It's splitting a specific extra up into two different editions, essentially telling you if you want to see the whole thing, you have to at least RENT the second edition (of the exact same movie) just to see that extra. It's stupid and as I said, I don't recall a studio EVER doing something like that.

The shelves are littered with special editions, ultimate editions, etc that have specific extras exclusive to that edition.

There's also "Best Buy Exclusives" and whatnot in CDS where specific editions you get extra tracks.

THAT would be the closest analogy (the music one), as they all have the same set number of tracks, but each edition from various stores have an extra DIFFERENT track on it.

I just think it's fairly lame to do this. You can not give a damn, and that's within your right. You can view extras as unnecessary and pine for the day that you can drop 30 bucks on a bluray with just a movie on it which will somehow cause the stars and moons to align bringing peace on earth and good will towards men, that doesn't negate the fact that people who DO find it stupid that the studios would do this, HAVE A POINT.

And this isn't gonna be that big a problem for me, because luckily I have a friend who hasn't seen it and he's gonna rent it from Blockbuster where he has a membership, and I'll just borrow it from him to see it.

Just think it's lame is all, and it appears I'm not the only one who feels that way.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 09:21 PM   #30
benricci benricci is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
benricci's Avatar
 
Sep 2008
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming in Blu View Post
And just because YOU view extras as completely worthless (which you apparantly do), doesn't mean that anyone who has an altering opinion, that they're opinion doesn't matter.
I never said extras were worthless. I appreciate bonus features very much. I also happen to like Seth Rogan. Perhaps you shouldn't make assumptions about what I like, since you're wrong on both accounts....

This particular feature was pretty worthless, in my opinion, which is why I'm not up in arms or upset about it.

Is it kinda lame for them to do this? Sure.
Am I losing sleep over it? No.

Last edited by benricci; 07-16-2009 at 09:23 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 02:12 PM   #31
OARmaster OARmaster is offline
Banned
 
May 2009
8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by benricci View Post
I never said extras were worthless.
I did
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 12:31 AM   #32
Groo The Perverted Groo The Perverted is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Groo The Perverted's Avatar
 
Aug 2008
2
12
229
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OARmaster View Post
I did
I might have screwed that up then. lol. Sorry benricci.

I saw the improv on my disc, and it would be interesting to see the other half.

I have to say that Seth's laugh is annoying as hell. lol.

But there was some really funny stuff in there. To me anyway *shrugs*
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 01:53 AM   #33
SonOfArathorn SonOfArathorn is offline
Power Member
 
May 2009
549
9
1
Default

This thread has gone on far too long...
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 01:58 AM   #34
OrlandoEastwood OrlandoEastwood is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
OrlandoEastwood's Avatar
 
Jun 2008
Mexico, OH
76
545
2
85
24
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming in Blu View Post
Okay that title may have been a bit over the top, but this has really irritated me.

So I ordered the Zack and Miri Make a Porno and it'll get here tomorrow. So I was looking through the internet for reviews of the extras, and found out that there's an extra called "Seth vs. Justin" and it's a 13 minute improv fest between the two in that hilarious scene in the movie @ the High School Reunion.

However, and this is what's got me angry, is that they split up the 13 minute improv clip into TWO SEPARATE ONES, on two different releases.

So the regular editions get half of it (seth vs. justin pt. 1) and the only way you can see the second half is to rent the Blockbuster release?????

ARE YOU KIDDING ME????

This is about as shameless as I've ever seen. Double dipping is one thing, but having a major extra like that split up over two different editions of the movie (identical in every other way) is just insane.

In fact I don't think I've ever heard of a studio doing this, and can't believe that Kevin Smith would go for that. He's always been someone that's been a "fan first" kinda guy.

Throw in the fact that there is no commentary on here, and that's two strikes against a Kevin Smith release that normally gets ZERO complaints from me.

What is everyone else's take on this? Am I over reacting? I realize some people don't give a damn about the extras and all, and on most releases I'd agree, but Smith's releases have always been jam packed with really entertaining things, including documentaries on every aspect of making the movie that tends to run even longer than the actual movie.
I think the whole reason why The Weinstein Company is going downhill is because they decided to just have all releases got to Blockbuster and Blockbuster only. If another video chain wants films from The Weinstein Company, they would have to go to the stores and buy it themselves. Plus the way they've screwed over fans on several movies.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Similar Threads
thread Forum Thread Starter Replies Last Post
Zack and Miri Make a Porno Movies jbute2k2 20 10-20-2008 04:46 PM


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:27 AM.